BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Rust Warranty:

BMW M3: 12 years/unlimited miles

Ford Shelby GT500: 5 years/unlimited miles

Enjoy your rust bucket.
That "rust bucket" will MOP the floor with your POS
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #24
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,245
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
That "rust bucket" will MOP the floor with your POS
In a straight line sure. It's built for a monkey to stomp on the gas.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #25
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
In a straight line sure. It's built for a monkey to stomp on the gas.
in ANY line you want, it'll smoke you. Keep drinking the koolaid
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #26
Cdnrockies
Banned
 
Drives: BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 1,113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Rust Warranty:

BMW M3: 12 years/unlimited miles

Ford Shelby GT500: 5 years/unlimited miles

Enjoy your rust bucket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
In a straight line sure. It's built for a monkey to stomp on the gas.
Attached Images
 
Cdnrockies is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #27
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,245
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
in ANY line you want, it'll smoke you. Keep drinking the koolaid
$80,000!, and when you jack the car up side by side with a 16K Honda civic, and examine the underbody, the civic puts the stang to shame in aerodynamics, asethetics, and rust protection? If ford wants to be in that market segment, it needs to seriously step up it's game.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #28
Ghetto2315
Major
 
Drives: Like I Stole It...
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The REAL Jersey Shore

Posts: 1,245
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
$80,000!, and when you jack the car up side by side with a 16K Honda civic, and examine the underbody, the civic puts the stang to shame in aerodynamics, asethetics, and rust protection? If ford wants to be in that market segment, it needs to seriously step up it's game.
Then this car would really be a $80K MSRP. I guess this is how Ford can offer such a bang for the buck. Offer the performance, but cut corners everywhere else?
Ghetto2315 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
$80,000!, and when you jack the car up side by side with a 16K Honda civic, and examine the underbody, the civic puts the stang to shame in aerodynamics, asethetics, and rust protection? If ford wants to be in that market segment, it needs to seriously step up it's game.
The car doesnt cost $80K. Its starts at $55K. You cant help the idiots that pay more then sticker for any car. Again with the rust. The BMW koolaid drinkers cant talk about performance so they resort to rust proofing. C'mon man.....
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #30
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
Then this car would really be a $80K MSRP. I guess this is how Ford can offer such a bang for the buck. Offer the performance, but cut corners everywhere else?
wrong
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #31
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (1)

IMO, I wouldnt care what the price was as long as it was resonable for my dream car. If the average price of an 2013 GT 500 is 80k, and thats my dream car, I'll pay 80k. Who cares if its a Ford, or a Kia. If thats your dream car then thats your dream car. On the flip side, if my dream car is a GT 500, and the average is 60k, I'm not paying 80k....

About 6 months ago, I got an 2012 SVT Raptor. I looked from northern CA to Arizona. Average was around 60k. I found some for 70k to 75k. There was no way I would pay 70k when average is 60k I ended up getting it for 58k OTD, just keep looking.
__________________
BMC filter, OEM Exh Mod, ESS Direct Flash tune, flat black kidney grills, color painted front reflectors, LUX Angel eyes, -2012 SVT Raptor 4 dr -09 E90 M3

CCLSVTM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #32
Lowest_Frequency
Audiophile
 
Drives: 2011 GT500
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Arizona

Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

1/3 the country puts their gt500 to bed once summer ends. This winter will be prime time for getting one of these. I'll bet a lot you'll start seeing them easily going under msrp again. Happened in 2007, happened some in 2011, happening now. 2012 winter/spring had 2011/2012 models going for invoice area.

Oh and lol koolaid
__________________
2011 GT500
Lowest_Frequency is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLSVTM3 View Post
IMO, I wouldnt care what the price was as long as it was resonable for my dream car. If the average price of an 2013 GT 500 is 80k, and thats my dream car, I'll pay 80k. Who cares if its a Ford, or a Kia. If thats your dream car then thats your dream car. On the flip side, if my dream car is a GT 500, and the average is 60k, I'm not paying 80k....

About 6 months ago, I got an 2012 SVT Raptor. I looked from northern CA to Arizona. Average was around 60k. I found some for 70k to 75k. There was no way I would pay 70k when average is 60k I ended up getting it for 58k OTD, just keep looking.


I bought my 2012 Raptor this past June. I NEVER had a bigger problem finding a deal on a vehicle like I did with the Raptor. After months and months of searching, emailing, and visiting, I ended up getting it in Virginia. I'm in NY. I was NOT gonna over pay for it no matter what. I got the best trade in offer by far from them as well. I made out like a thief.
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #34
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Legacy GT - 13.704@99.39
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manheim, PA

Posts: 1,881
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Rust Warranty:

BMW M3: 12 years/unlimited miles

Ford Shelby GT500: 5 years/unlimited miles

Enjoy your rust bucket.
Mercedes Benz: 4 years/50,000 miles.

I suppose they're rust buckets too?

Bruce

PS - Hyundai warrants their engines and drive trains for 10 years/100,000 miles.

Does this mean BMW engines and drive trains are short term grenades?

Get over it.
bruce.augenstein@comcast. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #35
nbennettksu
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale

Posts: 969
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Rust Warranty:

BMW M3: 12 years/unlimited miles

Ford Shelby GT500: 5 years/unlimited miles

Enjoy your rust bucket.
I'm not sure why the GT500 would have a different rust warranty over the rest of their fleet. Ford rust warranty is 3yr-36k.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
Caddy ATS . . . finally, a decent rental car option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
nbennettksu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #36
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,245
iTrader: (3)

ok, so here's a disturbing thought. It is a fact that Ford uses the same 6 speed manual tranny in the V6, V8 5.0 stang, and Boss. Great news for the V6 guys, bad news for everyone else. This transmission had a lot of problems early on in the V8 cars. Haven't heard much about the Boss. The GT500 also uses a 6 speed manual. Could it be the same one as the V6? Hopefully Ford, at least swapped out some internal components. BMW always uses different transmissions for each car, depending on the transmissions OEM torque rating.'
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #37
Lowest_Frequency
Audiophile
 
Drives: 2011 GT500
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Arizona

Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
ok, so here's a disturbing thought. It is a fact that Ford uses the same 6 speed manual tranny in the V6, V8 5.0 stang, and Boss. Great news for the V6 guys, bad news for everyone else. This transmission had a lot of problems early on in the V8 cars. Haven't heard much about the Boss. The GT500 also uses a 6 speed manual. Could it be the same one as the V6? Hopefully Ford, at least swapped out some internal components. BMW always uses different transmissions for each car, depending on the transmissions OEM torque rating.'
Shelby has Tremec TR6060. Same as ZL1/SS, Vettes, CTS-V, and a few more.
Rest of Mustangs have Getrag MT-82

Different trannys, semi-similiar issues. I will admit that the trannys are not a strong suit in many american cars...
__________________
2011 GT500
Lowest_Frequency is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #38
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Legacy GT - 13.704@99.39
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manheim, PA

Posts: 1,881
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
ok, so here's a disturbing thought. It is a fact that Ford uses the same 6 speed manual tranny in the V6, V8 5.0 stang, and Boss. Great news for the V6 guys, bad news for everyone else. This transmission had a lot of problems early on in the V8 cars. Haven't heard much about the Boss. The GT500 also uses a 6 speed manual. Could it be the same one as the V6? Hopefully Ford, at least swapped out some internal components. BMW always uses different transmissions for each car, depending on the transmissions OEM torque rating.'
Transmissions care about torque per cylinder (not horsepower), so with the V6, GT and Boss powerplants being similar in torque per cylinder (V8 versions being only around 5% more strenuous in that regard), you can see how Ford can save money thru economies of scale.

GT500? Way the hell up there on torque per cylinder, so it gets a much beefier trans.

Bruce
bruce.augenstein@comcast. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #39
Beemw335
Colonel
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

Posts: 2,016
iTrader: (2)

Ford puts very strong transmissions in their cars.
Forget the few mt82 issues at the beginning, those seemes to no longer be an issue.
The mt82 (6mt) 6r80(6at) in the 5.0 has been supporting 800whp so far, no bmw is made to support that kind of power, hell the 328i uses a gm transmission, so much for german engineering.
Beemw335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #40
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,457
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
ok, so here's a disturbing thought. It is a fact that Ford uses the same 6 speed manual tranny in the V6, V8 5.0 stang, and Boss. Great news for the V6 guys, bad news for everyone else. This transmission had a lot of problems early on in the V8 cars. Haven't heard much about the Boss. The GT500 also uses a 6 speed manual. Could it be the same one as the V6? Hopefully Ford, at least swapped out some internal components. BMW always uses different transmissions for each car, depending on the transmissions OEM torque rating.'
Wow, you are so ill informed..when you are in a hole quit digging...

Ford rust warranty is 5 yrs. and unlimited mileage...

So many fanbois on this site.....a fully loaded GT500 coupe with the glass roof is $67k, without it just over $65k..if the car was available for MSRP great deal, with the ADMs its not. Still what can touch this car for $80k?

Also the issues with the MT82 have all been rectified and uses a Getrag tranny just like our BMWs. Even the DCT is built by Getrag.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #41
sycd
Lieutenant
 
sycd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 409
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Wow, you are so ill informed..when you are in a hole quit digging...

Ford rust warranty is 5 yrs. and unlimited mileage...

So many fanbois on this site.....a fully loaded GT500 coupe with the glass roof is $67k, without it just over $65k..if the car was available for MSRP great deal, with the ADMs its not. Still what can touch this car for $80k?

Also the issues with the MT82 have all been rectified and uses a Getrag tranny just like our BMWs. Even the DCT is built by Getrag.

Dave
I agree with you some posts here go to far and are misinformed. On the other hand the GT500 is not the holly grail some other people make it to be.

The GT500 has an extreme engine but it still has a crap interior and crap chassis. It's all about the engine, if all you want to do is scare yourself and only drive one quarter mile at a time, then it might be a great choice. In terms of "who can beat it" it depends, my M3 beats it in terms of balance, interior, and quality. Other cars in the same price range can beat it on a track with turns, take the ZL1 for example.
__________________
2013 X5 xDrive50i | Carbon Black | M Sport + M Perf, 333M Wheels
Sold: 2012 E92 M3 | Jet Black, Fox Red/Black | DCT, ZCP
sycd is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #42
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post


I bought my 2012 Raptor this past June. I NEVER had a bigger problem finding a deal on a vehicle like I did with the Raptor. After months and months of searching, emailing, and visiting, I ended up getting it in Virginia. I'm in NY. I was NOT gonna over pay for it no matter what. I got the best trade in offer by far from them as well. I made out like a thief.
I'm right with you brother.... And the truck has been so worth it!!!!! You beat me. I lice in SoCal and drove 140 miles to San Diego. NY to VA, wow.....
__________________
BMC filter, OEM Exh Mod, ESS Direct Flash tune, flat black kidney grills, color painted front reflectors, LUX Angel eyes, -2012 SVT Raptor 4 dr -09 E90 M3

CCLSVTM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #43
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,457
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
I agree with you some posts here go to far and are misinformed. On the other hand the GT500 is not the holly grail some other people make it to be.

The GT500 has an extreme engine but it still has a crap interior and crap chassis. It's all about the engine, if all you want to do is scare yourself and only drive one quarter mile at a time, then it might be a great choice. In terms of "who can beat it" it depends, my M3 beats it in terms of balance, interior, and quality. Other cars in the same price range can beat it on a track with turns, take the ZL1 for example.
I wouldn't quite call the chassis crap but it is at the pinnacle at limit of what a LRA can do. Ford will address this with the next generation Mustang. Thats my beef with the GT500 or any current Mustang and why I chose the M3 over the Mustang. However, keep in mind that the Mustang is from the Ford of old, the new Stang is going to be a force to reckon with.

Also, for $67K not much can touch this car.


Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #44
Carl L
Captain
 
Carl L's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 Jerez/Beige DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Coast

Posts: 682
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post


I bought my 2012 Raptor this past June. I NEVER had a bigger problem finding a deal on a vehicle like I did with the Raptor. .
They are awesome toy trucks. Did you get the 6.2? CC or EC? Very hard to not stop and stare when one rolls by, especially in black.

It's funny how trucks you can wheel in can be some of the hardest thing to buy. Worst deal I ever got on a new vehicle was on my Land Cruiser. Only dealer with one in nato white was 400 miles flight away and only managed to get 4k (5%) off it.

While kind of off topic, the best deal I could have got on a new vehicle was on a loaded 2008 Ford Super Duty 6.4ttd FX4 CC. They were advertising 10 of them at 17k off and got it to an even $20k out the door. Funnily enough a dealer in texas was buying two they were so cheap. It was all due to huge inventory dealers were caught out with when the economic crash came a calling.

But yeah, to repeat my earlier post, for 650 bhp with full warranty the new GT500 is an absolutely amazing buy for power junkies.
__________________
09 M3 E92: Jerez/Bamboo
-prev M-car: 08 M5
Carl L is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST