BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,827
iTrader: (1)

How to Combat Rattles

Hey All,

I didn't want to come in here and complain about having rattles. Instead I'm looking for some information as to how users have combated rattles.

Maybe someone who has had success removing a certain rattle he can write up a DYI for it.

Or we can get a list of dealers and vendors who know that they are doing when it comes to rattles.
I'm currently out of warranty so let's keep that in mind.

Thanks all.

Regards,
Chris
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,475
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
The most annoying one i have seems to be coming from the passenger dash area inside the vents...sounds like a metallic rattle/buzzing...i took it to the dealer to see what they can find but they blamed the noise on my full akra exhaust...they told me to remove me exhaust then have them fix it...im still learning to live with it.

I also have a rattling that sounds like the windshield is loose...on cold mornings and bumpy roads i hear some kind of creaking noise from the center in front of the nav hump

the other rattles ive tried to fix with felt tape lining and stuff but really no luck...i hear the back seats rattle, rear deck...sucks...my e92 328i is dead quiet
ES_TRADER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,827
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
The most annoying one i have seems to be coming from the passenger dash area inside the vents...sounds like a metallic rattle/buzzing...i took it to the dealer to see what they can find but they blamed the noise on my full akra exhaust...they told me to remove me exhaust then have them fix it...im still learning to live with it.

I also have a rattling that sounds like the windshield is loose...on cold mornings and bumpy roads i hear some kind of creaking noise from the center in front of the nav hump

the other rattles ive tried to fix with felt tape lining and stuff but really no luck...i hear the back seats rattle, rear deck...sucks...my e92 328i is dead quiet
Maybe I should be thankful then. My passenger door rattles and occasionally I hear something from the backseats.
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
CarbonFoot
First Lieutenant
 
CarbonFoot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA - Bay Area

Posts: 332
iTrader: (0)

Buy yourself a roll of foam backed tape and go to town. Rattles drive me absolutely crazy and I've had great success with applying this stuff in key areas of my car. The hardest part is isolating the areas that are causing the problem. It helps if you have a bassy exhaust and helper touching and applying pressure in rattling areas as you blip the throttle or drive.
CarbonFoot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,671
iTrader: (0)

No rattles in my E90 although I've tried to fix other car rattles with foam backed tape and I could never get it in the tight spaces well enough.
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
 
Drives: BMW M3 E92
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 997
iTrader: (0)

Passenger side rear seatbelt are, rattles and annoys me all the time


and of-course the dealer "cannot replicate the rattle owner mentioned"
__________________

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
besiktas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #7
RBB
First Lieutenant
 
RBB's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NOVA

Posts: 344
iTrader: (10)

My passenger side front seat rattles from time to time when no one is sitting in it. I can place my hand on the seatback and apply some pressure and it'll stop, but come right back once I release. Very annoying.
RBB is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Totti
Troll
 
Totti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)

x2 passenger door rattle.
__________________
BMW E92 M3 Coupe | Jerez Black | Fox Red Extended / Carbon Black Trim| Fully Loaded | Moonroof | 6MT | Gintani Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Totti is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,699
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by besiktas View Post
Passenger side rear seatbelt are, rattles and annoys me all the time


and of-course the dealer "cannot replicate the rattle owner mentioned"
That's actually the B-pillar trim. Haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, but at first I thought it was Jeeves that was causing the rattle.

I had a BAD rattle on colder morning from my instrument cluster. I could hear it over my music and my somewhat loud exhaust.

The Fix: Take the cluster out (there's only 2 screwdrivers at the top). Saw that main part of the cluster to the lens was pretty loose, meaning the clips weren't doing their jobs.... wait for it... wait for it. I used duct tape to have the pieces tight so that it doesn't rattle. Job done
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
Turd Ferguson
Private
 
Turd Ferguson's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

I'm having the hardest time locating the source of a rattle in my E90. It seems to be coming from directly in front of me while driving - sometimes it sounds like it's coming from somewhere around the headlier, sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the top of dash. I'm already armed with felt tape, just can't seem to locate the source. Its driving me crazy lol
Turd Ferguson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
kscarrol
Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 2,115
iTrader: (0)

I have one bad rattle in my E90, A pillar driver's side. Sounds like it is close to where the A pillar meets the roof but have not been able to isolate. Frankly the streets are so bad here in New Orleans that I have simply resigned myself to a lifetime of rattles...
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
kscarrol is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,475
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sic
I'm having the hardest time locating the source of a rattle in my E90. It seems to be coming from directly in front of me while driving - sometimes it sounds like it's coming from somewhere around the headlier, sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the top of dash. I'm already armed with felt tape, just can't seem to locate the source. Its driving me crazy lol
Yes, sounds like one of mine. I know the feeling. I'm armed with all the proper tools...felt tapes, foam tapes, wearher stripping, an assortment of lubrixants and professional trim pullers. The whole nine yards. Problem is I can Effin locate them or have someone patience enough to sit around in my car and probe here and there while I drive to duplicate the noises. Argh. Winter time coming and that's not gonna help. These threads will also surface during this time of year.
ES_TRADER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
mofbb
Lieutenant
 
mofbb's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: British Columbia

Posts: 517
iTrader: (0)

i have rattling noise from the rear seat when i am on bumpy road but i just cant find the exact source.
__________________
335i Cabriolet Jet Black/Coral Red - Retired but will never be forgotten
M3 Coupé DCT Competition Package Mineral White/Fox Red

E9X Picture Game: 2 points (Slow sign, Leaves)
mofbb is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
Dellirium
Banned
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Dynamat //
Dellirium is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sic View Post
I'm having the hardest time locating the source of a rattle in my E90. It seems to be coming from directly in front of me while driving - sometimes it sounds like it's coming from somewhere around the headlier, sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the top of dash. I'm already armed with felt tape, just can't seem to locate the source. Its driving me crazy lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
I have one bad rattle in my E90, A pillar driver's side. Sounds like it is close to where the A pillar meets the roof but have not been able to isolate. Frankly the streets are so bad here in New Orleans that I have simply resigned myself to a lifetime of rattles...
I recently used silicone lubricant on the door and window weatherstripping. Cured damn near every rattle in the car.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #16
kscarrol
Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 2,115
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I recently used silicone lubricant on the door and window weatherstripping. Cured damn near every rattle in the car.
Yes, had the "creaking" doors in the M3, the 545 and 550. This is different and definitely something inside the pillar...
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
kscarrol is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
Turd Ferguson
Private
 
Turd Ferguson's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Yes, had the "creaking" doors in the M3, the 545 and 550. This is different and definitely something inside the pillar...
Agreed - I've fixed the creaky door seals with a good cleaning and application of carbaflo. This is definitely coming from inside.
Turd Ferguson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
CarbonFoot
First Lieutenant
 
CarbonFoot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CA - Bay Area

Posts: 332
iTrader: (0)

If all else fails, this always works:
Attached Images
 
CarbonFoot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
Xanadu
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Portsmouth

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Im glad I am not the only one who think this car rattles alot
Xanadu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #20
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,827
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFoot View Post
Buy yourself a roll of foam backed tape and go to town. Rattles drive me absolutely crazy and I've had great success with applying this stuff in key areas of my car. The hardest part is isolating the areas that are causing the problem. It helps if you have a bassy exhaust and helper touching and applying pressure in rattling areas as you blip the throttle or drive.

Now, are we removing panels and stuff to get to the rattle?

Is that where you're applying the foam backed tape?
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #21
erm324
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,055
iTrader: (1)

The rattles in my car have become extremely noticeable after I returned my exhaust back to stock (previously was running a full catless setup that was extremely loud so I could never really hear any of these subtle sounds inside the cabin). I never really noticed any noises until now, and my patience is growing really thin to say the least. I have a TERRIBLE rattle coming from directly in front of me, it almost sounds as if the winshield/dashboard is rattling (it is progressively getting worse). I also have another rattle coming from my rear seats at times. I do not know what to do because its the little things like this that is making me grow to hate the car - do you think the dealer would take a look at this, or probably simply dismiss it? I need to get this fixed I want to pull my hair out everytime I hear my dashboard/winshield creak - its intolerable
erm324 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,475
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324
The rattles in my car have become extremely noticeable after I returned my exhaust back to stock (previously was running a full catless setup that was extremely loud so I could never really hear any of these subtle sounds inside the cabin). I never really noticed any noises until now, and my patience is growing really thin to say the least. I have a TERRIBLE rattle coming from directly in front of me, it almost sounds as if the winshield/dashboard is rattling (it is progressively getting worse). I also have another rattle coming from my rear seats at times. I do not know what to do because its the little things like this that is making me grow to hate the car - do you think the dealer would take a look at this, or probably simply dismiss it? I need to get this fixed I want to pull my hair out everytime I hear my dashboard/winshield creak - its intolerable
The dealer will look at it under warranty but the techs are only allotted x amount of time to find and solve the rattle. If they can't, they'll just leave it there and write cant duplicate since they aren't going to get paid for their time they just stop and hopefully your car gets reassigned to someone else the next time it's in
ES_TRADER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST