BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Yugo
Private
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Decisions...

I have several questions and I apologize if they have been covered before, but have had this crazy idea lately. Here it goes:

Currently have an E46 M3 zcp w 33k miles (garage queen) and have a four banger as a daily driver. Thinking of selling my daily and buying an E90 M3 in the spring. At that point I would either split the weekly driving between the E46 and E90 or make the E90 be my primarily/daily car. Most of my driving is on the highway.

I would be looking for E90's with approx 30-50k miles...probably some of them will be out of warranty if I decide to go for an '08 or '09 car. I probably will be driving the car for a year and half (max) and moving onto something else. Plan on keeping the E46 for good.

My main concerns are how is the E90 as a daily? Any major maintenance that I need to worry about given the above mileages? I hear S65 loves the gas pump, but how bad is it really? Also DCT vs Manual...have never driven DCT, would this be a hard thing to adjust to coming from a 6spd?

Never really had much love for the E9x M3's, but lately have been toying with the idea of just wanting to experience that high revving V8 (which I love) and been also lurking a lot on here lately due to the fact that I relate better to most people on here than E46 sec of the m3forum.

Appreciate any valid input!
Yugo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Foodle
Captain
 
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 769
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
My main concerns are how is the E90 as a daily? Any major maintenance that I need to worry about given the above mileages?
The E9x M3 is generally pretty reliable. No major issues like HPFP with the regular E9x cars. It's a great daily driver, except for the issue you mention below (gas).

Quote:
I hear S65 loves the gas pump, but how bad is it really?
It's bad. Really bad. Like 10 MPG bad.

Of course this depends on your driving pattern and some people get around 20 MPG if they drive mostly highway.

Quote:
Also DCT vs Manual...have never driven DCT, would this be a hard thing to adjust to coming from a 6spd?
It wouldn't be hard to adjust to, but this mainly comes down to what you want. I'd suggest driving a DCT car before deciding.
Foodle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,827
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
I average around 15 mpg. I do a good mix of city/highway and the occasional wide open throttle getting onto the freeways. 10 mpg is if you are at WOT at every stop light (or maybe all you do is city driving in traffic).
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Bosna
Picking fights with sharks
 
Bosna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
I have several questions and I apologize if they have been covered before, but have had this crazy idea lately. Here it goes:

Currently have an E46 M3 zcp w 33k miles (garage queen) and have a four banger as a daily driver. Thinking of selling my daily and buying an E90 M3 in the spring. At that point I would either split the weekly driving between the E46 and E90 or make the E90 be my primarily/daily car. Most of my driving is on the highway.

I would be looking for E90's with approx 30-50k miles...probably some of them will be out of warranty if I decide to go for an '08 or '09 car. I probably will be driving the car for a year and half (max) and moving onto something else. Plan on keeping the E46 for good.

My main concerns are how is the E90 as a daily? Any major maintenance that I need to worry about given the above mileages? I hear S65 loves the gas pump, but how bad is it really? Also DCT vs Manual...have never driven DCT, would this be a hard thing to adjust to coming from a 6spd?

Never really had much love for the E9x M3's, but lately have been toying with the idea of just wanting to experience that high revving V8 (which I love) and been also lurking a lot on here lately due to the fact that I relate better to most people on here than E46 sec of the m3forum.

Appreciate any valid input!
My E92 has been fantastic as a DD. The other cars I've DD'd were an Exige, and a 545i. The M3 is a better DD than either; has actual ground clearance (as opposed to the lotus), and is smaller and easier to maneuver than the 5 series.

As for the gas question, it is really really bad. Over my ~22k miles, I've averaged 15mpg, with a 50/50 split of city/highway. On long trips (Portland -> Seattle, 200 miles,) I can pretty easily get ~22-24. In a strictly city setting, realistic is ~12-13.

As for the transmission, allow me to qualify. I've always been a manual snob. When I went to test drive an M3, all they had was a DCT; I figured, fine, it'll allow me to at least see what the engine is like, and then I'll find myself a 6 speed. Well, after actually driving it (for like ten minutes) I really really /really/ liked the DCT. I never use any of the auto modes; and if you select your gears full time, the only thing you're missing is the clutch control. It's not any more or less difficult in traffic than a 6speed (of course, I'm not a pussy; I never complained about 5/6MT in traffic.)

I drove an E46 M3 for about 3 months, as well, and I think the E92 is definitly more comfortable. With EDC set to comfort, it's not quite as comfortable as my 5, but it's like 80% of the way there. With EDC in sport, it's the same as the E46, maybe a little less soft.

TLDR; E9X m3 is a great DD, but definitely test drive first. And be prepared to spend a lot of time at the pump.
__________________
2011.5 M3 Coupe DCT
2007 Lotus Exige S 6MT
2005 545i 6MT

Fast is subjective.
Bosna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
gatorfast
Colonel
 
gatorfast's Avatar
 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

Posts: 2,592
iTrader: (3)

M3 is a great DD. I DD mine.

Gas is bad, I average around 15mpg mixed city and hywy.

As for 6mt or DCT that's really something only you can decide. Stick or auto? Depends what you prefer.
gatorfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Yugo
Private
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the great input and advice guys
Yugo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
av2
Private
 
av2's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.CAL

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Getting an E9X M3 to replace your daily beater and keeping the E46 as a garage queen? After you picked up the E9x M3 and realize how much better it is to the E46 in every way, you'll switch roles.

The M3 is thirsty but it's a high performance car so fuel economy is respectable. If you prefer rolling your own gears, the M3's manual is good. The DCT one of the best examples of these automated manuals on the market, so you might want to test drive it before making your purchase. The DCT is easy to operate so no need for any adjustments.
__________________

Current: E92 M3 DCT, Cayenne Turbo S, Ferrari F430 F1
Past:911 Turbo (996), C32 AMG, S2000, (E36) M3, Supra TT, MR2 Turbo
av2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,676
iTrader: (0)

E90 with EDC and DCT is the ultimate DD in my opinion. It's sooooo good. Gas sucks but it's worth it. I drive about 90% city with a short commute and I get 12-14mpg but you can get 20-23 highway with DCT. Unless you're a manual whore, don't even think twice about DCT because it's very very good. Of course drive one to confirm you can handle it but it's great. Having the E90 as a daily with an E46 garage queen/track toy sounds incredible.
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Yugo
Private
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by av2 View Post
Getting an E9X M3 to replace your daily beater and keeping the E46 as a garage queen? After you picked up the E9x M3 and realize how much better it is to the E46 in every way, you'll switch roles.
Trust me, I am afraid that this might eventually be the outcome.

As most have suggested I will have to go out and test drive a DCT car, if the BMW dealer near me ever gets one...
Yugo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST