BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

GetBMWParts

11-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I own Tesla stock so obviously I believe in the company, but...

There's no doubt it's a quick car in real world conditions but to say it's faster than gas powered performance sedans is a gross misstatement of the facts. Like the Roadster before it, it's all launch and midrange, with zilch for topend. A 328i would pull it above 100mph.

I'm interested to see when they start putting multi-speed gearboxes in their cars. That would make a big difference in topend (which is really irrelevant in the real world, heh)

As for a Model S giving an M5 a run for its money around a racetrack? No. The M5 traps 10mph higher in the 1/4 mile, and accelerates much, much harder between 70mph and 140mph than the Model S, which are the important speed ranges on a road course. It's also 600lbs heavier and the CG height isn't that much better, maybe half an inch to an inch, and the M5 comes with much better tires and brakes as well. It's not a contest, not even close.

The fact that we're having this discussion, means Tesla has changed the game IMO
+1, if the the S (and subsequent model X) are reliable.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #24
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I own Tesla stock so obviously I believe in the company, but...

There's no doubt it's a quick car in real world conditions but to say it's faster than gas powered performance sedans is a gross misstatement of the facts. Like the Roadster before it, it's all launch and midrange, with zilch for topend. A 328i would pull it above 100mph.

I'm interested to see when they start putting multi-speed gearboxes in their cars. That would make a big difference in topend (which is really irrelevant in the real world, heh)

As for a Model S giving an M5 a run for its money around a racetrack? No. The M5 traps 10mph higher in the 1/4 mile, and accelerates much, much harder between 70mph and 140mph than the Model S, which are the important speed ranges on a road course. It's also 600lbs heavier and the CG height isn't that much better, maybe half an inch to an inch, and the M5 comes with much better tires and brakes as well. It's not a contest, not even close.

The fact that we're having this discussion, means Tesla has changed the game IMO
You are spot on. MT did a test with a Tesla Roadster and a Boxster S. After 80 mph, the Boxster S ran away from it and also trapped 7 mph faster in the 1/4 mile. On the track the tesla got embarassed. The weight and batteries are not ideal for tracking handling.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #25
Richbot
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
I'm on the list for a performance S
Jealous!
      11-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #26
GrussGott
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
For those of you interested in drivetrains of the future here's an interesting article that dumps on EVs and says NG is the future:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/9768...ise-of-the-ngv

Quote:
There are increasing signs the electric car strategy is doomed while natural gas vehicles are rapidly gaining traction. Let's take a closer look at this important issue. Which companies will thrive and which companies will be left by the wayside?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
adc
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
For those of you interested in drivetrains of the future here's an interesting article that dumps on EVs and says NG is the future:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/9768...ise-of-the-ngv
Natural gas conversions have been available in Europe for decades, for pretty much any automobile. Logically, it should have Long ago gained traction in the US with our vast NG reserves, but it hasn't. The reason? I blame the ridiculously low gasoline tax compared to the rest of the world.

Want mass adoption of alternative cars and fuels? Just raise the gasoline price to $7-8 per gallon, sit back, and watch it happen.

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0