BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
3
Rep
298
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAND OF THE LOST TEXAS

iTrader: (1)

AFE Intake

Looking to get a afe stage 2 intake looking for some advice dose anyone have it installed all feed back welcome thanks in advance o yea and my ride is a e92 m3 09
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
C|3R1C's Avatar
5
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I have one and the install wasn't too bad. Just needed some force for the grooves to line up on the intake box. Additionally, you may want to put some silicon sealer (I used hightemp black from permatex because I had that lying around) to seal the silver knob where the plastic hose connects on the elbow. It was a little loose on mine and I didn't want a gap or leaks. Other than take study the video and you're good.

BTW should this be in the engine section?
__________________
2010 E93 M3 / AA Catless X-Pipe / AA Catback / AA Pulley / Vorsteiner Vented Hood and Bootlid E93 Trunk / ADV1 7.1 Wheels GB / LS3 LED Lights / AFE Stage 2 / Velos Designwerks Tune
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
328
Rep
10,632
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets View Post
Looking to get a afe stage 2 intake looking for some advice dose anyone have it installed all feed back welcome thanks in advance o yea and my ride is a e92 m3 09
Here's a couple of reviews of the Macht Schnell Stage 2 intake system:

New mod - Macht Schnell Stage 2 Intake
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571018

Reload this Page Macht Schnell Stage 2 Intake DYNO NUMBERS + VIDEO
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571018

Lots of people happy with the Macht Schnell systems.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Be careful there's an intake brand where the elbow keeps popping off...I've had zero issues with my Dinan intake.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
El_Duderino
Private First Class
2
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Be careful there's an intake brand where the elbow keeps popping off...I've had zero issues with my Dinan intake.
That would be the Macht Schnell which is total crap.
__________________
2009 E92 M3. Melbourne Red on Fox Red. ZPP ZTP. Remus Sport. CF splitters, diffuser, grille, side markers.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
That would be the Macht Schnell which is total crap.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
donovan
Brigadier General
donovan's Avatar
Germany
73
Rep
3,551
Posts

 
Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: le' Murica

iTrader: (12)

Oh... intakes.. lol
__________________


e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
3
Rep
298
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAND OF THE LOST TEXAS

iTrader: (1)

It's going to be the ms or afe and not looking good for ms because no good post about it but I'm dig a lil deeper to get some more info not finding anything good tho I hear are don't work well with the M and now all this bad stuff on ms dam not good fellas I thought you guys would make this easy lol
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
CardSurge
Private
CardSurge's Avatar
0
Rep
85
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 JZB/FR E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philly

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets
It's going to be the ms or afe and not looking good for ms because no good post about it but I'm dig a lil deeper to get some more info not finding anything good tho I hear are don't work well with the M and now all this bad stuff on ms dam not good fellas I thought you guys would make this easy lol
Huh? :
__________________
2012 JZB/FR E92 ///M3, Diamond Black TE37SL, iND cosmetic package, 35% tint, LUX H8, KW, Arkym lip, Remus Race ///GONE

2014 Super Silver GT-R Premium
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
rjd598
Brigadier General
rjd598's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
4,644
Posts

 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets View Post
It's going to be the ms or afe and not looking good for ms because no good post about it but I'm dig a lil deeper to get some more info not finding anything good tho I hear are don't work well with the M and now all this bad stuff on ms dam not good fellas I thought you guys would make this easy lol
The majority of owners on this forum have ms I would bet or the numbers would be close to the other brands
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
mkPOTO's Avatar
202
Rep
15,640
Posts

 
Drives: 1999 528I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (23)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
That would be the Macht Schnell which is total crap.
weird running one and VS Motorsports is running on on there race car and have had no issue with it popping off, could you show us what your talking about?
__________________

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
LarThaL
Colonel
LarThaL's Avatar
65
Rep
2,633
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets View Post
Looking to get a afe stage 2 intake looking for some advice dose anyone have it installed all feed back welcome thanks in advance o yea and my ride is a e92 m3 09
Just get a better filter. Don't waste your money on an "intake". They do nothing on this car. The stock air box is more than sufficient. Of course, if want a mod just for the sake of a mod, then by all means go ahead.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
3
Rep
298
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAND OF THE LOST TEXAS

iTrader: (1)

Thanks for all rplys I'm not doing it just to do a mid Im looking for more power and I work hard for all my money do I have to take my time and make the rite choice for anything I put in this beast so thinking I just might keep saving up and get a better mod to add like a LSD or something but thanks for all the input guys I will keep looking for new mods that give more power
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
LarThaL
Colonel
LarThaL's Avatar
65
Rep
2,633
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-streets View Post
Thanks for all rplys I'm not doing it just to do a mid Im looking for more power and I work hard for all my money do I have to take my time and make the rite choice for anything I put in this beast so thinking I just might keep saving up and get a better mod to add like a LSD or something but thanks for all the input guys I will keep looking for new mods that give more power
It is very difficult to get any meaningful power out of this car without adding a supercharger. The engine is in a state of maximal reliable tune already. If you get a full header-back exhaust that deletes the primary cats, then get an ECU tune to go with it, you can get about 30hp, but other than that there is really nothing to do unless you start really ripping apart the motor. Going to a less restrictive air filter will give you a nicer engine growl, a few hp, and can be had for less than $100.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6


Last edited by LarThaL; 11-25-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
Amri215
Banned
Amri215's Avatar
3
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Just do a drop in filter and save a bunch of cash.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #16
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
3
Rep
298
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAND OF THE LOST TEXAS

iTrader: (1)

I have the drop in filter and catless pipes and a Remus race and the dinan tune done to her already guess there ain't much more I can do
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
MysticBlue
Major
18
Rep
1,315
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Just get a better filter. Don't waste your money on an "intake". They do nothing on this car. The stock air box is more than sufficient. Of course, if want a mod just for the sake of a mod, then by all means go ahead.
+1
__________________
M3: Active Autowerke filter, Dinan underdrive pulley, Dinan full exhaust and software, 3.45 Differential, Springs, Brakes, Dinan/HRE wheels, 275/30-19 w/10mm spacer, 295/30-19 w/3mm spacer, painted front reflectors, 30% tint, Escort 8500i & Lidar Jammer, AngeliBright halos, Euro rear foglights, 3M ClearBra.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #18
MysticBlue
Major
18
Rep
1,315
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
It is very difficult to get any meaningful power out of this car without adding a supercharger. The engine is in a state of maximal reliable tune already. If you get a full header-back exhaust that deletes the primary cats, then get an ECU tune to go with it, you can get about 30hp, but other than that there is really nothing to do unless you start really ripping apart the motor. Going to a less restrictive air filter will give you a nicer engine growl, a few hp, and can be had for less than $100.
+1
__________________
M3: Active Autowerke filter, Dinan underdrive pulley, Dinan full exhaust and software, 3.45 Differential, Springs, Brakes, Dinan/HRE wheels, 275/30-19 w/10mm spacer, 295/30-19 w/3mm spacer, painted front reflectors, 30% tint, Escort 8500i & Lidar Jammer, AngeliBright halos, Euro rear foglights, 3M ClearBra.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #19
MysticBlue
Major
18
Rep
1,315
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
Just do a drop in filter and save a bunch of cash.
+1
__________________
M3: Active Autowerke filter, Dinan underdrive pulley, Dinan full exhaust and software, 3.45 Differential, Springs, Brakes, Dinan/HRE wheels, 275/30-19 w/10mm spacer, 295/30-19 w/3mm spacer, painted front reflectors, 30% tint, Escort 8500i & Lidar Jammer, AngeliBright halos, Euro rear foglights, 3M ClearBra.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
MKE_M3's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (0)

I think the Dinan intake is the best looking and is certainly the one I'd go with if I was modding.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
3
Rep
298
Posts

 
Drives: 09 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAND OF THE LOST TEXAS

iTrader: (1)

How about just the elbow is that possible just to change
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
El_Duderino
Private First Class
2
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
weird running one and VS Motorsports is running on on there race car and have had no issue with it popping off, could you show us what your talking about?
I switched out the elbow to the stock OEM elbow as the MS variant kept popping off. Additionally the adapter which connects to the PCV hose literally fell off the MS elbow. Presently, I am using the stock elbow connector with the Macht Schnell filter.
__________________
2009 E92 M3. Melbourne Red on Fox Red. ZPP ZTP. Remus Sport. CF splitters, diffuser, grille, side markers.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST