BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

2013 jetta GLI

Anyone have any experience with the new GLI? Or even older ones. I want to know about the engine specifically if it's reliable and what not. I heard that they are planning on coming out with a new engine in the next year also. I've always had a soft spot for the GLI once I saw it for some reason.
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
DSB335d
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West palm beach

Posts: 545
iTrader: (0)

They are Ok at best. I don't know if its because of the heat down here or what but the interiors of vw's fall apart here if FL pretty bad. Personally i would avoid vw completely. I've been in a new Jetta recently and the fit/finish isn't what it used to be... Not that they were ever exceptional at any point.
DSB335d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Razzy
Lieutenant
 
Razzy's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

I don't touch vw's, and for good reason.
Razzy is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Cuz5150
Major
 
Cuz5150's Avatar
 
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,251
iTrader: (0)

jettal GLI = made in mexico
golf Gti (4door)= made in germany

If you must have a VW get the Gti 4 door
__________________
-Diplomacy is saying, "nice doggie while trying to find a rock"-

04-M3 vert-Black/Imolla/6MT/Cold/Xenon/HK/
06-M3 Cp-Mystic/Black/6MT/Comp/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Cuz5150 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

I didn't even realize they made a gti 4 door. I thought that was a golf
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
They are Ok at best. I don't know if its because of the heat down here or what but the interiors of vw's fall apart here if FL pretty bad. Personally i would avoid vw completely. I've been in a new Jetta recently and the fit/finish isn't what it used to be... Not that they were ever exceptional at any point.
I dont know. My wife has leased 2 in a row now. 3 years each, and not one problem with them except for her lack of cleanliness and bad parking ability. I was looking to upgrade her to the gli, but didn't know if was worth it.
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
DSB335d
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West palm beach

Posts: 545
iTrader: (0)

You have lucked out. I have worked for a dealer a few years back here in FL, as well as many friends that have had them and every single person has had issues with them that has turned them away from ever wanting another one. Hope your luck continues with your next VW.
DSB335d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

What did they have problems with? I always hear problems with vw, but I have yet to see it. Kind of the same with BMW. Other then this forum.
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Cuz5150
Major
 
Cuz5150's Avatar
 
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,251
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
I didn't even realize they made a gti 4 door. I thought that was a golf
http://www.vw.com/portal/en/configur...0204/20402/109
__________________
-Diplomacy is saying, "nice doggie while trying to find a rock"-

04-M3 vert-Black/Imolla/6MT/Cold/Xenon/HK/
06-M3 Cp-Mystic/Black/6MT/Comp/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Cuz5150 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #10
lcrain
Captain
 
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 838
iTrader: (1)

I had an '06 GLI for a few years. It was a pleasure to own honestly. I had a GIAC tune on it and the 2.0t was a great engine for daily driving. Good MPG, solid torque and good enough power for most situations. Part of me misses how trouble free it was, and the dealership was very easy to deal with. The fit and finish was solid for a 30k (new) car. I bought it used and was impressed with it for the most part. FWD got old pretty quick.

I will certainly be looking heavily at the GTI when I need a DD. I have heard the quality/fit and finish is decent at best in the new Jetta/GLI.
lcrain is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
CAPSGOD
Major
 
Drives: Diesel Son
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: #yolo

Posts: 1,136
iTrader: (0)

I heard VW loses money on every GTI they sell in America.. just like Honda with the Fit.
CAPSGOD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #12
DSB335d
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West palm beach

Posts: 545
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43
What did they have problems with? I always hear problems with vw, but I have yet to see it. Kind of the same with BMW. Other then this forum.
Premature water pump failures, which usually consists of them up selling a timing belt job as well since it all has to come apart. Fuel pump failures on both gas and diesel models. Everything interior wise falling apart... Headliner, fabric on the doors peeling, door switches peeling, radio controls peeling, every window regulator, lock mechanism to open trunk/hatch, drivers door key/lock unit failing.
They would come in for regular maintenance and either the oil dipstick handle or the tube it slides into would disintegrate because of how cheap the plastic was, coil packs failing, wiring harnesses for TDI's failing, glow plugs failing (another tdi issue) countless oil pan replacements (mainly because customers would go to quick lubes) because the threads are easy to screw up on their cheap aluminum oil pans. Door release mechanism for your fuel door failing, countless a/c compressors, bad airbags and crash sensors, exterior moulding falling off.... This is just stuff I can remember off the top of my head.
Countless a/c compressors on cars that came directly from port with 0-5miles on the OD.

I remember another car that at its first oil change had a huge leak, turns out when the oil had been properly filled it was coming out of a hole in a timing chain cover between the engine and transmission... Upon further investigation it was caused by an extra bolt inside of the transmission bell housing.... That car was nearly lemoned as it took 28 days to get the parts and another day or so to get all back together.

I remember a touareg that had maybe 1500 miles on the OD that was making a metallic sound... Upon removal of the entire engine/transmission/awd system...8hr job just for that... Turns out on the back of the engine, the bolts that hold the oil pump in place on a VR6 were loose from the factory and the access cover was keeping the bolts from completely falling out/ starving the engine of oil.
DSB335d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
abisson
Canada FTW.
 
abisson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GTI MKVI
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple Syrup Country

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
jettal GLI = made in mexico
golf Gti (4door)= made in germany

If you must have a VW get the Gti 4 door
The 2 door is made in Germany as well...


I've owned my GTI for around 3 years now... never had a single issue with it. I love it.
abisson is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #14
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

Geez, that's alot of problems
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
EmPower
Captain
 
EmPower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 885
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
Geez, that's alot of problems
This is the silliest thing I have ever heard. Someone give me some empirical or anecdotal evidence that this is indeed very true about the so called issues. I have owned 2 Jettas and I have had very few problems. I have a 2011 for over 2 years now and I could not have been happier. My last car, a 335 coupe was a POS. I had to take it in for some niggling issue every month, had ~ 4 fuel pumps blow on me, the wing mirror motor, the washer fluid motor so on and so forth. It was coming out of warranty and I refused to sink any money into it. I drove it to the VW dealership and traded UP to the Jetta I have now. After all, NOT going to the dealership every few days has to be the ultimate luxury feature right?
__________________
e92 Schwartz/Koralle Rot/Pappel Grau/ZSP/Sitzheizung

Real Men drive BMW
EmPower is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
DSB335d
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West palm beach

Posts: 545
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
This is the silliest thing I have ever heard. Someone give me some empirical or anecdotal evidence??? that this is indeed very true about the so called issues. I have owned 2 Jettas and I have had very few problems. I have a 2011 for over 2 years now and I could not have been happier.
I was a VW automotive tech for over 2 yrs, and I've been to VW training schools in both IL and FL... I've either personally worked on or witnessed every issue mentioned, and has came through the dealership I worked at.

I'm happy for you that you've had a pleasurable ownership with your VW's, but just because you haven't experienced issues like the ones I've mentioned does not mean they haven't happened to other VW owners.
DSB335d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
KingOfJericho
Major General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 5,100
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
A perfectly healthy car will never need to be seen by a VW tech. It's like an ER surgeon saying that the entire human race is sick or dying because that's all he sees when he goes to work.

I had a GTI and my father still has his 2009 GTI with about 60k on the clock. He's had one issue in that time. My 135i was in the shop every 6 months and left me completely stranded at only 6k and had to have carbon cleaned at 18k. You live in a glass house.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
EmPower
Captain
 
EmPower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 885
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
I was a VW automotive tech for over 2 yrs, and I've been to VW training schools in both IL and FL... I've either personally worked on or witnessed every issue mentioned, and has came through the dealership I worked at.

I'm happy for you that you've had a pleasurable ownership with your VW's, but just because you haven't experienced issues like the ones I've mentioned does not mean they haven't happened to other VW owners.
I understand that VWs have had issues. All cars do and some people have all the bad luck in the world. But you have to admit that the N54/ N55 motors have been plagued, so much so that when I got rid of my 335; I was seriously considering the X3 35i as a replacement, but when I spoke with my SA he advised me to stay away. Hence my decision. I got a very basic Jetta without any bells and whistles and it works great. I honestly believe that the simpler the car the longer it will last and that more electronics in the car means more gremlins and low reliability....
__________________
e92 Schwartz/Koralle Rot/Pappel Grau/ZSP/Sitzheizung

Real Men drive BMW
EmPower is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
yObOO
New Member
 
Drives: Like I gotta poo
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
I was a VW automotive tech for over 2 yrs, and I've been to VW training schools in both IL and FL... I've either personally worked on or witnessed every issue mentioned, and has came through the dealership I worked at.

I'm happy for you that you've had a pleasurable ownership with your VW's, but just because you haven't experienced issues like the ones I've mentioned does not mean they haven't happened to other VW owners.
I dont doubt you at all. VW's dont exactly have the best reputation for reliability. However, I've had more significant problems with my BMW while owning it for 2 years than all the problems you remember seeing as a VW auto tech. I'm not saying BMW is worst than VW. I'm just saying my BMW was a POS!

Last edited by yObOO; 10-18-2012 at 12:52 AM.
yObOO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
ouchie
Second Lieutenant
 
ouchie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

I have a 2012 VW GLI... I sort of like mine. Faster than a Civic Si but there is a turbo lag and I can really feel it. BUT change it to DSG then everything changes, everything gets better even brakes. The bad things about it... Crappy Brakes when not in DSG, Shitty Electronic Steering, feel really, really uneasy once at highway speeds, fake engine noise... It's no BMW or Honda.
ouchie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #21
fireline43
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 497
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchie View Post
I have a 2012 VW GLI... I sort of like mine. Faster than a Civic Si but there is a turbo lag and I can really feel it. BUT change it to DSG then everything changes, everything gets better even brakes. The bad things about it... Crappy Brakes when not in DSG, Shitty Electronic Steering, feel really, really uneasy once at highway speeds, fake engine noise... It's no BMW or Honda.
would you say the civic is better then? I obviously know it's no BMW, but for that price bracket is what im looking at. Leasing so it needs to be new. I would much rather get the BMW but they want too much down while you can get the Jetta for nothing down specials
fireline43 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #22
ouchie
Second Lieutenant
 
ouchie's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
would you say the civic is better then? I obviously know it's no BMW, but for that price bracket is what im looking at. Leasing so it needs to be new. I would much rather get the BMW but they want too much down while you can get the Jetta for nothing down specials
If you like SPEED then I say go Jetta, you can upgrade the chips and get 250 hp/300 tq for less than 500 bucks! Spend 800 or so on tires and brakes would be shorter.

If you want RELIABILITY... Honda

I got 2 cars, VW and BMW... So when one of them breaks down, I can use the other one...
ouchie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST