BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

11-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks, No Edc,anyone Tried Them?

i searched,didn't see anything.here is a link to what i'm talking about-
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...08-wo-edc.aspx

the hd's are the shocks that work with stock springs,which i want to keep.the sport shocks work with lowering springs.

my car is street-driven,sometimes aggressively,37k miles,stock suspension with oem 19's and michelin pss.i'm looking for a bit better handling and control,close to oem ride quality.usually at 50k or so,stock shocks start to show signs of wear.i'm thinking of upgrading before too long to get the benefit.

the bmw tech who works on my car said the oem shocks are pretty close to these.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I know you're looking for feedback/info on the Bilstein HD dampers but I have no experience with them on the e9x M3 (did have a set on an e30 a long time ago)...however, have you considered the TCK/Koni SA dampers? There are a few advantages of the TCK SA damper over the Bilstein HD: (1) rebound adjustable from the top so you can control ride quality with a quick turn of the knob (increase damping for "aggressive" driving; decrease damping for a great DD street ride), (2) custom TCK damping and bumpstops on the Koni "yellows", (3) able to run at stock ride height or even a mild/large drop, depending on what you want, and finally (4) these dampers have been around for quite awhile so they are pretty much "bulletproof" - install and forget about them!

Sorry for no input on, or help with, the Bistein HDs...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I know you're looking for feedback/info on the Bilstein HD dampers but I have no experience with them on the e9x M3 (did have a set on an e30 a long time ago)...however, have you considered the TCK/Koni SA dampers? There are a few advantages of the TCK SA damper over the Bilstein HD: (1) rebound adjustable from the top so you can control ride quality with a quick turn of the knob (increase damping for "aggressive" driving; decrease damping for a great DD street ride), (2) custom TCK damping and bumpstops on the Koni "yellows", (3) able to run at stock ride height or even a mild/large drop, depending on what you want, and finally (4) these dampers have been around for quite awhile so they are pretty much "bulletproof" - install and forget about them!

Sorry for no input on, or help with, the Bistein HDs...
Which TCK SA damper works on the E92 M3s? I looked at there website and the TCK SA yellow koni dampers are for all 1 and 3 series, they dont state that they are for M3's.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Which TCK SA damper works on the E92 M3s? I looked at there website and the TCK SA yellow koni dampers are for all 1 and 3 series, they dont state that they are for M3's.
Here you go...
http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs.../Details15.cfm

BTW, the F dampers are painted white; the R dampers yellow.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Here you go...
http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs.../Details15.cfm

BTW, the F dampers are painted white; the R dampers yellow.
Great thanks! Has anyone tried this kit? I wonder how the performance is vs. KW V3s.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Great thanks! Has anyone tried this kit? I wonder how the performance is vs. KW V3s.
I've used this kit with 400/600 and 400/672 lbf/in spring rates. PM me if you want a review - don't want to upset KW owners
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks for mentioning an alternative.i'm looking to just replace shocks,no new springs which the setup you mentioned appears to have.

anyone just replace the shocks?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bumping my old thread to see if anyone has used these to replace oem shocks on stock suspension,wondering how they handle and if the ride is harsher.
Appreciate 0