BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #45
IFX
Banned
31
Rep
2,538
Posts

 
Drives: AW e46M/N54
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Fla.

iTrader: (1)

sorry to hear op... but question, if you get the re-man motor, is that still covered under the 2 year warranty? And is insuracne definitely covering the costs?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #46
nbennettksu
Major
30
Rep
1,219
Posts

 
Drives: AYF80/PYE46
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
sorry to hear op... but question, if you get the re-man motor, is that still covered under the 2 year warranty? And is insuracne definitely covering the costs?
yes, a reman would be under the BMW 2yr-unlimited mile warranty. An LKQ or some other engine from another vehicle would have no warranty under BMW, just whatever LKQ would provide.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
Caddy ATS . . . finally, a decent rental car option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #47
US///M3
Major
23
Rep
1,266
Posts

 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

iTrader: (0)

I'd recommend a snorkel if you re goin to do that type of driving , the problem with the E9X M3, it sucks the air mainly from the lower driver (LHD) side of the bumper.
Attached Images
 
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #48
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
1sikbmr's Avatar
46
Rep
3,283
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (14)

Glad your ok. Car will get fixed. Dont beat yourself up over it.
__________________

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red #TEAMMODE
ESS VT1-550|Volk TE37|Recaro|STOPTECH|Ohlins R/T|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 |Agency Power/Sosi/ACM Test Pipes|BMW PSW V1|
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #49
Scrappy
Private First Class
5
Rep
166
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL

iTrader: (0)

I must say there are a lot of condescending douchebags on this forum. OP if they don't understand Florida weather or your situation screw them. I hope you get it fixed and back on the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #50
nineonenine
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
214
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Hopefully saving all that money on your car insurance by switching to Geico doesnt bite you in the ass. Hope you get it taken care of. Sorry you are in that situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #51
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
mshab356's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
745
Posts

 
Drives: a ///Monster
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (3)

I heard that 15 minutes can save you 15% or more on car insurance.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, OP! Good luck!
__________________
GONE 2011.5 SG E92 ///M3 6MT | CF kidney grills | IND SG painted side grills w/ tinted lenses | Painted bumper reflectors | TMS 90mm stud kit | Rear fog light mod | Active Autowerke exhaust |

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #52
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
117
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
I must say there are a lot of condescending douchebags on this forum. OP if they don't understand Florida weather or your situation screw them. I hope you get it fixed and back on the road.
yeah seriously, next time some dude said they crashed in icy conditions, you can say, you idiot, why would you drive in icy conditions?

If so SoCal dude's car get caught up in a riot, then you can say, you idiot, why you take your car into south central..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #53
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Poppin Fresh's Avatar
Philippines
33
Rep
2,128
Posts

 
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
yeah seriously, next time some dude said they crashed in icy conditions, you can say, you idiot, why would you drive in icy conditions?

If so SoCal dude's car get caught up in a riot, then you can say, you idiot, why you take your car into south central..
More like if a SoCal dude gets his car buried in a pile of ruble due to an earthquake you can tell him he should have parked his car underneath a table.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #54
mjposner
Major
mjposner's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

"I am assuming that like any normal intelligent person driving a $70k car through water, that he was moving very slowly. Judging by the fact he was out there in the first place, that may not be a good assumption."

Yes I was driving slow and I was out there because like most people I go to work when it is open.

Geico sent adjuster out and he authorized further diagnosis. They are going to open her up (I assume that means plugs and drain) and I should no by tomorrow if it is salvageable or not. I know the service manager and he said Geico is good to deal with. Adjuster told me they only look at totaling when cost exceeds 80% of value.

If it does need a new engine, I am assuming the costs will be somewhere north of 20k plus any new electrics, and if it is a new engine, add about $7,500k. Anyone know what the wholesale black book value of a 2008 M3 E93 with nav, dct, premium and 37k miles?
__________________
Previous BMW: 14 M235i, 11 BMW M3; 08 BMW M3; 08 BMW Z4M; 04 X3; 02 M3 Convertible; 02 M3; 00 M Roadster; 94 325 convertible; 85 635csi
My other ride: www.mjposner.com/corvair
Check out my Mountain retreat:www.blueridge-rental.com
My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #55
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

A little levity for a tense sitauaton..between the OPs problems and people on the thread getting their panties in a bunch for others not being sympathetic enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
I'd recommend a snorkel if you re goin to do that type of driving , the problem with the E9X M3, it sucks the air mainly from the lower driver (LHD) side of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #56
US///M3
Major
23
Rep
1,266
Posts

 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
yeah seriously, next time some dude said they crashed in icy conditions, you can say, you idiot, why would you drive in icy conditions?

If so SoCal dude's car get caught up in a riot, then you can say, you idiot, why you take your car into south central..
Well,it happened some guy from TX or OK on this forum got caught on icy roads in his M3 on ps2's summer tires. Instead of parking his car he kept driving till he crashed it.
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #57
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
117
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
Well,it happened some guy from TX or OK on this forum got caught on icy roads in his M3 on ps2's summer tires. Instead of parking his car he kept driving till he crashed it.
and we all said, you idiot..blah blah blah. Well hind side is 20-20 and every situation is different.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #58
nuespeedgti
Captain
nuespeedgti's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rehoboth, MA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
More like if a SoCal dude gets his car buried in a pile of ruble due to an earthquake you can tell him he should have parked his car underneath a table.
haha i was waiting for the earthquake senario!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #59
isugoo
Major General
isugoo's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 14 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (62)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
"I am assuming that like any normal intelligent person driving a $70k car through water, that he was moving very slowly. Judging by the fact he was out there in the first place, that may not be a good assumption."

Yes I was driving slow and I was out there because like most people I go to work when it is open.

Geico sent adjuster out and he authorized further diagnosis. They are going to open her up (I assume that means plugs and drain) and I should no by tomorrow if it is salvageable or not. I know the service manager and he said Geico is good to deal with. Adjuster told me they only look at totaling when cost exceeds 80% of value.

If it does need a new engine, I am assuming the costs will be somewhere north of 20k plus any new electrics, and if it is a new engine, add about $7,500k. Anyone know what the wholesale black book value of a 2008 M3 E93 with nav, dct, premium and 37k miles?
1. Sorry- I'm originally from virginia. I know how brutal rain and flood can be in east coast.
But here in socal, no one knows what brutal rain and flood means. However, Socal people know what the brutal wildfire means instead...

2. Your car wholesale should be somwhere in 30-35k, I think your ride should be a total lose. Even if they fix your M, your ride will show up as flood damage and will have hard time selling it later. I hope Geico total your M (for good).
__________________

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #60
Talk2meg00se
Lieutenant
United_States
10
Rep
496
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

good luck dude. my interactions with geico have been less than favorable. they fight, scrap, and claw over ever last penny. if i were you, i'd be sure to be very diligent when dealing with those people ...
__________________
SSII | Speed cloth | Tint | LCI | 6MT | EDC | MS Stage 2 Intake | 240E + ESS Tune | MS Pulley | OEM GTS Wheels + Michelin Pilot S | MS Spacers | Akrapovic EVO (!) [+CF tips]
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #61
nerwyll@trinityautosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
104
Rep
6,252
Posts


 
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
sorry buddy about this. I hope everything will be fixed.
+1 good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #62
NYCM3ryder
Razzor
United_States
6
Rep
514
Posts

 
Drives: JB E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

ohhhh snap man this happened to me few years ago with a 350z. you probably hydrolocked your engine. even if they get it back running they say it will never be the same. good luck man
__________________

2011 E90, 6 speed, technology package, black 220 rims , EDC, moon roof, matt black grills, matte side grills, 15% carbon tints, carbon fiber M pedals, ACS roof wing, IND painted reflectors, mfest black gloss m3badges, Mfest side window stickers, Tuner MS 15mm spacers, Carbon fiber M foot pedals, MS air filter, RPI air scoops, euro switch mod
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #63
aus
Major General
117
Rep
7,407
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Car insurance covers hydrolocked engines?
I figured it covered flooded cars that were parked.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #64
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
48
Rep
1,349
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.50]
2011 BMW 335i  [3.40]
ahh man that sucks, wish you the best along with all the people who have to deal with this storm.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #65
truths2k05
Banned
United_States
1
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: 11 M3 6 SPD, 12 135i PPK DCT
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Palm Trees And Sun

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
1. Sorry- I'm originally from virginia. I know how brutal rain and flood can be in east coast.
But here in socal, no one knows what brutal rain and flood means. However, Socal people know what the brutal wildfire means instead...

2. Your car wholesale should be somwhere in 30-35k, I think your ride should be a total lose. Even if they fix your M, your ride will show up as flood damage and will have hard time selling it later. I hope Geico total your M (for good).
It shouldn't be a stretch for them to total it. A new engine for the m3 costs 35k, not sure on the remanufactured one.

Living in Florida I can tell you that very few spots had flooding, mostly fallen branches. Hydro locking can happen to anyone, sometimes the puddles are deeper than they seem. Good luck with getting your car back up and running.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #66
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
yeah seriously, next time some dude said they crashed in icy conditions, you can say, you idiot, why would you drive in icy conditions?

If so SoCal dude's car get caught up in a riot, then you can say, you idiot, why you take your car into south central..
That's exactly what I would tell him. You don't drive sports cars in floods, ice/snow, riots, fires, sketchy areas, etc. If you do, you take your chances and you get no sympathy from me when something happens. Sorry if that makes me a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Yes I was driving slow and I was out there because like most people I go to work when it is open.

Geico sent adjuster out and he authorized further diagnosis. They are going to open her up (I assume that means plugs and drain) and I should no by tomorrow if it is salvageable or not. I know the service manager and he said Geico is good to deal with. Adjuster told me they only look at totaling when cost exceeds 80% of value.

If it does need a new engine, I am assuming the costs will be somewhere north of 20k plus any new electrics, and if it is a new engine, add about $7,500k. Anyone know what the wholesale black book value of a 2008 M3 E93 with nav, dct, premium and 37k miles?
You may be lucky then. You didn't describe exactly how the car acted (bad noises, it shut down, you shut it down, etc) but maybe you just fried an important sensor like the crank sensor so it shut down. I know that the early 350Zs had a problem where the CPS would die and the car would just shut down, even at freeway speeds. Maybe something like that happened.

If you hydrolocked the engine and bent the rods, I'd say there is a good chance that it will be totaled.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST