BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Mr Tonka
says, Drastic times call for drastic measures
 
Mr Tonka's Avatar
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,136
iTrader: (0)

You guys....

I'm not sure why my prevoius thread was deleted..... so it seems i must reiterate.

This sub forum is a microcosm of our political system and is the root of what is wrong with our country.

I would love to see how these "debates" would play out if they were to take place in person rather than over the internet.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
OldArmy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central Virginia

Posts: 523
iTrader: (0)

They would be much more civil, the anonymity of the interwebs makes heroes of all.

Of course the most polite debates I've seen are in some backwoods southern venues where everyone is carrying.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
BKsBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

Posts: 1,636
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
They would be much more civil, the anonymity of the interwebs makes heroes of all.

Of course the most polite debates I've seen are in some backwoods southern venues where everyone is carrying.
Because of course carrying a gun solves everthing...
__________________
_____________________________________
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
BKsBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 1,810
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Too many armchair quaterbacks in this section. Half of these coversations wouldn't take place at all, because none of these people leave their homes or offices.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
bolinp78
G35 convertee
 
bolinp78's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 1,005
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Because of course carrying a gun solves everthing...
/ignoretheignorant
__________________
bolinp78 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
bosstones
Major
 
Drives: o_0
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Suburbia

Posts: 1,056
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
This sub forum is a microcosm of our political system and is the root of what is wrong with our country.
This, sir, pretty much says it all. I like a good political discussion/debate as much as anyone since I like to know/learn about both sides of every story. However, I almost never post anything here because it is pointless. A few people that post here actually seem fairly open minded, but they are out numbered and buried ridicule or straw man arguments from others. F1-fanatic is pretty much right in that nothing in this sub-forum will really change anyone's core beliefs, but how quick certain persons are to resort to name calling is absurd and often hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
/ignoretheignorant
I would've said 'case in point.'
__________________
bosstones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: sitting down, facing the keyboard

Posts: 316
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
I think you mostly don't hear from smart people in these kinds of debates because smart people recognize the futility.
The problem is that those who spew hypocritical, incorrect garbage to mislead others are counting on that very thing (apathy, indifference) to allow them to continue to have a dangerous influence on the many others in the world who are ignorant or choose to not think or investigate things for themselves.

You may not change the mind of the person you are debating with (likely not), but you could have a positive (or at least informative) influence on someone else who it reading it.

Yes, the path of least resistance is to do nothing and claim futility when you see someone trying hard to spread falsehoods, or suppress the truth or the facts. Problem is, many others will believe it, act accordingly, and that leads to bad outcomes. There is nothing wrong with calling someone out when you know they are wrong.

Sure, you can argue that they wouldnt say anything in person, because of fear of physical reprisals, and while true, think about it: that's no different at all from an employee saying they wont blow the whistle on their boss for fear of being fired. Thats not a GOOD thing, or a situation that one should strive to maintain.

Internet forums provide an outlet for the truth to be heard, or debated, or at least discussed, without fear of reprisal. That is a good thing.

I may not agree with something you say, but the second I say that you dont have a right to say it in some way, that is the beginning of the end.....
MiddleAgedAl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Mr Tonka
says, Drastic times call for drastic measures
 
Mr Tonka's Avatar
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,136
iTrader: (0)

I should have said the people in the forum rather than this forum.

I mean, I think we all for the most part want the same thing. We all want national security. We all want a stable economy. We all want to help those in need. We all want affordable healthcare. We just can't stop bickering enough to do something about it. As cliché as it is, united we stand, divided we fall.

I'm an optimist at heart, but it's hard to see optimism in our current state of the union.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
BKsBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

Posts: 1,636
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I should have said the people in the forum rather than this forum.

I mean, I think we all for the most part want the same thing. We all want national security. We all want a stable economy. We all want to help those in need. We all want affordable healthcare. We just can't stop bickering enough to do something about it. As cliché as it is, united we stand, divided we fall.

I'm an optimist at heart, but it's hard to see optimism in our current state of the union.
Well said. I couldn't agree more. Thank you for being the grown up in the room. I think we all needed that.
__________________
_____________________________________
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
BKsBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
OldArmy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central Virginia

Posts: 523
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Because of course carrying a gun solves everthing...
Simply my experience with "an armed society is a polite society".

And yes, it can solve "everything" in a very final way.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Andy H.
Second Lieutenant
 
Andy H.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 295
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
You may not change the mind of the person you are debating with (likely not), but you could have a positive (or at least informative) influence on someone else who it reading it.
Great point. Totally agree.
__________________
LIVE FREE OR DIE
Andy H. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
M3Denver
Lieutenant
 
M3Denver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Denver CO

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
I should have said the people in the forum rather than this forum.

I mean, I think we all for the most part want the same thing. We all want national security. We all want a stable economy. We all want to help those in need. We all want affordable healthcare. We just can't stop bickering enough to do something about it. As clich as it is, united we stand, divided we fall.

I'm an optimist at heart, but it's hard to see optimism in our current state of the union.
+1 I uses to have a lot of hope. Now I feel let down by the powers that be that keeps shitting all over freedoms. The courts, the congress, the senate... All seem sharply against the ppl and freedoms in the constitution, which no law should be able to trump!
Kinda wanna move to Belize and start a little farm
M3Denver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST