BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
 
s4play's Avatar
 
Drives: too many rides....
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norcal

Posts: 974
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Question Why would 2 same year E90 M3's have different "base" MSRP?

Could this happen and why?

I was looking at two E90 M3's (both 2011) and I know options would make them price out differently but shouldn't the BASE MSRP remain the same?

1) Base was $55,900

E90 with DCT tranny and other options totaled $73,425 including the gas guzzler tax of $1300


2) Base was $52,035

E90 with 6-speed manual tranny and other options totaled $62,135 including the gas guzzler tax of $1300


help a brother out!
__________________
04 GPW/Onyx NSX
05 AW B5 s4
09 GPW s2000
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
s4play is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
 
s4play's Avatar
 
Drives: too many rides....
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norcal

Posts: 974
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
here's the two stickers FYI:



__________________
04 GPW/Onyx NSX
05 AW B5 s4
09 GPW s2000
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
s4play is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baton Rouge

Posts: 488
iTrader: (0)

Only thing I can think of is a currency exchange rate change. It would depend on what part of the year each car was built and if the currency exchange rate changed between that time.
shaq diesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
IMARECK
RECKLSS
 
Drives: 2013 M3 Lime Rock
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: KANSAS CITY

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Different build dates.
__________________
2013 Lime Rock DCT Dinan Chip Black Kidney
IMARECK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 Felt IA2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,638
iTrader: (1)

BMW issues mid-model-year price hikes fairly regularly. Additionally, they change starndard equipment mid-model-year as well.

MY 2011 was a particularly long model year for the M3 and 3 series, and some other BMW models as well. There were actually three distinct model updates for the coupe in that time, and four for the sedan. These are often referred to unofficially as 2011, 2011.5, and 2011.75 here on the forum. I don't think the final (really just October) 2011 sedans got a distinct name due to extremely minor changes from 2011.75 (I think it was just a minor change in standard equipment). In retrospect, perhaps these would have been better named 2011.00, 2011.33, 2011.66, and 2011.99 but I digress.

Anyway, what you are looking at above is probably a 2011 vs. 2011.75 (or even October 2011 "2011.99") sedan.

I don't recall all the equipment changes over that long model year but there are threads about it on the forum.
__________________
-
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
e1000
that's what SHE said!
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 1,076
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
BMW issues mid-model-year price hikes fairly regularly. Additionally, they change starndard equipment mid-model-year as well.

MY 2011 was a particularly long model year for the M3 and 3 series, and some other BMW models as well. There were actually three distinct model updates for the coupe in that time, and four for the sedan. These are often referred to unofficially as 2011, 2011.5, and 2011.75 here on the forum. I don't think the final (really just October) 2011 sedans got a distinct name due to extremely minor changes from 2011.75 (I think it was just a minor change in standard equipment). In retrospect, perhaps these would have been better named 2011.00, 2011.33, 2011.66, and 2011.99 but I digress.

Anyway, what you are looking at above is probably a 2011 vs. 2011.75 (or even October 2011 "2011.99") sedan.

I don't recall all the equipment changes over that long model year but there are threads about it on the forum.
Well said.
__________________
e1000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
 
s4play's Avatar
 
Drives: too many rides....
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norcal

Posts: 974
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Hmmm that makes sense!

So the high cost one would be a 2011.75 based on your reasoning.

Kind of confusing by BMW, I was thinking it might be the euro delivery at first.


Thanks!
__________________
04 GPW/Onyx NSX
05 AW B5 s4
09 GPW s2000
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
s4play is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
gatorfast
Colonel
 
gatorfast's Avatar
 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

Posts: 2,540
iTrader: (3)

What changes were made throughout the 2011 MY?
gatorfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
m3h
Dis Member
 
Drives: in the right lane
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: vancity

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
What changes were made throughout the 2011 MY?
2011 (March 2010) - E92 LCI (LED tail lights), competition (ZCP) package
2011.5 (Sept 2010) - combox for CIC iDrive with standard bluetooth (6FL), mineral white, manuals seat option, two tone seats, standard mdrive (incl. MDM)
2011.75 (March 2011) - BMW apps (6NR), auto start/stop

Build date for the more expensive base priced E90 above is May 2011 so it's a 2011.75.
m3h is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,599
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Here's the one from my 2008 M3 from when I bought it in 2008...

With all of the warranties and taxes I paid almost 85K
Attached Images
 
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,292
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3h View Post
2011 (March 2010) - E92 LCI (LED tail lights), competition (ZCP) package
2011.5 (Sept 2010) - combox for CIC iDrive with standard bluetooth (6FL), mineral white, manuals seat option, two tone seats, standard mdrive (incl. MDM)
2011.75 (March 2011) - BMW apps (6NR), auto start/stop

Build date for the more expensive base priced E90 above is May 2011 so it's a 2011.75.
This is a pretty good reference. Combox on 2011.5 fyi added Bluetooth audio streaming and Office (texts and emails displayed on iDrive if you have a BlackBerry or iPhone). However, Bluetooth did NOT become standard for 2011.5; COMBOX became standard IF you got Bluetooth.

Also worth noting is that for 2011.5, the Technology Package was replaced with the Convenience Package, which had slightly different contents because the Tech Package was split off between standard features and the Comp Pkg. The Convenience Package was then deprecated for 2012 since its features either became standard or integrated into the new Premium Package, which also got additional contents not part of either the earlier Premium Package or the Convenience Package (e.g. rear sunshade).
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 11-16-2012 at 01:22 PM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Z4 35is
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Westchester, NY

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Maybe the top one is a Euro Delivery car ...
__________________
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is - Sold on 10/09/13 - Atacama Yellow over Black Alcantara/Leather - Euro Delivery on 7/19/2011! - Write-Up/Pictures!
2011 BMW X6 xDrive35i - Sold on 4/19/12 - Alpine White over Saddle Brown Nevada Leather -PCD on 8/5/2010! -
2005 BMW Competition M3 - Sold on 12/11/10 - Silver Gray Metallic over Black Nappa Leather
Rac10000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

mispriced in the marketplace short one long the other
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MKE_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 1,672
iTrader: (0)

Base on my 2011.75 (manual seats and auto start/stop here ) was $55,900. I dig my manual seats, but the auto start stop is really stupid. Thankfully it defaults to "off" in the M3, so it isn't a big issue. Kind of a cool feature but I have yet to find a type of traffic that it's been a benefit. Maybe somewhere with rrreeeeaaaaallllyyy long lights or extended dead stops on the freeway.
__________________
MKE_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #15
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,599
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
Base on my 2011.75 (manual seats and auto start/stop here ) was $55,900. I dig my manual seats, but the auto start stop is really stupid. Thankfully it defaults to "off" in the M3, so it isn't a big issue. Kind of a cool feature but I have yet to find a type of traffic that it's been a benefit. Maybe somewhere with rrreeeeaaaaallllyyy long lights or extended dead stops on the freeway.
Yup - I retrofitted that to my 2008 M3 just for fun and agree that it's an awful feature. We're lucky here in the US as it defaults to off, in many other countries it defaults to on. That would drive me bonkers!
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
 
s4play's Avatar
 
Drives: too many rides....
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norcal

Posts: 974
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
This is a pretty good reference. Combox on 2011.5 fyi added Bluetooth audio streaming and Office (texts and emails displayed on iDrive if you have a BlackBerry or iPhone). However, Bluetooth did NOT become standard for 2011.5; COMBOX became standard IF you got Bluetooth.

Also worth noting is that for 2011.5, the Technology Package was replaced with the Convenience Package, which had slightly different contents because the Tech Package was split off between standard features and the Comp Pkg. The Convenience Package was then deprecated for 2012 since its features either became standard or integrated into the new Premium Package, which also got additional contents not part of either the earlier Premium Package or the Convenience Package (e.g. rear sunshade).
Wow did you type all of that from memory? Thanks for the awesome info, so looks like ideally a 2011.5 is all I need.

You guys are awesome, this will help me with my choices
__________________
04 GPW/Onyx NSX
05 AW B5 s4
09 GPW s2000
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
s4play is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,920
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Here's the one from my 2008 M3 from when I bought it in 2008...

With all of the warranties and taxes I paid almost 85K
Screw that tax bullshit. I would never pay that and never will for a car again. $45 for registration and tags for 3 years.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
TVMA Doc
Captain
 
TVMA Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay

Posts: 673
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3h View Post
2011 (March 2010) - E92 LCI (LED tail lights), competition (ZCP) package
2011.5 (Sept 2010) - combox for CIC iDrive with standard bluetooth (6FL), mineral white, manuals seat option, two tone seats, standard mdrive (incl. MDM)
2011.75 (March 2011) - BMW apps (6NR), auto start/stop

Build date for the more expensive base priced E90 above is May 2011 so it's a 2011.75.
I'll have to dig out my July 2011 sticker and see what the base price was. I never pay attention to anything except invoice when I'm haggling.
TVMA Doc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
Khrishna
Banned
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UT

Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)

Who knows how those wacky Germans price their cars..>>

I just pay and say thank you.
Khrishna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
Base on my 2011.75 (manual seats and auto start/stop here ) was $55,900. I dig my manual seats, but the auto start stop is really stupid. Thankfully it defaults to "off" in the M3, so it isn't a big issue. Kind of a cool feature but I have yet to find a type of traffic that it's been a benefit. Maybe somewhere with rrreeeeaaaaallllyyy long lights or extended dead stops on the freeway.
that's because you live in Milwaukee , It's useful in lots of other major metropolitan areas
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
 
s4play's Avatar
 
Drives: too many rides....
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Norcal

Posts: 974
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Here's the one from my 2008 M3 from when I bought it in 2008...

With all of the warranties and taxes I paid almost 85K

WOW that's a lot of taxes and extras!
__________________
04 GPW/Onyx NSX
05 AW B5 s4
09 GPW s2000
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
s4play is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,292
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play
Wow did you type all of that from memory? Thanks for the awesome info, so looks like ideally a 2011.5 is all I need.

You guys are awesome, this will help me with my choices
Yep, all from memory (I even remember what's in all those packages but figured that'd be unnecessarily long. I was doing my M3 buying research in the September 2010 to March 2011 timeframe, so I became very acquainted with all these distinctions.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST