BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

MaxcySpeed & Company

11-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
m3an
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Boost pressure is not the key cause of higher cylinder pressure. Flow volume, ignition timing, and cam timing are the most important. The biggest killer of engines is heat. The newer kits run more efficiently than the previous generation and therefore can make more power and maintain the same level of reliability. We are going to continue testing the durability of level 3 before it is officially released. So far things have gone well with atleast 50 dyno pulls in the last couple weeks, along with a full day of drifting.

Using a thicker headgasket would drastically reduce the efficiency of these modern engine's combustion chambers. It worked, with moderate success, on the old inline 6 engines, but does not belong on something like the S65.

11-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #24
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict

Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

great #s!

"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States
      11-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
I get that temps are better, less chance of detonation, but cylinder pressures are still a concern no? Esp on a motor that was never designed to be boosted.. Don't get me wrong, kit looks sick and makes good power just wondering where it ends, and why hasn't someone tried dropping the comp w/ head gaskets just yet prior to going all out and building a motor

Boost pressure is not the key cause of higher cylinder pressure. Flow volume, ignition timing, and cam timing are the most important. The biggest killer of engines is heat. The newer kits run more efficiently than the previous generation and therefore can make more power and maintain the same level of reliability. We are going to continue testing the durability of level 3 before it is officially released. So far things have gone well with atleast 50 dyno pulls in the last couple weeks, along with a full day of drifting.

Using a thicker headgasket would drastically reduce the efficiency of these modern engine's combustion chambers. It worked, with moderate success, on the old inline 6 engines, but does not belong on something like the S65.
Torque at low rpms I like that. Power & torque is felt right away. I bet it feels great on the track exiting turns, to me that's where it really matters. Great product guys

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
      11-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Torque at low rpms I like that. Power & torque is felt right away. I bet it feels great on the track exiting turns, to me that's where it really matters. Great product guys
Thank you
      11-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #27
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

11-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #28
BadBoostedBMWM3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e36 TURBO M3

Nice power!
BadBoostedBMWM3 is offline   United_States
      11-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #29
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Is this kit approved for extended track use for more than 20 min at a time? Because my engine sees a lot more abuse than the 30 seconds of drifting in that video.

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
      11-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Is this kit approved for extended track use for more than 20 min at a time? Because my engine sees a lot more abuse than the 30 seconds of drifting in that video.
It might only look like 30 seconds in the video but we did it back to back for about 2 hours and went through two brand new sets of tires. Due to the low speeds of this drift track and the fact that the car is sideways the car suffered greatly from lack of air flow across the radiator. All and all the car got hot but never overheated.

As soon as it hits the track for an extended time I will have some more answers for you.

Last edited by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke; 11-30-2012 at 10:23 AM.
      12-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #31
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
It might only look like 30 seconds in the video but we did it back to back for about 2 hours and went through two brand new sets of tires. Due to the low speeds of this drift track and the fact that the car is sideways the car suffered greatly from lack of air flow across the radiator. All and all the car got hot but never overheated.

As soon as it hits the track for an extended time I will have some more answers for you.
Do you have any data logs for post compressor IATs, oil temps, and coolant temps? Drifitng is part throttle/full throttle/part throttle/full throttle/part throttle/full throttle..track work is a lot more full throttle.

Interested to see some data from extended track use. A graph with time on the x axis and IATs/coolant/oil temps on the y axis would be great.

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!