BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

winter tire size and brand questions

Hi guys, I'm looking for some winter tires for my m3. I'm planning to use my current 19' HREs but don't know what's the best sizes for 19s. I searched on tirerack it suggests 235/35 19 and 255/35/19 but I've seen people say that 255/35/19 and 275/35/19 work better? BTW my car's lowered.
I'm also looking for advise on which brand to choose. The Dunlop sport 3d or the bridgestone LM60?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
mightyaa
Private
2
Rep
70
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Well I was running the Blizzack LM60's on my 19" wheels. 255/35/19 front, 265/35/19 rear... Wasn't in love with them. Squirrely in corners (plow), and starting off on a incline wasn't a 'happy' experience sometimes requiring getting a run at it. Basically, confidence wasn't inspired.

Burned out the rears, and the 265's Blizzacks aren't available anymore. Rather than go wider, I'm getting:
Michelin's Artic Alpin PA4's 255/35/19's on the front and moving the front Blizzack's above to the rear. When those rear ones burn out again... Hopefully Michelin will have more sizes or I'll just go with a square setup.

I do run 275's on my summer setup. Not lowered or anything though.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyaa
Well I was running the Blizzack LM60's on my 19" wheels. 255/35/19 front, 265/35/19 rear... Wasn't in love with them. Squirrely in corners (plow), and starting off on a incline wasn't a 'happy' experience sometimes requiring getting a run at it. Basically, confidence wasn't inspired.

Burned out the rears, and the 265's Blizzacks aren't available anymore. Rather than go wider, I'm getting:
Michelin's Artic Alpin PA4's 255/35/19's on the front and moving the front Blizzack's above to the rear. When those rear ones burn out again... Hopefully Michelin will have more sizes or I'll just go with a square setup.

I do run 275's on my summer setup. Not lowered or anything though.
Thanks for the input. I've also seen a few people saying the Dunlop 3D is better than the blizzaks. There are few reviews about the Michelint hough. Is it a recently released one?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Alex07M3
Colonel
27
Rep
2,154
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyaa View Post
Well I was running the Blizzack LM60's on my 19" wheels. 255/35/19 front, 265/35/19 rear... Wasn't in love with them. Squirrely in corners (plow), and starting off on a incline wasn't a 'happy' experience sometimes requiring getting a run at it. Basically, confidence wasn't inspired.

Burned out the rears, and the 265's Blizzacks aren't available anymore. Rather than go wider, I'm getting:
Michelin's Artic Alpin PA4's 255/35/19's on the front and moving the front Blizzack's above to the rear. When those rear ones burn out again... Hopefully Michelin will have more sizes or I'll just go with a square setup.

I do run 275's on my summer setup. Not lowered or anything though.
The 265s LM-60 are still available, I bought a set yesterday from Tirerack!
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, KW V3s, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyaa View Post
Well I was running the Blizzack LM60's on my 19" wheels. 255/35/19 front, 265/35/19 rear... Wasn't in love with them. Squirrely in corners (plow), and starting off on a incline wasn't a 'happy' experience sometimes requiring getting a run at it. Basically, confidence wasn't inspired.

Burned out the rears, and the 265's Blizzacks aren't available anymore. Rather than go wider, I'm getting:
Michelin's Artic Alpin PA4's 255/35/19's on the front and moving the front Blizzack's above to the rear. When those rear ones burn out again... Hopefully Michelin will have more sizes or I'll just go with a square setup.

I do run 275's on my summer setup. Not lowered or anything though.
The 265s LM-60 are still available, I bought a set yesterday from Tirerack!
Are u running 19s? What sizes did you buy?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking for some winter tires for my m3. I'm planning to use my current 19' HREs but don't know what's the best sizes for 19s. I searched on tirerack it suggests 235/35 19 and 255/35/19 but I've seen people say that 255/35/19 and 275/35/19 work better? BTW my car's lowered.
I'm also looking for advise on which brand to choose. The Dunlop sport 3d or the bridgestone LM60?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Depends on your wheel widths and what your expectations are in a winter tire. You might want to include that.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking for some winter tires for my m3. I'm planning to use my current 19' HREs but don't know what's the best sizes for 19s. I searched on tirerack it suggests 235/35 19 and 255/35/19 but I've seen people say that 255/35/19 and 275/35/19 work better? BTW my car's lowered.
I'm also looking for advise on which brand to choose. The Dunlop sport 3d or the bridgestone LM60?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Depends on your wheel widths and what your expectations are in a winter tire. You might want to include that.
I think they are 19x9 and 19x10.5. I don't want to sacrifice too much wet and dry performance though.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

With those widths, you're SOL on PA4s. 10.5" is pretty wide for winter but if it's what you've got, then go with it. I would use Dunlop 3Ds but I don't see them in 275/35 on Tire Rack so that would put you in LM60s. I personally wouldn't try 255s on 10.5" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
With those widths, you're SOL on PA4s. 10.5" is pretty wide for winter but if it's what you've got, then go with it. I would use Dunlop 3Ds but I don't see them in 275/35 on Tire Rack so that would put you in LM60s. I personally wouldn't try 255s on 10.5" wheels.
I would probably go with Lm 60s with 255 and 275 then, since i don't want the tires to be too stretched and it seems like LM60 is the only one with these size options.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Chowster's Avatar
Canada
16
Rep
1,204
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
I would probably go with Lm 60s with 255 and 275 then, since i don't want the tires to be too stretched and it seems like LM60 is the only one with these size options.
Yep, you're right, 255 and 275 only comes in LM60s. The consensus around here is pretty much LM60s for snowy winters, or the new PA4s. I've been on a new set of 255/275 LM60s for a few weeks now, and they're decent (for a winter tire).

Oh yes, I must add... You're really going to run 9" and 10.5" HRE wheels for winter?!? Nice! No OEM 220s or 357s lying around? If not, what are your summer wheels, BBS FIs?

The 275 will still look quite stretched on the 10.5" rear. My summer setup is a 285 on a 10.5 wheel, and that's already a bit stretched. Safe travels this winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
tonymac1
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M4
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
Yep, you're right, 255 and 275 only comes in LM60s. The consensus around here is pretty much LM60s for snowy winters, or the new PA4s. I've been on a new set of 255/275 LM60s for a few weeks now, and they're decent (for a winter tire).

Oh yes, I must add... You're really going to run 9" and 10.5" HRE wheels for winter?!? Nice! No OEM 220s or 357s lying around? If not, what are your summer wheels, BBS FIs?

The 275 will still look quite stretched on the 10.5" rear. My summer setup is a 285 on a 10.5 wheel, and that's already a bit stretched. Safe travels this winter.
Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure getting the LM60s right now since they're the only ones with these large sizes. PA4s don't have too many size options. I'm running 265 and 295 for summer right now, they fit pretty well with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
GrussGott
Lieutenant Colonel
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
1,637
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
I think they are 19x9 and 19x10.5. I don't want to sacrifice too much wet and dry performance though.
Last winter in Minnesota (where I grew up - so lots of winter driving experience) I went with Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes.

This is after 8 winters of running Nokians which, IMO, are by FAR the best winter tires. Now, like I said, it's been 9 years since I've ran anything other than nokians but before that I tried them all and I can tell you if you want the best winter tire for a MN winter, it's Nokian.

But last winter I wanted more of a dry / warm bias since we don't get a "real winter" any more. After tons of research, including with local dealers and drivers, I went with the Vreds. In fact, I'm still running them since then! All through the summer and they're doing just fine which is a testament to their durability.

Here's the thing - they are not Nokians (which, btw, come with a tread warranty!). If you get a big snow you will not have the very best traction money can buy.

If there's 3 inches of snow on the roads Vreds will get you up a steep hill if you know how to drive, but don't expect it to be without wheel spin

The trade off is they give you good handling in the dry and great durability. They are also not a summer performance tire obviously.

As to Nokians I can tell you this: on my S4 there was no road vehicle that ever out drove me on a city street (no matter the snow emergency!) and many trucks that I out drove including ones with plow blades on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
OM3N
Private
0
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: AW '09 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Trondheim, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Last winter in Minnesota (where I grew up - so lots of winter driving experience) I went with Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes.

This is after 8 winters of running Nokians which, IMO, are by FAR the best winter tires. Now, like I said, it's been 9 years since I've ran anything other than nokians but before that I tried them all and I can tell you if you want the best winter tire for a MN winter, it's Nokian.

But last winter I wanted more of a dry / warm bias since we don't get a "real winter" any more. After tons of research, including with local dealers and drivers, I went with the Vreds. In fact, I'm still running them since then! All through the summer and they're doing just fine which is a testament to their durability.

Here's the thing - they are not Nokians (which, btw, come with a tread warranty!). If you get a big snow you will not have the very best traction money can buy.

If there's 3 inches of snow on the roads Vreds will get you up a steep hill if you know how to drive, but don't expect it to be without wheel spin

The trade off is they give you good handling in the dry and great durability. They are also not a summer performance tire obviously.

As to Nokians I can tell you this: on my S4 there was no road vehicle that ever out drove me on a city street (no matter the snow emergency!) and many trucks that I out drove including ones with plow blades on them.
Hey man I just replaced my rear Dunlop 3D's with Vredestein Wintracs - but only the rears and kept my 3D's up front.
The car is practically useless and almost dangerous in the dry now!! I was like WTF this can't be right, so I checked and tried changing the PSI, but it still drives shitty! it tram lines like no other, and handles almost like a bus now, with the rear end going everywhere, feeling super wobbly!

Im thinking since I read good reviews of the Vredes everywhere, it has to be something with them not matching with the front 3D's? Like somehow this upset the whole balance in the car?

very noticeable weird and scary behavior when accelerating, coming onto freeways, changing lanes or getting on on-ramps!

how do you feel your handles on asphalt / in the dry w Vredes on all 4?
__________________
*Sold* '08 Euro Spec fully loaded E92 6sp M3

'09 Euro Spec E92 DCT M3 Speed Cloth!
- GTS Wheels - OEM carbon lip spoiler - Challenge Diffuser - Bastuck SlipOn - Edition Grills n Gills
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Sorry, but anyone who runs their winter tires all year long loses all tire review credibility in my book.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,481
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Sorry, but anyone who runs their winter tires all year long loses all tire review credibility in my book.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
jpan08's Avatar
2
Rep
209
Posts

 
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Ninja 300
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Hartford, CT/ Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Last winter in Minnesota (where I grew up - so lots of winter driving experience) I went with Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes.

This is after 8 winters of running Nokians which, IMO, are by FAR the best winter tires. Now, like I said, it's been 9 years since I've ran anything other than nokians but before that I tried them all and I can tell you if you want the best winter tire for a MN winter, it's Nokian.

But last winter I wanted more of a dry / warm bias since we don't get a "real winter" any more. After tons of research, including with local dealers and drivers, I went with the Vreds. In fact, I'm still running them since then! All through the summer and they're doing just fine which is a testament to their durability.

Here's the thing - they are not Nokians (which, btw, come with a tread warranty!). If you get a big snow you will not have the very best traction money can buy.

If there's 3 inches of snow on the roads Vreds will get you up a steep hill if you know how to drive, but don't expect it to be without wheel spin

The trade off is they give you good handling in the dry and great durability. They are also not a summer performance tire obviously.

As to Nokians I can tell you this: on my S4 there was no road vehicle that ever out drove me on a city street (no matter the snow emergency!) and many trucks that I out drove including ones with plow blades on them.
What kind of Nokians did you run?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
paradocs98
Major
paradocs98's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,347
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
I would probably go with Lm 60s with 255 and 275 then, since i don't want the tires to be too stretched and it seems like LM60 is the only one with these size options.
Just put my Blizzak LM60s on for the start of their second winter season. Last winter they did fine in snow here in the Northeast, and were decent in the dry as well. They are a dry performance oriented winter tire, so they obviously won't have the ice and snow grip of a Nokian, but then the Nokians probably ride like knobby truck tires in the dry. It's always a tradeoff.

In any case, the LM60s do fine in conjunction with the M3's LSD, traction control (and ability to disable traction control when needed), and balanced chassis. They are 500% better in snow and ice than any all-season tire.

I run them in your proposed 255/35-19 front, 275/35-19 rear setup on my stock ZCP wheels. I have a set of black GTS wheels with Michelin PSS's for the summer.
__________________
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
GrussGott
Lieutenant Colonel
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
1,637
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpan08 View Post
What kind of Nokians did you run?
I've had the RSi and WRG2 - both ride fairly well and have great durability (the tread warranty is 50,000 miles I think??) Whatever it is I'll routinely get 3-4 seasons out of the Nokians and they have a treadwear marker baked right into the tire so it's easy to tell. Season 3 is as good as season 1.

I never went up to the Hakka R because the RSi/WRG2 were so good: I passed a stuck F350 plow truck snow blowing out at the top of an exit ramp in a drift - I just accelerated and my car blew right through the drift. I then pulled over to ask if he wanted help and he just stared at my S4 shaking his head.

Prior to convincing my wife to spend on the Nokians I looked at every brand including the crazy ones like Gislaved. I never had any luck with them - slightly better than all-seasons but not worth paying for. The key I found was that they need to keep their sipes during the dry warm days and they need to be good in the slush.

The Blizzaks in my experience were great for about a month, but then basically melted on dry warm days. They might be better now though - that was 9 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
GrussGott
Lieutenant Colonel
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
1,637
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Sorry, but anyone who runs their winter tires all year long loses all tire review credibility in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
+1
Ha, well I know how you feel. Here's the deal:

I've lived in MN for 40 years and in that time I've tried a LOT of winter tires on a LOT of different cars. For the last 10 years I've had awd Audis: A4s, S4, Allroad, A6. The S4 with nokians was an absolute snow machine (on the roads, never tried off) Anyway ...

15 months ago, because of this board, I decided feck-it: I'm going back to my RWD days AND I'm buying a 'vert. So sight unseen I ordered an e93 M3 for ED.

Given the car wasn't coming back from Europe until winter the first thing I did was put on the Vreds; I wanted them because I wanted rwd performance in the dry and was willing to wheel spin up roads. I grew up with no traction control rwd in the snow 5 months/year so I wasn't afraid of some work there as the trade-off.

Then, 2 months after the car got the Minnesota I moved to San Francisco.

I had no idea what to expect here so I left the winters on. Once here I thought, what the hell, I'll just burn these feckers down before I swap back to the stockers, and, believe me, there are plenty of twin rubber marks around town

Thing is, Vredestein had other plans. The frickin tires won't wear down enough for me to justify swapping them back - and I'm checking every week! I have a tread depth gauge, etc

Now, would I get much better performance from my stockers? Hell, yeah. But I don't have the heart to pull off the Vreds until they've done their duty.

If they're still running strong in Feb then I'll have no choice ... I'll just have to do everything I can to ensure they don't make it

Last edited by GrussGott; 11-18-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added Quotes
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
GrussGott
Lieutenant Colonel
GrussGott's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
1,637
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Sorry, but anyone who runs their winter tires all year long loses all tire review credibility in my book.
You don't have to feel sorry ... Seattle drivers have no winter driving credibility with me j/k
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #22
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
jpan08's Avatar
2
Rep
209
Posts

 
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Ninja 300
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Hartford, CT/ Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I've had the RSi and WRG2 - both ride fairly well and have great durability (the tread warranty is 50,000 miles I think??) Whatever it is I'll routinely get 3-4 seasons out of the Nokians and they have a treadwear marker baked right into the tire so it's easy to tell. Season 3 is as good as season 1.

I never went up to the Hakka R because the RSi/WRG2 were so good: I passed a stuck F350 plow truck snow blowing out at the top of an exit ramp in a drift - I just accelerated and my car blew right through the drift. I then pulled over to ask if he wanted help and he just stared at my S4 shaking his head.

Prior to convincing my wife to spend on the Nokians I looked at every brand including the crazy ones like Gislaved. I never had any luck with them - slightly better than all-seasons but not worth paying for. The key I found was that they need to keep their sipes during the dry warm days and they need to be good in the slush.

The Blizzaks in my experience were great for about a month, but then basically melted on dry warm days. They might be better now though - that was 9 years ago.
Thanks. I'm going to be swapping out my tires next weekend for the winter. Got the WRG2s and I'm afraid because it's an all season that it wont run as well in the snow as the blizzaks I have on my e36.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST