BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Racewerkz Engineering

09-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Mr Tonka
says, Drastic times call for drastic measures

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

You guys....

I'm not sure why my prevoius thread was deleted..... so it seems i must reiterate.

This sub forum is a microcosm of our political system and is the root of what is wrong with our country.

I would love to see how these "debates" would play out if they were to take place in person rather than over the internet.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      09-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

They would be much more civil, the anonymity of the interwebs makes heroes of all.

Of course the most polite debates I've seen are in some backwoods southern venues where everyone is carrying.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      09-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldArmy View Post
They would be much more civil, the anonymity of the interwebs makes heroes of all.

Of course the most polite debates I've seen are in some backwoods southern venues where everyone is carrying.
Because of course carrying a gun solves everthing...
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      09-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Too many armchair quaterbacks in this section. Half of these coversations wouldn't take place at all, because none of these people leave their homes or offices.
      09-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
/ignoretheignorant
      09-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
bosstones
Major

Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
This sub forum is a microcosm of our political system and is the root of what is wrong with our country.
This, sir, pretty much says it all. I like a good political discussion/debate as much as anyone since I like to know/learn about both sides of every story. However, I almost never post anything here because it is pointless. A few people that post here actually seem fairly open minded, but they are out numbered and buried ridicule or straw man arguments from others. F1-fanatic is pretty much right in that nothing in this sub-forum will really change anyone's core beliefs, but how quick certain persons are to resort to name calling is absurd and often hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
/ignoretheignorant
I would've said 'case in point.'
      09-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
I think you mostly don't hear from smart people in these kinds of debates because smart people recognize the futility.
The problem is that those who spew hypocritical, incorrect garbage to mislead others are counting on that very thing (apathy, indifference) to allow them to continue to have a dangerous influence on the many others in the world who are ignorant or choose to not think or investigate things for themselves.

You may not change the mind of the person you are debating with (likely not), but you could have a positive (or at least informative) influence on someone else who it reading it.

Yes, the path of least resistance is to do nothing and claim futility when you see someone trying hard to spread falsehoods, or suppress the truth or the facts. Problem is, many others will believe it, act accordingly, and that leads to bad outcomes. There is nothing wrong with calling someone out when you know they are wrong.

Sure, you can argue that they wouldnt say anything in person, because of fear of physical reprisals, and while true, think about it: that's no different at all from an employee saying they wont blow the whistle on their boss for fear of being fired. Thats not a GOOD thing, or a situation that one should strive to maintain.

Internet forums provide an outlet for the truth to be heard, or debated, or at least discussed, without fear of reprisal. That is a good thing.

I may not agree with something you say, but the second I say that you dont have a right to say it in some way, that is the beginning of the end.....
      09-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
Mr Tonka
says, Drastic times call for drastic measures

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

I should have said the people in the forum rather than this forum.

I mean, I think we all for the most part want the same thing. We all want national security. We all want a stable economy. We all want to help those in need. We all want affordable healthcare. We just can't stop bickering enough to do something about it. As cliché as it is, united we stand, divided we fall.

I'm an optimist at heart, but it's hard to see optimism in our current state of the union.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
      09-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post

I mean, I think we all for the most part want the same thing. We all want national security. We all want a stable economy. We all want to help those in need. We all want affordable healthcare. We just can't stop bickering enough to do something about it. As cliché as it is, united we stand, divided we fall.

I'm an optimist at heart, but it's hard to see optimism in our current state of the union.
Well said. I couldn't agree more. Thank you for being the grown up in the room. I think we all needed that.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      09-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
OldArmy
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Simply my experience with "an armed society is a polite society".

And yes, it can solve "everything" in a very final way.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
      07-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Andy H.
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
You may not change the mind of the person you are debating with (likely not), but you could have a positive (or at least informative) influence on someone else who it reading it.
Great point. Totally agree.
      07-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
M3Denver
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka

I mean, I think we all for the most part want the same thing. We all want national security. We all want a stable economy. We all want to help those in need. We all want affordable healthcare. We just can't stop bickering enough to do something about it. As clich as it is, united we stand, divided we fall.

+1 I uses to have a lot of hope. Now I feel let down by the powers that be that keeps shitting all over freedoms. The courts, the congress, the senate... All seem sharply against the ppl and freedoms in the constitution, which no law should be able to trump!
Kinda wanna move to Belize and start a little farm