BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #23
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

i bought it but then cancelled it


Since I was going to run different wheels and tires, it was useless to keep it

I have gone through 4 different sets of rims and 8 sets of tires in the 21 months/18k miles I've had the car.
Safe to say I wouldn't use the warranty as I wanted to try a variety of different combos.

Out of those 8 sets, 3 of them were RS3s lol.

I tend to change tires when they dip below to 60%-70% life. sometimes sooner. Tires are one place i don't "cheap" out on
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #24
dreamspeed
Major
dreamspeed's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,098
Posts

 
Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

How much is the warranty? Doesn't really sound like its worth it unless they replace the tire at no cost. Even then depending on how much the warranty costs you would have to replace x number of tires to have it worth it. Patching a tire is like 10 bucks or possibly even free
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #25
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel
dagolfpro's Avatar
Taiwan
30
Rep
1,913
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
i bought it but then cancelled it


Since I was going to run different wheels and tires, it was useless to keep it

I have gone through 4 different sets of rims and 8 sets of tires in the 21 months/18k miles I've had the car.
Safe to say I wouldn't use the warranty as I wanted to try a variety of different combos.

Out of those 8 sets, 3 of them were RS3s lol.

I tend to change tires when they dip below to 60%-70% life. sometimes sooner. Tires are one place i don't "cheap" out on
Was told by BMW that they would even replace wheels/tires that are not OEM as long as it's an approved wheel/tire list. I don't know what the list is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
How much is the warranty? Doesn't really sound like its worth it unless they replace the tire at no cost. Even then depending on how much the warranty costs you would have to replace x number of tires to have it worth it. Patching a tire is like 10 bucks or possibly even free
I believe I paid around $1100 for the tire/wheel warranty. I've had 2 flats already (a week apart, same tire). Invoice was almost $600 each. Dealer replaced at no cost to me. The key to replacement of either wheel/tire: IT MUST NOT HOLD AIR. They don't replace cosmetic damages, only structural damage. So, if a wheel is bent, but holds air, no replacement.
__________________
2011 E90 AW | DCT | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | Prem Sound | Moonroof | BMW Apps |
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 03:49 AM   #26
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Was told by BMW that they would even replace wheels/tires that are not OEM as long as it's an approved wheel/tire list. I don't know what the list is.
Yes but it has to be OEM sizes.

They're not going to put 265/35/18s in the front :P

Then again, I've only had 3rd party ones, my dealers never offered the BMW one.

I had it on my 335 and previous and current Z4 and it did pay for itself on those cars
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #27
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,771
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

I thought my warranty was specific to PS2s?

What is this approved wheel/tire list?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

PSS in 275/35/19 is $345 from Tire Rack. No insurance for me because I've only ever had 1 flat in like 15+ years of driving and I'm careful with my wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
slicer
Brigadier General
slicer's Avatar
61
Rep
3,941
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
PSS in 275/35/19 is $345 from Tire Rack. No insurance for me because I've only ever had 1 flat in like 15+ years of driving and I'm careful with my wheels.
Yes so you could replace 3 tires out of pocket with the cost of the tire warranty. I never considered the warranty for this reason. If you pay dealer prices when you get a flat then the warranty might make sense, but why pay dealer prices for tires? Not to mention, like others, I always run aftermarket wheels in non-standard sizes. FWIW I have not damaged a wheel or tire in the 3.5 years I have owned my M3. The tire warranty would have been a waste of money for me....
__________________
ALL PARTS FOR SALE (click links and/or Send me a PM) -
KW Clubsport 3-way, Mode Carbon GTS Wing, BMW Pedals Billet Extended DCT Paddles, Advan TC3 (9.5/10.5), Planted E92 Floor Mounts, Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harnesses (Red - E82/E90/E92 Version)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #30
nuespeedgti
Captain
nuespeedgti's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rehoboth, MA

iTrader: (3)

i've had 3 tires replaced money well spent on that warranty
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #31
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
3,883
Posts

 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Dealership said I had to patch my tire. I just got my money back on the tire warranty after that. I don't run stock wheels/tires anymore anyways so didn't feel like it was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #32
Port Canaveral M3 driver
Enlisted Member
Port Canaveral M3 driver's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
41
Posts

 
Drives: 13 E92 M3 & 05 BMW R1200GS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
This was difficult for me but I signed up for it based on past problems with flats whereby the sidewall was punctured and tire dealer refused to patch. My 2013 M3 w/Competition package: Tire and wheel protection provided at the dealer by Safe-Guard was $1475.00! Wheel will be replaced only if it cannot be repaired cosmetically and not if it still holds air. I'm not sure how BMW feels about patching what they call racing tires. If I get a nail in a speed rated tire, do you think the dealer would actually just patch it? It will pay for itself if I get a few bad flat tires, otherwise, like all insurance, it's a waste until you need it! I had to explain to my dealer and to the parts dept. why I was looking for a spare tire and a Jack, so who knows until I ask them. The BMW parts man was shocked to find out the M3 had no spare and no run flat tires. Hope that mobility kit works if I ever need it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel
dagolfpro's Avatar
Taiwan
30
Rep
1,913
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Canaveral M3 driver View Post
This was difficult for me but I signed up for it based on past problems with flats whereby the sidewall was punctured and tire dealer refused to patch. My 2013 M3 w/Competition package: Tire and wheel protection provided at the dealer by Safe-Guard was $1475.00! Wheel will be replaced only if it cannot be repaired cosmetically and not if it still holds air. I'm not sure how BMW feels about patching what they call racing tires. If I get a nail in a speed rated tire, do you think the dealer would actually just patch it? It will pay for itself if I get a few bad flat tires, otherwise, like all insurance, it's a waste until you need it! I had to explain to my dealer and to the parts dept. why I was looking for a spare tire and a Jack, so who knows until I ask them. The BMW parts man was shocked to find out the M3 had no spare and no run flat tires. Hope that mobility kit works if I ever need it.
I have terrible luck with my tires in the past, so that's why I bought mine. 2 flats later, I'm glad I did. The dealership I go to has a no patch policy. So, new tires every time I get a flat. Not a bad deal.
__________________
2011 E90 AW | DCT | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | Prem Sound | Moonroof | BMW Apps |
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #34
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel
dagolfpro's Avatar
Taiwan
30
Rep
1,913
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Dealership said I had to patch my tire. I just got my money back on the tire warranty after that. I don't run stock wheels/tires anymore anyways so didn't feel like it was worth it.
Did you take it to Fremont? I took mine to Peter Pan
__________________
2011 E90 AW | DCT | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | Prem Sound | Moonroof | BMW Apps |
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #35
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
3,883
Posts

 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
Did you take it to Fremont? I took mine to Peter Pan
I think it was Stevens Creek.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #36
ussoldierforhire
Lieutenant
United_States
16
Rep
561
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
I know there has been threads/polls on if you should buy it or not. Well, I'm glad I did. I had a flat last Monday and had BMW replace the tire. 105 miles later, I get another flat, SAME freakin tire. Now, the claims dept cops an attitude and wants to send an inspector out which can take upto 48 hours. WTF, the nail is still in the tire and they don't believe my SA.

I called them back and asked them to reconsider. Now I'm waiting in the lounge for an answer while I'm typing this.

Anyone else have issues with BMW Claimes dept?

I guess I could have just gone to a tire repair shop and patched it up, but I didn't think claims would make such a big deal out of this.

OK, I'm done venting now. I just hope they approve it so I don't have to pay for a rental car and lose another day on this.

I hope everyone out there is having a better day than I am.

It's your service dept that sucks. Mine replaced three in a 4 month span on the 335i.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST