BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
rolloface
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Invadermoose
Private First Class
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: florida

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Who has cutouts?

Might buy myself a Christmas present this year

I dont want exhaust on my car unless its valvetronic, because sometimes I want it to be silent, but I also dont want to spend 6,000 on pipes. Cutouts seem great for me. Loud when you want, quiet when you want, what's not to love?

I'm wondering if any of you guys have electronic cutouts and how you like them? Do they actually make the car sound nicer, or do they just make it more obnoxious? I dont want to be loud for the sake of being loud, I want my car to actually sound good too. I have an E93 so I'm pretty excited to put exhaust on the car. What do you guys think of these for an M3?
Invadermoose is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
e92involved
Captain
 
e92involved's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 646
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invadermoose View Post
Might buy myself a Christmas present this year

I dont want exhaust on my car unless its valvetronic, because sometimes I want it to be silent, but I also dont want to spend 6,000 on pipes. Cutouts seem great for me. Loud when you want, quiet when you want, what's not to love?

I'm wondering if any of you guys have electronic cutouts and how you like them? Do they actually make the car sound nicer, or do they just make it more obnoxious? I dont want to be loud for the sake of being loud, I want my car to actually sound good too. I have an E93 so I'm pretty excited to put exhaust on the car. What do you guys think of these for an M3?
Just buy an Akra slip-on when you are ready. More power, not too loud and very nice sound with the top down. I have had this system and it is wonderful. I have now switched to a valuetronic step up and yes it is expensive. Not sure about cut-outs on this car, but it sounded good on my Camero when I was 16!
__________________
e92involved is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
ec_E92
Enginerd
 
Drives: another AW
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: cbus, oh

Posts: 290
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92involved View Post
Just buy an Akra slip-on when you are ready. More power, not too loud and very nice sound with the top down. I have had this system and it is wonderful. I have now switched to a valuetronic step up and yes it is expensive. Not sure about cut-outs on this car, but it sounded good on my Camero when I was 16!
News flash, valvetronic has cutouts that open/close. So how do you like your valvetronic? What brand do you have or did you have a custom setup made?

OP, I have briefly ran with no catback and the S65 sounds exotically amazing above 4k, however, there is drone below that. And you're letting the exhaust gas heat build up in a pocket right below the center of the car - which is why it was a brief "experiment". The sound was addictive though, I'm contemplating the same thing.
__________________
2008 E92 AW 6MT ///eibach's///ARC-8///Muffler Delete
ec_E92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Beemw335
Colonel
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

Posts: 2,016
iTrader: (2)

Theres a few videos of M3's on youtube with cutouts.
From the videos they seem to sound great.
Beemw335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Invadermoose
Private First Class
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: florida

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

I just dont care much for exhaust videos. All my cars sound VASTLY different in person than they do on youtube. It depends a lot on what they record it with, what quality they save the file as, what quality youtube displays it as, and your own speakers. It can really distort the actual exhaust sound.
Invadermoose is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,105
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Cutouts will just be super loud. So if that's what you're looking for, then go for it.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Invadermoose
Private First Class
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: florida

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Cutouts will just be super loud. So if that's what you're looking for, then go for it.
Well you can also open them 1/2 or 1/3 of the way so it's quieter but still sounds different. I dont want my car to be loud for the sake of being loud, I also want it to sound good. Semi trucks are loud, but they sure dont sound good.
Invadermoose is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,105
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invadermoose View Post
Well you can also open them 1/2 or 1/3 of the way so it's quieter but still sounds different. I dont want my car to be loud for the sake of being loud, I also want it to sound good. Semi trucks are loud, but they sure dont sound good.
The sound is the same though. The tones don't change, just the volume.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
m3an
Banned
 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

LOL at the guys sating buy an Akra.. Guy comes here asking about cutouts and the sheep say buy an uber expensive exhaust that doesn't even sound great.

Anyways, OP the cutouts will essentially sound like the ACM exhaust mod (for reference so you can get an idea on the sound). that being said, you'll need the 2 electric cutouts and I would advise a shop weld some turn downs on them as they will most def exit under the car and you don't want the exhaust fumes sitting there or permeating the cabin. Now a good set of cutouts and the labor to install is gonna be several hundred dollars. If you want to maintain OEM sound w/ option of it being loud at the flick of a switch, that's a good route. But for proably the same money you can pick up a Megan or Ebay muffler that sounds pretty decent and is not overbearing. Most are copies of the Agency Power design.

Good Luck!
m3an is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Here's two videos of LostMarine's car (he's over on BB though so you won't be able to contact him on this forum).

1st video gives you some comparison of fully closed to fully open


2nd video gives you a much better audio clip of fully open at WOT
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
e92involved
Captain
 
e92involved's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 646
iTrader: (1)

When I think of cutouts I think of something different than a valuetronic exhaust. When I used to run "cutouts" it was a pipe that came off the piping connected after the header before the cats. That's where the caps could be taken on and off. These valuetronic exhaust systems have the values after the cats before the mufflers. Do you follow me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
News flash, valvetronic has cutouts that open/close. So how do you like your valvetronic? What brand do you have or did you have a custom setup made?

OP, I have briefly ran with no catback and the S65 sounds exotically amazing above 4k, however, there is drone below that. And you're letting the exhaust gas heat build up in a pocket right below the center of the car - which is why it was a brief "experiment". The sound was addictive though, I'm contemplating the same thing.
__________________
e92involved is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
News flash, valvetronic has cutouts that open/close.
The valve'd exhausts are cutout exhausts. The valve'd systems (Evolve, Gintani, IPE, etc) all have a stock like "civil" setting & then the straight pipe setting. All of these systems still maintain the mufflers & have some backpressure (maintain TQ).

A cutout system basically eliminates the muffler section (assuming you install them post X-pipe). This will be loud as shit because you're eliminating the only remaining resonator (mufflers) with cutouts & you might also lose a small amount of TQ because of the decrease in backpressure


A cutout exhaust also costs ~1/10th of a valvetronic system

Last edited by benzy89; 11-09-2012 at 12:29 PM.
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Dellort_M3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 431
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92involved View Post
Just buy an Akra slip-on when you are ready. More power, not too loud and very nice sound with the top down. I have had this system and it is wonderful. I have now switched to a valuetronic step up and yes it is expensive. Not sure about cut-outs on this car, but it sounded good on my Camero when I was 16!
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92involved View Post
When I think of cutouts I think of something different than a valuetronic exhaust. When I used to run "cutouts" it was a pipe that came off the piping connected after the header before the cats. That's where the caps could be taken on and off. These valuetronic exhaust systems have the values after the cats before the mufflers. Do you follow me?
Valvetronic*
Valves*
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red 6MT E92 M3 | Active Stage 2 w/Meth | KW Clubsport | OSS | Challenge Front Lip | Vorsteiner Type 2 Rear Diffuser and Bootlid | Brembo | Recaro | Akrapovic Slip-On | Challenge Race+ X-Pipe | Vossen CV3 | OEM 359M | TE37SL
Dellort_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
e92involved
Captain
 
e92involved's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 646
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellort_M3 View Post
Valvetronic*
Valves*
Are you serious?
__________________
e92involved is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
Invadermoose
Private First Class
 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: florida

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Another thing.. Will these void my warranty?
Invadermoose is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST