BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Steve Thomas BMW

09-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #1
Rutger

Drives: E92 M3 White

Modding a bone stock white M3

Hi there, I'm new to the board and after reading a lot of threads for the last couple of weeks I decided to ask some questions to fellow enthousiasts.

I recently purchased a stock E92 M3. It's white and has the standard 19" wheels. I think I've downloaded every single picture on this message board that features a white M3. The problem is that this has not made choosing any simpler. Also, I see alot of manufacturers from the US. I live in NL (next to Germany) and this board seems to be more US oriented.

What I have come up with:

Install 359 matte black 19" BMW OEM Motorsport wheels (alternatively have the stock 19"rims powder coated black but I'm a bit reluctant if this will look good at all).

Challenge GT3 front lip and carbon rear diffuser (I like 3D design even more but I don't want ground clearance to become too low due to ridiculous amounts of speed bumps in the Netherlands, which makes driving a real pita).

I would like to install the Akrapovic Titanium Evolution Exhaust System and I would like to know if anyone has the Challenge carbon rear diffuser installed and can post some pics of the tips of the tailpipe of the Akra to see if the exhaust tips look sweet with this combo). (didn't find a pic of that combo).

Last thing done cosmetic will be installing black grille from BMW Motorsport.

I used to drive E46 M3's and got really pissed off with the brakes. I'm going to see how the E92 brakes cope with my driving and if that's the same crap as E46 M3 probably replace them by AP racing kit.

Your thoughts/opinions about this combo are greatly appreciated. Also, i would be very interested in seeing pics of these combo's so I can finally decide on what stuff to order.
Rutger is offline   Netherlands
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Sounds like a good plan.
      09-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
BLACK OPS
Captain

Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Sounds like an A+ setup. I don't think powdercoated stock wheels will look bad at all. You might have hard time getting the challenge diffuser you want. Akra tips will look good with anything, especially CF tips on white.

2011.5 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|BB|DINAN|EVOLVE|BPM|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|APEX|
BLACK OPS is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
GTM_Challenge
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: E92 M3,X5M,F30 335

Send a message via AIM to GTM_Challenge
All great product choices, car will look fantastic. We are awaiting some new samples of the rear diffuser before we approve production.
GTM_Challenge is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
iDontAlwaysDrink
Private First Class Asshole

Drives: ....but when I do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutger View Post
Hi there, I'm new to the board and after reading a lot of threads for the last couple of weeks I decided to ask some questions to fellow enthousiasts.

I recently purchased a stock E92 M3. It's white and has the standard 19" wheels. I think I've downloaded every single picture on this message board that features a white M3. The problem is that this has not made choosing any simpler. Also, I see alot of manufacturers from the US. I live in NL (next to Germany) and this board seems to be more US oriented.

What I have come up with:

Install 359 matte black 19" BMW OEM Motorsport wheels (alternatively have the stock 19"rims powder coated black but I'm a bit reluctant if this will look good at all).

Challenge GT3 front lip and carbon rear diffuser (I like 3D design even more but I don't want ground clearance to become too low due to ridiculous amounts of speed bumps in the Netherlands, which makes driving a real pita).

I would like to install the Akrapovic Titanium Evolution Exhaust System and I would like to know if anyone has the Challenge carbon rear diffuser installed and can post some pics of the tips of the tailpipe of the Akra to see if the exhaust tips look sweet with this combo). (didn't find a pic of that combo).

Last thing done cosmetic will be installing black grille from BMW Motorsport.

I used to drive E46 M3's and got really pissed off with the brakes. I'm going to see how the E92 brakes cope with my driving and if that's the same crap as E46 M3 probably replace them by AP racing kit.

Your thoughts/opinions about this combo are greatly appreciated. Also, i would be very interested in seeing pics of these combo's so I can finally decide on what stuff to order.
I have a few things to say about each item, but I figure all the fanboyism kiddies will come in and rage the moment I mention anything even marginally negative, and even if I tell them to blow me, they'll get piss offended and go tell mommy and daddy admin, so I'll comment on just one point, since you stated interest in both.

If you mean 3D diffuser, clearance will be the same as Challenge if not better, since the Challenge diffuser blades come down more. If you mean 3d front lip, clearance is actually better on 3D than challenge. Challenge comes a little down and out from the center, whereas the 3D lip mostly follows the side lines of the bumper, and adds very little to reduce ground clearance.

I do wish you were in the states, it would be easier for you to do your research then depend on this forum. Good luck OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Im far from jealous... I can afford a much nicer car than a M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
JZBE92
I poop at work to save money on toilet paper.

Drives: 2012 M3 SOLD, FR-S Monogram

Mod to your heart's content. No real wrong way to eat a Reeses.
2012 JZB E92 M3 Coupe. DCT/ZCP. Paint Match IND Cosmetic Package, Arkym Bumper, Verstrabe Paddles, LUX Angel Eyes, Vorsteiner double sided CF CSL trunk lid, Evolve Valve Exhaust, 19x9.5 et 21, 19x10.5 et 22 TE37 SL Pressed Graphite
JZBE92 is offline   Taiwan
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
M3NSCH
Private

Drives: Tuuuurbo

Good luck! Though decision!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

The Motorsport wheels are 18" and require an adaptor for proper fitment, I believe.

Edit: I see that you meant the 359Ms. Just FYI, those aren't the Motorsport wheels.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
Rutger

Thanks to all who responded. Good to hear I appear to be on the right track.

IdontAlwaysDrink, I meant the front lip and I see your point. The 3d appears to have less clearance but you're definately right on the point of ground clearance. I used to have a Brititsh Racing Green M3 E36 in the past and with the undertray extended it was impossible to drive the car over small speed bumps.

As far as the carbon tips on the Akra, won't that look rice? With the diffuser made of carbon I would figure exhaust tips in carbon as well would be too much and doesn't bring any detail there? Thanks for all advice at this point. When I have the first mods installed I will post pics. No real use in posting pics of a stock M3 in here ;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
BLACK OPS
Captain

Drives: E92 M3 6MT

I don't think CF exhaust tips plus a CF diffuser will look wrong but but I know what your saying. If you're going to make the wheels black then black tips might flow better. Good luck!

2011.5 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|BB|DINAN|EVOLVE|BPM|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|APEX|
BLACK OPS is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Rshane
M-Flight Member

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks to all who responded. Good to hear I appear to be on the right track.

IdontAlwaysDrink, I meant the front lip and I see your point. The 3d appears to have less clearance but you're definately right on the point of ground clearance. I used to have a Brititsh Racing Green M3 E36 in the past and with the undertray extended it was impossible to drive the car over small speed bumps.

As far as the carbon tips on the Akra, won't that look rice? With the diffuser made of carbon I would figure exhaust tips in carbon as well would be too much and doesn't bring any detail there? Thanks for all advice at this point. When I have the first mods installed I will post pics. No real use in posting pics of a stock M3 in here ;-)

Where in the Netherlands are you? I'm just across the border in Geilenkirchen , Germany. I'm not sure if you've heard of the M Flight but, lots of members involved with lots of mods. You could come to a meet and see what looks good

2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew
Rshane is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
Rutger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
Where in the Netherlands are you? I'm just across the border in Geilenkirchen , Germany. I'm not sure if you've heard of the M Flight but, lots of members involved with lots of mods. You could come to a meet and see what looks good
Well border of Germany is just a 1.5 hour drive. I live near Amsterdam. Could you please keep me updated on meetings and such? Would love to come over and see what everybody has done and where they got their goodies from!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
Rshane
M-Flight Member

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Well border of Germany is just a 1.5 hour drive. I live near Amsterdam. Could you please keep me updated on meetings and such? Would love to come over and see what everybody has done and where they got their goodies from!
Sure thing.

2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew
Rshane is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #14
showcase
Private

Drives: 2010 BMW M3

I just modded my 2010 AWP M3 using several of the mods that you listed. I'll try to post pics in the next couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #15
Rutger

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcase View Post
I just modded my 2010 AWP M3 using several of the mods that you listed. I'll try to post pics in the next couple of days.
Looking forward to see pics!

I also found a UK based shop that resells products from the US. Unfortunately they don't resell 3D design though ...

For European board readers: http://www.ca-int.co.uk/home.php

I'm in no way affiliated with this company and have not yet ordered anything from them but I was happy to find them!
Appreciate 0