BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
E92-lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,709
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.79]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Great results with Endless Pads

So I've been tracking my car with the OEM brembo Ferodos for awhile. Went through a set of front pads in about 4-5 track days. Pads are expensive for these brakes so I decided to get a set of track pads hoping they'd last a bit longer. I went with Endless pads and I was quite surprised with the results. Incredible stopping power (at least compared to the stock Ferodos) and after a 3 day event at Laguna Seca, they still look practically new:



I was pretty hard on the brakes all weekend and I had braking confidence session after session. Unfortunately I can't say the same about my rotors:



My rotors have gone through about 12 track days this year so it's expected, but they still have some life in them.

Really happy with these pads so far. They seem to stop really well when cold too, but I won't use them on the street because they make a lot of noise. With all the pad swapping I almost regret not going with Stoptechs.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Your rotors don't look bad at all. Those heat cracks are normal with track use. Just need to make sure they don't make it to either edge of the rotor. As your rotor gets worn you will get more cracks. You will likely have to replace the rotor long before it reaches its minimum thickness.

Odd request, can you take a pic of that piston/pad spreader tool in the background? Where did you get that? I'm looking for something smaller than the massive girodisc spreader.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,709
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.79]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Your rotors don't look bad at all. Those heat cracks are normal with track use. Just need to make sure they don't make it to either edge of the rotor. As your rotor gets worn you will get more cracks. You will likely have to replace the rotor long before it reaches its minimum thickness.

Odd request, can you take a pic of that piston/pad spreader tool in the background? Where did you get that? I'm looking for something smaller than the massive girodisc spreader.
I got this from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

Not sure how long it will last but it works great so far and much cheaper than the girodisc one.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
checkmate
Major
 
checkmate's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

Posts: 1,281
iTrader: (2)

Nice. Which Endless pads did you get?
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips


checkmate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I got this from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links

Not sure how long it will last but it works great so far and much cheaper than the girodisc one.
Thanks!
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
FrenchBoy
onehotlap.com contributor
 
FrenchBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,367
iTrader: (0)

Nice to hear. I am planning to get different pads next year. The StopTech Street Performance pads, though very cheap, don't last long and I could use more bite. The consensus among my track buddies seems to be on Pagid RS29 and RS19. But Endless appears like a nice choice. Not sure how they compare in price for the StopTech kit.

BTW, I have the Girodisc (made in WA!). It is pricey and bulky. Looks like it will last me a lifetime though. Stuuuuurrrdy!
__________________

2009 E90 M3 | SG | FR | 6Speed | Akrapovic Evo | JRZ RS1 | StopTech Trophy | Cantrell Brake Ducts
FrenchBoy is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
So I've been tracking my car with the OEM brembo Ferodos for awhile. Went through a set of front pads in about 4-5 track days. Pads are expensive for these brakes so I decided to get a set of track pads hoping they'd last a bit longer. I went with Endless pads and I was quite surprised with the results. Incredible stopping power (at least compared to the stock Ferodos) and after a 3 day event at Laguna Seca, they still look practically new:



I was pretty hard on the brakes all weekend and I had braking confidence session after session. Unfortunately I can't say the same about my rotors:



My rotors have gone through about 12 track days this year so it's expected, but they still have some life in them.

Really happy with these pads so far. They seem to stop really well when cold too, but I won't use them on the street because they make a lot of noise. With all the pad swapping I almost regret not going with Stoptechs.
I've thought about the endless, was just too much $$$ something like $2k just for the fronts as they needed another set just to make the template for my BBK. I get about 4-6 track events on either the carbotechs or pagids so not sure you'll get a huge amount of difference in the endless. Wear appears to be more of a curve than a line so it really speeds (pun intended) things up when you get past 1/2 worn in my experience. Rotors last quite a bit, had about 24 days on mine last year before I replaced them and probably could have gone for more. Spider cracks on rotors are like the rubber marks on the front of the car, comes with the territory, and not a real concern unless their drilled or approaching the edges. Good luck and happy tracking
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
I've thought about the endless, was just too much $$$ something like $2k just for the fronts as they needed another set just to make the template for my BBK. I get about 4-6 track events on either the carbotechs or pagids so not sure you'll get a huge amount of difference in the endless. Wear appears to be more of a curve than a line so it really speeds (pun intended) things up when you get past 1/2 worn in my experience. Rotors last quite a bit, had about 24 days on mine last year before I replaced them and probably could have gone for more. Spider cracks on rotors are like the rubber marks on the front of the car, comes with the territory, and not a real concern unless their drilled or approaching the edges. Good luck and happy tracking
Do you use titanium backing plates? They do help the pad last longer as they get worn down. It also saves your brake fluid and keeps your calipers looking nice.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,213
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Your rotors don't look bad at all. Those heat cracks are normal with track use. Just need to make sure they don't make it to either edge of the rotor. As your rotor gets worn you will get more cracks. You will likely have to replace the rotor long before it reaches its minimum thickness.

Odd request, can you take a pic of that piston/pad spreader tool in the background? Where did you get that? I'm looking for something smaller than the massive girodisc spreader.
Agree, those rotors don't look bad at all yet. I may try endless after ST pads if they really last that long. I'm pleased with ST pads on ST60 for the price.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Do you use titanium backing plates? They do help the pad last longer as they get worn down. It also saves your brake fluid and keeps your calipers looking nice.
I have not tried that, thanks for the tip
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
checkmate
Major
 
checkmate's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

Posts: 1,281
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Do you use titanium backing plates? They do help the pad last longer as they get worn down. It also saves your brake fluid and keeps your calipers looking nice.
Where can I get these plates?
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips


checkmate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
www.zeckhausen.com. Click on Stoptech. I just run them on my front calipers.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
wwjd15
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (6)

Endless is also my top choice. BTW, which compound did you choose? Endless has about 20 kinds of different compounds for different purpose use. I always mix-match them to get what customers want for braking.
For the set up you have, there's some compounds you can DD and track altogether.
wwjd15 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST