BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

INDustry distribution

09-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
cssnms
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Exclamation 31 year old video clip and still relvant today...

Milton Friedman silences Donahue.

http://dauckster.posterous.com/a-31-...tely-worth-you
cssnms is offline   United_States
      09-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
How true this video is. It may be 31, but it is still true today
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
      09-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Hmmm, sounds strangely familiar...

330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      09-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Hmmm, sounds strangely familiar...
I take it that you are not human and do not have a greedy bone in your body about anything?
      09-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
I take it that you are not human and do not have a greedy bone in your body about anything?
I take it you think the glorification of greed is a fine and noble social political economic philosophy worthy of this great nation.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      09-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Quote:
I take it you think the glorification of greed is a fine and noble social political economic philosophy worthy of this great nation.
I don't believe that was my question. But like so many others, you answer a question with a question.

About greed, read your bible for the correct answer.
      09-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
48Laws
Captain

Drives: '11 M3

When we're on our death-bed the only thing we wish we had more of is time....
      09-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't believe that was my question. But like so many others, you answer a question with a question.
Was that a question? It sounded more like a sarcastic remark.

Quote:
About greed, read your bible for the correct answer.
Perhaps you should read your bible. You seem to think greed is good.
      09-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Was that a question? It sounded more like a sarcastic remark.

Perhaps you should read your bible. You seem to think greed is good.
Oh please, get off your soap box. We all drive BMW's...
      09-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
48Laws
Captain

Stupid. One could live a fruitful life without being greedy.
      09-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Stupid. One could live a fruitful life without being greedy.
I agree with you, "one could" and should. But we are human.
      09-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
48Laws
Captain

That's not an excuse. It comes down to our values.
      09-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Oh please, get off your soap box. We all drive BMW's...
I drive a 6 year old BMW, I'm middle class, I work hard, I pay my taxes, I donate to charity when I can. So what's your point?
      09-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Quote:
That's not an excuse. It comes down to our values.
According to your profile, you drive a 2011 M3. That is hardly a modest car, and in fact costs more than the median average income by a large margin. Ownership is such a car is well beyond the means of the vast majority of hard working, well meaning people in this country.

In fact, you could buy a E46 M3, or something like that, which is still a very fine car, higher quality, better performance, more crashworthy, etc than the average car, and take the difference and donate it to charity or something, and yet you choose not to. Nobody NEEDS an M car. I dont, but I have one because I choose to spend my money that way. I would never chastise someone else as being greedy considering what I drive, I might as well get the word hypocrite tattooed on my forehead.

Reminds me of Michael Moore, condescendingly slamming the wealthy business owners every chance he gets, while living in a multi-million dollar manhattan apartment that only the 1% would qualify to get a mortgage for. Or Al Gore, whose multiple large mansions consume a MUCH larger carbon footprint than the average family home by a huge margin. If Al wants to slap me on the wrist for raping the environment, then he bloody well better be living in a 500 sq ft apartment, and ride his bicycle everywhere.
      09-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?

Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
I drive a 6 year old BMW, I'm middle class, I work hard, I pay my taxes, I donate to charity when I can. So what's your point?
Without people being ambitious there would be no advancement. Greed just so happens to go hand in hand with ambition. It has its place in this world, whether you like it or not.
      09-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
MrRoboto
Colonel

Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
Without people being ambitious there would be no advancement. Greed just so happens to go hand in hand with ambition. It has its place in this world, whether you like it or not.
It certainly wasn't ambition that caused the housing crisis.

Last edited by MrRoboto; 09-24-2012 at 03:14 PM.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
      09-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
48Laws
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
According to your profile, you drive a 2011 M3. That is hardly a modest car, and in fact costs more than the median average income by a large margin. Ownership is such a car is well beyond the means of the vast majority of hard working, well meaning people in this country.
Which does little to determine if I'm a greedy person or not. I acquired this vehicle through honorable means and succeeded by the choices I've made. That's not greed.

Quote:
In fact, you could buy a E46 M3, or something like that, which is still a very fine car, higher quality, better performance, more crashworthy, etc than the average car, and take the difference and donate it to charity or something, and yet you choose not to. Nobody NEEDS an M car. I dont, but I have one because I choose to spend my money that way. I would never chastise someone else as being greedy considering what I drive, I might as well get the word hypocrite tattooed on my forehead.

What is your point because I don't recall ever calling someone greedy because of the brand of their car. Perhaps you equate nice things with greed or maybe you're playing devil's advocate to provoke a discussion out of me? A homeless person can show signs of greed by exploiting a local bakery that willingly gives him free bread every morning, but when they're not looking he shoplifts.

Quote:
Reminds me of Michael Moore, condescendingly slamming the wealthy business owners every chance he gets, while living in a multi-million dollar manhattan apartment that only the 1% would qualify to get a mortgage for. Or Al Gore, whose multiple large mansions consume a MUCH larger carbon footprint than the average family home by a huge margin. If Al wants to slap me on the wrist for raping the environment, then he bloody well better be living in a 500 sq ft apartment, and ride his bicycle everywhere.
But if you can show signs of Moore exploiting someone for his own personal financial gain, you'd have a case. He's telling a story about clear cases of greed. You cannot deny that. Just because the medium (film)Moore uses to tell his story also happens to earn millions itself doesn't mean he's greedy. You don't have to contribute to his wealth. You have a choice not to see his films. On the other hand, bankers or other financial shot-callers that dictate major things, not so much.
      09-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Which does little to determine if I'm a greedy person or not. I acquired this vehicle through honorable means and succeeded by the choices I've made. That's not greed.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/greed
"An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth".

Nobody NEEDS >400hp, or floating rotors in a car they drive on the street. The fact you have such a car, instead of a more modest 328 or something, does determine if you are a greedy person. Nothing wrong with wanting more than you need, but no point in pretending you are something you are not.

Quote:
But if you can show signs of Moore exploiting someone for his own personal financial gain, you'd have a case.
Seriously? I think you do not have to look far to find many examples of people who would argue that Moore's films are hardly fair, balanced objective documentaries. He is famous for his selective editing, taking snippets out of context, etc to put a definitive spin on his movies. Many who where ambushed and edited heavily have in fact accused him of exploitation of tragedies to further his own agenda (and fill his bank account).

There are a lot of true documentaries on PBS and the like, and if you watch them, you will probably not be able to determine what the makers political beliefs were, or if there was some ideological position they were trying to advance (beyond educating the viewer). Not many would argue that Michael Moore comes even close to falling into that category.
      09-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
48Laws
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedAl View Post
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/greed
"An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth".

Nobody NEEDS >400hp, or floating rotors in a car they drive on the street. The fact you have such a car, instead of a more modest 328 or something, does determine if you are a greedy person. Nothing wrong with wanting more than you need, but no point in pretending you are something you are not.
People who try desperately to make a weak argument strong always whip out online dictionaries. I guess that's your thing. So, you rely on public transportation or do you ride a fuel-efficient donkey to work, Mr. Modest? You don't know how foolish you sound right now. AND to think an equally expensive car like a 328 is what you think is modest is laughable. BMW isn't a a go-to brand for modesty but it also isn't necessarily an excessive brand either. But that's really irrelevant. The M3 doesn't fly. It meets all of the governmental regulations as far as fuel efficiency and is relatively common. Show me some signs of greed, buddy. But if I had the means to drive a Zonda, that wouldn't mean I'm greedy either. I don't think you understand the context of the word, 'Greed'.

Quote:
Seriously? I think you do not have to look far to find many examples of people who would argue that Moore's films are hardly fair, balanced objective documentaries. He is famous for his selective editing, taking snippets out of context, etc to put a definitive spin on his movies. Many who where ambushed and edited heavily have in fact accused him of exploitation of tragedies to further his own agenda (and fill his bank account).
We have a national crisis that is written in history if you have any doubt of whatever Moore is filming. Go verify it or challenge it. I'm not about to listen to your whining about Moore. Again, if you go and watch his films, you're contributing to his wealth which Is YOUR CHOICE. Him earning money because people want to see his films is not greed at all. A CEO getting a golden parachute and stock options worth tens of millions when his company is in the red, layoffs are imminent, and shareholders are hemorrhaging money IS GREED! Learn the difference before you go searching for ways to redeem yourself with yet another argument with me.

Quote:
There are a lot of true documentaries on PBS and the like, and if you watch them, you will probably not be able to determine what the makers political beliefs were, or if there was some ideological position they were trying to advance (beyond educating the viewer). Not many would argue that Michael Moore comes even close to falling into that category.
He's a private citizen. Who cares? He's far less dangerous than say Faux News where these morons are actually allowed to run a media juggernaut and confused stupid Americans even more.
      09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Quote:
So, you rely on public transportation or do you ride a fuel-efficient donkey to work, Mr. Modest? You don't know how foolish you sound right now.
How do you figure that I sound foolish, exactly? There is no inconsistency between my words and my deeds.

I never claimed to be modest myself, that's why I admitted to buying an M car just because I can. I dont take public transit, and if you think I burn a lot of fuel driving to work, I dont even want to tell you how much I consume during a track day. It would feed a Chevy Spark for a week.

I am, by my own definition, greedy, and I agree with the original premise of the video, that being greedy is not inherently bad in every sense of the word. I think you are greedy too. While I may fault you for your hypocrisy, I see nothing wrong with you being greedy.
      09-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
48Laws
Captain

-I never called you greedy.

-I never said you were NOT greedy.

- You replied to me without provocation and created an argument for the sake of argumentation.

-Owning a car of a certain brand does not define greed. Clearly you're off your meds because you're making very little sense AGAIN.
      09-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Quote:
-Owning a car of a certain brand does not define greed.
Nope, owning a certain brand does not define greed. Owning a model of car, of any brand, where the cost increase over dependable, safe transportation, is enough to provide a meal for over 100,000 starving children ($1 = 4 meals), that is greed.

https://www.wfp.org/donate/fillthecup

This material excess becomes even more egregious when one considers that the performance benefits conferred by this financial premium cannot really be legally enjoyed on any street in the country.

Yes, you are greedy. Like I said, nothing wrong with that. Sorry to "out" you buddy, welcome to the club. I'll save you a seat at the next annual meeting. Remember, if it wasn't for greed, a car like the M3 would probably not exist. Think about that the next time you take that S65 up to the redline.

Quote:
Clearly you're off your meds because you're making very little sense AGAIN.
Yeah, sorry about the meds, I was so consumed with inner torment that I forgot again. Prevents me from coming up with such intellectual gems such as the premise that commies hate unions.