BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #23
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
54
Rep
1,874
Posts

 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (16)

Not really that pumped about the S4, since Sammy screwed us by giving is a dual core phone while the rest of the world got a quad core. And a 5" screen? That's the size of the old Dell Streak. A little too large for me.

I'm MUCH more interested in the long-awaited (finally revealed today) LG Optimus G that should be here around November, provided they a) give us the quad core, which they should as they want to capture market share in the US and b) live up to the rest of the specs (limited multitasking!....here's hoping for the 13MP camera).

Don't understand why it's launching w/ICS instead of Jellybean....

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/09/lg-optimus-g-launches/
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
ragingclue
One cam is enough
ragingclue's Avatar
87
Rep
6,815
Posts

 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I'm MUCH more interested in the long-awaited (finally revealed today) LG Optimus G that should be here around November, provided they a) give us the quad core, which they should as they want to capture market share in the US and b) live up to the rest of the specs (here's hoping for the 13MP camera).
Has LG gotten better about their quality and support for devices? A couple years ago was the last time I had an LG phone and they were lagging something fierce in both categories (and that's saying something when you're comparing them to Samsung in the first place).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #25
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
UltimateBMW's Avatar
105
Rep
3,287
Posts

 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Not really that pumped about the S4, since Sammy screwed us by giving is a dual core phone while the rest of the world got a quad core.
Pretty sure the Galaxy S 3 is quad core. At least the international version is a Quad-core Exynos. Pretty much the cream of the crop right now in the mobile space.

Let's also not forget that Samsung manufacturers all of Apple's A5/A6 chips they use in the iPhones. On the GS4 stuff, I can think of at least one other major mobile company that releases a new version of their (i)phone per year.

Anyways, the time tables for Galaxy S phones in the last 2 years is fairly consistent. GS2 released in March internationally then brought to the US in October 2011. GS3 released internationally in June, US came 2 weeks later. If anything the GS3 was late, and the GS4 is Samsung getting back on track. Samsung also seems to be consolidating their product launches more each iteration, their problem is that they host to a much more global market and only recently started focusing on the US so much.

I will agree though that 3rd party support for Android is definitely not as good. Primarily because of the diversity of phone dimensions and port locations. Android needs to get out of the shroud of the subsidized phone to really compete with all of the benefits that iPhones enjoy in the market. Or they at least need to start preventing the individual carriers from bastardizing each version of the phone so much. The GS3 was definitely a step in the right direction in this.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #26
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
54
Rep
1,874
Posts

 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Not really that pumped about the S4, since Sammy screwed us by giving is a dual core phone while the rest of the world got a quad core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Pretty sure the Galaxy S 3 is quad core. At least the international version is a Quad-core Exynos. Pretty much the cream of the crop right now in the mobile space.
From Sprint's site:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
Turb0Surge's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,518
Posts

 
Drives: BLACK e90 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lincoln, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
LMFAO Another Samsung phone. Lets hope its not another iPhone clone.
No I think the iphone has about an inch to go before it can compare to the size of an s3... Plus doesn't the iphone use some of samsung's parts?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #28
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
Turb0Surge's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,518
Posts

 
Drives: BLACK e90 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lincoln, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
From Sprint's site:
Not sure who's wrong but I thought it was a quad core. At least this says so:


Link:http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i930...s_iii-4238.php
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
54
Rep
1,874
Posts

 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post
Not sure who's wrong but I thought it was a quad core. At least this says so:


Link:http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i930...s_iii-4238.php

Samsung announces dual-core Galaxy S3 for five US carriers starting this month


As I said, Int'l phones are quad core. Stateside, they're dual core.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
ROB_S2K
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
34
Rep
1,774
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post
No I think the iphone has about an inch to go before it can compare to the size of an s3... Plus doesn't the iphone use some of samsung's parts?
Ya but they don't copy Samsungs designs. There is a big difference there. They just buy stuff from them LEGALLY.

I have an iPad if I want a bigger screen.

APPLE V. SAMSUNG

__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT-8

(2012 | Laguna Seca Blue | Rust Brown | Individual | 6MT) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #31
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
Turb0Surge's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,518
Posts

 
Drives: BLACK e90 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lincoln, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
Ya but they don't copy Samsungs designs. There is a big difference there. They just buy stuff from them LEGALLY.

I have an iPad if I want a bigger screen.

APPLE V. SAMSUNG


You do realize this same case was tried in asia and europe and Apple lost. right?
__________________

Last edited by Turb0Surge; 09-19-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #32
ROB_S2K
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
34
Rep
1,774
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post
You do realise this same case was tried in asia and europe and Apple lost. right?
Sources?
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT-8

(2012 | Laguna Seca Blue | Rust Brown | Individual | 6MT) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #33
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
54
Rep
1,874
Posts

 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
Sources?
http://asia.cnet.com/apple-loses-sam...n-62218532.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/st...uit/57260602/1 (kinda figured *that* verdict *lol*)


BUT....looks like this is still ongoing in Europe....

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/09/g...regulator.html
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #34
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
Turb0Surge's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,518
Posts

 
Drives: BLACK e90 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lincoln, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Thanks.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #35
ROB_S2K
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
34
Rep
1,774
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

LOL surprise surprise a "Korean Court" ruled that Samsung didn't copy Apple.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT-8

(2012 | Laguna Seca Blue | Rust Brown | Individual | 6MT) SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #36
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
Turb0Surge's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,518
Posts

 
Drives: BLACK e90 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lincoln, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
LOL surprise surprise a "Korean Court" ruled that Samsung didn't copy Apple.
Don't be.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #37
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
32
Rep
2,161
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
For those of you who have the SG3, how do you feel about its size when carrying it with you in your front pocket? Does it feel overly large, or is it not an issue? I've read that the SG4 will have a 5 inch screen which seems massive for a phone. The reason I ask is that I currently have a Samsung Captivate which I feel has a great form factor making it easy to carry around, while still having a decent screen size. I've had it for two years so I could upgrade to an SG3 now, or hold out until the SG4 is out. Decisions, decisions...
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #38
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
Turb0Surge's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,518
Posts

 
Drives: BLACK e90 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lincoln, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
For those of you who have the SG3, how do you feel about its size when carrying it with you in your front pocket? Does it feel overly large, or is it not an issue? I've read that the SG4 will have a 5 inch screen which seems massive for a phone. The reason I ask is that I currently have a Samsung Captivate which I feel has a great form factor making it easy to carry around, while still having a decent screen size. I've had it for two years so I could upgrade to an SG3 now, or hold out until the SG4 is out. Decisions, decisions...
You know, initially i thought it was a bit big. But after about a day of heavy usage I was used to it. I can do everything I need to with one hand. Now, whenever I hold a smaller phone in my hand it feels puny.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #39
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
32
Rep
2,161
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post
You know, initially i thought it was a bit big. But after about a day of heavy usage I was used to it. I can do everything I need to with one hand. Now, whenever I hold a smaller phone in my hand it feels puny.
Cool, thanks for the feedback.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
54
Rep
1,874
Posts

 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Has LG gotten better about their quality and support for devices? A couple years ago was the last time I had an LG phone and they were lagging something fierce in both categories (and that's saying something when you're comparing them to Samsung in the first place).
I'll just leave this here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=jBMjoZkAg78#!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #41
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
radix's Avatar
No_Country
56
Rep
896
Posts

 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baremeg55 View Post
@ragingclue

LOL. No, you go away!

Talking about going off topic, you had to go do all of that copy and paste to TRY and put me in my place. But, I guess you have special privileges, right? You failed!!!

I will agree to disagree with you. On all points...... Let's leave it at that. Please.

Haha, you got owned.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #42
stylinexpat
Captain
stylinexpat's Avatar
37
Rep
814
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
From Sprint's site:

Different processors for different markets. In Hong Kong they get a Quad Core processor

http://www.samsung.com/hk/galaxys3lt...s3lte_20120928
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #43
sanf
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
261
Posts

 
Drives: F10 535XI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (1)

prob. gonna be a mini note 2
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #44
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
Hawkeye's Avatar
No_Country
44
Rep
3,594
Posts

 
Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Wow - the people that own these phones are almost as bad as the companies themselves. It is a damn phone. Use the one that you like the best and works the best for you. Who cares who anyone else uses.

I think they need to just stop the childish patent crap on both sides. Samsung has 40% LTE patents, Apple has a better design... just share a bit more, get better technology out and profit more.

I do understand there would not be as much spent on R&D if there were no patents but they need to put some limits on everything.

The latest company with a patent pertaining to Passbook on iOS6 is suing for FIVE TIMES damages. How is that even legal? They have also sued Ticketmaster, American Airlines, Hilton, etc... Seems like total Carp to me.
__________________
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe 6 MT Black Saphire Metallic PP SP Heated M Seats Clutch Stop Stubby
2008 R6 Raven Black GPR Steering Stabilizer Comp Werks FE Hotbodies Flush Mount Blinkers
2008 Nissan Titan XE King Cab Long Bed 4x4 Line-X
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST