BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
CatchM3IfYouCan181's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Alpina White
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.17]
E92 M3 stock exhaust vs. Borla ATAK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q26W7LWy4zk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Took this from Turner Motor Sports' page for their description of the Borla ATAK:
" This system is light, weighing in at only 34 lbs -- 21 pounds lighter than stock! This exhaust flows much more freely with less restriction than the stock rear muffler section, and features Borla's ATAK™ (Acoustically-Tuned Applied Kinetics) technology. This exclusive technology produces the highest available dB (decibel) levels in the BORLA® street-legal lineup, and is designed for high-performance purists who prefer exhaust notes over their stereos. The focus of ATAK™ is to pump the volume while retaining clarity of sound, at the same time avoiding the drone and distortion typically found in louder exhausts. With ATAK™, the sound output is tuned like a graphic equalizer to shape and focus sound waves for optimum high-volume output. It's made of the highest grade T-304 stainless steel, and has beautifully made symmetrical 3.5 inch quad exhaust tips."

The sound quality on this is amazing and although I've been told that the change in HP & Torque is minimal at 3% of stock by Turner, I can feel the difference. Maybe because of the loss in weight?

I also have an Evolve tune on my car which increases my HP by 10hp with increased throttle response so maybe they work well together.

As I learn more, I'll continue to post and as I do anything additional to the car, I'll post as well.
__________________
AutoX: BMWCCA-NY, NYR-SCCA, NNJR-SCCA, MSNE
YouTube: CATCHMEIFYOUCAN181
Instagram: CATCHM3IFYOUCAN

"Drag Racing is for fast cars, AutoX is for fast drivers"
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
showcase
Private
2
Rep
60
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Very nice, what sort of performance gains can be expected with this exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
rjd598
Brigadier General
rjd598's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
4,639
Posts

 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by showcase View Post
Very nice, what sort of performance gains can be expected with this exhaust?
If its just a muffler none
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
23
Rep
1,960
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (2)

No drone either, great loud exhaust. Kudo's to Borla on their design!

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
CatchM3IfYouCan181's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Alpina White
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk
No drone either, great loud exhaust. Kudo's to Borla on their design!

Thanks! I'm new to this forum and I've just started tuning my car. I'm not really doing too much as I'm running the car in autocross which I'm fairly new to as well.

Mainly, i joined this forum so that I can learn from other M3 owners who have much more experience than me.

Short term goals: Intake, headers, KW Variant 3's, 18x10's w Hoosiers A6's (all obviously for autocross purposes)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

how do you post the YouTube videos to the thread like that?
__________________
AutoX: BMWCCA-NY, NYR-SCCA, NNJR-SCCA, MSNE
YouTube: CATCHMEIFYOUCAN181
Instagram: CATCHM3IFYOUCAN

"Drag Racing is for fast cars, AutoX is for fast drivers"
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
CatchM3IfYouCan181's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Alpina White
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by showcase
Very nice, what sort of performance gains can be expected with this exhaust?
I am still learning everything about tuning the car but I've spoken to Turner Motor Sports and RCT Performance who installed my exhaust and both have told me that the main benefits are the light weight of the exhaust which is 21 lbs. less than stock and a much louder exhaust sound. As far as performance, Turner said there is a 3% increase in HP and Torque which would equal out to roughly 12 HP.

Turner Motor Sports' Description:
"This system is light, weighing in at only 34 lbs -- 21 pounds lighter than stock! This exhaust flows much more freely with less restriction than the stock rear muffler section, and features Borla's ATAK™ (Acoustically-Tuned Applied Kinetics) technology. This exclusive technology produces the highest available dB (decibel) levels in the BORLA® street-legal lineup, and is designed for high-performance purists who prefer exhaust notes over their stereos. The focus of ATAK™ is to pump the volume while retaining clarity of sound, at the same time avoiding the drone and distortion typically found in louder exhausts. With ATAK™, the sound output is tuned like a graphic equalizer to shape and focus sound waves for optimum high-volume output. It's made of the highest grade T-304 stainless steel, and has beautifully made symmetrical 3.5 inch quad exhaust tips."
__________________
AutoX: BMWCCA-NY, NYR-SCCA, NNJR-SCCA, MSNE
YouTube: CATCHMEIFYOUCAN181
Instagram: CATCHM3IFYOUCAN

"Drag Racing is for fast cars, AutoX is for fast drivers"
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
JoM3z
Lieutenant
JoM3z's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
407
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP F10 M5 - Alpine White
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mars

iTrader: (1)

Welcome to the forum Rae. If what you have is just an exhaust, no gains can be had, but you will have a nice sounding car. To really see and feel a difference, I would suggest getting an X-Pipe with High Flow Cats, Intake, Pulleys, and Tune. Some folks in NY run catless, but fail emissions test. Also you should have done a baseline dyno before putting the exhaust on. Just my 2 cents, I'm pretty sure someone here can chime in and give better suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
CatchM3IfYouCan181's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Alpina White
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoM3z
Welcome to the forum Rae. If what you have is just an exhaust, no gains can be had, but you will have a nice sounding car. To really see and feel a difference, I would suggest getting an X-Pipe with High Flow Cats, Intake, Pulleys, and Tune. Some folks in NY run catless, but fail emissions test. Also you should have done a baseline dyno before putting the exhaust on. Just my 2 cents, I'm pretty sure someone here can chime in and give better suggestions.
what's up brother? yea I posted this up cuz I've noticed that there were no sound comparisons for the Borla ATAK anywhere. im gonna start working on the mid pipes and yea catless would mean I wouldn't pass inspections. I'm waiting till my season is over before I do the majority of the work on the car because if I do one thing, I'm out of class and then I'm competing with fully tuned cars for the class. Everything I'm doing will probably run my roughly 10-15k on top of what I've already done and if I do one thing, I gotta do em all.
__________________
AutoX: BMWCCA-NY, NYR-SCCA, NNJR-SCCA, MSNE
YouTube: CATCHMEIFYOUCAN181
Instagram: CATCHM3IFYOUCAN

"Drag Racing is for fast cars, AutoX is for fast drivers"
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
JoM3z
Lieutenant
JoM3z's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
407
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP F10 M5 - Alpine White
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mars

iTrader: (1)

You don't really need all that power for what you are doing unless you want to move up class. KW V3 with EDC would probably do you more good than any other mods. Also put your car on a serious diet, Gixxer is selling his Roll Cage and Recaro seats. I have a list of things I want to do, but will have to wait till I move to NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3IfYouCan181 View Post
what's up brother? yea I posted this up cuz I've noticed that there were no sound comparisons for the Borla ATAK anywhere. im gonna start working on the mid pipes and yea catless would mean I wouldn't pass inspections. I'm waiting till my season is over before I do the majority of the work on the car because if I do one thing, I'm out of class and then I'm competing with fully tuned cars for the class. Everything I'm doing will probably run my roughly 10-15k on top of what I've already done and if I do one thing, I gotta do em all.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Dave07997S
Colonel
37
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3IfYouCan181 View Post
Thanks! I'm new to this forum and I've just started tuning my car. I'm not really doing too much as I'm running the car in autocross which I'm fairly new to as well.

Mainly, i joined this forum so that I can learn from other M3 owners who have much more experience than me.

Short term goals: Intake, headers, KW Variant 3's, 18x10's w Hoosiers A6's (all obviously for autocross purposes)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

how do you post the YouTube videos to the thread like that?

Forget the headers, the ones that have been shown are vaporware and they don't really add any hp in the rpm range you will be using this car,forgetting the fact they are uber expensive. The factory headers are a work of art.

Heres a pic of the S65, notice the OEM headers.



Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
CatchM3IfYouCan181's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Alpina White
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoM3z
You don't really need all that power for what you are doing unless you want to move up class. KW V3 with EDC would probably do you more good than any other mods. Also put your car on a serious diet, Gixxer is selling his Roll Cage and Recaro seats. I have a list of things I want to do, but will have to wait till I move to NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3IfYouCan181 View Post
what's up brother? yea I posted this up cuz I've noticed that there were no sound comparisons for the Borla ATAK anywhere. im gonna start working on the mid pipes and yea catless would mean I wouldn't pass inspections. I'm waiting till my season is over before I do the majority of the work on the car because if I do one thing, I'm out of class and then I'm competing with fully tuned cars for the class. Everything I'm doing will probably run my roughly 10-15k on top of what I've already done and if I do one thing, I gotta do em all.
I think the most expensive mod I'm doing to the car are the suspension which I'm getting mixed responses on because I might do KW V3's with Vorschlag camber or KW Clubsport but I've gotten some people to recommend Moton's which obviously are best except they are expensive and they are custom so I'd need to gve them the specs rather than an adjustable KW coil over.

lol I was gonna throw in the VF supercharger but decided its dumb to have 700 horses running around New York City.
__________________
AutoX: BMWCCA-NY, NYR-SCCA, NNJR-SCCA, MSNE
YouTube: CATCHMEIFYOUCAN181
Instagram: CATCHM3IFYOUCAN

"Drag Racing is for fast cars, AutoX is for fast drivers"
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
CatchM3IfYouCan181's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Alpina White
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3IfYouCan181 View Post
Thanks! I'm new to this forum and I've just started tuning my car. I'm not really doing too much as I'm running the car in autocross which I'm fairly new to as well.

Mainly, i joined this forum so that I can learn from other M3 owners who have much more experience than me.

Short term goals: Intake, headers, KW Variant 3's, 18x10's w Hoosiers A6's (all obviously for autocross purposes)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

how do you post the YouTube videos to the thread like that?

Forget the headers, the ones that have been shown are vaporware and they don't really add any hp in the rpm range you will be using this car,forgetting the fact they are uber expensive. The factory headers are a work of art.

Heres a pic of the S65, notice the OEM headers.



Dave
yea you're the 3rd person to tell me to leave the headers alone. I kinda still want the intake cuz I want the volume it'll add even tho the performance differential will not be too noticeable.
__________________
AutoX: BMWCCA-NY, NYR-SCCA, NNJR-SCCA, MSNE
YouTube: CATCHMEIFYOUCAN181
Instagram: CATCHM3IFYOUCAN

"Drag Racing is for fast cars, AutoX is for fast drivers"
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Dave07997S
Colonel
37
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchM3IfYouCan181 View Post
yea you're the 3rd person to tell me to leave the headers alone. I kinda still want the intake cuz I want the volume it'll add even tho the performance differential will not be too noticeable.
I have an AFE intake Sgt. 2 that uses the OEM box but the snorkel is different. Maybe worth only a few more hp than a OEM filter replacement such as a AFE, K&N, Green, BMC...to name a few. However, the intake sound along with the exhaust is intoxicating.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
CatchM3IfYouCan181
Private
CatchM3IfYouCan181's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Alpina White
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [3.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I have an AFE intake Sgt. 2 that uses the OEM box but the snorkel is different. Maybe worth only a few more hp than a OEM filter replacement such as a AFE, K&N, Green, BMC...to name a few. However, the intake sound along with the exhaust is intoxicating.

Dave
yea that's exactly what I want it for. Who cares about horsepower? LOL. Bean by Bean, 5 hp here, 12 hp there, all of a sudden you're working with 475hp and lightening the car will definitely make that extra hp go a long way!
__________________
AutoX: BMWCCA-NY, NYR-SCCA, NNJR-SCCA, MSNE
YouTube: CATCHMEIFYOUCAN181
Instagram: CATCHM3IFYOUCAN

"Drag Racing is for fast cars, AutoX is for fast drivers"
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
M3william
Enlisted Member
M3william's Avatar
Mexico
0
Rep
32
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Mineral White E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Monterrey, Mexico

iTrader: (0)

Hey, sorry for coming into an old thread, but I'm looking currently for a good exhaust.
This exhaust caught my attention both because of price and sound, so I was wondering if you could tell me more or less how louder is the ATAK system with just the axle-back and OEM x-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #16
Redline Bandit
Private
Redline Bandit's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
69
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

I am looking at this exhaust as well. Are you still happy with it? How loud is it really?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
23
Rep
1,960
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (2)

The ATAK is a race exhaust, in the realm of an AA Signature or Eisenmann Race for example.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
CP Louie
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 Race Car
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

NICE
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #19
dtm4me
Peachstate CCA member
dtm4me's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
30
Posts

 
Drives: 04 GT3, 03 M3, 97 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Good stuff! Gonna be loud and mean with test and x pipes when you go that route.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST