BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

camber plates = tick tick ticking during low speed steering?

When I'm moving at low speeds (under 10 mph, perhaps) or stopped, I hear a ticking or clicking sound as I turn the steering wheel. The dealer says it's not the steering rack or power assist. They actually thought it was the strut brace getting torqued.

Anyway, I installed ground control camber plates shortly after I got the car. I can't clearly remember whether the car did this before the camber plates, but I think maybe it did. A bit of web searching has lead me to believe that the noise might be coming from the camber plates, themselves. I asked Ground Control and they said it shouldn't happen and that it shouldn't be a matter of lubrication as there's nothing on those camber plates that should need to be lubed.

Something else the dealer told me is that the lower control arms have a significant amount of play in them.
__________________
Drifty// is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
radsmd
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG/FR ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty//
When I'm moving at low speeds (under 10 mph, perhaps) or stopped, I hear a ticking or clicking sound as I turn the steering wheel. The dealer says it's not the steering rack or power assist. They actually thought it was the strut brace getting torqued.

Anyway, I installed ground control camber plates shortly after I got the car. I can't clearly remember whether the car did this before the camber plates, but I think maybe it did. A bit of web searching has lead me to believe that the noise might be coming from the camber plates, themselves. I asked Ground Control and they said it shouldn't happen and that it shouldn't be a matter of lubrication as there's nothing on those camber plates that should need to be lubed.

Something else the dealer told me is that the lower control arms have a significant amount of play in them.
Trying to work through the exact same issue with GC as we speak.
radsmd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 02:29 AM   #3
Rapture
I'm suckin gas but I'm haulin ass
 
Rapture's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA

Posts: 656
iTrader: (13)

I ditched my Ground Control sleeve coil over set up because of the noise (among other major problems). GC will lie to you and tell you they never make any noise.
Rapture is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Sleeper519
Captain
 
Sleeper519's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 764
iTrader: (0)

Mine do the same thing. It's minor and doesn't bother me any more. No other N/H/V, function is fine.
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
 
CanAutM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 3,972
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Don't hear anything with mine...
CanAutM3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I ditched my Ground Control sleeve coil over set up because of the noise (among other major problems). GC will lie to you and tell you they never make any noise.
What major problems? I was just about to add their sleeve/spring kit. What do you plan to use instead?

If it's just a bit of noise in parking lots, I will happily ignore it. The only reason I asked was out of concern that the noise might be a symptom of a more serious mechanical problem.

So far, I'm pleased with my GC camber plates. If the noise is coming from them, I wish GC would just be honest and tell me. Then, I could stop worrying. I understand that any sort of aftermarket suspension part is necessarily a tradeoff. And as far as tradeoffs go, this small noise really wouldn't be a bad one at all.
__________________
Drifty// is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
No other N/H/V, function is fine.
N/H/V? Noise/H???/Vibration?
__________________
Drifty// is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

NVH = Noise, vibration, and harshness

When you turn your steering wheel, the struts turn, and the springs turn with the struts. The upper spring perches have bearings above them, which allow the springs to rotate smoothly.

I suspect that the noise is coming from one of these mechanisms.

Best way to find out for sure? Install the factory upper mounts.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
Rapture
I'm suckin gas but I'm haulin ass
 
Rapture's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OC, CA

Posts: 656
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
What major problems? I was just about to add their sleeve/spring kit. What do you plan to use instead?

If it's just a bit of noise in parking lots, I will happily ignore it. The only reason I asked was out of concern that the noise might be a symptom of a more serious mechanical problem.

So far, I'm pleased with my GC camber plates. If the noise is coming from them, I wish GC would just be honest and tell me. Then, I could stop worrying. I understand that any sort of aftermarket suspension part is necessarily a tradeoff. And as far as tradeoffs go, this small noise really wouldn't be a bad one at all.
Refer to my posts in this thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702886
Rapture is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

If it's a consistent clicking, and you can predict when it's going to click, then it's probably the front wheel bearings. I had the same exact problem, and after new rotors, brake shields, and tie-rod ends, they finally swapped the bearings and that fixed it.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
edwinm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Doral

Posts: 1,828
iTrader: (8)

Could be the the bearings on the plates but I bet you it's the springs binding when the rotate on the perches. Just to give you an idea, TCKline sells teflon and metal sleeves that go in between the perch and the spring preventing this from happening. Give Ground control a call to see if they have anything like that, if not TC Kline will hook you up.
__________________
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
If it's a consistent clicking, and you can predict when it's going to click, then it's probably the front wheel bearings.
Can it be the front wheel bearings if the car isn't even moving? That's when the noise is worst.
__________________
Drifty// is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
Can it be the front wheel bearings if the car isn't even moving? That's when the noise is worst.
Yea mine did it moving or not moving, but it was always the same sound level. Did the noise start RIGHT after you installed the GC kit?
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Yea mine did it moving or not moving, but it was always the same sound level. Did the noise start RIGHT after you installed the GC kit?
I wish I could remember. I think it was pre-existing, but not 100% sure. The car was so new to me then, and I hadn't yet become accustomed to all its quirks.
__________________
Drifty// is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
I wish I could remember. I think it was pre-existing, but not 100% sure. The car was so new to me then, and I hadn't yet become accustomed to all its quirks.
Get someone to turn the wheels while you're outside of the car listening. If the sound is coming from where the brakes are towards the center of the wheels then I would look into getting the bearings replaced.

Let me know when you sort it out!
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST