BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
GBMW6612
Private
United_States
4
Rep
57
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW X3M
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

One day M driving school

Can anyone tell me about their experience on the one day class if it was worth doing. Just got a 2013 M3 and would love to take the class. Is it something that is worth while???
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
lcrain
Captain
14
Rep
840
Posts

 
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

I haven't done it, but I am willing to bet that most who have taken the class will say it is certainly worth your while. Whether it is worth your money is a completely different story. ~$1500 is a lot of coin to drop for a driving school. You can do 10 open track days for that much, with an instructor.

Granted the situations you are able to experience at the BMW M school will likely be a great experience, don't think I am discrediting the M school. As someone who considers track time as a hobby, I consider $1500 on one track day to be too much haha. But if you have no previous experience, want to see different scenarios, have some money burning a hole in your pocket and don't want to use your own car then go for it! Report back.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
MDyDinanM's Avatar
United_States
57
Rep
2,090
Posts

 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Red GTR
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I haven't done it, but I am willing to bet that most who have taken the class will say it is certainly worth your while. Whether it is worth your money is a completely different story. ~$1500 is a lot of coin to drop for a driving school. You can do 10 open track days for that much, with an instructor.

Granted the situations you are able to experience at the BMW M school will likely be a great experience, don't think I am discrediting the M school. As someone who considers track time as a hobby, I consider $1500 on one track day to be too much haha. But if you have no previous experience, want to see different scenarios, have some money burning a hole in your pocket and don't want to use your own car then go for it! Report back.
Not quite apples to apples though. The M school provides a car, so you don't need to get track insurance for you car or worry about crashing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
lcrain
Captain
14
Rep
840
Posts

 
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
Not quite apples to apples though. The M school provides a car, so you don't need to get track insurance for you car or worry about crashing it.
Which is why I mentioned "don't want to use your own car." Obviously it is tough to compare a good driving school to HPDE's. I am beginning to think I need to do a good driving course...they are all so expensive though.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Red GTR
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Which is why I mentioned "don't want to use your own car." Obviously it is tough to compare a good driving school to HPDE's. I am beginning to think I need to do a good driving course...they are all so expensive though.
Oops. Didn't see that.

I haven't done either yet, but might try an HPDE next year!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
FogCityM3
Lieutenant Colonel
FogCityM3's Avatar
36
Rep
1,743
Posts

 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Did the 2 day..totally worth it, and you get A LOT of wheel/track time with some really cool exercises (heel/toeing in the 1M). BMW CCA membership gets you 15% off (used to be 20% in past).

Admin Edit:
Here is a great 2 Day M School journal by another member: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654085
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Grayblack
Lieutenant
Grayblack's Avatar
4
Rep
442
Posts

 
Drives: M5 F10 Space Gray
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

I did the one day m school. It was totally worth it. You can drive the hell out of the m3, m5 and m6. The instructors actually encourage you to drive the cars hard. The best part about the whole thing is it's not your car!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
nmehta211
Second Lieutenant
7
Rep
279
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

One day is great, but if you can do the 2 day, it's even better.
Hell, I even sold the helmet they give away for $300 bucks if you need to defray some of the cost differential (I already had a helmet), and they include hotel and all meals.
__________________

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
ChiTownM
Private First Class
ChiTownM's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 & X5M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Agree that the 2 day school is the way to go, and make sure to get your BMWCCA membership for the discount. Great suggestion on selling the helmet, I got one in my garage from my Labor Day MSchool.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #11
B757236
New Member
B757236's Avatar
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I know mike and some of the other guys at the PC. They are great and the run a top notch operation here. Greenville, especially downtown, is a neat place to visit as well. I think any of the M schools are worth it. But I am spoiled that our BMW cca chapter does 2 autox events a year at the PC for 50 bucks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
118
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I haven't done it, but I am willing to bet that most who have taken the class will say it is certainly worth your while. Whether it is worth your money is a completely different story. ~$1500 is a lot of coin to drop for a driving school. You can do 10 open track days for that much, with an instructor.

.
good perspective. You'll be driving a M3 either way. The school uses M5s and provide food and drink service. At the end of the day, is dropping that much coin for the same instructions worth driving an M5 ( but not your car) and getting some food?

Track days are a lot cheaper and will receive the same instructions. It's highly focused, but there are a lot of down time. Track days are like "camping out". There's no members lounge, or leather sofa, or drink service, or even AC buildings. You're basically hanging out with your car and other drivers for the whole day (literally like 12 hours), with lots of down time.

Personally, I would choose the track days, it's the ultimate hardcore experience for a car guy. I"m price conscience and can get a lot of other value out of $1200, like go on vacation for even do 5 track day events. With 5 events, you'll come out a better driver than 1 session at the M school.

Last edited by mdosu; 12-01-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
donovan
Brigadier General
donovan's Avatar
Germany
73
Rep
3,551
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: le' Murica

iTrader: (12)

Way to expensive
__________________


e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
147
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post

Personally, I would choose the track days, it's the ultimate hardcore experience for a car guy. I"m price conscience and can get a lot of other value out of $1200, like go on vacation for even do 5 track day events. With 5 events, you'll come out a better driver than 1 session at the M school.
Agree 100%
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
james33
Private First Class
2
Rep
124
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Memphis, TN

iTrader: (0)

One thing to think about is that you are driving their cars:

- No track insurance needed
- You wreck, it's not on your insurance at all
- It's their tires and brakes and wear and tear
- You get A LOT of seat time. I did the 2 day school and besides about an hour each morning to go over the day, the rest was driving.
- All of the Instructors are EXCELLENT and VERY qualified. The ones I've had at track days have run the gamut from poor to excellent.

I loved it but it was expensive, even with the discount.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
2
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

It is expensive. However, for a first time track-er it is a great experience. The first time I went to the track I was nervous beyond belief. Everyone seemed to know where to go and what to do already -- the confidence you get after your first time. The M school allows you to learn the basics while not having to worry about some major items .. your car & insurance!

Make sure to sign up with BMW CCA and use the discount if applicable.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
james33
Private First Class
2
Rep
124
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Memphis, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
One thing to think about is that you are driving their cars:

- No track insurance needed
- You wreck, it's not on your insurance at all
- It's their tires and brakes and wear and tear
- You get A LOT of seat time. I did the 2 day school and besides about an hour each morning to go over the day, the rest was driving.
- All of the Instructors are EXCELLENT and VERY qualified. The ones I've had at track days have run the gamut from poor to excellent.

I loved it but it was expensive, even with the discount.
Oh - And it included great lodging, a custom painted Snell approved helmet, M school jacket, shirts, caps, all food including alcohol at dinner, and transportation to and from the school from the hotel.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
37
Rep
2,306
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
Oh - And it included great lodging, a custom painted Snell approved helmet, M school jacket, shirts, caps, all food including alcohol at dinner, and transportation to and from the school from the hotel.
These are for the two day school. The one day school does not include the helmet etc...
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
FLOSS M
///M3
FLOSS M's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
355
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

just booked the 2 day M-school in April - well worth it - simply - ITS NOT YOUR CAR!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
urnzvay
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boise

iTrader: (0)

Go for the two day, one day is just not enough time to drive these cars.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST