BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
EclipsisNA
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Reggie-335i
Private
 
Drives: BMW E92 M3 Alpine
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London, UK

Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

E92 m3 seat protectors

Hi all

Just wanted to know whether there are any good options for seat protectors which fit the e92 m3.

I know they never look great but my nappa learher seems to wear quite easily, when i wear jeans or enter/exit the car i can see that the driver and passenger seats will show scratches/marks very soon.

Any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks
Reggie-335i is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie-335i View Post
Hi all

Just wanted to know whether there are any good options for seat protectors which fit the e92 m3.

I know they never look great but my nappa learher seems to wear quite easily, when i wear jeans or enter/exit the car i can see that the driver and passenger seats will show scratches/marks very soon.

Any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks
I simply would get rid of the jeans ... I never ever wear them in my M3

BTW ... I noted you started this thread below as we'll ... You can delete it check it out after you click on EDIT
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Kwando
Captain
 
Kwando's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London, Ontario

Posts: 857
iTrader: (0)

I take my pants off when I drive my M3 to protect the seats for this exact reason.
Kwando is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MKE_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 1,649
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
I take my pants off when I drive my M3 to protect the seats for this exact reason.
I take mine off for a totally different reason
__________________
MKE_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
eclipsisNA
Colonel
 
eclipsisNA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Posts: 2,909
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
I take my pants off when I drive my M3 to protect the seats for this exact reason.
Change your name to "Kwamando," get it? BA DUM PSHH
eclipsisNA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
w00tw00t
Lieutenant Colonel
 
w00tw00t's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,618
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
I take my pants off when I drive my M3 to protect the seats for this exact reason.
+10 I also make sure I hold my farts in!
w00tw00t is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Foodle
Captain
 
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 769
iTrader: (0)

Another voice against seat covers. I don't see the point in having nice things then covering them with crappy things to protect them from wear. Who are you saving them for? The next owner?

Everything in this world wears down. Why hide your seats under a cover? If the seats wear really badly, then just get new OEM seat leather after a while. They're not THAT expensive, especially when priced against the car overall.

Last edited by Foodle; 10-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Foodle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 561
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
I don't see the point in having nice things then covering them with crappy things to protect them from wear. Who are you saving them for? The next owner?
Agreed. Use some product on the leather to keep them conditioned/protected and enjoy the seats as they were intended.
ussoldierforhire is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
MMME30W
Riff Raff Refugee
 
MMME30W's Avatar
 
Drives: Civic
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tampa

Posts: 625
iTrader: (1)

I have never understood the problems people have with seat covers. Do none of you have doormats? Or use placemats on the dining room table? Or have a mat in the trunk? I mean, I'm not one of those people who covers their furniture or stair steps in clear vinyl, but sure, having a little protection is a benefit in keeping dirt off the nice stuff.

Anyways, OP - I use a cheap ($20) synthetic black one-size fits most cover from Cabela's. I have the black one and it fits snugly enough when I need to cover the seat from going to the gym, beach etc.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-...Tz_stype%3DGNU

When date night comes along I whip the cover off and have very nice clean seats.
__________________


Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
MMME30W is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
Foodle
Captain
 
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 769
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
I have never understood the problems people have with seat covers. Do none of you have doormats? Or use placemats on the dining room table? Or have a mat in the trunk?
Doormats are for wiping your feet before entering the house, not for protecting your concrete/brick/etc. doorstep.

Placemats are for protecting the tabletop during meals, and removed once the meal is over.

Don't have a mat in the trunk.

Personally, I like the look and feel of the leather seats, and I don't see the point in covering them in anticipation of some mythical future time. Do you ever plan on not having a cover? What are you saving the seats for if no one will ever see them? Peek at them every full moon and savor their perfection?
Foodle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (0)

If you buy some high quality seat protectors then how will you protect those? I'd recommend another layer of protection lest the seat protectors show wear and tear.
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
e92involved
Captain
 
e92involved's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 646
iTrader: (1)

I had custom pillows made out of OEM leather for my GF to sit on.
__________________
e92involved is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 561
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten
If you buy some high quality seat protectors then how will you protect those? I'd recommend another layer of protection lest the seat protectors show wear and tear.
Hahahahaha. Two seat condoms are better than one for sure.
__________________
ESS VT2-625 & other stuff.
ussoldierforhire is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
odiesback
2012 E92 M3 AW EXT FR
 
odiesback's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maryland

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Another voice against seat covers. I don't see the point in having nice things then covering them with crappy things to protect them from wear. Who are you saving them for? The next owner?

Everything in this world wears down. Why hide your seats under a cover? If the seats wear really badly, then just get new OEM seat leather after a while. They're not THAT expensive, especially when priced against the car overall.
^^^ This.

Agreed wholeheartly.
__________________
2012 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Extended FR | DCT | Premium | Competition | BMW Apps | M Performance Exhaust | CF Front Splitters | V1 M Steering Wheel

odiesback is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Foodle
Captain
 
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 769
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
If you buy some high quality seat protectors then how will you protect those? I'd recommend another layer of protection lest the seat protectors show wear and tear.
Foodle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
MMME30W
Riff Raff Refugee
 
MMME30W's Avatar
 
Drives: Civic
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tampa

Posts: 625
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Doormats are for wiping your feet before entering the house, not for protecting your concrete/brick/etc. doorstep.

Placemats are for protecting the tabletop during meals, and removed once the meal is over.

Don't have a mat in the trunk.

Personally, I like the look and feel of the leather seats, and I don't see the point in covering them in anticipation of some mythical future time. Do you ever plan on not having a cover? What are you saving the seats for if no one will ever see them? Peek at them every full moon and savor their perfection?
I think you misunderstood my point. In my view using a seat cover is the same as a doormat (prevents dirt from entering house), placemat (protects finish on dining room table) etc.

Similarly, I put on seat covers when required, such as being hot/sweaty from the gym. Or after scuba diving if I'm still a little salty from the boat shower. Same as putting down a towel, but easier to keep on the seat. I don't have a problem sitting on them normally, either. I think $20 is a reasonable price point. The ones I have are black and hardly noticeable. Do I take them off, sure. But I don't wear a suit all the time, either.

If you enjoy sitting on the leather, and don't ever have any situations where you are geting into your car with nothing other than business suits or smart casual pants, more power to you, I don't really mind what you do with your car. It's really no big deal.

OP was looking for options. I noticed there was not a lot of constructive help in the thread, hence my post.

Peace out.
__________________


Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
MMME30W is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussoldierforhire View Post
Hahahahaha. Two seat condoms are better than one for sure.
I'm just picturing some of these guys caught in a recursive OCD loop with so many layers they can't even get in their cars.
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
HeartMD
Captain
 
HeartMD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT

Posts: 653
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Another voice against seat covers. I don't see the point in having nice things then covering them with crappy things to protect them from wear. Who are you saving them for? The next owner?

Everything in this world wears down. Why hide your seats under a cover? If the seats wear really badly, then just get new OEM seat leather after a while. They're not THAT expensive, especially when priced against the car overall.

+1
__________________
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
HeartMD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
PrimoM3
Chemofski
 
PrimoM3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 X5M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Coast, U.S.

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (0)

Agreed with above... just enjoy your car. Take care to be easy on the egress/ingress, but don't put covers on your seats. Especially in an M car...
__________________
'13 Individual Frozen Brilliant White ///M3 Coupe
Ordered 2/15/12 | Euro Delivery on 9/21/12 | U.S. Redelivery on 12/6/12 | Motor Dead on 7/15/13

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
PrimoM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST