BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
146

 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada


Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
What do you Fellows think about ... when ...

you hand wash your beloved M3?

We had a great day today here in Southwestern Ontario Canada ... not bad at all for a Mid November Day

So I decided to wash our cars.

Made me think of the ///M3 folks the love and devotion they put into there work to create a fine automobile ... hand washing my ///M3 made me think of the

Designers, Engineers and naturally the Ladies and Gent's on the Assembly line that with so much care put our cars together until at the end the START button is pushed and the engine makes her first sounds.

Made me think how lucky I am to drive such a fine automobile.

All sorts of images went thru my mind as I washed every curve and surface of her ... so I am wondering what is it you think about when you hand wash your toy/baby or automobile?

Or do you just go thru a car wash? Share your thoughts or just go wash her then tell us what went thru your mind
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-16-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: corrected a minor typo
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
11

 
HeartMD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT


Posts: 653
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
you hand wash your beloved M3?

We had a great day today here in Southwestern Ontario Canada ... not bad at all for a Mid November Day

So I decided to wash our cars.

Made me think of the ///M3 folks the love and devotion they put into there work to create a fine automobile ... hand washing my ///M3 made me think of the

Designers, Engineers and naturally the Ladies and Gent's on the Assembly line that with so much care put our cars together until at the end the START button is pushed and the engine makes her first sounds.

Made me think how lucky I am to drive such a fine automobile.

All sorts of images went thru my mind as I washed every curve and surface of her ... so I am wondering what is it you think about when you hand wash your toy/baby or automobile?

Or do you just go thru a car wash? Share your thoughts or just go wash her then tell us what went thru your mind
Very poetic
I love washing my car. It is extremely therapeutic. Really makes me love my car everytime.
__________________
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
Michaeljh2000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3, 69 Vette, GSXR 1000
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NoVA


Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

M3 owners are lucky indeed. I usually am just listening to music on my iPod and trying to get everything just right.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
26

 
armyav8tor's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North Carolina


Posts: 1,447
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I hate washing my car and usually do a half ass job. :P
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
808@702
7th BMW, 500th Surfboard
64

 
808@702's Avatar
 
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Las Vegas, Nv. and Honolulu, Hi.


Posts: 1,073
iTrader: (0)

I always start out all motivated but by the end, usually the rims I just want to get it over with and drive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
24

 
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DC/VA/MD/PA


Posts: 1,241
iTrader: (1)

I end up with swirls. Swirls....swirls all over.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
bulldog x6
Major General
65

 
Drives: x6 panzer
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: probably work


Posts: 5,022
iTrader: (28)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
Very poetic
I love washing my car. It is extremely therapeutic. Really makes me love my car everytime.
x2 - good time with a couple of brews in hand
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
av2
Private
0

 
av2's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.CAL


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

If I don't have any plans for the day, I don't mind spending a few hours washing and waxing my cars. Not that I can't afford a good car wash but I enjoy it.
__________________

Current: E92 M3 DCT, Cayenne Turbo S, Ferrari F430 F1
Past:911 Turbo (996), C32 AMG, S2000, (E36) M3, Supra TT, MR2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
24

 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA


Posts: 1,688
iTrader: (0)

Brews are essential. My car needs washing so badly right now but whattaya know, it's raining again.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
9

 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 722
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartMD View Post
Very poetic
I love washing my car. It is extremely therapeutic. Really makes me love my car everytime.


Me too.
__________________
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan free flow exhaust | Dinan performance engine software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio upgrade | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10 et 20 | Michelin PSS 245/30/20 and 275/30/20 | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
114

 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA


Posts: 10,522
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
When I first got my car, it was in "not to my liking" standard. I spent about 2 hours cleaning the interior, including removing the rear seat, and vacuuming underneath. While the leather was cleaned thoroughly, and conditioned. Vacuum, Vacuum, vacuum, that was my first focus. Second priority was to clean and condition the leather.
Prior to washing the car, I must've spent about 1 hour trying to clean the wheels. Those 220s are pain in the neck. Now, it's a breeze to wash those wheels; thank God for Sonax, and Wheel Woolies brushes.
It's all love, and pain, but it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
rjd598
Brigadier General
United_States
54

 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA


Posts: 4,620
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702 View Post
I always start out all motivated but by the end, usually the rims I just want to get it over with and drive it.
this happens to me all the time. i love detailing but die out when it comes to interior work
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Khrishna
Banned
0

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UT


Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)

I am thinking about being very careful (two bucket method always), not to scratch or swirl the paint.. leaf blower to dry..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
Coltgus
Chairman of the Bored
United_States
1

 
Coltgus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Central Florida


Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

I've never washed a car.
__________________
I'm on my 9th and 10th BMWs.
2012 328i Coupe
2013 M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
18

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal


Posts: 1,766
iTrader: (1)

I sometimes get motivated to start, but then can't wait to finish
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
LarThaL
Colonel
63

 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA


Posts: 2,616
iTrader: (0)

Love "washing" my cars. In 17 months of ownership, I have never washed my M3 with the traditional soap and water method. Have only used Griots Spray-On Car Wash along with their deep pile microfiber cloths. The finish on my car is flawless. Nice thing about the spray on, is that once you wipe it off, then give a good buff with a second dry microfiber towel, the car is cleaned, dried, and has a brilliant shine. I swear by the stuff. I even use it on my black Cayenne which is a my daily driver, and the finish is brilliant even on that vehicle. I take the Cayenne to a touchless car wash in winter when the grime gets on really thick, but then I still use the Griots to finish up.

I never imagined I would give up the traditional wash method, but I have, and I don't think I will ever go back.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
18

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal


Posts: 1,766
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Love "washing" my cars. In 17 months of ownership, I have never washed my M3 with the traditional soap and water method. Have only used Griots Spray-On Car Wash along with their deep pile microfiber cloths. The finish on my car is flawless. Nice thing about the spray on, is that once you wipe it off, then give a good buff with a second dry microfiber towel, the car is cleaned, dried, and has a brilliant shine. I swear by the stuff. I even use it on my black Cayenne which is a my daily driver, and the finish is brilliant even on that vehicle. I take the Cayenne to a touchless car wash in winter when the grime gets on really thick, but then I still use the Griots to finish up.

I never imagined I would give up the traditional wash method, but I have, and I don't think I will ever go back.
Do you daily the M3?

I like the waterless washes for light dirt, but when the car is really dirty, I'd rather spray it down with a hose.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
X2Board
Captain
United_States
12

 
X2Board's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X5 M
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wake County, NC


Posts: 890
iTrader: (1)

I'm usually thinking what a lucky bastard I am, and how sexy a JB M3 looks when it's clean.

I'm sure my neighbors talk about my weekly 2-3 hour car cleaning session.
__________________
2015 YMB/Silverstone F80 M3 6sp -In the oven- ED on 12/5 followed by PCD on 1/??/2015
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - For Sale! Send me a PM for details.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
2009 Montego Blue/Grey E90 335i -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
146

 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada


Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
So nearly 280 of you peeked into this thread only 17 of you left some sort of post behind .... Seams to me not many of you out there wash your own car ....

How did Gomer in the Andy Grifith show used to say .....

Shame ... Shame ... Shame
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
hpc3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
2

 
hpc3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M3 ZCP 6sp
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Carolinas


Posts: 253
iTrader: (0)

I've gone back to air-drying with this one...

used to towel and polish the Audis each time. Using a warm air drier so far and man it cleans up well, especially the wheels which are a PITA frankly.



__________________
'13 E92 M3 - SG/FR ZCP 6sp with sunroof *and* wood (old fart edition). MPE. Turner 10mm spacers x4.

Born on 07/04/12, PCD September 5th, 2012.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
jqsmooth
Captain
United_States
6

 
jqsmooth's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 639
iTrader: (1)

You sir are a true enthusiast!
__________________
2011 E92 l SSII l Fox Red l ZP2 l ZCW l ZCV l 19" l 6MT l DDC l EPS
2012 Toyota Prius C(my new daily).
2002 Nissan Pathfinder - 301.6K and Junked.
2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport - Rolled & Totalled.
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood - RIP.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #22
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tri-State


Posts: 557
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpc3 View Post
used to towel and polish the Audis each time. Using a warm air drier so far and man it cleans up well, especially the wheels which are a PITA frankly.



You've got spacers on this one, right? Seems pretty evident, especially on the rear wheels.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST