BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

GetBMWParts

07-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #23
In Extremis
Jordan C

Drives: 09 MR E92 M3, 65 GTO

Oh how I wish I had a lift.. and a garage for that matter. The cars have a pole building and I lug my tools in and out of my basement. I've been looking at portable lifts that bolt in, but they require a good amount concrete slab. This could present a problem since I live in a wetlands area with a high water table (can't even drown in the deep end of my pool).

And safety always first! I also keep the jack in place under the front mount, if I'm going to be killed by a car, it sure as hell won't be underneath it.
Melbourne Red E92 M3 DCT Sparco CF/Alcantara DTM Seats.KW3 Coilovers.Apex Wheels.OEM Performance Spoiler with CRT Theme & Splitters.Turner Subframe Mounts.Vorshlag Camber Plates.RD Sway Bars.AD08s 265/295.15 lb. Braille Battery.Catless Gintani Race.ESS Tune.Dinan Pulley.MS2 Intake.100 Octane Mix.Schroth Harnesses.Challenge Harness Bar in MR.Challenge Toe Link.Krics R40.Turner Studs/Pedals.SS Lines.Rear Seat Delete & more I can't remember
In Extremis is offline   United_States
      07-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Only problem with the jack under the front mount is that you need to loosen the undertray to change the x-pipe. I leave the bolts up front under the felt below the bumper intact, but remove the other 5.

Even low ramps would help, like the EZ Lift (you can make these out of lumber). A fairly long access ramp is required if you do the lumber version, but you can hinge them. Not something easy to lug in and out of the basement, but maybe you could put them on removeable rollers.

If you buy two nice heavy duty floor jacks, you can lift the car at the diff and the front mount to about 20 inches and then put jack stands (ideally with adapters on top and the little hockey puck with rectangle adapters to the rocker panel plastic mounts) under the car. Just be careful because the car moves position as one end or side is raised and you can pull it off the jackstands at the other end when you lower it if you are not within the acceptable range of movement. In contrast, jacks roll as you raise and lower the car -- jackstands do not roll.

A 4 inch pad is sufficient for most lifts if you decide to go that way.
      09-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy

Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
For anyone who's installed HFC's and an x pipe, is it possible to do this just by putting the front wheels on ramps, or am I going to have to go with jack stands?
So a little late after you made the thread, but I thought I would let you know I just changed my xpipe back to stop with on rhino ramps. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS.

But if you havent already, a tip is have an extra set of ramps (or something for leverage, to help to lift the new xpipe and a small jack to fit inter the car to help lift the pipe as well near where it connects to the cat back. Slowly raise, lightly fir screws, position, and tighten. Took me about 6 hours lol.... from start to cleanup.