BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
JoeyO
Lieutenant
 
Drives: silver car
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 547
iTrader: (0)

Can we have some Chicago teachers chime in...

..and explain why they feel it necessary to hold their children's education hostage and use it for their own personal gain?
JoeyO is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
passing
hey
 
passing's Avatar
 
Drives: caprice wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cruisin down the street in my '64

Posts: 404
iTrader: (4)

i dont think you will find any chicago teachers on this forum.
passing is offline   Tanzania
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
48Laws
Captain
 
Drives: '11 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East Coast

Posts: 607
iTrader: (0)

They'll make the lost days up at the end of the year once the strike exceeds a set number of days. Stop being so dramatic. lol

Last edited by 48Laws; 09-18-2012 at 03:09 PM.
48Laws is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

You have kids in CPS or something?

Do you have a beef with any of the specific demands they're making?
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
bga23
Dirty old man
 
Drives: 2011.99 e90 Alpine White
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yeah, but it is a dry heat

Posts: 473
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
You have kids in CPS or something?
I'm sorry if you do.
__________________
2012 Ford Raptor
2011 AW e90 - For sale
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016269
bga23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bga23 View Post
I'm sorry if you do.
+65,000

I wouldn't put my kids through that system.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
smyles
Private First Class
 
Drives: X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DC

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
+65,000

I wouldn't put my kids through that system.
Is it THAT bad? Just curious.
smyles is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Is it THAT bad? Just curious.
I guess it depends, but the system is broke as fuck. Also the kids are broke as fuck because the parents overtly don't give a shit. They have a high attrition rate (near half) and something like <10% will have a bachelor's by 25 and <40% of those who attend college after graduation will earn their degree within six years even though the national average is like 60-70%.

So yeah even if they give in to the teachers' demands, the riff raff contingent in the system is really freaking high. We can give the teachers everything they ask for, but until the urban subculture around here starts convincing parents to be parents, the system won't be fixed. And good luck ever getting that to happen.

Last edited by ragingclue; 09-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
but until the urban subculture around here starts convincing parents to be parents, the system won't be fixed. And good luck ever getting that to happen.
+65,001
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
Maestro
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 880
iTrader: (0)

I will state that Teach are worth what they get paid and many are not getting paid enough to deal with all the crap that goes on in schools these day.

However, unions have no value in the educational system, Teacher are all highly educated and went to a four plus years of school like most everyone today and do not need someone negotiating on their behalf. The good teacher get less than they deserve so the lesser teacher can keep their jobs. If I was a good teacher I would demand not to be in the union and negotiate my own Pay and such so I can get more for doing a better job. But teacher are required to join the union they have no choose so they all get the lowest common benefit.

At one time Teacher got way less than most people and now they have better benefit than most everyone else. This is where the issue lies, we all see them getting great benefits, our taxes going up and our kid get less of an education because the majority of the bad ones are being protected by a union contract. In the end the kids are not getting the best since we protect the worse educators.

If the student in the US out performed the rest of the world and we all were making lots of money because of it, no one would be complaining about giving the better teacher more money.

As person who grew in a Union Family I will tell you the people who run the union only care about pay increase for everyone since their salary is paid by union dues which is usually a % of your pay. So a pay cut to the teachers is a pay cut to the union leaders. I never understood why my parents paid % of their income to people who could careless about them personally.
Maestro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
TeRRoRiFiC35
Private First Class
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

These teacher's main concern was the way tenure was going to be enacted.... Like most states, Illinois wants to do away with the current tenure system that allows BAD teachers to keep their jobs. They of course don't want this just like the teacher's union in NJ didn't with their spending of millions of dollars toward billboards and commercials fighting it.

If you are a teacher and want to make money, guess what, you chose the wrong profession. Want more money? Get a job at a private school.
TeRRoRiFiC35 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
smyles
Private First Class
 
Drives: X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: DC

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Aren't teachers in private schools paid less, in general?
smyles is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
bimmerfrk
Private First Class
 
bimmerfrk's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 4dr
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC & some PA

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I will state that Teach are worth what they get paid and many are not getting paid enough to deal with all the crap that goes on in schools these day.

However, unions have no value in the educational system, Teacher are all highly educated and went to a four plus years of school like most everyone today and do not need someone negotiating on their behalf. The good teacher get less than they deserve so the lesser teacher can keep their jobs. If I was a good teacher I would demand not to be in the union and negotiate my own Pay and such so I can get more for doing a better job. But teacher are required to join the union they have no choose so they all get the lowest common benefit.

At one time Teacher got way less than most people and now they have better benefit than most everyone else. This is where the issue lies, we all see them getting great benefits, our taxes going up and our kid get less of an education because the majority of the bad ones are being protected by a union contract. In the end the kids are not getting the best since we protect the worse educators.

If the student in the US out performed the rest of the world and we all were making lots of money because of it, no one would be complaining about giving the better teacher more money.

As person who grew in a Union Family I will tell you the people who run the union only care about pay increase for everyone since their salary is paid by union dues which is usually a % of your pay. So a pay cut to the teachers is a pay cut to the union leaders. I never understood why my parents paid % of their income to people who could careless about them personally.

I thin that im willing to say that if the teachers take the same standardized test the kids are taking, we will not see much of a performance difference between the two groups. I guess what im saying is that teachers are dumb as shit and dont know the principals they teach. I bet if we tested them over half the teaching populace would fail or come close to it.

You cant teach kids if you don't know what your teaching.

That's my theory on why this country has a poop educational system.
bimmerfrk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
 
upstatedoc's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,508
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
<40% will ever get a bachelor's even though the national average is like 60-70%.
Wat! It's a lot less than that.
__________________
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Countermeasure enthusiast.
upstatedoc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Wat! It's a lot less than that.
Left out caveats that totally change what I was trying to say. Sorry about that. Will edit. That's what I get for trying to work while enjoying the Internet.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
Foodle
Captain
 
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 769
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35 View Post
Want more money? Get a job at a private school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Aren't teachers in private schools paid less, in general?
Private school teachers are generally paid less, but they have a lot better environment. Fewer kids. Better resources (e.g., they don't have to pay for their own supplies). Often, less BS from the school administration. So, they might end up with more actual take home pay (and lower therapist bills).

Last edited by Foodle; 09-19-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Foodle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
JoeyO
Lieutenant
 
Drives: silver car
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 547
iTrader: (0)

Yea, gotta love unions. Imagine if all doctors in a hospital one day walked out the door and said they're not working this week?

Plus, the whole poor teacher thing is a thing of the past. I heard the average Chicago teacher earns $76k per year. Average per capita in Illinois and the nation is mid-40k's. That doesn't include the fact that many teachers continue to receive a decent pension paycheck and other perks when they quit working. Maybe I'm too practical, but the whole idea of paying somebody for zero amount of work in return is a concept I have a hard time grasping. Just ask GM where the practice has gotten them.
JoeyO is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
txz4
Major
 
txz4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas

Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
Yea, gotta love unions. Imagine if all doctors in a hospital one day walked out the door and said they're not working this week?

Plus, the whole poor teacher thing is a thing of the past. I heard the average Chicago teacher earns $76k per year. Average per capita in Illinois and the nation is mid-40k's. That doesn't include the fact that many teachers continue to receive a decent pension paycheck and other perks when they quit working. Maybe I'm too practical, but the whole idea of paying somebody for zero amount of work in return is a concept I have a hard time grasping. Just ask GM where the practice has gotten them.
It got GM a bailout.

Maybe 76k as in benefits and salary factored in, i had heard higher when you account for both.

I hate to say it, but generally the teaching majors i meet are morons. I know several people who couldn't pass the teaching certification tests, best part is that i have a friend working on becoming a doctor take the certification test for fun and passed easily.

Fact is, talent goes where the money goes. If their was more money, these morons would be out of a job anyhow as more qualified people take over.
txz4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Fact is, talent goes where the money goes. If their was more money, these morons would be out of a job anyhow as more qualified people take over.
I agree, but you couldn't pay me enough to be a CPS teacher. The environment itself sucks, even if the pay is good. I wouldn't mind them getting more $ or better benefits, but the system itself needs fixing too. You can't catch flies with vinegar, and CPS is that rancid puddle of vinegar in the corner of that house in Detroit which was abandoned decades ago, which no squatters even bother to inhabit because of how nasty it is....
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
Joekerr
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
It got GM a bailout.

Maybe 76k as in benefits and salary factored in, i had heard higher when you account for both.

I hate to say it, but generally the teaching majors i meet are morons. I know several people who couldn't pass the teaching certification tests, best part is that i have a friend working on becoming a doctor take the certification test for fun and passed easily.

Fact is, talent goes where the money goes. If their was more money, these morons would be out of a job anyhow as more qualified people take over.
Generally I'd agree with the bolded part, but I actually think teachers (and generally government workers) might be an exception. They're unionized, so are not easily removed once inside. So you could have outside talent looking to get in, but you need to get the deadwood out...how do you do that when they are so well protected?

Regards,
Joekerr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
txz4
Major
 
txz4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas

Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Generally I'd agree with the bolded part, but I actually think teachers (and generally government workers) might be an exception. They're unionized, so are not easily removed once inside. So you could have outside talent looking to get in, but you need to get the deadwood out...how do you do that when they are so well protected?

Regards,
True, the invisible hand is all too invisible once unions are involved. As said a few posts up, the parents are really the problem here, i just don't see the system improving. Perhaps a GOOD teacher can make an impression, but at this point i feel like the area might just be too far gone.
txz4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST