BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #67
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Thanks for the continued info on the retrofit, aajami. I still wish we could gather more information on this:

Front: are the struts dimensionally identical, including the lower spring perch? Tom seemed to suggest that they are, but you seem to say that the lower perches are lower?

If they are dimensionally identical, then the lowering is completely due to the spring, most likely a shorter spring which results in less pre-compression = lower normal position. The springs could also be slightly stiffer but not by much; otherwise it would offset the the lowering effect of the shorter spring.

Rear: obviously it is a non-coil over, therefore all lowering is achieved by the spring. Question is: are the rear shocks dimensionally identical too? What about the bump stops and upper shock mount? Can you confirm?

Thanks
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #68
DCC
Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

Posts: 419
iTrader: (0)

After giving all of this some thought...it does appear to me that the OP retrofitted mechanical parts for the USDM ZCP components to his non ZCP car. But there is still that last bit of EDC programing that is part of the ZCP package that is left out...Now whether one can really tell the difference between the different EDC settings (non-ZCP vs ZCP) on street driving remains to be confirmed.
I wonder why BMW didn't offer the non-EDC ZCP set up in the US like the one that was offered in Japan, that would have given them more of a margin, unless the ZCP EDC is really that much better for the car.
DCC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #69
Ant Man
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Anglia

Posts: 1,036
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
After giving all of this some thought...it does appear to me that the OP retrofitted mechanical parts for the USDM ZCP components to his non ZCP car. But there is still that last bit of EDC programing that is part of the ZCP package that is left out...Now whether one can really tell the difference between the different EDC settings (non-ZCP vs ZCP) on street driving remains to be confirmed.
I wonder why BMW didn't offer the non-EDC ZCP set up in the US like the one that was offered in Japan, that would have given them more of a margin, unless the ZCP EDC is really that much better for the car.
There is a small article on BMW Mpower website re the ZCP / Competition EDC settings. I recall that standard EDC modes are fixed whereas for the Competition they are dynamic like in the Jaguar XFR model. I would assume therefore, that the difference would be noticeable on bumpy roads.
Ant Man is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #70
///m325i
New Member
 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

i would have bought aftermarket coils instead...just my opinion
///m325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #71
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,013
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
There is a small article on BMW Mpower website re the ZCP / Competition EDC settings. I recall that standard EDC modes are fixed whereas for the Competition they are dynamic like in the Jaguar XFR model. I would assume therefore, that the difference would be noticeable on bumpy roads.
I don't think that's what DCC is asking, Anthony. Firstly, only the Sport EDC setting is static on non-ZCP cars. Normal and Comfort are dynamic. On ZCP cars, however, the Sport EDC setting was changed so that it too was dynamic. Normal and Comfort remained unchanged.

As for why BMW didn't offer the non-EDC ZCP suspension outside of Japan, that's anyone's guess. Roads in Germany are as good as those in Japan, so concerns around the quality of the ride in other countries probably wasn't the only reason. Who knows...
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #72
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,775
iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
It didn't even run me $2K, let alone $3K.
oo

Curious what it really did run

Would one be able to use the ZCP Springs?

I may do Dinan... but honestly I don't want to drop much... but would like increased handling and a subtle drop
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #73
chmura
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orange County, California

Posts: 427
iTrader: (1)

Sweet pics!

Looks like you got lucky to find that parking stop at 85C in Irvine.
chmura is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #74
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,013
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Sweet pics!

Looks like you got lucky to find that parking stop at 85C in Irvine.
You know, I have this weird knack of always landing that spot. Here are a few more instances:



__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #75
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
 
KGB7's Avatar
 
Drives: 01 740i sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Siberian Prison

Posts: 824
iTrader: (0)

aajami

Thanks for the thread, you gave me most of the answers i was looking for.

Question. Are you going to upgrade your front and rear sway bars as well and which once are you going to get? If not, then why are you staying with stock sway bars?


Thanks again.
KGB7 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #76
aajami
Brigadier General
 
aajami's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

Posts: 4,013
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
aajami

Thanks for the thread, you gave me most of the answers i was looking for.

Question. Are you going to upgrade your front and rear sway bars as well and which once are you going to get? If not, then why are you staying with stock sway bars?


Thanks again.
I have no plans on upgrading the sway bars. I drive exclusively on the street, and my current stock setup is overkill for 90% of the driving that I do (don't ask about the other 10% ).
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #77
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
 
jonasaurus's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 3,141
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
oo

Curious what it really did run

Would one be able to use the ZCP Springs?

I may do Dinan... but honestly I don't want to drop much... but would like increased handling and a subtle drop
Have trawled through the whole sub-section of suspension|brakes|chassis and cant find the spring rates for ZCP springs.. I guess ultimately how much of a 'mis-match' they would be for EDC dampers (in the context of E90 ZCP springs say for an E90 using non-ZCP EDC dampers)
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build
jonasaurus is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #78
Small Yellow
Track Addict
 
Small Yellow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Orange County, California

Posts: 779
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
You know, I have this weird knack of always landing that spot. Here are a few more instances:



I saw you there that day... I remember checking out your M3
__________________
BMW ///M3 Coupe
Completed November 16, 2009
Received December 29,2009
BMW //M Coupe
November 4, 2013
Small Yellow is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #79
marconi118
Captain
 
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: europe

Posts: 955
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Not side-by-side, unfortunately (unless Tom @ EAS snapped some). The main difference that I noticed was the spring perches on the front struts were a bit lower on the assembly than the standard struts.
This is not true, the spring perch is at the same place. but the shaft is 12mm shorter on the ZCP front ones, for the rear the shaft is 6mm shorter
marconi118 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #80
spr
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

So is there a final part list and cost for the zcp edc springs and struts and shocks? You alluded that the cost was under 2k where did you buy them? I went on Ticher and it comes out as more. Please PM to discuss further if you don't want to post. Thanks! I want to add and do the coding with ZCP for EDC and ESP.
spr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #81
spr
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

So looks like springs are only 10mm less so less than 1/2". I am debating just flashing the edc with ZCP software as well as euro mdm and call it a day...
spr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #82
spr
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

Anyone have specs on difference of the actual zcp v. non zcp edc shocks and struts, e.g. physical outside differences or valving?
spr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #83
e92M3C
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 325
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
So looks like springs are only 10mm less so less than 1/2". I am debating just flashing the edc with ZCP software as well as euro mdm and call it a day...
I did the ZCP EDC flash and Euro MDM from Mike. I did not get to test the Euro MDM since there are threads covering that topic already.

For the ZCP EDC, right after flash the whole car feels firmer than before for all the settings. I think this might be done to offset the slightly lowered right height so that the car won't bounce too much and hit the bump stop too often (my theory). Even thought the whole suspension is stiffer, it is still compliant for small bumps, and now even the Sport EDC is smoother over small bumps unlike the non-ZCP EDC fixed value which is stiff all the time.

The ZCP EDC is different for E90 E92 and E93.

I actually got a full set of E90 ZCP suspension, thinking they might be same for E92 but since the part number and software is different, I think I am going to sell them and get the E92 set instead.

What I think, the ZCP EDC makes the non-ZCP EDC one stiffness grade higher for Comfort and Normal while adding compliance for Sport mode.
e92M3C is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #84
spr
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

Nice. However, did you also flash the other systems other than mdm? Or is that all it needs? I plan on doing the same today. Also how much stiff is comfort? Is everything really one button click up now? The streets around downtown san diego are aweful and I don't drive it on anything but comfort! Thanks.
spr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #85
e92M3C
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 325
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
Nice. However, did you also flash the other systems other than mdm? Or is that all it needs? I plan on doing the same today. Also how much stiff is comfort? Is everything really one button click up now? The streets around downtown san diego are aweful and I don't drive it on anything but comfort! Thanks.
The update took a few minutes so I don't think you need to update any other systems. MDM and ZCP-EDC is standalone updates.

I would say after the ZCP-EDC update, new comfort becomes the old normal, new normal becomes the old sport, and the new sport is slightly stiffer than the old sport with better road compliance.

If road condition is bad, you're going to get a bit more harsh ride for sure. Afterall, ZCP stands for Z Competition Package, not putting comfort as a requirement.
e92M3C is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #86
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,642
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92M3C View Post
The update took a few minutes so I don't think you need to update any other systems. MDM and ZCP-EDC is standalone updates.

I would say after the ZCP-EDC update, new comfort becomes the old normal, new normal becomes the old sport, and the new sport is slightly stiffer than the old sport with better road compliance.

If road condition is bad, you're going to get a bit more harsh ride for sure. Afterall, ZCP stands for Z Competition Package, not putting comfort as a requirement.


I've been running mine with the Comp pack settings for awhile and it feels great. A bit more sporty however.

Nice seeing you again, hope you enjoy the new features.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #87
e92M3C
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 325
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post


I've been running mine with the Comp pack settings for awhile and it feels great. A bit more sporty however.

Nice seeing you again, hope you enjoy the new features.


Thanks Mike to make the ZCP EDC update possible!

By the way, I was testing the mirror folding feature and I found out that if I (with Convenience Package) touch the door handle to lock for 2 seconds (like holding keyfob) the car would first lock and then the mirrors will fold! I don't have to even take out the key!
e92M3C is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 03:22 AM   #88
marconi118
Captain
 
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: europe

Posts: 955
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92M3C View Post
I did the ZCP EDC flash and Euro MDM from Mike. I did not get to test the Euro MDM since there are threads covering that topic already.

For the ZCP EDC, right after flash the whole car feels firmer than before for all the settings. I think this might be done to offset the slightly lowered right height so that the car won't bounce too much and hit the bump stop too often (my theory). Even thought the whole suspension is stiffer, it is still compliant for small bumps, and now even the Sport EDC is smoother over small bumps unlike the non-ZCP EDC fixed value which is stiff all the time.

The ZCP EDC is different for E90 E92 and E93.

I actually got a full set of E90 ZCP suspension, thinking they might be same for E92 but since the part number and software is different, I think I am going to sell them and get the E92 set instead.

What I think, the ZCP EDC makes the non-ZCP EDC one stiffness grade higher for Comfort and Normal while adding compliance for Sport mode.

Had the chance to test (by hand) the E90 E92 E93 EDC non ZCP shocks (front and rear) without any wire connected (i suppose the stiffest setting) .
From softer to stiffer: E92 E90 E93

Plus the E93 front strut piston is 10mm shorter as the E92 and E90. it has the same length as the ZCP non EDC E92 (1M) strut

No chance to get a ZCP E90 or E92 strut in my hands
marconi118 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST