BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Alpine HID

10-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #23
armyav8tor
n1smo

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
I would remove it if it was offered, it shakes the house in the morning. Luckily the new software significantly shortens the cold start process. Saves me the trouble of getting a tune.
armyav8tor is offline   United_States
      10-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #24
6spdg37s
Captain

Drives: none

I loved cold starts on my z06 ... cant speak on the M yet cause I havent gotten it yet .
      10-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #25
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
does this make 90% of M3poster weiners? i though the number would be lower.
Its usually the married m3 owners They also come back to get hfc's installed as well.
      10-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:37:36

Drives: Race car->

Well, you got me there. I'm married and have hfc's. Haven't went full catless yet but we will see.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge race pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|SR34|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|Apex studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
      10-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
RBB
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

I kept it for the sound. You should be fine where you live, OP. My wife doesn't exactly appreciate it. It's very loud inside the garage and she says it gives her a headache. She won't come out and get in the car now until the cold start sequence is over
      10-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
In Extremis
Jordan C

Drives: 09 MR E92 M3, 65 GTO

My car still rumbles the house in the morning with it removed, screen door rattles, pictures/dishes shake, etc. Theres still plenty of grunt on startup. I mainly did it to lower the amount of car alarms I set off.

I don't want to turn this into an exhaust thread, but this car reallly sounds better without cats. I have hfcs and straight pipes for my xpipe, there is so much more deep bass and volume without cats (paired with an agressive rear exhaust). It just doesn't sound loud, it sounds good. The sound is night and day imo. My hfcs have almost a tinny sound in comparison, especially on startup, and I loved that setup when it was on my car. Cold start for me makes the car feel more artifical than it needs to be and actually annoyed me.
Melbourne Red E92 M3 DCT Sparco CF/Alcantara DTM Seats.KW3 Coilovers.Apex Wheels.OEM Performance Spoiler with CRT Theme & Splitters.Turner Subframe Mounts.Vorshlag Camber Plates.RD Sway Bars.AD08s 265/295.15 lb. Braille Battery.Catless Gintani Race.ESS Tune.Dinan Pulley.MS2 Intake.100 Octane Mix.Schroth Harnesses.Challenge Harness Bar in MR.Challenge Toe Link.Krics R40.Turner Studs/Pedals.SS Lines.Rear Seat Delete & more I can't remember
In Extremis is offline   United_States
      10-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #29
slicer
Brigadier General

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
absolutley worth it why? i live in a large lot community where everyone is on at least 1 acre. mine is 1.1 acres. the car parks in the bay at the red x. just how far is the noise going to travel that it is an issue? i understand condos, apartments, zero lot line homes and everyone that lives on top of each other where houses are all shoehorned onto little lots, but we are spread out, and my garages all surround a small courtyard. the sound in the video above sounds badass. bmw installed cold start for a reason. if you are not going to bother your neighbors, why is it "absolutely worth it"?
Do you currently have cold start with aftermarket full exhaust? If not, go for it and report back. I love the sound of my exhaust but the cold start was not something to get excited about. It has a low, annoying resonance that echo's off of walls. Other exhaust systems may sound better at cold start. It's a cool sound with OEM exhaust and probably a slip-on exhaust but it's a different story once you go to full exhaust.
'13 SSII M3 Coupe - KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Front Bumper and Gloss Black Mirror Covers, TMS Studs/Lugs, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Interior Trim/Center Console, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, BMWPedals Extended DCT Paddles, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter, Advan TC3, BBS E05
      10-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #30
m3an
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Do you currently have cold start with aftermarket full exhaust? If not, go for it and report back. I love the sound of my exhaust but the cold start was not something to get excited about. It has a low, annoying resonance that echo's off of walls. Other exhaust systems may sound better at cold start. It's a cool sound with OEM exhaust and probably a slip-on exhaust but it's a different story once you go to full exhaust.

I had an RPI x pipe with gintani race exhaust (no cats) and it sounded incredible. Really sounded like a nascar cold and full throttle onramps the car sounded unreal. But I went back to the stock x pipe and a Supersprint rear section for a little change in pace.
      10-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #31
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

You guys made me add the cold start to my car. All it took was a phone call to AA and a email with the file. Got a response right away with my tune cold start added. Today when I get home I will uploaded.

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, AA Catless Exhaust, AA X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is online now   United_States
      10-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #32
X2Board
Late Apex

Drives: '11 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
I would remove it if it was offered, it shakes the house in the morning. Luckily the new software significantly shortens the cold start process. Saves me the trouble of getting a tune.
Crap! My car is being updated today. I love the cold start sound, it's better that a cup of coffee first thing in the morning.
X2Board is offline   United_States
      10-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #33
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

In the garage, I could feel the cold start with the GT2 & stock mid pipe in my teeth....I opted for clod start delete after I put on the HFC's.
Moxie is offline   Germany
      10-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
surlynkid
Captain

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
planning on full akra evo shortly. was planning to keep cold start.
      10-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #35
Dr. G
Brigadier General

Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
Quote:
absolutley worth it why? i live in a large lot community where everyone is on at least 1 acre. mine is 1.1 acres. the car parks in the bay at the red x. just how far is the noise going to travel that it is an issue? i understand condos, apartments, zero lot line homes and everyone that lives on top of each other where houses are all shoehorned onto little lots, but we are spread out, and my garages all surround a small courtyard. the sound in the video above sounds badass. bmw installed cold start for a reason. if you are not going to bother your neighbors, why is it "absolutely worth it"?
I looked up home prices in your area out of curiosity since you openly put up your addess and I am in shock at the pricing in your area. Similar homes in my area are about 4 times as expensive and usually homes that small never come with large lot sizes like your area.

Has this always been the regular pricing in the area or did the area get hit by depreciation because of the recession and just never end up recovering? It doesn't seem like a city in the middle of nowhere so the pricing really boggles my mind.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
      10-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #36
aresh
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 550i

Its def worth it. It starts up so much smoother and quieter. Its really a convenience if your catless.
      10-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #37
Sal@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Its usually the married m3 owners They also come back to get hfc's installed as well.
Haha!

Totally true.
      10-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #38
surlynkid
Captain

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
I looked up home prices in your area out of curiosity since you openly put up your addess and I am in shock at the pricing in your area. Similar homes in my area are about 4 times as expensive and usually homes that small never come with large lot sizes like your area.

Has this always been the regular pricing in the area or did the area get hit by depreciation because of the recession and just never end up recovering? It doesn't seem like a city in the middle of nowhere so the pricing really boggles my mind.
neighbor is 8000 ft^2. a few houses up are a 7800, 9500 and 7500 ft^2. how big do you need for an acre? i just wanted garages.
      10-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #39
X2Board
Late Apex

Drives: '11 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
Crap! My car is being updated today. I love the cold start sound, it's better that a cup of coffee first thing in the morning.
Well freaking monkey balls! My cold start is all but gone with the new software
X2Board is offline   United_States
      10-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #40
sycd
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Why anyone would remove cold start?!

Holly shit!
sycd is offline   No_Country
      10-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #41
sycd
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP DCT

Garage List
Quote:
bmw installed cold start for a reason.
Cold start is there to warm the catalytic converters so that they can reach their operating temperature more quickly, where they are the most efficient. If you get rid of your cats, for example with an Evo Akra system, cold start is useless.
sycd is offline   No_Country
      10-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #42
e46kyle

Drives: E46

you can get almost as much performance with a high flow cat than catless, keep the cats, and save your lungs.. .catless stinks (literally)
      10-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #43
w00tw00t
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2013 Z06 & 2013 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Cold start is there to warm the catalytic converters so that they can reach their operating temperature more quickly, where they are the most efficient. If you get rid of your cats, for example with an Evo Akra system, cold start is useless.
The Evo system comes with HFCs..
w00tw00t is offline   United_States
      10-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #44
CPWINCH
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 335i m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post

he lives in texas... houses/land in texas are hella cheap