BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
GBMW6612
Private

Drives: 2012 BMW X3M

One day M driving school

Can anyone tell me about their experience on the one day class if it was worth doing. Just got a 2013 M3 and would love to take the class. Is it something that is worth while???
GBMW6612 is offline   United_States
      11-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
lcrain
Captain

Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I haven't done it, but I am willing to bet that most who have taken the class will say it is certainly worth your while. Whether it is worth your money is a completely different story. ~$1500 is a lot of coin to drop for a driving school. You can do 10 open track days for that much, with an instructor.

Granted the situations you are able to experience at the BMW M school will likely be a great experience, don't think I am discrediting the M school. As someone who considers track time as a hobby, I consider $1500 on one track day to be too much haha. But if you have no previous experience, want to see different scenarios, have some money burning a hole in your pocket and don't want to use your own car then go for it! Report back.
      11-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran

Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
MDyDinanM is offline   United_States
      11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
konaforever
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I haven't done it, but I am willing to bet that most who have taken the class will say it is certainly worth your while. Whether it is worth your money is a completely different story. ~$1500 is a lot of coin to drop for a driving school. You can do 10 open track days for that much, with an instructor.

Granted the situations you are able to experience at the BMW M school will likely be a great experience, don't think I am discrediting the M school. As someone who considers track time as a hobby, I consider $1500 on one track day to be too much haha. But if you have no previous experience, want to see different scenarios, have some money burning a hole in your pocket and don't want to use your own car then go for it! Report back.
Not quite apples to apples though. The M school provides a car, so you don't need to get track insurance for you car or worry about crashing it.
konaforever is offline   United_States
      11-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
lcrain
Captain

Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
Not quite apples to apples though. The M school provides a car, so you don't need to get track insurance for you car or worry about crashing it.
Which is why I mentioned "don't want to use your own car." Obviously it is tough to compare a good driving school to HPDE's. I am beginning to think I need to do a good driving course...they are all so expensive though.
      11-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
konaforever
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 Red GTR

Quote:
Which is why I mentioned "don't want to use your own car." Obviously it is tough to compare a good driving school to HPDE's. I am beginning to think I need to do a good driving course...they are all so expensive though.
Oops. Didn't see that.

I haven't done either yet, but might try an HPDE next year!
konaforever is offline   United_States
      11-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
FogCityM3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: M3 (E90)

Did the 2 day..totally worth it, and you get A LOT of wheel/track time with some really cool exercises (heel/toeing in the 1M). BMW CCA membership gets you 15% off (used to be 20% in past).

Admin Edit:
Here is a great 2 Day M School journal by another member: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654085
      11-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Grayblack
Lieutenant

Drives: M5 F10 Space Gray

I did the one day m school. It was totally worth it. You can drive the hell out of the m3, m5 and m6. The instructors actually encourage you to drive the cars hard. The best part about the whole thing is it's not your car!
      11-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
nmehta211
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 E90 M3

One day is great, but if you can do the 2 day, it's even better.
Hell, I even sold the helmet they give away for $300 bucks if you need to defray some of the cost differential (I already had a helmet), and they include hotel and all meals.

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
      11-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
ChiTownM
Private First Class

Drives: e92 M3 & X5M

Agree that the 2 day school is the way to go, and make sure to get your BMWCCA membership for the discount. Great suggestion on selling the helmet, I got one in my garage from my Labor Day MSchool.
ChiTownM is offline   United_States
      12-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #11
B757236

Drives: BMW

I know mike and some of the other guys at the PC. They are great and the run a top notch operation here. Greenville, especially downtown, is a neat place to visit as well. I think any of the M schools are worth it. But I am spoiled that our BMW cca chapter does 2 autox events a year at the PC for 50 bucks!
      12-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:

good perspective. You'll be driving a M3 either way. The school uses M5s and provide food and drink service. At the end of the day, is dropping that much coin for the same instructions worth driving an M5 ( but not your car) and getting some food?

Track days are a lot cheaper and will receive the same instructions. It's highly focused, but there are a lot of down time. Track days are like "camping out". There's no members lounge, or leather sofa, or drink service, or even AC buildings. You're basically hanging out with your car and other drivers for the whole day (literally like 12 hours), with lots of down time.

Personally, I would choose the track days, it's the ultimate hardcore experience for a car guy. I"m price conscience and can get a lot of other value out of $1200, like go on vacation for even do 5 track day events. With 5 events, you'll come out a better driver than 1 session at the M school.

Last edited by mdosu; 12-01-2012 at 09:51 AM.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      12-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
donovan
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package

Way to expensive

e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
      12-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post

Personally, I would choose the track days, it's the ultimate hardcore experience for a car guy. I"m price conscience and can get a lot of other value out of $1200, like go on vacation for even do 5 track day events. With 5 events, you'll come out a better driver than 1 session at the M school.
Agree 100%

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      12-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
james33
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 E93 M3

One thing to think about is that you are driving their cars:

- No track insurance needed
- You wreck, it's not on your insurance at all
- It's their tires and brakes and wear and tear
- You get A LOT of seat time. I did the 2 day school and besides about an hour each morning to go over the day, the rest was driving.
- All of the Instructors are EXCELLENT and VERY qualified. The ones I've had at track days have run the gamut from poor to excellent.

I loved it but it was expensive, even with the discount.
      12-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
bvanderbilt
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

It is expensive. However, for a first time track-er it is a great experience. The first time I went to the track I was nervous beyond belief. Everyone seemed to know where to go and what to do already -- the confidence you get after your first time. The M school allows you to learn the basics while not having to worry about some major items .. your car & insurance!

Make sure to sign up with BMW CCA and use the discount if applicable.
      12-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
james33
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
One thing to think about is that you are driving their cars:

- No track insurance needed
- You wreck, it's not on your insurance at all
- It's their tires and brakes and wear and tear
- You get A LOT of seat time. I did the 2 day school and besides about an hour each morning to go over the day, the rest was driving.
- All of the Instructors are EXCELLENT and VERY qualified. The ones I've had at track days have run the gamut from poor to excellent.

I loved it but it was expensive, even with the discount.
Oh - And it included great lodging, a custom painted Snell approved helmet, M school jacket, shirts, caps, all food including alcohol at dinner, and transportation to and from the school from the hotel.
      12-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
kscarrol
Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
Oh - And it included great lodging, a custom painted Snell approved helmet, M school jacket, shirts, caps, all food including alcohol at dinner, and transportation to and from the school from the hotel.
These are for the two day school. The one day school does not include the helmet etc...
kscarrol is offline   United_States
      12-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
FLOSS M
///M3

Drives: 2013 e92 M3

just booked the 2 day M-school in April - well worth it - simply - ITS NOT YOUR CAR!!!
FLOSS M is offline   United_States
      12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
urnzvay
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Go for the two day, one day is just not enough time to drive these cars.