BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #89
escobar929
Brigadier General
 
escobar929's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL

Posts: 4,261
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Am I the only one disappointed with the new connectors?

I have technically 20 USB connectors laying around and now I have to buy new cables or a stupid adaptor that cost $30 each? Now people have to carry 2 cables, one for iPad and one for iPhone.

Also, why the hell did apple change the sim card again?! They already changed it to a micro sim card making a pain in the ass to use another phone. Now it is a even tinier sim card. WTF.

What a huge disappointment. I am planning to just buy the 5 to resell and get the SG3
this x10000

all because their patent is up and they cant collect royalties from 3rd party manufactures, so by coming out w/ a new connector, they can keep the checks rolling

i too have tons of 30 pin cables, to the point i dont ever have to carry one. In my bedroom alone, there are four 30 pin cables. This really sucks, specially for the car, I gotta buy a $30 fucking adaptor so I can use my phone w/ the BMW y-cable

the two things that pissed me off the most about it is, no usb 3.0, so eventually they will have to replace the current cable and we'll have to buy new ones. and the adaptor is way over priced, even for apple. Hopefully the good people of monoprice or similar places, come out w/ a good cheap adaptor
escobar929 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #90
escobar929
Brigadier General
 
escobar929's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL

Posts: 4,261
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
just saw this, made me lol

escobar929 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #91
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

Posts: 61,049
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
And its X5...
__________________
E90SLAM is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #92
danniexi
Colonel
 
danniexi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 335xi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 2,055
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Am I the only one disappointed with the new connectors?

I have technically 20 USB connectors laying around and now I have to buy new cables or a stupid adaptor that cost $30 each? Now people have to carry 2 cables, one for iPad and one for iPhone.

Also, why the hell did apple change the sim card again?! They already changed it to a micro sim card making a pain in the ass to use another phone. Now it is a even tinier sim card. WTF.

What a huge disappointment. I am planning to just buy the 5 to resell and get the SG3
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
this x10000

all because their patent is up and they cant collect royalties from 3rd party manufactures, so by coming out w/ a new connector, they can keep the checks rolling

i too have tons of 30 pin cables, to the point i dont ever have to carry one. In my bedroom alone, there are four 30 pin cables. This really sucks, specially for the car, I gotta buy a $30 fucking adaptor so I can use my phone w/ the BMW y-cable

the two things that pissed me off the most about it is, no usb 3.0, so eventually they will have to replace the current cable and we'll have to buy new ones. and the adaptor is way over priced, even for apple. Hopefully the good people of monoprice or similar places, come out w/ a good cheap adaptor
there's a reason for the connector and sim card... size.

The 30 pin connector is OLD, and with its redundancies they needed to go smaller and thinner for the new form factor (including the new iPod Touch/Nano). With the limited amount of space in the iPhone 5 they probably had no choice but to ditch the legacy connector.

The same goes for the nano sim. Apple is going out of their way to make each and every single component smaller, thinner, yet faster and more efficient in its function to accommodate one thing... battery. Everyone knows that LTE is power hungry, so Apple did everything they could to make the battery bigger. Hell, this was probably another reason why the made the screen 4" in the first place; to make a larger phone and insert in a larger battery.

As for USB 3.0? Yeah, I agree that's sort of annoying. That actually would've been useful (much faster data transfers, much better power availability for charging). AND it's backwards compatible. Maybe the didn't have the proper components to include that in the phone connector? Who knows. Maybe they're saving it for the iPhone 5S for next year's release. (I wouldn't be surprised)

IMO, the whole cable thing is a little bit of an annoyance, but at the same time, I can see why Apple made this decision. The fact that 'Lightning' is more durable (we'll see) and that it is a reversible plug in (definitely a welcome feature) is surely a plus, and with improving technologies, we'll be using physical connections less and less. With wi-fi and bluetooth 4.0, a lot of the past functions of the 30-pin connector are useless. In the mean time, yes, the adapter is a kick in the balls (I'm definitely waiting on monoprice) but I'm not gonna cry over it. I'm sure I can wait a month or two before third-party accessories adapt to the new change.
danniexi is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #93
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
 
E90SLAM's Avatar
 
Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

Posts: 61,049
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
You will see 99 cents adapter on ebay made in China in 6 months.
__________________
E90SLAM is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #94
Baremeg55
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 Z4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston

Posts: 166
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge
I was originally waiting for the iphone 5 to come out, so I could upgrade from my htc evo 3d. Two weeks ago I walked in to a sprint store and checked out the Gs3. Sooo many features that my old iphone 4 didn't have, or any other phone on the market for that matter. I bought it and now that the iphone 5 is released, I'm glad I did. All apple did was make an attempt to MATCH the specs and features of an s3.
So, if Apple released their phone first, the SG3 would have basically only matched the iPhone specs, right? Again, these companies can ONY use the hardware available at the time of design. Personally, I would rather have the latest specs on a phone released a little later if that means the phone has been tested and works as designed, rather than rushed to market!

And no, I'm not an Apple fan boy, but slowly getting there.
Baremeg55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #95
escobar929
Brigadier General
 
escobar929's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL

Posts: 4,261
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
there's a reason for the connector and sim card... size.

The 30 pin connector is OLD, and with its redundancies they needed to go smaller and thinner for the new form factor (including the new iPod Touch/Nano). With the limited amount of space in the iPhone 5 they probably had no choice but to ditch the legacy connector.

The same goes for the nano sim. Apple is going out of their way to make each and every single component smaller, thinner, yet faster and more efficient in its function to accommodate one thing... battery. Everyone knows that LTE is power hungry, so Apple did everything they could to make the battery bigger. Hell, this was probably another reason why the made the screen 4" in the first place; to make a larger phone and insert in a larger battery.

As for USB 3.0? Yeah, I agree that's sort of annoying. That actually would've been useful (much faster data transfers, much better power availability for charging). AND it's backwards compatible. Maybe the didn't have the proper components to include that in the phone connector? Who knows. Maybe they're saving it for the iPhone 5S for next year's release. (I wouldn't be surprised)

IMO, the whole cable thing is a little bit of an annoyance, but at the same time, I can see why Apple made this decision. The fact that 'Lightning' is more durable (we'll see) and that it is a reversible plug in (definitely a welcome feature) is surely a plus, and with improving technologies, we'll be using physical connections less and less. With wi-fi and bluetooth 4.0, a lot of the past functions of the 30-pin connector are useless. In the mean time, yes, the adapter is a kick in the balls (I'm definitely waiting on monoprice) but I'm not gonna cry over it. I'm sure I can wait a month or two before third-party accessories adapt to the new change.
I agree, its not a huge deal, but you would think they would make the adaptor cheap to ease the transition but they did the exact opposite.

Carrying two cables its not the end of the world, it was something that had to happen at one point or another, they just didnt have to kick us in the balls while doing it

I do hope they are more durable, one of my exs use to murder those cables, two-three months and you would start seeing the cables inside
escobar929 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #96
escobar929
Brigadier General
 
escobar929's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL

Posts: 4,261
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
One of the things I really like is having the headphone jack at the bottom, its always bugged me having it on top
escobar929 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #97
danniexi
Colonel
 
danniexi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 335xi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 2,055
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
I agree, its not a huge deal, but you would think they would make the adaptor cheap to ease the transition but they did the exact opposite.

Carrying two cables its not the end of the world, it was something that had to happen at one point or another, they just didnt have to kick us in the balls while doing it

I do hope they are more durable, one of my exs use to murder those cables, two-three months and you would start seeing the cables inside
I agree, yes, it's a total rip off and the consumers will either have to wait it out or bend over for Apple and purchase one.

Hell, Apple did the same thing with the redesinged Macbook Pro... they have the Magsafe adapter for $10; you would think they would make an attempt to sell it at a similar price point.

Personally I only use the cable for charging my phone + the occasional backup so it doesn't bother me, but for others who have different peripherals, the situation sucks.
danniexi is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #98
vantagesc
Second Lieutenant
 
vantagesc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Waiting for monoprice.com to release the new cable and/or adapter.
vantagesc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #99
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,174
iTrader: (0)

The new plug seems like a minimal issue to me. You get one with the phone and you buy an adaptor. Now you have two. I only use 2 and can't imagine where else i would need one. Bedroom and office. Hell, i only use the one at the office about 2 times a month.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #100
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,940
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
The new plug seems like a minimal issue to me. You get one with the phone and you buy an adaptor. Now you have two. I only use 2 and can't imagine where else i would need one. Bedroom and office. Hell, i only use the one at the office about 2 times a month.
Agreed, I am curious how an adapter will work with cars, but either way.

The other thing worth mentioning, if Apple stuck to backward compatible/legacy hardware/software they would not be where they are today.
MisterSkiMask is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #101
Inspired
Colonel
 
Inspired's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
The new plug seems like a minimal issue to me. You get one with the phone and you buy an adaptor. Now you have two. I only use 2 and can't imagine where else i would need one. Bedroom and office. Hell, i only use the one at the office about 2 times a month.
Here is why I have like 10.

I have one in basically every room of my house. I have 3 in my room alone. One for night stand wall outlet and one for USB to computer and one for iPad.

Then I have 2 cars and those have to e replaced also. And also those extended battery chargers won't work for the new iPhone.

I really don't understand why Apple didn't decide to just use micro usb. Almost all phones use it now a days. Seems like just a huge marketing scheme to make more money off the consumers..
Inspired is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #102
Bakeme521
Some say...
 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA

Posts: 4,272
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
I don't get why you guys are freaking out about the cable and the adapter so much? Most people won't need the adapter they will just replace it with a whole new usb cord, which will be dirt cheap on ebay and the phone will come with one. Secondly, if you do need an adapter, chances are you will only need one, which you will be able to get on ebay for prob 2 dollars shipped or at walmart for less than 10 bucks.

For example, the apple adapter for a macbook to hookup an HDMI cable is 50 bucks at apple. I got the one I have from some no name company on amazon for 6 dollars shipped to my door.

I just think you guys are making a big deal our of nothing. I personally like the new cable, yes its a small inconvenience, but it has an upside, it can go in either way. I think that is a really cool feature.

They can't keep the same cable forever, stuff changes when technology gets better. Yeah it was a pain in the ass when everything turned into DVDs so the VHS players started to become useless, but who cares, its better and you got over it.
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Bakeme521 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #103
sterz85
Second Lieutenant
 
sterz85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Troy, MI

Posts: 239
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baremeg55 View Post
So, if Apple released their phone first, the SG3 would have basically only matched the iPhone specs, right? Again, these companies can ONY use the hardware available at the time of design. Personally, I would rather have the latest specs on a phone released a little later if that means the phone has been tested and works as designed, rather than rushed to market!

And no, I'm not an Apple fan boy, but slowly getting there.
The iPhone 5 doesn't really compete against the SG3 (it can't really), it competes against the iPhone 4S.

Pretty much all the new things on the iPhone 5 are new things to iPhone users only. Android and Windows phone users have had all this technology and software for over a year.

An article listed the specs for the iPhone 5 vs the SG3. iPhone 5 has 8 hours of talk time, over 3G. Well the SG3 has 11:40 hours of talk time over 3G. Also the SG3 had the iPhone 5 beat in the rest of the specs.

But that doesn't matter, Apple has a loyal cult which will replace their old beat up iPhone phone.
sterz85 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #104
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,988
iTrader: (0)

SG3 sucks, all i ever hear from people is how they don't like it and can't wait to replace it with and iphone.
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #105
RambleJ
Colonel
 
RambleJ's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Back in teh so cal

Posts: 2,013
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
SG3 sucks, all i ever hear from people is how they don't like it and can't wait to replace it with and iphone.
Hmmm I hear the complete opposite, but then again I don't hang out in Starbucks with hipsters.
RambleJ is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #106
johanness
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 Z4MC
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, Vancouver

Posts: 1,741
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
SG3 sucks, all i ever hear from people is how they don't like it and can't wait to replace it with and iphone.
Hmmm I hear the complete opposite, but then again I don't hang out in Starbucks with hipsters.

Ah, mullets and lifted trucks is more the SG3 crowd. Now it all makes sense.
johanness is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #107
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,988
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Hmmm I hear the complete opposite, but then again I don't hang out in Starbucks with hipsters.
Never had starbucks and dont drink coffee. But i do enjoy my iphone
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #108
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,174
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterz85 View Post
The iPhone 5 doesn't really compete against the SG3 (it can't really), it competes against the iPhone 4S.

Pretty much all the new things on the iPhone 5 are new things to iPhone users only. Android and Windows phone users have had all this technology and software for over a year.

An article listed the specs for the iPhone 5 vs the SG3. iPhone 5 has 8 hours of talk time, over 3G. Well the SG3 has 11:40 hours of talk time over 3G. Also the SG3 had the iPhone 5 beat in the rest of the specs.

But that doesn't matter, because people will buy and use the phone they want to. No mater what what kind of useless stats people post on a forum.
Seriously, why do you people care? If i had to talk on my phone for 8 hours a day my choice of cell phone would be pointless because i would shoot myself. The iPhone does what i want it to. It works every time i pick it up. If for some reason i have a problem with it people fix it or replace it.

I'm amazed at how many people care so much about my productivity and ability to talk more than 8 hours a day with out charging.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #109
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,784
iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired View Post
Here is why I have like 10.

I have one in basically every room of my house. I have 3 in my room alone. One for night stand wall outlet and one for USB to computer and one for iPad.

Then I have 2 cars and those have to e replaced also. And also those extended battery chargers won't work for the new iPhone.

I really don't understand why Apple didn't decide to just use micro usb. Almost all phones use it now a days. Seems like just a huge marketing scheme to make more money off the consumers..
lol you're like me

I have one by my desk, each side of my bed (one for me, one for the girl), one in each of my cars (both BMWs and the Van), one at my office, and one in my briefcase for on the go.

This doesn't count the ones my family has for their own iProducts
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #110
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

Posts: 1,940
iTrader: (0)

order has been placed
MisterSkiMask is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
sheep

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST