BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #133
ramuman
Private First Class
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Dealer advises that a new engine will have to be shipped from Germany at a cost of $24,800. 3 weeks to deliver. Installation not included

Seats are unbolted, and car now has no pads or carpet with plastic trim in trunk.

Still waiting on Geico
The Geico part is what I want to hear most about - at least from a pragmatic point of view.

I'm glad things are coming along for you. I was going to say chugging along, but the pun...well it wrote itself .
ramuman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #134
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

subscribed..... wow that engine price... smh!
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #135
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
 
///M3AN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NW Arkansas

Posts: 333
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Dealer advises that a new engine will have to be shipped from Germany at a cost of $24,800. 3 weeks to deliver. Installation not included

Seats are unbolted, and car now has no pads or carpet with plastic trim in trunk.

Still waiting on Geico
Just curious here, and sorry if this is a dumb question.... what happens to an engine with water damage? Is an engine replacement more economical than an engine repair? Granted, I understand that as the owner of the vehcile, I would just want a new engine. But, what happens to the old engine that makes it useless?
///M3AN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #136
Scrappy
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 165
iTrader: (0)

Think about it like this engines work on the suck squeeze bang blow principle. Which means air is taken in and compressed then spark is added and it is sent out as exhaust. Since water is not compressable when the piston is trying to squeeze it is unable to do so, which inturn means something has to give. The weak link will always give whether that be rods, lifters, even the cylinder wall so the damage can run the full spectrum of parts that can break. Once one of these parts breaks it usually takes other pieces along with it. Also once water is taken in corrosion will start to form and that means cleaning every part it touched.
Scrappy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #137
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,721
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN View Post
Just curious here, and sorry if this is a dumb question.... what happens to an engine with water damage? Is an engine replacement more economical than an engine repair? Granted, I understand that as the owner of the vehcile, I would just want a new engine. But, what happens to the old engine that makes it useless?
It depends on how bad it was (high or low RPM during water intake, etc). It can be as bad as broken rod(s), hole(s) in the block, bent valves, and scratched cylinders. In which case, it's not worth rebuilding. Or it could just be bent rods.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #138
JUSKIDN
Lieutenant
 
JUSKIDN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 550
iTrader: (0)

I hope you and that Geico lizard are tight
__________________
It's not illegal. It's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
JUSKIDN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #139
mjposner
Captain
 
mjposner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 235i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 988
iTrader: (2)

Getting frustrated. BMW dealer told Adjuster 1 that engine needed to be replaced on Friday 8/31 by phone and fax. Adjuster 1 did not respond until Tuesday, and said he was re-transferring case back to original adjuster (he was a fill in). I called on Thursday and left a message, no response, left a text on Friday, no response. So now it has been almost two weeks since the loss, and I have no idea what is going to happen.
__________________
Previous BMW: 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 85 635csi
My other ride: www.mjposner.com/corvair
Check out my Mountain retreat:www.blueridge-rental.com
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
mjposner is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #140
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

You're a lawyer aren't you? You know these things take time. As long as the insurance company has extablished liability and verifiied that you are covered its just a matter of cutting through all the red tape.

It took a month for me to recieve payment for my total loss last year
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #141
K-M3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '12 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oklahoma

Posts: 223
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Getting frustrated. BMW dealer told Adjuster 1 that engine needed to be replaced on Friday 8/31 by phone and fax. Adjuster 1 did not respond until Tuesday, and said he was re-transferring case back to original adjuster (he was a fill in). I called on Thursday and left a message, no response, left a text on Friday, no response. So now it has been almost two weeks since the loss, and I have no idea what is going to happen.
heyy mann!!! just went through the thread......sooo sorry dude!!!! it sucks..

as far as the time frame goes, my experience with geico wasnt that great with my other car... it needed a new engine and it took geico forever to find the replacement (and this on a toyota!!!!) they kept sending busted motors and refused to cover a factory refurbished motor... the reason was...since my original engine was 51K old, they would only cover an equivalent mileage engine...after 3 attempts at letting them handle this and getting frustrated at 3 consecutive busted motors that they sent, I finally asked the dealer to put in a factory refurbished motor that the dealer sourced and coughed up the difference!!!!! total down time from the time of accident to me getting the car back was about 9 weeks......

yours is a different case and I hope it gets sorted out for you in a decent manner.

and btw, moved over to liberty mutual for my M3 with their BMW performance insurance option, which I understand allows for new replacement parts in case of an accident, plus had much better rates than geico and most other providers........
K-M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #142
mjposner
Captain
 
mjposner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 235i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 988
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
You're a lawyer aren't you? You know these things take time. As long as the insurance company has extablished liability and verifiied that you are covered its just a matter of cutting through all the red tape.

It took a month for me to recieve payment for my total loss last year
That is the issue, they haven't. All they authorized was a $600 diagnosis and cleanup. By delaying, I run into my rental car wall expiration of 30 days. If they approve engine replacement I will be out at least 4 weeks, as it takes 3 to ship the engine form Germany and a week to install. By delaying at least 10 days from the date of the decision, I will eat at least $350 in rental car fees.

Also, not knowing whether they will or won't total is killing me...
__________________
Previous BMW: 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 85 635csi
My other ride: www.mjposner.com/corvair
Check out my Mountain retreat:www.blueridge-rental.com
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
mjposner is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #143
mjposner
Captain
 
mjposner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 235i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 988
iTrader: (2)

K-M3 thanks for the insurance tip...I'll see how this ends up and then decide on insurance.
__________________
Previous BMW: 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 85 635csi
My other ride: www.mjposner.com/corvair
Check out my Mountain retreat:www.blueridge-rental.com
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
mjposner is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #144
IFX
Banned
 
Drives: AW e46M/N54
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Fla.

Posts: 2,538
iTrader: (1)

insurance companies love to give the run-around, my dad deals with this on a daily basis.
IFX is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #145
ramuman
Private First Class
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
That is the issue, they haven't. All they authorized was a $600 diagnosis and cleanup. By delaying, I run into my rental car wall expiration of 30 days. If they approve engine replacement I will be out at least 4 weeks, as it takes 3 to ship the engine form Germany and a week to install. By delaying at least 10 days from the date of the decision, I will eat at least $350 in rental car fees.

Also, not knowing whether they will or won't total is killing me...
Will BMW give you a loaner when the engine is in transit, just during the installation, or none at all? My guess is the later.
ramuman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #146
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
Will BMW give you a loaner when the engine is in transit, just during the installation, or none at all? My guess is the later.
I would be surprised if they didn't provide a loaner while they install what I am sure is a $25K plus in engine parts/labor.....
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #147
///M3AN
First Lieutenant
 
///M3AN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Jet Black E90 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NW Arkansas

Posts: 333
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
2008 Chevrolet Tahoe  [0.00]
///M3AN is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #148
mjposner
Captain
 
mjposner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 235i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 988
iTrader: (2)

Well the second adjuster met with the dealership today and inspected the car. He left me a voice mail (I am traveling on vacation with a six hour time difference) saying that due to the high cost of repair they must complete an appraisal of the car to determine whether to repair or total. he also said the neither he or his supervisor has authority at this dollar level so after the appraisal is done, a manager makes the call.

Hopefully I'll know something tomorrow.

Anyone know this M3:

http://www.offleaseonly.com/used-car...558PY39289.htm
__________________
Previous BMW: 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 85 635csi
My other ride: www.mjposner.com/corvair
Check out my Mountain retreat:www.blueridge-rental.com
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
mjposner is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #149
mjposner
Captain
 
mjposner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 235i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 988
iTrader: (2)

Well after calling the adjuster today (Thursday) he called back and said the appraisal was in and that everything was transferred to a manger to make decision on what happens next. My view is unless car appraises over $48k, they will total.

Won't likely get an answer till Monday.
__________________
Previous BMW: 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 85 635csi
My other ride: www.mjposner.com/corvair
Check out my Mountain retreat:www.blueridge-rental.com
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
mjposner is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #150
2009Cabriolet
Private
 
Drives: 2009 Cabriolet
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

What outcome are you hoping for at this point?
2009Cabriolet is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #151
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,447
iTrader: (1)

I hope they total it for your sake...unless you just lose an inordinate amount of money this would be the best outcome. I don't think you would want this car again.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #152
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,919
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
heyy mann!!! just went through the thread......sooo sorry dude!!!! it sucks..

as far as the time frame goes, my experience with geico wasnt that great with my other car... it needed a new engine and it took geico forever to find the replacement (and this on a toyota!!!!) they kept sending busted motors and refused to cover a factory refurbished motor... the reason was...since my original engine was 51K old, they would only cover an equivalent mileage engine...after 3 attempts at letting them handle this and getting frustrated at 3 consecutive busted motors that they sent, I finally asked the dealer to put in a factory refurbished motor that the dealer sourced and coughed up the difference!!!!! total down time from the time of accident to me getting the car back was about 9 weeks......

yours is a different case and I hope it gets sorted out for you in a decent manner.

and btw, moved over to liberty mutual for my M3 with their BMW performance insurance option, which I understand allows for new replacement parts in case of an accident, plus had much better rates than geico and most other providers........
Depends on how long you have been with a company and what discounts you have. I found Liberty Mutual through the roof in terms of full coverage with rental car.

Geico I have had since 1990. That being said for 2 BMWs and current M3 and current X5 I pay $100 a month for full coverage with rental coverage. Thats dirt cheap and Liberty couldn't come near that.

Last edited by Endless619; 09-15-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #153
mjposner
Captain
 
mjposner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 235i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 988
iTrader: (2)

Well things get weirder. Got an e-mail yesterday from Geico saying that my vehicle was a total loss, and they sent a vehicle value report. It was an appraisal comparing my car to similar models and a value of about $46k. Appraisal looked fine to me except it showed a 6 speed when I have dct, and did not appear to include EDC, HD Radio, Carbon Leather, Individual Audio or BMW Assist (about $7,600 in options).

When I called the adjuster, he said to ignore the e-mail, they make their own decision and he seemed annoyed about the e-mail. I also told him about the options that were not listed, he asked for the window sticker, which I don't have. I did send him a printout from this website: http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

I am debating whether to go cheap now and wait on the new M3 (either a 135i, 335i or G37s 08-09), or buy an M3 (08-09) or an Audi S5.

Maybe this saga will end sometime next week....
__________________
Previous BMW: 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 85 635csi
My other ride: www.mjposner.com/corvair
Check out my Mountain retreat:www.blueridge-rental.com
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
mjposner is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #154
m3an
Banned
 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Well things get weirder. Got an e-mail yesterday from Geico saying that my vehicle was a total loss, and they sent a vehicle value report. It was an appraisal comparing my car to similar models and a value of about $46k. Appraisal looked fine to me except it showed a 6 speed when I have dct, and did not appear to include EDC, HD Radio, Carbon Leather, Individual Audio or BMW Assist (about $7,600 in options).

When I called the adjuster, he said to ignore the e-mail, they make their own decision and he seemed annoyed about the e-mail. I also told him about the options that were not listed, he asked for the window sticker, which I don't have. I did send him a printout from this website: http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

I am debating whether to go cheap now and wait on the new M3 (either a 135i, 335i or G37s 08-09), or buy an M3 (08-09) or an Audi S5.

Maybe this saga will end sometime next week....
their value has to be based on the applicable options; maybe the email was pretty much just generic as I'm sure there was massive amounts of total losses from the past storm. That being said their ACV should be within the average of NADA, Kelly and Red Book values. Make sure they are accounting for all available options including the 19s and DCT, nav etc as these will increase the value. I know it sucks but be patient as they are working through the claims process.
m3an is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST