BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
View Poll Results: Would you buy this M3 at http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml
Yes, good buy 5 19.23%
No, too many red flags 21 80.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
fongpi
Jedi Poltergeist
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern California

Posts: 166
iTrader: (0)

Would you buy this M3?

I asked the dealer why it's so cheap, and they said it's because nobody that goes to Chevrolet is interested in that particular car. So they are selling it at a loss. Something sounds fishy, especially this part:

"WAS $47,991, GREAT DEAL $9,700 below NADA Retail. Heated Leather Seats, Premium Sound System, Convertible Hardtop, Rear Air, Alloy Wheels, Overhead Airbag, Heated Mirrors. 4 Star Driver Front Crash Rating."

It's got low miles, and a great color combo. The carfax indicates an accident, and it has an accident report available. I haven't seen it yet, but the dealer says it was a "parking lot incident" and thankfully the guy that owned it then was a "body shop guy."

Here's the link to the autotrader ad:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...24124089&Log=0

What do you think?
fongpi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
mcmastah
Private First Class
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Markham

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

I would stay away anytime the word "accident" has been mentioned with a potential car purchase.

Last edited by mcmastah; 09-23-2012 at 02:53 PM.
mcmastah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
pizzapie
Private
 
pizzapie's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M3 6spd
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

i would say start by going to actually look at it, drive it etc... if it feels and looks good go from there. Do you like the color combo, stick shift, no nav, no competition and a convertible? If so then have auto check.com or similar check it out. Maybe a body shop would even look at it for you. We have all driven cars that we wrecked in our lifetimes... where they junk from there on out. Mine wasn't. I always think it takes a certain type of dealer to handle a special car like that, in turn a chevy store might have to sell based on discounted price. Good luck!
__________________
2002 BMW M3 6spd
2009 BMW 650 coupe (lease up)
2013 BMW M3 IB
pizzapie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
CBS
Major
 
CBS's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535, E90 M3, E30 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA

Posts: 1,110
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [4.88]
2008 X5  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [5.00]
^ Agreed on methodical approach.

Every Used Car I have ever been seriously interested in, I then paid a BMW Technician to do a thorough investigation.
__________________

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R6 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
CBS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (3)

that price isn't a deal, it's maybe on par with what an 08' should cost.
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!
 
Nati Beastcat's Avatar
 
Drives: E55 AMG
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cincinnati

Posts: 1,284
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
that price isn't a deal, it's maybe on par with what an 08' should cost.
I agree thats the asking price for an 08 right now.
__________________
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Nati Beastcat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
fongpi
Jedi Poltergeist
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern California

Posts: 166
iTrader: (0)

what about the reason for the drop in price?
fongpi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
okcomputer
New Member
 
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ATL

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongpi View Post
what about the reason for the drop in price?
It's reduced because it was priced too high originally. His story doesn't make much sense.
Agree it's not a spectacular price, esp with a accident history of some kind.
okcomputer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,673
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastah
I would stay away anytime the word "accident" has been mentioned with a potential car purchase.
I disagree. I'm selling a car right now that had a minor fender bender that only damaged the rear bumper cover but it shows up on carfax because the asshole who hit us was an illegal without insurance so we needed a police report. The bumper cover was replaced for $300 by a professional body shop but now we're stuck with a carfax that says rear end accident. Just because it says accident doesn't always mean avoid it!

Last edited by Transfer; 09-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
SAINT VAN ROCK
///M Enthusiast
 
SAINT VAN ROCK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012, E92 DCT M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Colorado Springs/Black Forest, CO

Posts: 426
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
"The Seller has removed this ad from the site. Keep searching! We update our listings constantly, so we are sure you'll find similar cars."
SAINT VAN ROCK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Nice interior and low miles but the price is about right for an 08 with the primitive transmission and no other options to speak of. The 18s are hideous, no nav, no EDC and the stereo might be "premium" for a Chevy but it's not the "premium" stereo on the e9x m3.

From reading the Carfax, I'm not sure how the salesman would know the details of the accident, but I wouldn't be worried too much about the "minor damage". However, I think you could do better for not a whole lot more money.
SD-E93-11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
mcmastah
Private First Class
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Markham

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I disagree. I'm selling a car right now that had a minor fender bender that only damaged the rear number cover but it shows up on carfax because the asshole who hit us was an illegal without insurance so we needed a police report. The bumper cover was replaced for $300 by a professional body shop but now we're stuck with a carfax that says rear end accident. Just because it says accident doesn't always mean avoid it!
Completely agree with your logic in that sense, but the majority of consumers tend to vacillate at the thought of a car they're going to spend major bucks on, being in any accident ... you might have known it was a minor rear end collision, but someone who's viewing the carfax may interpret otherwise.
mcmastah is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
fongpi
Jedi Poltergeist
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern California

Posts: 166
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINT VAN ROCK View Post
"The Seller has removed this ad from the site. Keep searching! We update our listings constantly, so we are sure you'll find similar cars."
Try this link:
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...ealer_id=69945
fongpi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #14
fongpi
Jedi Poltergeist
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern California

Posts: 166
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
Nice interior and low miles but the price is about right for an 08 with the primitive transmission and no other options to speak of. The 18s are hideous, no nav, no EDC and the stereo might be "premium" for a Chevy but it's not the "premium" stereo on the e9x m3.

From reading the Carfax, I'm not sure how the salesman would know the details of the accident, but I wouldn't be worried too much about the "minor damage". However, I think you could do better for not a whole lot more money.
How can you tell that it's not the Premium sound by BMW? What are the tell-tale signs?
fongpi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

In your other post on this subject, the response is confusing because a thread was linked to with a non-premium speaker pic masquerading as a premium speaker pic. So to reiterate...the yellow cone paper with silver guard is what the premium speakers look like. Even with the offset in this car's pics you can see that they're not the premium ones.

To this particular instance, I also applied some common sense as the car is a complete stripper. If even permitted by BMW, I can't imagine someone speccing the premium sound without iDrive as some of the premium sound controls would be awkward without that interface.
SD-E93-11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
NoM3ForMe
Major
 
NoM3ForMe's Avatar
 
Drives: '04 Quest, '07 Kia Sorrento
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ...location, location?

Posts: 1,424
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to NoM3ForMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
that price isn't a deal, it's maybe on par with what an 08' should cost.
BUT IT COMES WITH AN 'OVERHEAD' AIRBAG!!
__________________
try { Life.Live(); } catch (Experience exp) { Console.WriteLine(exp.ToString(); } finally { Brian.Dispose(); }
"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those that read binary, and those that don't."
NoM3ForMe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
SROC5
Addicted to Track
 
SROC5's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

Posts: 1,587
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3ForMe View Post
BUT IT COMES WITH AN 'OVERHEAD' AIRBAG!!
In that case, it's a steal
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
BMW Fanatic
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I disagree. I'm selling a car right now that had a minor fender bender that only damaged the rear bumper cover but it shows up on carfax because the asshole who hit us was an illegal without insurance so we needed a police report. The bumper cover was replaced for $300 by a professional body shop but now we're stuck with a carfax that says rear end accident. Just because it says accident doesn't always mean avoid it!
+1, always drive a car and get a feel for it. Make sure you know what your options are if something ever came up that you were 'lied' to about. I had my rear bumper replaced and then a couple weeks later I had to get it painted again cos some mug swiped the corner. Also had a blown engine 5 weeks in. What does this mean? I don't look after my car properly? Not at all.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
maem2501
Enlisted Member
 
maem2501's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Alpine White M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

As per autotrader pricing tool

Local Asking Prices
Average Price.............$43,496
View 5 similar cars for sale
Private Sellers............ $40,250
View 1 similar cars for sale
Dealers....................... $44,308
View 4 similar cars for sale
More Pricing Tools
Learn to price a used car to sell
Visit KBB.com Visit NADAguides.com
maem2501 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
eMthusiast001
Banned
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

I think I might pass on that one
eMthusiast001 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #21
DahudJF
Registered
 
Drives: 07' yamaha r1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: flint

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Question

how about this one????? im a 100% theres some kind of history to this car, just not sure what yet. anyways the car APPEARS to be new and also loaded with just the right options (comp. pack ) and a nice color combo. low price low miles...to good to be true ??

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
DahudJF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #22
fongpi
Jedi Poltergeist
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern California

Posts: 166
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahudJF View Post
how about this one????? im a 100% theres some kind of history to this car, just not sure what yet. anyways the car APPEARS to be new and also loaded with just the right options (comp. pack ) and a nice color combo. low price low miles...to good to be true ??

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
Wow the sedans don't really hold their value do they...
fongpi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST