BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #397
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
43
Rep
1,204
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Anyone else notice worse battery life than their previous phone. I went from a 4 to 4s and noticed battery life drained a bit faster. Now with the iPhone 5, I get even worse.

Off the charger at 6am. Battery at 40% by noon and dead at 3. Little to no web surfing. Reading a few emails and about 2 hours of talk time. GRRR.

I close apps every hour it seems. No avail.
No. I took mine off the charger friday morning. Went to work, out to dinner, out this morning as well. Have made phone calls, sent emails, browsed a little bit, sent several texts, listened to 4 or 5 songs and played a game or two. 4pm on saturday i'm at 47%.

But the first three charges i basically dumped the charge as quickly as possible and charged it over night. Did that 3 days in a row. It's still running on it's 4 charge now.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #398
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
43
Rep
1,204
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I like integrated mobile platforms personally. What I mean by that is I have an iPad, iPhone and iCloud. I buy/download an app, and it goes to all my devices. I take a picture, and it appears on all my devices. I surf a webpage on my iPhone, and I can pull up that website on my iPad via the cloud. The wife also has an iPhone, and we created a shared "Family" calendar so we can keep track of what each has planned, as well as our kids' schedule. I'm sure other platforms have that same capability, but I'm not sure. I do know the Apple version works pretty damn well.

So I'm pretty invested in the Apple platform. It's like choosing Canon or Nikon DSLRs. Once you have the expensive lenses, you stick with the brand for the camera bodies. Now, if you are just starting out, or aren't heavily invested into a certain platform (music, movies, apps, etc.), then changing it up is easy.

I think the Lumia 920 plus the new Surface tablet would be a great combo, as both are running Windows. I just have no idea how robust the App store for Microsoft is. I don't need a billion different apps, but I do need the ones I use the most. As far as I can tell, my most-used apps (productivity and games) are not available through Microsoft.

I also wish that Samsung and Nokia would use better materials in the body. I like aluminum and glass. Samsung and Nokia use "polycarbonate", which is really just fancy plastic.


In the end, it boils down to what YOU like and want. No need for fanboi-ism, either Apple, Samsung, Nokia or other. They all have excellent features, strengths and weaknesses. Decide for yourself which best meets your needs, and that's your phone.
This is the same reason for me. Not to mention that if it doesn't work for some reason you have recourse. When i pick up my apple devices they work. If they don't work, someone will fix them in short order.

I just recently upgraded my MBP that i use for work and personally. My previous MBP was produced in 2005. It' still going strong and only has experienced 2 issues. One issue was a $150 cost to repair and the other was $975 to repair. But both issues were know to Apple and because apple holds their suppliers accountable for the components, apple repaired both issues at no charge to me. I'm not 100% sure but i don't know of any stock 7 year old windows laptop that still works as well as that MBP does. It still works perfectly well, but for work i have exceeded it's capacity.

I heard similar stories about iPhones. Everyone i've heard of having issues with their phone has had it replaced.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #399
Optherion
Lieutenant
Optherion's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
472
Posts

 
Drives: Prancing Horse
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal & Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
No. I took mine off the charger friday morning. Went to work, out to dinner, out this morning as well. Have made phone calls, sent emails, browsed a little bit, sent several texts, listened to 4 or 5 songs and played a game or two. 4pm on saturday i'm at 47%.

But the first three charges i basically dumped the charge as quickly as possible and charged it over night. Did that 3 days in a row. It's still running on it's 4 charge now.
You must not even be using the thing or it sitting idle a majority. Engadget.com raved they got 14 hours! OMG!!! and macworld said they got 16 with light usage so I guess I am not far off. No one in our office gets over 24 hours on any iPhone in the past 4 years lol. Just annoys me batteries are so terrible with the technology we have.

On a side note: had my iPhone 5 replaced after 5 days because the screen would stop responding to touch. Store said the screen was defective. Still displayed and played music but the screen wouldnt work. On number 2 now. Hopefully better battery as well.
__________________
Current Stable: Some Audi with a V10, Couple of BMW's, one F Car, and one P car. One lonely GT-R with all the Euros.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #400
Baremeg55
Private First Class
1
Rep
166
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Z4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I like integrated mobile platforms personally. What I mean by that is I have an iPad, iPhone and iCloud. I buy/download an app, and it goes to all my devices. I take a picture, and it appears on all my devices. I surf a webpage on my iPhone, and I can pull up that website on my iPad via the cloud. The wife also has an iPhone, and we created a shared "Family" calendar so we can keep track of what each has planned, as well as our kids' schedule. I'm sure other platforms have that same capability, but I'm not sure. I do know the Apple version works pretty damn well.

So I'm pretty invested in the Apple platform. It's like choosing Canon or Nikon DSLRs. Once you have the expensive lenses, you stick with the brand for the camera bodies. Now, if you are just starting out, or aren't heavily invested into a certain platform (music, movies, apps, etc.), then changing it up is easy.

I think the Lumia 920 plus the new Surface tablet would be a great combo, as both are running Windows. I just have no idea how robust the App store for Microsoft is. I don't need a billion different apps, but I do need the ones I use the most. As far as I can tell, my most-used apps (productivity and games) are not available through Microsoft.

I also wish that Samsung and Nokia would use better materials in the body. I like aluminum and glass. Samsung and Nokia use "polycarbonate", which is really just fancy plastic.


In the end, it boils down to what YOU like and want. No need for fanboi-ism, either Apple, Samsung, Nokia or other. They all have excellent features, strengths and weaknesses. Decide for yourself which best meets your needs, and that's your phone.
This is the same reason for me. Not to mention that if it doesn't work for some reason you have recourse. When i pick up my apple devices they work. If they don't work, someone will fix them in short order.

I just recently upgraded my MBP that i use for work and personally. My previous MBP was produced in 2005. It' still going strong and only has experienced 2 issues. One issue was a $150 cost to repair and the other was $975 to repair. But both issues were know to Apple and because apple holds their suppliers accountable for the components, apple repaired both issues at no charge to me. I'm not 100% sure but i don't know of any stock 7 year old windows laptop that still works as well as that MBP does. It still works perfectly well, but for work i have exceeded it's capacity.

I heard similar stories about iPhones. Everyone i've heard of having issues with their phone has had it replaced.
+1

However, we have three iPads (each generation) 4 iPhones, a new MBP Retina Display, along with 4 Windows based laptops or ultra-books, and two crappy Blackberrys. One of the work Blackberrys will soon be phased out by the employer to an iPhone.

We too find the ease of use, sharing of movies, shows and songs across the Apple devices very convenient. Any issue with the Apple gear, it usually gets replaced at no charge. The windows stuff I have to pop the hood. Tired of popping the hood, used to be fun somewhat, not any longer.

I'm sure there are some great Android iPhone equivalents out there, but for us, doesn't make much sense moving away from a platform we all like and can share.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #401
herbz
hi
United_States
26
Rep
839
Posts

 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Serious question for you guys (i know you are apple people).

Why should i get the iPhone over the lumia 920? Seeing as i wont be able to get the 5 until around the same time as the lumia why not consider them both?

Ive had an android ever since the first one was released in the US. For me, its time for a change, so no more android.

Ive never been a huge apple fan but they do seem to work well based on others experiences. The lumia seems to be a much better phone, really not even close to me. But, apple is known to be pretty stable and has great support.

So, why should i get the 5? or should i get the lumia?
Lumia strengths over IP5
-larger (4.5") screen, higher res (1280x768) = higher dpi than iphone's
-touch screen can be used with gloves of any sort (no special type needed), there are videos of people controlling the lumia with spoons, erasers, etc.
-the camera on the Lumia blows any other modern smartphone's out of the water. the sensor is just flat out larger, no amount of software can make up for that.
-wireless charging
-NFC
-no need for a case as the construction of the lumia is ridiculously solid

IP5 strengths over Lumia
-lighter, easier to use with one hand
-the Apple ecosystem blows WP8 out of the water and will until WP8 can gain any sort of traction. This is really the main advantage the IP has.
-although ios is stale it is still a good looking OS. WP8 definetely looks better than WP7 but MS needs to bring some "manly" looking colors such as grey, black. only colors WP7 devices have are bright and ugly. also some (including myself) are bothered by WP's "visual cue" to swipe in one direction by cutting of the text of titles. it looks ugly and is un necessary.

however, I've owned both an iphone and WP7 and i can say that WP7 is just as fluid and fast as iOS. despite the lack of apps i've lived with WP7 for a year now and aside from using an ipod touch to get on instagram and play scramble w/ friends i don't miss having an iphone at all. in fact the new ipod touches are ridiculous, i plan on getting one of those along with a lumia 920 and just tether the ipod to the 920 to get data. best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #402
sn0pea
Captain
sn0pea's Avatar
14
Rep
841
Posts

 
Drives: Black 325i 2006
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OK

iTrader: (1)

http://www.bodyguardz.com/
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but it's basically invisible shield for a 1/4 of the price with some great perks
__________________

2006 325i: Matte Black Grills, AG m310 19's (19X8.5et35 & 19X9.5et33 - 235/35/19 & 265/30/19), Amber Covers, Magnaflow with black tips, Blacked Emblems, M3 Replica Bumper and Vorsteiner hood!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #403
txz4
Major
txz4's Avatar
18
Rep
1,098
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
Lumia strengths over IP5
-larger (4.5") screen, higher res (1280x768) = higher dpi than iphone's
-touch screen can be used with gloves of any sort (no special type needed), there are videos of people controlling the lumia with spoons, erasers, etc.
-the camera on the Lumia blows any other modern smartphone's out of the water. the sensor is just flat out larger, no amount of software can make up for that.
-wireless charging
-NFC
-no need for a case as the construction of the lumia is ridiculously solid

IP5 strengths over Lumia
-lighter, easier to use with one hand
-the Apple ecosystem blows WP8 out of the water and will until WP8 can gain any sort of traction. This is really the main advantage the IP has.
-although ios is stale it is still a good looking OS. WP8 definetely looks better than WP7 but MS needs to bring some "manly" looking colors such as grey, black. only colors WP7 devices have are bright and ugly. also some (including myself) are bothered by WP's "visual cue" to swipe in one direction by cutting of the text of titles. it looks ugly and is un necessary.

however, I've owned both an iphone and WP7 and i can say that WP7 is just as fluid and fast as iOS. despite the lack of apps i've lived with WP7 for a year now and aside from using an ipod touch to get on instagram and play scramble w/ friends i don't miss having an iphone at all. in fact the new ipod touches are ridiculous, i plan on getting one of those along with a lumia 920 and just tether the ipod to the 920 to get data. best of both worlds.
Ordering iPhones tomorrow. If i dont like it, i will be selling and purchasing a 920. Good review info, i like the looks and everything of the windows phone. Good to know its as solid an alternative as i had thought.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #404
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Kensta335's Avatar
49
Rep
3,634
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal 626

iTrader: (4)

I definitely want to try out a WP8 phone. Just need their app market to catch up a bit first.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #405
txz4
Major
txz4's Avatar
18
Rep
1,098
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas

iTrader: (3)

Just ordered my phones. Gonna be my first non android phone since the G1 came out, and my first ios product. should be interesting.

Anyone not use a case? It seems that most people do, for me it defeats the whole purpose of the phone being small...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #406
bolinp78
G35 convertee
bolinp78's Avatar
25
Rep
1,007
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Just ordered my phones. Gonna be my first non android phone since the G1 came out, and my first ios product. should be interesting.

Anyone not use a case? It seems that most people do, for me it defeats the whole purpose of the phone being small...
You know there are plenty of cases that hardly add any bulk to the phone.. For instance

http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TONES_iPhone5
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #407
vantagesc
Second Lieutenant
vantagesc's Avatar
4
Rep
283
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Still not the same IMO as going caseless. With my 4S I just have a screen protector and a matching piece on the back. I accept that if I drop it, it may break. When I'm do something active I might throw on my case (which is quite thin), but I can't wait to get out off after a half day.

When I get the 5, I'm not sure yet. It's less prone to breaking but the back needs some protection from scratches. Either film or something like this:
http://www.desmay.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #408
bolinp78
G35 convertee
bolinp78's Avatar
25
Rep
1,007
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (1)

If you are prone to dropping things at all, it's foolish to go without a case in my opinion. I have a few friends that go without cases and they are the ones that have had four cases of cracked screens since the 3gs, not the people that run with cases.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #409
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Kensta335's Avatar
49
Rep
3,634
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal 626

iTrader: (4)

I don't drop phones so I always just use screen protectors for front and back.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #410
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
165
Rep
6,792
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta335 View Post
I don't drop phones so I always just use screen protectors for front and back.
neither do I, but it potentially only takes one drop for disaster.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #411
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Kensta335's Avatar
49
Rep
3,634
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal 626

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
neither do I, but it potentially only takes one drop for disaster.
True, I guess I'm willing to take that risk.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #412
txz4
Major
txz4's Avatar
18
Rep
1,098
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
If you are prone to dropping things at all, it's foolish to go without a case in my opinion. I have a few friends that go without cases and they are the ones that have had four cases of cracked screens since the 3gs, not the people that run with cases.
Shut my car door on my HTC sense and dropped it several times... things a BEAST. Alas, I guess that makes me a prime candidate for a case
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #413
carve
Major
carve's Avatar
30
Rep
1,098
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Battery life: if you're really barely making it to the afternoon while only checking a few emails, there might be something running in the background. Is it warm? Double click home, then hold down an icon in the bottom row until it shakes, and starting hitting "-" to quit apps. You might want to reboot, too.

I'm a heavy user and bought a Lenmar battery case for my 4S. I ususally don't dip into the built-in battery until evening. Only $35 on Amazon, and very protective, too.

I do wish that instead of making it 20% thinner they would've given it a bigger battery. I think more people would appreciate that than would appreciate going from super thin to even thinner.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #414
Berardi3
Private
5
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: Mustang cobra 1993
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New jersey

iTrader: (0)

Check out Nokia lumia 920
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #415
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
43
Rep
1,204
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Battery life: if you're really barely making it to the afternoon while only checking a few emails, there might be something running in the background. Is it warm? Double click home, then hold down an icon in the bottom row until it shakes, and starting hitting "-" to quit apps. You might want to reboot, too.

I'm a heavy user and bought a Lenmar battery case for my 4S. I ususally don't dip into the built-in battery until evening. Only $35 on Amazon, and very protective, too.

I do wish that instead of making it 20% thinner they would've given it a bigger battery. I think more people would appreciate that than would appreciate going from super thin to even thinner.
i agree with this but then i though that if i were apple and knew that say 90% of iPhone users were going to have it in a case. People may appreciate the thinner phone. My iPhone 5 with it's case on is the same thickness of my iPhone 4 with no case. Makes more sense when you think of it that way. But i think i'd sacrafice the thiness for more battery.

However, i was on the phone alot today, several emails, on the web a few times, watched a video, took some pictures, made a few PDFs, played a few games. Took it off of the charger on 7am and it's now 10:45 and it's still at 55% battery.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #416
vantagesc
Second Lieutenant
vantagesc's Avatar
4
Rep
283
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Location services, push notifications, and screen brightness are the biggest hogs of battery power. Unfortunately if you let the phone go wild with these things, I'm sure the battery would be gone half way through the day. Therefore I keep these items to a minimum.

I usually keep wifi and bluetooth on all the time so I don't have to think about it, but if I find myself < 10% and away from a charger, I'll turn them off to help stretch it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #417
vantagesc
Second Lieutenant
vantagesc's Avatar
4
Rep
283
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Location services, push notifications, and screen brightness are the biggest hogs of battery power. Unfortunately if you let the phone go wild with these things, I'm sure the battery would be gone half way through the day. Therefore I keep these items to a minimum.

I usually keep wifi and bluetooth on all the time so I don't have to think about it, but if I find myself < 10% and away from a charger, I'll turn them off to help stretch it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #418
johanness
Banned
23
Rep
1,741
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Z4MC
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, Vancouver

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
You know there are plenty of cases that hardly add any bulk to the phone.. For instance

http://www.switcheasy.com/product/TONES_iPhone5

Best case I've ever used. https://www.elementcase.com/Vapor-Pr...Case-a/276.htm

Dropped probably a hundred times - no worries
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
sheep

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST