BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
UltimateDrive3487
Private
4
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco, Ca

iTrader: (0)

GT Haust Exhaust

Hello,

Any reason I shouldn't buy this exhaust over the BMW M Performance Exhaust? (besides price)

I was thinking of just getting the GT and NOT the GT2.

Also are the connecting pipes worth it?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
m3an
Banned
m3an's Avatar
19
Rep
1,611
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDrive3487 View Post
Hello,

Any reason I shouldn't buy this exhaust over the BMW M Performance Exhaust? (besides price)

I was thinking of just getting the GT and NOT the GT2.

Also are the connecting pipes worth it?

it's totally your perogative as each has its pros and cons, but def SEARCH as these threads are posted at least 2x a day/week etc.




Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

I had a GT and I loved it. It sounded fantastic. I have had a few exhausts since and none of them sound nearly as good. While they are built in Korea (IIRC), the build quality was very good.

The connecting pipes are worth it if you plan to go back to stock at some point (no need to cut your stock one). You could pick up a used one for $150 and hack that one up though.

The reason that I sold mine was that I wanted to run an x-pipe with HFC for the power gains. After trying a few different x-pipes, the GT was just too loud for me (and I don't mind some good volume). It sounded like a race car though!
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
UltimateDrive3487
Private
4
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I had a GT and I loved it. It sounded fantastic. I have had a few exhausts since and none of them sound nearly as good. While they are built in Korea (IIRC), the build quality was very good.

The connecting pipes are worth it if you plan to go back to stock at some point (no need to cut your stock one). You could pick up a used one for $150 and hack that one up though.

The reason that I sold mine was that I wanted to run an x-pipe with HFC for the power gains. After trying a few different x-pipes, the GT was just too loud for me (and I don't mind some good volume). It sounded like a race car though!
Did you have the GT or the GT2? I'm mainly trying to determine if just the GT will be too loud for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
gatorfast
Colonel
gatorfast's Avatar
33
Rep
2,675
Posts

 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

^ read the first sentence of the post you quoted
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
jra85
M3NTAL
jra85's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
451
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

I'm pretty confident that the GT is slightly louder than the Performance exhaust. It also drones around 2-3k RPMs, which I don't think is the case with the Performance exhaust.

That said, I have a GT on my car and love it!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
UltimateDrive3487
Private
4
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
^ read the first sentence of the post you quoted
yeah i know but i was just wanted to make sure
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
329
Rep
10,632
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
After hearing the M Performance Exhaust/Macht Schnell Track Pipe combo - this might have to be one of my new favorite setups.

__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
UltimateDrive3487
Private
4
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
I'm pretty confident that the GT is slightly louder than the Performance exhaust. It also drones around 2-3k RPMs, which I don't think is the case with the Performance exhaust.

That said, I have a GT on my car and love it!
Do you have a sound clip? I have been having a really hard time finding the GT on an m3 without anything else done too it on YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
jra85
M3NTAL
jra85's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
451
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

I don't have any of my own, but when I was shopping around I listened to the videos below over and over to get an idea of the sound. Based on the sound, I can tell the cars below just have the rear section + connecting pipes only and no aftermarket X-pipe/cats.

It's a bit difficult to gauge the volume of the exhaust from videos since some are taken in garages. But, it's not overbearingly loud and if you need to keep it "stock-like" quiet you can keep the revs low and go easy on the throttle.







Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
UltimateDrive3487
Private
4
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAdamz View Post
I don't have any of my own, but when I was shopping around I listened to the videos below over and over to get an idea of the sound. Based on the sound, I can tell the cars below just have the rear section + connecting pipes only and no aftermarket X-pipe/cats.

It's a bit difficult to gauge the volume of the exhaust from videos since some are taken in garages. But, it's not overbearingly loud and if you need to keep it "stock-like" quiet you can keep the revs low and go easy on the throttle.
The only thing i really worry about is when i cruise through a city at say 2-3k RPM if people are going to look at me and be like "that guy is a .... with that thing"
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
gatorfast
Colonel
gatorfast's Avatar
33
Rep
2,675
Posts

 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDrive3487 View Post
The only thing i really worry about is when i cruise through a city at say 2-3k RPM if people are going to look at me and be like "that guy is a .... with that thing"
If you are worried about that than I would look elsewhere from Meisterschaft. Their exhausts sound amazing but def not subtle. Or you could just get it anyway and learn to not care what people may think as long as you are enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

If you go with a GT and no x-pipe, it won't be subtle, but people won't be upset by it.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
jra85
M3NTAL
jra85's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
451
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

As I said earlier, the GT can be kept pretty quiet as long as you're light on the throttle and keep the revs low. It's when you start pushing the pedal down past quarter-throttle and 2-3k RPM that things get good
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
smithcarloso
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: audi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: look

iTrader: (0)

It also drones around 2-3k RPMs, which I don't think is the case with the Performance exhaust.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
PhillyNate's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
2,038
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
After hearing the M Performance Exhaust/Macht Schnell Track Pipe combo - this might have to be one of my new favorite setups.

I really need to hear this particular combo rolling. Standing still I'm not blown away. Hearing it in person would help as well.
__________________

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #17
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
557
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I really need to hear this particular combo rolling. Standing still I'm not blown away. Hearing it in person would help as well.
+1, there's some raspiness to it I don't really dig.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #18
crabman
Captain
7
Rep
669
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Make it +2, free revs just don't cut it for hearing what an exhaust sounds like. I've not heard many clips of the M-perf with various test pipes but this is commonly sited as a no-no due to rasp. Also would like to know how much drone the setup has, thanks.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #19
L4ces
Captain
L4ces's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
705
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nj

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
After hearing the M Performance Exhaust/Macht Schnell Track Pipe combo - this might have to be one of my new favorite setups.

Tom, is there a chance to get a recording of this setup rolling or is it not likely to happen for whatever the reason.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
kerkiraios00
Lieutenant
kerkiraios00's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
478
Posts

 
Drives: '11 Jerez E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Queens,NY

iTrader: (0)

I had the same problem months ago when I was looking for an exhaust. I was debating between either. Meisterschaft gt or gt2 is the best sounding IMO, the only difference is one is louder.. I went with the gt bc I figured if I wanna go louder I can just put an aftermarket x-pipe.. In actuality the gt is louder then your average after market exhaust but it sounds so sick it's worth it.. When people get in my car they complement it all the time!! I think the gt exhaust is loud between 3k-5k it quiets down after higher rpm which I thought is weird?! But anyway I say go with the gt you tube videos don't do it or any other exhaust justice.. I was looking for months.. Hope this helps! GL
__________________
11 E90 M3 Jerez BLK Metallic | EXT FOX RED NL | ZCP | MEISTERSCHAFT GT | LUX H8 V4 | HRE P43SC

07 JEEP PATRIOT LIMITED BLK- STU COILS 2.5' lift- 16' MOAB WHEELS
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #21
GTHAUS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
GTHAUS's Avatar
43
Rep
1,024
Posts


 
Drives: F10 M5, F30 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

^ Thank you for supporting our product! Glad you're happy with it.

OP, if we can help you with anything please feel free to contact us!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #22
dozaiya
Lieutenant
Taiwan
6
Rep
494
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shanghai

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Tom, is there a chance to get a recording of this setup rolling or is it not likely to happen for whatever the reason.

Cheers
+1 been waiting to hear this rolling forever, fell in love when i first heard it
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST