BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #89
Sam@ModeCarbon
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Sam@ModeCarbon's Avatar
 
Drives: using 3 pedals
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY l LA

Posts: 3,375
iTrader: (2)

Shell or Exxon
__________________
Sam@ModeCarbon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #90
E90M3-SG
Second Lieutenant
 
E90M3-SG's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 298
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
Shell V-Power!
E90M3-SG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #91
BMWJ
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 315
iTrader: (0)

Choose your favorite and go for it, it makes no difference which brand you buy. It's all marketing, and clearly the gas companies are doing a good job with that. By the way look up who owns top tier.... it's all marketing my friends. No different than the Pepsi or Coke argument.
BMWJ is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #92
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
 
M3forMe's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 E92 - AW
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orange

Posts: 531
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ View Post
Choose your favorite and go for it, it makes no difference which brand you buy. It's all marketing, and clearly the gas companies are doing a good job with that. By the way look up who owns top tier.... it's all marketing my friends. No different than the Pepsi or Coke argument.
I heard something to the fact that maybe like 3 companies own all the refineries. All the different banners out there roll up to these 3.

Not sure if that is accurate but I had heard that.

The one thing I do know that if it is not a corporate owned store, the gas is not always the same. They can buy gas "off the rack" so marketing does come into play.

I think I would spend more time making sure to go to a busy station not what station to ensure you do not get stale gas.
M3forMe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #93
IFX
Banned
 
Drives: AW e46M/N54
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Fla.

Posts: 2,538
iTrader: (1)

Mobil.
IFX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #94
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

99% Shell, 1% BP
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #95
cambit
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 COUPE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 149
iTrader: (0)

i probably wasted my money, but during the 1200 mile break-in period I filled up with Sunoco GT 100 octane gas from my local 76 station (woodside, redwood city).

Occasionally I go back to mix 100/91 to get ~95 octane, but mostly just fill up at the whatever gas station is near, Shell, Chevron, 76, and Costco gas.
cambit is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #96
Dellirium
Banned
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Shell
Dellirium is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #97
redline9001
Captain
 
redline9001's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, MDX, Titan
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 649
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
If you are Canadian then watch Marketplace on CBC tonight at 9:30 PM

You may find it interesting as the truth will be told about the different gasoline grades and how the public is being mislead by the oil companies.
The show was lame ... Basically said follow manufactor recommendations. And don't put premium in shit boxes.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 | JEREZ BLACK | EXTENDED BAMBOO NOVILLO | EXECUTIVE PKG | M-DRIVE | EDC | M-DCT
MODS | KW S/O | HRE P40SC | Akra Evo |ESS Akra Tune | BMC drop in | StopTech Trophies | TMS Pulley | LUX V3
redline9001 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #98
Xtopherus
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Silicon Valley, CA

Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambit View Post
i probably wasted my money, but during the 1200 mile break-in period I filled up with Sunoco GT 100 octane gas from my local 76 station (woodside, redwood city).

Occasionally I go back to mix 100/91 to get ~95 octane, but mostly just fill up at the whatever gas station is near, Shell, Chevron, 76, and Costco gas.
I've been to that station and have contemplated a tank of that stuff. I have to wonder, though, how long does that gas sit in the underground tank? There can't be that much of a demand for it.
Xtopherus is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #99
izzyM3
Lieutenant
 
izzyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southbay

Posts: 483
iTrader: (2)

91 of course - United oil... closest, cheapest n my M still zips.
izzyM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #100
cambit
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 COUPE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 149
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtopherus View Post
I've been to that station and have contemplated a tank of that stuff. I have to wonder, though, how long does that gas sit in the underground tank? There can't be that much of a demand for it.

I can't really speculate on the demand for that racing fuel. I think it's a legitimate concern, but given the options in the area we don't have much of a choice.

I do want to say based on my own experience that octane ratings 91 vs 93 vs 95 vs 100 have a larger material effect than comparing Shell vs Chevron vs 76, all at 91.
cambit is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #101
kawasaki00
Major
 
kawasaki00's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

Posts: 1,110
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Is it kind of a mom's pop's store? There's a few no name brands not far from the house, but if I'm going to go non-top tier, I'm sticking with a bigger chain like Spinx.
No the main one I use is a Shell station. I live on Lake Norman and there are ethanol free stations all over. Lot of guys have burned up the engines in boats and jetskis from the ethanol fuel.
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
kawasaki00 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #102
kawasaki00
Major
 
kawasaki00's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

Posts: 1,110
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogeM3 View Post
For those that use pure gasoline, just remember to use BMW Fuel System Cleaner in the tank every 6k miles to clean your injectors... Part of Shell and Shell like Gas stations that is good, is that they have chemicals (cleaners) that help your engine, that's basically the only good thing they have, so by using pure gas it would be helpful for you to use a Fuel Cleaner, like BMW's.

my 2 cents
Actually using ethanol in the fuel is far worse for your system. The reason bmw started using the cleaner was to combat the ethanol in the fuel. Pure gasoline has superior cleaning power over ethanol, methanol alcohol etc. Problem with ethanol is when it evaporates it leaves a horrible sticky film on everything, it also dries out gaskets, seals etc. We have had to change all the orings in our fuel systems at work because the ethanol will make them swell up and dry out and start leaking.
Even the ethanol free gasoline has the detergent package as the others have. Just like oil.
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
kawasaki00 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #103
Powerbeast
Major General
 
Powerbeast's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 Dakar Yellow
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 6,891
iTrader: (4)

Chevron or Mobil
Powerbeast is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #104
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
 
RogeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E93 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Asheville, NC

Posts: 268
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Actually using ethanol in the fuel is far worse for your system. The reason bmw started using the cleaner was to combat the ethanol in the fuel. Pure gasoline has superior cleaning power over ethanol, methanol alcohol etc. Problem with ethanol is when it evaporates it leaves a horrible sticky film on everything, it also dries out gaskets, seals etc. We have had to change all the orings in our fuel systems at work because the ethanol will make them swell up and dry out and start leaking.
Even the ethanol free gasoline has the detergent package as the others have. Just like oil.
That's why I use 100% pure gasoline, I think I've only put once Shell Gas with ethanol, just once.... I don't like ethanol gasoline, poor MPG, water in the tank, poor performance, etc... I put the BMW Cleaner, since it was recommended to me by the dealer, saying it helps keep the engine clean, so 100% Non-ethanol Gasoline plus a Cleaner it's what i do... I'll do more research to find out if I really need the cleaner. Thanks!
RogeM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #105
Marco@McKennaPerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Norwalk, CA

Posts: 522
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Marco@McKennaPerformance Send a message via MSN to Marco@McKennaPerformance
Chevron or Shell
Marco@McKennaPerformance is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #106
24601
Major
 
24601's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 1,157
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 Toyota Prius  [0.00]
2014 BMW 750Li  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ View Post
Choose your favorite and go for it, it makes no difference which brand you buy. It's all marketing, and clearly the gas companies are doing a good job with that. By the way look up who owns top tier.... it's all marketing my friends. No different than the Pepsi or Coke argument.
Very true. My Aunt works for BP and confirmed the above.

That said, since we dont have BP in Hawaii, I only put Chevron.
__________________
MY13 E92 M3 SS w/ ZCP l ZPP l 2MK l 6NR l 752 l M Performance Exhaust, Grill, Side Gills, C/F splitters

Sold - 2009 E92 335i LMB M-Sport
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
24601 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #107
rdollie
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle area

Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)

Let me assure you that's inaccurate. There are refineries owned by the top-tier brands (e.g., Chevron), 2nd tier brands (e.g., Valero), independent refineries (becoming less common) and joint ventures.

Also, even the top-tier brands will on occasion buy on the spot market if economics/demand dictate. They simply buy a specific spec and may or may not have to blend it with something before it hits their retail outlets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
I heard something to the fact that maybe like 3 companies own all the refineries. All the different banners out there roll up to these 3.

Not sure if that is accurate but I had heard that.

The one thing I do know that if it is not a corporate owned store, the gas is not always the same. They can buy gas "off the rack" so marketing does come into play.

I think I would spend more time making sure to go to a busy station not what station to ensure you do not get stale gas.
rdollie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #108
Port Canaveral M3 driver
Enlisted Member
 
Port Canaveral M3 driver's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 E92 M3 & 05 BMW R1200GS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sunoco 260 (100 octane) or a top tier gas? Still looking around the site for info and use of Sunoco 260 by you guys, do you?
Port Canaveral M3 driver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #109
mkiv808
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 06 E90/Cayman S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Milford, CT

Posts: 437
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambit View Post
i probably wasted my money, but during the 1200 mile break-in period I filled up with Sunoco GT 100 octane gas from my local 76 station (woodside, redwood city).

Occasionally I go back to mix 100/91 to get ~95 octane, but mostly just fill up at the whatever gas station is near, Shell, Chevron, 76, and Costco gas.
100 won't benefit your car at all, neither will "95". It doesn't have the compression/timing to utilize the extra octane.
__________________
2009 BMW M3 E92 6M AW/FR
Eibach Springs + H&R Front Sway + LUX AE + LCI Taillights + BMW Performance CF Spoiler + Bastuck Clubsport Exhaust
mkiv808 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #110
GrussGott
Major
 
GrussGott's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 50% NorCal 40% SoCal

Posts: 1,071
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
100 won't benefit your car at all, neither will "95". It doesn't have the compression/timing to utilize the extra octane.
This what the ED BMW delivery people told me: 91 is what to buy, everything else does little or nothing unless you "re-engineer the car"
GrussGott is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST