BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #67
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,496
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Amazing. Car is an absolute scalpel (still) and anyone who doesnt think so clearly hasnt driven one (or for very long). It IS 9.5/10 as sharp as a GT3 (which makes it pretty much sharper than anything but a GTx model Porsche) and in a straight just as fast, however, you can cleary see on the track the GT3 still has its number.



Agreed. how high the benchmark is in the 991, the GT3 should be something else, and then some. Cant wait to see PDK in this car too.
Well, the 991S in the video is 2.5 seconds slower on the production Pirelli PZero's while the GT3 is on comp tires. I don't know..pretty close to me.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #68
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain
 
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: B-roads

Posts: 970
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Well, the 991S in the video is 2.5 seconds slower on the production Pirelli PZero's while the GT3 is on comp tires. I don't know..pretty close to me.

Dave
True, but on a 1:3X lap, tires are not going to make up 2.5 seconds; maybe .5-1 second. Agreed it is close enough especially considering the 991S is down 35 hp and also weights slightly more. The performance and lap times this car puts up for 400 hp is simply unbelievable no matter what way you slice it and no matter what car you compare it to.
Wolfinwolfsclothing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #69
In Extremis
Jordan C
 
In Extremis's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MR E92 M3, 65 GTO
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 371
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
If the e92 weighed about 200-300 pounds lighter and had proper seats it would be the perfect car, price aside, almost nothing would touch it. IMO.
Exactly my thoughts, I've done this and the car really is great.
__________________
Melbourne Red E92 M3 DCT Sparco CF/Alcantara DTM Seats.KW3 Coilovers.Apex Wheels.OEM Performance Spoiler with CRT Theme & Splitters.Turner Subframe Mounts.Vorshlag Camber Plates.RD Sway Bars.AD08s 265/295.15 lb. Braille Battery.Catless Gintani Race.ESS Tune.Dinan Pulley.MS2 Intake.100 Octane Mix.Schroth Harnesses.Challenge Harness Bar in MR.Challenge Toe Link.Krics R40.Turner Studs/Pedals.SS Lines.Rear Seat Delete & more I can't remember
In Extremis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #70
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain
 
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: B-roads

Posts: 970
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I just traded in my 997.2 carrera s for a 2010 gt3 and still have my m3. I can agree with most of the points made by brosef an alms. The s65 engine is truly one of a kind and if Porsche does make a better double clutch transmission, It's certainly not in the 997 models. The 991 may come close, but still not as responsive and quick as the m3'a dct. There are however a few things that lured me away from bmw to Porsche. Mainly the overall sporty, small, light feel of Pcars. I also really despised the seats in the m3, I could not get it to sit as low as I wanted. I always felt I was sitting on a thrown in the m3 and that really bothered me. If the e92 weighed about 200-300 pounds lighter and had proper seats it would be the perfect car, price aside, almost nothing would touch it. IMO.
Cant agree on the M3 weighing 200-300 lbs less and nothing being able to touch it; and far from that in fact. The M3 GTS IS ~300 lbs lighter, has 30 more hp (not to mention revised DCT, wider wheels, downforce, etc) and still cant touch a BASE GT3 (from 2007 though its much newer) even though its more expensive let alone a 997 mk2 GT3. In fact, the M3 GTS doesnt even have an advantage over a 991S despite a better power to weight ratio, so this theory doesnt compute.
If a Cayman S had a GT3 motor and Porsche motorsport suspension, literally nothing would touch it, especially for the price. We can hope and dream all day about if this car had X power or weighed X less, but in this case we know how the M3 would perform based on the fact that the GTS wasnt/isnt setting any benchmarks in the least bit.

I do agree our cars would be much better with that additional weight removed, but the performance difference wouldnt be anything eye opening.

Just to add, I think dropping 200-300 lbs from our cars would also lose some of the appeal it has a a comfortable GT/sporty car. I have come to really love how this car can be a bit of everything and its extremely comfortable to boot. I think more cars are aiming to be comfortable while retaining sharp characteristics and performing better the way the e9x m3 did.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 11-01-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Wolfinwolfsclothing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #71
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,462
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Man, for the last two weeks I've been really contemplating getting the 991.
Now you did it. I was trying to burry that idea, and you just exhumed it.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #72
Raja Ventureshield
Banned
 
Raja Ventureshield's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 coupe
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 5,697
iTrader: (6)

i drove the new 991 and i want one too. Especially the S model is so hot....
Raja Ventureshield is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #73
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Cant agree on the M3 weighing 200-300 lbs less and nothing being able to touch it; and far from that in fact. The M3 GTS IS ~300 lbs lighter, has 30 more hp (not to mention revised DCT, wider wheels, downforce, etc) and still cant touch a BASE GT3 (from 2007 though its much newer) even though its more expensive let alone a 997 mk2 GT3. In fact, the M3 GTS doesnt even have an advantage over a 991S despite a better power to weight ratio, so this theory doesnt compute.
If a Cayman S had a GT3 motor and Porsche motorsport suspension, literally nothing would touch it, especially for the price. We can hope and dream all day about if this car had X power or weighed X less, but in this case we know how the M3 would perform based on the fact that the GTS wasnt/isnt setting any benchmarks in the least bit.

I do agree our cars would be much better with that additional weight removed, but the performance difference wouldnt be anything eye opening.

Just to add, I think dropping 200-300 lbs from our cars would also lose some of the appeal it has a a comfortable GT/sporty car. I have come to really love how this car can be a bit of everything and its extremely comfortable to boot. I think more cars are aiming to be comfortable while retaining sharp characteristics and performing better the way the e9x m3 did.
I am speaking in terms of how the car feels not numbers. Porsche has a big advantage with traction and overall size and dimensions, so yeah it would be almost impossible for a front engine rear drive car with so much power to put the power down to the ground as efficiently as Porsche cars do. I am merely stating how amazing the m3 would feel with less weight and better seats.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #74
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain
 
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: B-roads

Posts: 970
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I am speaking in terms of how the car feels not numbers. Porsche has a big advantage with traction and overall size and dimensions, so yeah it would be almost impossible for a front engine rear drive car with so much power to put the power down to the ground as efficiently as Porsche cars do. I am merely stating how amazing the m3 would feel with less weight and better seats.
Certainly agree (any car will always feel better being lighter) except I kind of like the seats. The seating position really doesnt do the car any justice. I also hate that we didnt get the euro seats with the extra leg bolstering. At least our seats are relatively narrow. Every 458 italia ive been in had the large seats and in corners I slid from side to side in them. Not supportive at all unless youre on the big side.
Wolfinwolfsclothing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #75
alms211
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 746
iTrader: (1)

I like the feel and love the seats in the M3. An M3 is not going to compete with a 911 for the obvious reasons that one is a sportscar and one is a GT. I prefer it that way. I can certainly understand how and why some cross shop these cars but don't expect a 911 to provide you the utility of an M3 and don't expect an M3 to provide you the viseral lightweight sportscar feel of a 911. Ain't going to happen. Pick the one that means most to you but more importantly pick the one that best serves the purpose for what you are going to use it. As a pure weekend fun car, the 911 is almost impossible to beat (factoring in $$$). For a performance oriented DD, there is none better than the M3 for me.
alms211 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #76
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,496
iTrader: (1)

Having owned both, well the 997.1S..the E92 M3 feels much more alive than my 997S did, at least in the engine department, no comparison. The M3 feels much more alive due to the S65 powerplant, while performance numbers are actually pretty similar.

However, if you need to use the back seats for other than transporting small children, thats all they are good for, the M3 is the car for you. If you can afford the cost of a 991S and don't need the back seats no doubt in my mind where I would spend my money. Love the 991S...can't afford it now, also for the fact I need real back seats. When I had my 997S I had a 08 328i to drive around, not anymore.

Haven't had a chance to drive a 991, but the 997.1S bounced around a lot, did not feel as secure and not as easy to go fast in as the E92 M3. Drove a 997.2S and this seemed to be pretty much gone, felt more secure than my 997.1S but still not as secure as the M3. You really have to know how to drive a PCar to take advantage with it, otherwise both the M3 and 997/991 can out drive you any day of the week and it really is a moot point.

I priced out a 991S with just the sport PASM and the $800 sport seats and just under $100k...man thats alot of dough for what amounts to as just an incremental improvement in performance. If I had the money though...very tempting.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #77
e92involved
Captain
 
e92involved's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 646
iTrader: (1)

Hard to compare these too...
__________________
e92involved is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #78
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Certainly agree (any car will always feel better being lighter) except I kind of like the seats. The seating position really doesnt do the car any justice. I also hate that we didnt get the euro seats with the extra leg bolstering. At least our seats are relatively narrow. Every 458 italia ive been in had the large seats and in corners I slid from side to side in them. Not supportive at all unless youre on the big side.
I love the adaptive sport seats in my gt3, wish my m3 had those kinda seats.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #79
ranger22
Private First Class
 
ranger22's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas

Posts: 154
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
I love the adaptive sport seats in my gt3, wish my m3 had those kinda seats.
Those beeeeeyatches are heavy! I recently went from the sports seats to the GT2 buckets. Holy crap the sports seats are heavy! The adaptive seats are even heavier! Total handling killer!
ranger22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #80
KKM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger22 View Post
Those beeeeeyatches are heavy! I recently went from the sports seats to the GT2 buckets. Holy crap the sports seats are heavy! The adaptive seats are even heavier! Total handling killer!
Got the carbon ceramics to offset the seats.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #81
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain
 
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: B-roads

Posts: 970
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Having owned both, well the 997.1S..the E92 M3 feels much more alive than my 997S did, at least in the engine department, no comparison. The M3 feels much more alive due to the S65 powerplant, while performance numbers are actually pretty similar.

However, if you need to use the back seats for other than transporting small children, thats all they are good for, the M3 is the car for you. If you can afford the cost of a 991S and don't need the back seats no doubt in my mind where I would spend my money. Love the 991S...can't afford it now, also for the fact I need real back seats. When I had my 997S I had a 08 328i to drive around, not anymore.

Haven't had a chance to drive a 991, but the 997.1S bounced around a lot, did not feel as secure and not as easy to go fast in as the E92 M3. Drove a 997.2S and this seemed to be pretty much gone, felt more secure than my 997.1S but still not as secure as the M3. You really have to know how to drive a PCar to take advantage with it, otherwise both the M3 and 997/991 can out drive you any day of the week and it really is a moot point.

I priced out a 991S with just the sport PASM and the $800 sport seats and just under $100k...man thats alot of dough for what amounts to as just an incremental improvement in performance. If I had the money though...very tempting.

Dave
991 is VERY planted.

I dont see how you call it an incremental increase in performance though.

Ring - M3 8:05, 991S 7:40. The next M3 wont even come close to 7:40.

Trap speed - 991S is 118-119 mph vs 111-112 mph in the M3. 6-8 mph in trap speed is a completely different ballgame. Not even a FBO M3 with DCT will trap that and I doubt the next M3 when it comes in 2 years will be even trapping those speeds...maybe within 2-3 mph though.

ETs - same story...huge difference there.

And generally looking at lap times, the 991S put up times most 500-600 hp cars put down. M3 doesnt come close on any lap time whatsoever on any track.

And from any speed, any gear, any MPH, the 991S will pull away like a freight train.

The performance increase is significant. If you truly think that is only incremental then you'd have to agree that the performance increase from e46 m3 to e92 m3 was only incremental at best since the jump from our M3s to a 991S is bigger than e46 m3 to e92 m3...and we all know that is certainly not the case. And its not the case with the 991S either by any stretch.

Or we could say it this way. A 997 GT3 we can all agree is a BIG step up over our M3s, the 991S performs at nearly the same level on all aspects (yet is less in price than a new GT3 was)...you were even the one to say the 991S on fifth gear paced with the 997.2 GT3 tires considered.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 11-02-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Wolfinwolfsclothing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #82
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,799
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I'm not gonna even test drive one....
How about a 997 Turbo?
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #83
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,462
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
The turbo never really did anything for me... never really liked the look of it, expect for the 993.
I saw one on the way to a 310 Bimmerpost meet last night. It was an old man driving it. Looks so clean from the back.

Though, I like the turbo power, I would rather have the raw power of a normal aspirated motor. If I really want more power, I would get a used GT3.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #84
alms211
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 746
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
The turbo never really did anything for me... never really liked the look of it, expect for the 993.

In any case I would need to sell the M3, and that would be pretty tough for me. There is no way I could convince the wife to add another expensive car to the garage.
You don't like the look of the 997 Turbo but like the look of the 991?

If a 911 doesn't have a rear wing, it looks like to me. That droopy ass looks like an upside down bathtub
alms211 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #85
konaforever
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 Red GTR
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
You don't like the look of the 997 Turbo but like the look of the 991?

If a 911 doesn't have a rear wing, it looks like to me. That droopy ass looks like an upside down bathtub
I agree. If I got a 911, I would need to get a wing on it!
konaforever is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #86
Bocassden
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Comp
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TO

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211
Quote:
Originally Posted by bholloway View Post
Anyone who would rather have an M3 than a 911 is an uneducated fool and thats a fact. The 911 is one of the best if not the best sportscar ever build. The M3 is a heavy, modified 3 series designed for middle aged business men to haul their kids and fat wife around in. If you think the M3 is better than you're a poor ass peasant and probably a shitty driver. Man up and get a Porsche... You're welcome M3 forums.
You do realize that one is (well, at least it used to be) a sportscar and one is a GT car do you not? Thus direct comparisons of weight & size are out the window. Having said that, I've owned a 997S and will tell you right now that it was IN NO WAY better than an E92M3. Steering, balance, brakes, performance, power delivery, feel, etc... nothing the 997S does better than the M3. Oooops, sorry....the 997S gets better gas mileage. I'll trade the sound of the high revving V8 for the inferior gas mileage.

Carrera and Carerra (S) 911's are nothing special. Been there, done that. GT versioned 911's......whole different ballgame.

Oh yeah, I live in a trailer and am on food stamps and can't drive for sh!t. Oh well, at least Obama loves me.
You are hilarious. Apparently your former ownership of a 997 makes your opinion fact. It does nothing better than an M3? I know you must simply be exaggerating to stand by your argument. Either that or you clearly know very little about cars.
For the record, I currently have both an E92 M3 and a 997.2 in my garage. I love them both, but come on fella, you can't really be believing what you're saying? Are you really sticking to your dogmatic beliefs even in the face of facts? Wait. You probably are. All the Obama crap you spew says you are pretty willing to overlook facts to stick to the party line. You head on over and cast your vote for the man with the magic underwear. You can bash Porsche all you want when Jesus comes to Missouri.
Bocassden is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #87
alms211
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 746
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Yes, I prefer look of the 991 over the 997 turbo... if that's ok with you.

Here are other things I like you might disagree with:

The color blue
Vanilla ice cream
Dogs
Naps
...

It's quite an extensive list , but I think you might get the idea here.
I simply state a comment questioning that you prefer the look of one over the other. Instead of commenting as to why you like one over the other --- you just come back with your typical smart ass comments. How original

You are more than welcome to your opinion. It's a free country (so far).

On top of that, perhaps reading comprehension escapes you. Psssst, I said "to me". That means my opinion. Much akin to your affinity for vanilla ice cream.

Last edited by alms211; 11-02-2012 at 03:44 PM.
alms211 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #88
alms211
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 746
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocassden View Post
You are hilarious. Apparently your former ownership of a 997 makes your opinion fact. It does nothing better than an M3? I know you must simply be exaggerating to stand by your argument. Either that or you clearly know very little about cars.
For the record, I currently have both an E92 M3 and a 997.2 in my garage. I love them both, but come on fella, you can't really be believing what you're saying? Are you really sticking to your dogmatic beliefs even in the face of facts? Wait. You probably are. All the Obama crap you spew says you are pretty willing to overlook facts to stick to the party line. You head on over and cast your vote for the man with the magic underwear. You can bash Porsche all you want when Jesus comes to Missouri.
Did you follow the entire conversation? If not, go back and re-read my comments on steering feel and brakes. Also, where did I say my opinon was gospel. I've owned both cars (and many other performance cars) and know quite a bit about them and their abilities from track to everyday driving. I see you offer no opinon on what you feel is dramatically better on the 997. Your only defense is to say I'm wrong and then bring politics into the discussion. I'm not surprised though and expect exactly this from an Obama slurper. If you want to carry on the political discussion come on over to the politics section sport.

Jesus comes to Missouri? WTF
alms211 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST