BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #23
SEI
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jakarta

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
i only have 500 miles on my new trophy bbk with the ST perf pads and I have read they do not have the initial bite the stock system had but what I am feeling is what seems to be a small dead spot then plenty of brakes. I got use to it and can work with it fine but I am curious if that is common to the system or it is just a matter of a pad change to get better initial bite?
could it be ur pads arent bedded in yet? when i installed my trophy i couldnt brake at all.. after like 20km the initial bite is alot stronger then the standard brakes..
__________________

now: 2008 335i (E92), 2011 M3 (E92), X3 35i (F25),2012 E63 AMG (W212)
gone:2009 GTR, 2007 335i (E93) 2004 M3 (HPF stg 3), 2008 Civic Lx, 2007 Z4M Roadster, 2001 Gembala GT550, 2007 CLS 55, 2007 STI, 2004 M3
SEI is offline   Indonesia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 01:34 AM   #24
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEI View Post
could it be ur pads aren't bedded in yet? when i installed my trophy i couldn't brake at all.. after like 20km the initial bite is a lot stronger then the standard brakes..
Yes, it was what everyone said. I had them bleed the system again, I followed stoptech's bed-in procedure and then it was better. After changing from track pads back to the ST pads I had to do the bed in procedure twice before getting the bite back. Also, there is a slight learning curve due to they have a different braking characteristic than the stock set up and pads had. The stock system would bite hard and then even off as friction builds. The trophy kit with the street performance pads has a moderate bite and then grabs harder as the friction builds.
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
Yes, it was what everyone said. I had them bleed the system again, I followed stoptech's bed-in procedure and then it was better. After changing from track pads back to the ST pads I had to do the bed in procedure twice before getting the bite back. Also, there is a slight learning curve due to they have a different braking characteristic than the stock set up and pads had. The stock system would bite hard and then even off as friction builds. The trophy kit with the street performance pads has a moderate bite and then grabs harder as the friction builds.
Good to hear. Going to be at autobahn oct. 8 and RA oct 13-14, hope to see you out there, we'll see who can brake later
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #26
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Good to hear. Going to be at autobahn oct. 8 and RA oct 13-14, hope to see you out there, we'll see who can brake later
With the DTC pads I was braking a marker and half later than I used too and way over braking and killing momentum. Its going to take me a few times out to get used to the dramatic change in brake torque. Hoping to go to Autobahn soon myself before the season ends around here, I have one more track day left on my rear tires
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #27
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,357
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
On the initial install, I'd use a rubber mallet to tap the caliper while bleeding which helps to get the air out of the system.

If you don't read the instructions...you probably won't realize that you NEED to wash the rotors with soap and water before installation.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #28
grussell
Private First Class
 
grussell's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SG E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Valencia, CA

Posts: 124
iTrader: (3)

Used my Trophy's at the track (Buttonwillow) for the first time on Saturday. I installed Pagid RS29 pads front and rear, Motul 660 and used a Motive Power Bleeder to bleed the brakes.

It was hot but the Trophy's performed flawlessly lap after lap, session after session. Zero fade and great pedal feel. I drove to the track and back with the RS29's and they were quiet and had plenty of bite even when cold. I did not do anything to bed them in on the way to the track.

Awesome brakes!
grussell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 04:15 AM   #29
SEI
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jakarta

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
On the initial install, I'd use a rubber mallet to tap the caliper while bleeding which helps to get the air out of the system.

If you don't read the instructions...you probably won't realize that you NEED to wash the rotors with soap and water before installation.
hahaha this!! i did this! i tried to brake and it just kept going.. forgot that the rotors comes oiled hahaha.. scared the shit outta me..
__________________

now: 2008 335i (E92), 2011 M3 (E92), X3 35i (F25),2012 E63 AMG (W212)
gone:2009 GTR, 2007 335i (E93) 2004 M3 (HPF stg 3), 2008 Civic Lx, 2007 Z4M Roadster, 2001 Gembala GT550, 2007 CLS 55, 2007 STI, 2004 M3
SEI is offline   Indonesia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #30
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

Name:  18 pic.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  256.5 KB
380mm-6 Pistons and they fit under my winter 18's = Priceless! The kit has settled in well. I am very happy with the feel of them now. I am looking forward to next season.
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #31
dex37
Second Lieutenant
 
dex37's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
Attachment 792643
380mm-6 Pistons and they fit under my winter 18's = Priceless! The kit has settled in well. I am very happy with the feel of them now. I am looking forward to next season.
That's interesting. Do you use spacer?
dex37 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #32
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
That's interesting. Do you use spacer?
Yes I do, 12.5mm all around but the rear wheel clears the ST40 without spacers.
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #33
dex37
Second Lieutenant
 
dex37's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
Yes I do, 12.5mm all around but the rear wheel clears the ST40 without spacers.

That's great. Do you know if the 219m wheels will also fit with spacer? Front rim is 8,5x18 ET29.
I use a set of 219m wheels in winter and I would like to keep these.
dex37 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #34
Omerta
rev limiter abuser
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 260
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
That's great. Do you know if the 219m wheels will also fit with spacer? Front rim is 8,5x18 ET29.
I use a set of 219m wheels in winter and I would like to keep these.
Not sure... What I did was print out the template(make sure your printer settings are not altering the size) then checked the wheel and after it failed I altered the template by 12mm. I checked again and it cleared. I then borrowed a set of 12.5mm and checked with the front wheels to make sure there was no rubbing.
__________________
Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
Omerta is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #35
dex37
Second Lieutenant
 
dex37's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
Not sure... What I did was print out the template(make sure your printer settings are not altering the size) then checked the wheel and after it failed I altered the template by 12mm. I checked again and it cleared. I then borrowed a set of 12.5mm and checked with the front wheels to make sure there was no rubbing.
Thanks! I'll do that when the time for BBK comes.
dex37 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #36
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,008
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omerta View Post
Attachment 792643
380mm-6 Pistons and they fit under my winter 18's = Priceless! The kit has settled in well. I am very happy with the feel of them now. I am looking forward to next season.
Stoptech 380mm ST-60 will fit under most 18" wheels, some will require a small spacer to clear the spokes.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #37
dex37
Second Lieutenant
 
dex37's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Stoptech 380mm ST-60 will fit under most 18" wheels, some will require a small spacer to clear the spokes.
AP and Brembo GT the same?
dex37 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #38
AxisMagi
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E90 Lemans Blue
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 92
iTrader: (0)

I was debating between Alcon and Stoptech and just pulled the trigger
and ordered a set of ST Trophy Sport. The cost of replacement parts
was the deciding factor for me. Stoptech rotors costing 3 times less than
Alcon it seemed unlikely that Alcons would last three times longer even if
their build quality is better. Will write up impressions of the ST Trophy Sport
after the jump.

Axis
__________________
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP Lemans Blue / ESS VT2-600 Supercharger / Stoptech Trophy BBK / M-Performance Exhaust / Ohlins Road & Track / Audiophile Sound System / Beltronics STir Plus & LI
AxisMagi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #39
Richard@M-World
 
Richard@M-World's Avatar
 
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TX/IL

Posts: 683
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
AP and Brembo GT the same?
Brembo 380 will not fit, but Brembo 365 will, which is what I have on my track car and more than enough anyway for heavy track duty... unless you want the extra bling bling.
__________________
Authorized AiM Dealer - Solo/Solo DL | SmartyCam HD | www.m-world.us
Richard@M-World is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #40
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,008
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
AP and Brembo GT the same?
Brembo GT will require a minimum of 19" wheels.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #41
dex37
Second Lieutenant
 
dex37's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
Brembo 380 will not fit, but Brembo 365 will, which is what I have on my track car and more than enough anyway for heavy track duty... unless you want the extra bling bling.
Thanks! I am also looking for performance not for show. I was wondering if the 15mm more brake disk make that much difference. Did you upgrade only the front? There is a possibility to buy a Porsche GT3 6Piston Caliper adapted for the stock brake rotor and I was wondering if I will get a noticable improvement. The price is quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Brembo GT will require a minimum of 19" wheels.
Thanks for the info!
dex37 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #42
Richard@M-World
 
Richard@M-World's Avatar
 
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TX/IL

Posts: 683
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
Thanks! I am also looking for performance not for show. I was wondering if the 15mm more brake disk make that much difference. Did you upgrade only the front? There is a possibility to buy a Porsche GT3 6Piston Caliper adapted for the stock brake rotor and I was wondering if I will get a noticable improvement. The price is quite good.
If you compare the weights (thermal capacity) of the front discs between the 380 and 365, you will find that they are actually very similar. Plus now you have less rotational inertia. I think the choice is pretty obvious.

Yes I run front only. Works very well.
__________________
Authorized AiM Dealer - Solo/Solo DL | SmartyCam HD | www.m-world.us
Richard@M-World is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #43
dex37
Second Lieutenant
 
dex37's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
If you compare the weights (thermal capacity) of the front discs between the 380 and 365, you will find that they are actually very similar. Plus now you have less rotational inertia. I think the choice is pretty obvious.

Yes I run front only. Works very well.
Unsprung weight should also be lower. I still wonder why they put such huge disk at the back of the GTS. As far as I know, the E9x M3 has only problems with the front brakes. Sport brake pads are usually enough.
dex37 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #44
Richard@M-World
 
Richard@M-World's Avatar
 
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TX/IL

Posts: 683
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
Unsprung weight should also be lower. I still wonder why they put such huge disk at the back of the GTS. As far as I know, the E9x M3 has only problems with the front brakes. Sport brake pads are usually enough.
For such a low production volume, pet-project car, it's all about breaking even financially (or lose as little as possible). Therefore they used off-the-shelf Brembo calipers which were designed to work on rotors of specific sizes.
__________________
Authorized AiM Dealer - Solo/Solo DL | SmartyCam HD | www.m-world.us
Richard@M-World is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST