BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #45
klaudio
Enlisted Member
klaudio's Avatar
Italy
0
Rep
40
Posts

 
Drives: bmw e90 325i & range rover s/c
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: la toscana

iTrader: (0)

Do you have to code or reprogram yor vehicle?????
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #46
armyav8tor
n1smo
armyav8tor's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Any updates from the guys that swapped to the mini battery?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #47
thorny
Captain
thorny's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
947
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (9)

Does anyone still run these? I am considering this mod
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #48
lukester
Second Lieutenant
Germany
12
Rep
269
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Munich, Germany

iTrader: (0)

I'm running a 55Ah Battery in my e92 M3. That was the smallest capacity which could be programmed into the battery management system by BMW.

Works without any problems.

I just get the battery weak message from time to time.
But that's because I don't use the car as a daily driver - mostly just for tracking.
So the car sometimes sits 2-4 weeks around in the garage.

If you'll use it as a daily driver you will not get the message as the battery will be charged regularly.

But even in my case. Never had the situation where I couldn't start the car anymore.
The battery monitor which throws the message is very sensitive.
So even if you get the message you'll be able to start the car 5-6 times before it's really to weak.

In my opinion this is a nobrainer if you're looking to save some lbs.
But don't just change the battery. Get a cheap 55Ah from an Autoparts store and then let BMW code the new capacity into the energy management system.

55Ah fit's without any custom bracket directly into the existing holes.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #49
JetBlackE46
Private
JetBlackE46's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone tried the 48DL from Autozone?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #50
Groundpilot
Major
Groundpilot's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
I'm running a 55Ah Battery in my e92 M3. That was the smallest capacity which could be programmed into the battery management system by BMW.

Works without any problems.

I just get the battery weak message from time to time.
But that's because I don't use the car as a daily driver - mostly just for tracking.
So the car sometimes sits 2-4 weeks around in the garage.

If you'll use it as a daily driver you will not get the message as the battery will be charged regularly.

But even in my case. Never had the situation where I couldn't start the car anymore.
The battery monitor which throws the message is very sensitive.
So even if you get the message you'll be able to start the car 5-6 times before it's really to weak.

In my opinion this is a nobrainer if you're looking to save some lbs.
But don't just change the battery. Get a cheap 55Ah from an Autoparts store and then let BMW code the new capacity into the energy management system.

55Ah fit's without any custom bracket directly into the existing holes.
You are saying that we have to take the car to the bmw dealership to code the new battery into the management system?
__________________

David
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #51
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
You are saying that we have to take the car to the bmw dealership to code the new battery into the management system?
Coding the car to the new battery.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #52
MSteve5036
Lieutenant
5
Rep
486
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 / 96 328is
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: blue dot

iTrader: (1)

Sorry if it was posted I didnt exactly read through every post but did you have to get the battery "calibrated" after? Did they say anything about it
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #53
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036 View Post
Sorry if it was posted I didnt exactly read through every post but did you have to get the battery "calibrated" after? Did they say anything about it
Yes, registration is essential after battery replacement.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #54
Swiftym3
Private First Class
Swiftym3's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 E83 X3  [5.00]
2008 E90 M3  [5.00]
I know i'm late to the party here. Did anyone have results from using the Z4M battery?
__________________
[2008 E90 M3 6SPD Jerez Black]
[2005 E83 X3 6SPD Black Sapphire Metallic]
[2002 E46 M3 SMG Titanium Silver]
SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:59 AM   #55
JetBlackE46
Private
JetBlackE46's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

try the H6 battery from walmart. 730 CCA
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST