BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
fuhshietfu
Private
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

Crap I Put 1 quart 5W-30 Oil in by accident!

Ok so my new M3 showed oil level at minimum level add 1 qrt message today. It came on at about 850 miles only which I thought was a bit odd. Did a quick search on forum and seems to be quite common that m3 eats oil.

So I looked in the manual and it said 5W-30 was ok to add. So I got some Castrol 5w-30 and added in a quart. I noticed right away the engine didn't sound as throaty on the way home...
http://www.autobarn.net/castrol-edge...Fcmd4Aodv3kAdA

Then I did some more reading and found out that The M supplement manual says to use something completely different!!! Now I'm like freaking out b/c tmrw is sunday and dealer wont be available till Monday and I'm not fully due for my 1200 service yet. Plus I don't even have an appt. Car says I still got 190 miles to go! Crap!

What should I do? will the car be ok to drive? should I get it drained and put i new oil ASAP?? What to DO??
fuhshietfu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,101
iTrader: (7)

car is completely fine. stop worrying. you are imagining a different sound. the oil will be drained soon enough as it is, and the m3 takes 9+ quarts so you have not put in enough to make a difference.
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Hierlevelz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ENYC

Posts: 492
iTrader: (5)

So are you worried bc the car is unusally low on oil or because you added something other than whats recommended? If the car is consuming oil at an unusally high rate I would not continue to drive the car and or add any additional oil. Oil level sensor could be bad and youre adding excess oil into the crankcase. If your worried about the type of oil i would not lose sleep over it if you plan on having an oil change done on Monday. If you not having it serviced for another 190 miles I still wouldnt lose sleep over it. This is a new car? What is the reccommended break in procedure?
Hierlevelz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
fuhshietfu
Private
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
car is completely fine. stop worrying. you are imagining a different sound. the oil will be drained soon enough as it is, and the m3 takes 9+ quarts so you have not put in enough to make a difference.
Thats what I was hoping to hear. WHEW. Would it be ok to drive it for another 190 miles till service is due or should I get it done asap? If I can wait wo damaging or harming engine in anyway then ok. If there is a chance it might affect anything I rather get it done asap. This my first M so its kind of precious right now.

Is the M3 burning this much oil in the first 850 miles normal? I read that it is in some cases...then again some say its abnormal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz View Post
So are you worried bc the car is unusally low on oil or because you added something other than whats recommended? If the car is consuming oil at an unusally high rate I would not continue to drive the car and or add any additional oil. Oil level sensor could be bad and youre adding excess oil into the crankcase. If your worried about the type of oil i would not lose sleep over it if you plan on having an oil change done on Monday. If you not having it serviced for another 190 miles I still wouldnt lose sleep over it. This is a new car? What is the reccommended break in procedure?
yes its a new car..just under 900 miles. Recommended break in is dont go wot or over 5500RPM for the first 1200miles...Which I've been following but I do drive the car fairly hard while following those guide lines. Probably why my engine oil was low to begin with.

I think I feel a bit better.

Last edited by fuhshietfu; 09-30-2012 at 01:09 AM.
fuhshietfu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
DARK_M3
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: So Cal

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (3)

It's fine. I've done it myself in a pinch. I think I added a quart of Castrol Syntec 5W-30 once.
DARK_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
surlynkid
Captain
 
surlynkid's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 925
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
the lack of throaty sound is only in your head. one quart will be fine until the next change. good reason to keep a spare bottle of the correct fluid in the trunk though.
surlynkid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,563
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhshietfu View Post
Ok so my new M3 showed oil level at minimum level add 1 qrt message today. It came on at about 850 miles only which I thought was a bit odd. Did a quick search on forum and seems to be quite common that m3 eats oil.

So I looked in the manual and it said 5W-30 was ok to add. So I got some Castrol 5w-30 and added in a quart. I noticed right away the engine didn't sound as throaty on the way home...
http://www.autobarn.net/castrol-edge...Fcmd4Aodv3kAdA

Then I did some more reading and found out that The M supplement manual says to use something completely different!!! Now I'm like freaking out b/c tmrw is sunday and dealer wont be available till Monday and I'm not fully due for my 1200 service yet. Plus I don't even have an appt. Car says I still got 190 miles to go! Crap!

What should I do? will the car be ok to drive? should I get it drained and put i new oil ASAP?? What to DO??
OMG!!!!! Better evacuate your city!!!!!! Alert the government !!!! Go to DEFCON 2 !!!!!! Hide your children and change your identity !!!!!!

Sorry......couldn't resist !!!!!!

In all seriousness, please think for a minute what your oil is actually doing. It is a lubricant. It is not some magical fluid. It is also only one quart out or 9-10. In fact, you could use everyday garden variety motor oil if you wanted. It's physical properties, however, would cause it to burn up pretty fast in a high revving, high compression engine like the M3's. You would have to add/change oil much more frequently, but if you were willing to do oil changes every 1000 miles and add a quart in between, use copious amounts of injector cleaner and carbon cleaning solvents in your fuel, it would still work.

I am puzzled, however over the OP's question, and here's why:

A car like the M3 is clearly an enthusiast vehicle. I am willing to bet that there isn't a single person on the planet that has been cross shopping an M3 and a Toyota Camry. One would think that someone looking to own an M3 would have some basic degree of knowledge about cars/engines, etc. etc. If not, then why the interest in a car like this?

I am not sure I fully understand
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6


Last edited by LarThaL; 09-30-2012 at 07:09 AM.
LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
X2Board
Late Apex
 
X2Board's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X5 M
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wake County, NC

Posts: 746
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post

I am puzzled, however over the OP's question, and here's why:

A car like the M3 is clearly an enthusiast vehicle. I am willing to bet that there isn't a single person on the planet that has been cross shopping an M3 and a Toyota Camry. One would think that someone looking to own an M3 would have some basic degree of knowledge about cars/engines, etc. etc. If not, then why the interest in a car like this?

I am not sure I fully understand
Believe it or not. Some people buy cars as status symbols (not saying the OP did) and that is all they care about. It sounds like the OP is just not mechanically inclined and is looking for assurance that he didn't do any harm to his new car. The fact that he is here asking questions gives him a lot of cred.
__________________
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M "Torquegasm"
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
2009 Montego Blue/Grey E90 335i -Gone-
X2Board is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
6spdg37s
Captain
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: dirty jerz

Posts: 753
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
the lack of throaty sound is only in your head. one quart will be fine until the next change. good reason to keep a spare bottle of the correct fluid in the trunk though.
+ 1 after my family having various german cars... I buy an extra QT for each car and leave it in the trunk.
6spdg37s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,711
iTrader: (2)

its fine, no worries
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
fuhshietfu
Private
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys just wanted to make sure.

For what it's worth I didn't buy m3 for status! I owned a Evo8 for 8 years up until the m3. Ive tracked my evo and did a lot bolt on work on it as welL as exterior. pls don't judge and assume. I have worked on my cars before in the past years so I do know quite a bit. Just not every aspect and I can't put an engine together but I can do simple bolts on and follow dyi.
fuhshietfu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,101
iTrader: (7)

Ok. You're under 5500 and no full throttle right now so the quart of 5w30 won't make a difference for the next 190 mi
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Maloney
Vroom
 
Maloney's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW FR
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 157
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhshietfu View Post
Ok so my new M3 showed oil level at minimum level add 1 qrt message today. It came on at about 850 miles only which I thought was a bit odd. Did a quick search on forum and seems to be quite common that m3 eats oil.

So I looked in the manual and it said 5W-30 was ok to add. So I got some Castrol 5w-30 and added in a quart. I noticed right away the engine didn't sound as throaty on the way home...
http://www.autobarn.net/castrol-edge...Fcmd4Aodv3kAdA

Then I did some more reading and found out that The M supplement manual says to use something completely different!!! Now I'm like freaking out b/c tmrw is sunday and dealer wont be available till Monday and I'm not fully due for my 1200 service yet. Plus I don't even have an appt. Car says I still got 190 miles to go! Crap!

What should I do? will the car be ok to drive? should I get it drained and put i new oil ASAP?? What to DO??
I love how you start your post fairly calm and progressively start to panic by the end. Very funny.
__________________
Maloney is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

OP, sorry to be harsh here, but if you knew about the Supplement manual and you knew that the M3's engine isn't anything like the base 3 Series engines, why on earth wouldn't you have checked the Supplement FIRST on the assumption that maybe there are different guidelines for the M3? The Supplement always takes precedence when it has overlapping info, so the only time you should be looking at the regular manual is after you've confirmed that the Supplement doesn't address what you're looking for.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
M3776
Private
 
M3776's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E93 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nyc

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

M oil is impossible to find, I've topped up with Mobil 1 0w-40 in a pinch and havent had a problem.
__________________
Ask me any construction and renovation questions you might have! NYC
M3776 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST