BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
tbone28's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,094
Posts

 
Drives: ^^^^^
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (13)

Cornering Bulb Options - only GP Thunder?

What are you guys using? Are GP Thunder's any good/reliable? Have never heard of them. What are my other options?

I'll be doing OSS headlights so hoping to color match as closely as possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
What are you guys using? Are GP Thunder's any good/reliable? Have never heard of them. What are my other options?

I'll be doing OSS headlights so hoping to color match as closely as possible.
Do you mean turn signals?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,625
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
What are you guys using? Are GP Thunder's any good/reliable? Have never heard of them. What are my other options?

I'll be doing OSS headlights so hoping to color match as closely as possible.
If by cornering lamp, you are referring to the inner bulb, yes. It's a common oversight by most that have upgraded their AEs:


Cornering Bulb Comparison: AiB 6000K Angel Eye kit with GP Thunder H3 7500K Cornering Bulb (left) and OEM Cornering Bulb (right)

Feel free to contact me directly if you should have any further questions.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
tbone28's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,094
Posts

 
Drives: ^^^^^
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Do you mean turn signals?
No, the inner bulb like Tom mentioned below. I'm having OSS redo the turn signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
If by cornering lamp, you are referring to the inner bulb, yes. It's a common oversight by most that have upgraded their AEs:


Cornering Bulb Comparison: AiB 6000K Angel Eye kit with GP Thunder H3 7500K Cornering Bulb (left) and OEM Cornering Bulb (right)

Feel free to contact me directly if you should have any further questions.
Are there any other options besides GP Thunder? And color temps?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
No, the inner bulb like Tom mentioned below. I'm having OSS redo the turn signals.



Are there any other options besides GP Thunder? And color temps?
Any reason why you don't want to use the GP ones? They seem to work fine.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,625
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
Are there any other options besides GP Thunder? And color temps?
I'm sure there are, but we have had zero issues with the GP bulbs - so never needed to look elsewhere.

Inner bulbs are H3 and available in 7500 & 8500 temps, and in stock. We'll even install them at no extra charge for locals.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
tbone28
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
tbone28's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
2,094
Posts

 
Drives: ^^^^^
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Any reason why you don't want to use the GP ones? They seem to work fine.
Not really any reason. I just haven't heard of them before so trying to see what my options are, but good to know they work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I'm sure there are, but we have had zero issues with the GP bulbs - so never needed to look elsewhere.

Inner bulbs are H3 and available in 7500 & 8500 temps, and in stock. We'll even install them at no extra charge for locals.
What color temp do you recommend for OSS AE's?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,625
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone28 View Post
What color temp do you recommend for OSS AE's?
7500K is perfect. Contact me directly and I'll get you set up with a set.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Are these GP cornering bulbs any brighter than OEM? I'm not so concerned about color, more so on maximizing light output (lumans).
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Interlagos-Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Sweden
0
Rep
41
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 Interlagos MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Stockholm

iTrader: (0)

I have GP Thunder 7500 h3, works great

Good light output, zero problems. Lasted over a year.

And most inportant: looks good :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
Are these GP cornering bulbs any brighter than OEM? I'm not so concerned about color, more so on maximizing light output (lumans).
Not enough to make a difference IMO. Most just change for the better color match.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
1,823
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
I'm curious as to why you want to make them brighter? They aren't on very much. They only come on in certain circumstances.

Either way, I don't think there are any options out there to make the cornering bulbs brighter. I think, as TECH said, you can only really look to change the color for a better match.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,625
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I'm curious as to why you want to make them brighter? They aren't on very much. They only come on in certain circumstances.

Either way, I don't think there are any options out there to make the cornering bulbs brighter. I think, as TECH said, you can only really look to change the color for a better match.
There was a thread that showed a set of cornering lenses being used as high beams recently that mysteriously disappeared. Lenses were melted.

Changing color is fine, but don't play with increased wattage levels on this lamp.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
25
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

We coded mine to turn on these bulbs with high beams and flash to pass.... adds some nice light on dark rainy nights on curvy backroads I travel often. We didn't mess adding wattage so I assume I should be fine and not have to deal with any melting issues Tom mentions above.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll just keep it OEM for now.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST