BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GetBMWParts

11-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
wjesco
Engineer

Drives: 2011 IB M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
Just do a drop in filter and save a bunch of cash.
+1
Is there a specific drop in filter that anyone recommends?
2011 E90 M3 M-Individual Fox Red/Black Two Tone Interior/Steering wheel,3D Design front lip,Type II Diffuser,IND reflectors,Cyber Scoops,Performance front grills/side grilles w/LED light, Macht Schnell Spacers, ZCP,ZCV,ZP3,6MT,Split rear seat, BMW Apps, EPS
1995 325is, 1991 735iL
wjesco is offline   United_States
      11-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

It's been said over and over that the stock air box is more than enough and it's as good as it gets for performance. OP Dont waste your hard earned $ and just go with a filter.

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
      11-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjesco View Post
AA sells a good reusable filter that a lot of ppl seem to be happy with. It's their green filter. I have it and it's great

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
      11-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #26
Dave07997S
Colonel

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe

I have the AFE Stg2 intake...got it for a good price. I would try and find one used to save some bucks. There is a few hp more than a panel filter, but mainly there is an improvement of intake growl over just a panel filter.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
      11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
wjesco
Engineer

Drives: 2011 IB M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjesco View Post
AA sells a good reusable filter that a lot of ppl seem to be happy with. It's their green filter. I have it and it's great
Thanks for info.
2011 E90 M3 M-Individual Fox Red/Black Two Tone Interior/Steering wheel,3D Design front lip,Type II Diffuser,IND reflectors,Cyber Scoops,Performance front grills/side grilles w/LED light, Macht Schnell Spacers, ZCP,ZCV,ZP3,6MT,Split rear seat, BMW Apps, EPS
1995 325is, 1991 735iL
wjesco is offline   United_States
      11-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
p-streets
M3NTAL

Drives: 09 E92 M3

Thanks for info guys I'm just going to stick with the green drop in filter and stock intake thanks for all advice. Next investment will be a limited slip dif I hear that's best bang for ur buck o yea
p-streets is offline   United_States
      11-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #29
ortho281
Captain

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
I switched out the elbow to the stock OEM elbow as the MS variant kept popping off. Additionally the adapter which connects to the PCV hose literally fell off the MS elbow. Presently, I am using the stock elbow connector with the Macht Schnell filter.
I installed the MS stage II six months and no problems with it slipping off. The MS elbow is tricky to get installed properly, but once in place it is secure. The intake growl of the MS stage II is pretty sweet!
Attached Images

Akra Evo / MS stage 2 / MS UDP / VF Tune / KW S/O springs / Vorshlag plates / ST 380/355 BBK / ST SR34 pads / Apex Arc-8 / Nitto NT01 / Cantrell Motorsports roll cage / Recaro Profi / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Performance Alcantera wheel
ortho281 is offline   United_States
      11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #30
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 M3

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
That would be the Macht Schnell which is total crap.
we run it on our race car and its been great, we had the dinan unit and we think its very similar
      11-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #31
jjw2331
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets
Thanks for info guys I'm just going to stick with the green drop in filter and stock intake thanks for all advice. Next investment will be a limited slip dif I hear that's best bang for ur buck o yea
If u have an 09 m3, ur in for a treat. The car comes with a limited slip differential straight from the factory. No need to get one unless ur looking into a different type of LSD.
      11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #32
p-streets
M3NTAL

Drives: 09 E92 M3

@ jjw I am aware of that buy from what I read and heard is that dinan had one that I'd better then the stock and improves torque by alot and I'm looking to get the most power out of my beast without going to forced induction maybe in about 5 to 10 years I'll br able to get a stroker motor in it all I can do is what I can afford lol also getting a dinan pulley put in in the near future
p-streets is offline   United_States
      11-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #33
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets View Post
@ jjw I am aware of that buy from what I read and heard is that dinan had one that I'd better then the stock and improves torque by alot and I'm looking to get the most power out of my beast without going to forced induction maybe in about 5 to 10 years I'll br able to get a stroker motor in it all I can do is what I can afford lol also getting a dinan pulley put in in the near future
Listen to everyone's feedback, drop-in filter is the way to go. No need to speed $1k on an aftermarket intake system.
      11-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #34
joe@trinityautosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E92 M3

Send a message via AIM to joe@trinityautosport
I had the MS Intake before I supercharged the car. I had no issues with any "slippage". The growl is awesome
joe@trinityautosport is offline   United_States
      11-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #35
jjw2331
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets
Gotcha. Yeah I have read a lot of nice things about the Dinan diff. The 4.10 gear gives you more torque for squirting around in city driving. PM Team Plutonium if u are interested in it. He has one and says he loves it.