BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

ESS Tuning
Closed Thread

08-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
ILSMKU
BMW FTW

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Parents these days...

So I go to my local Cheever gas station and see a pretty nice looking light blue M3. I see RPI exhaust, HRE P40 wheels and a very young kid standing next to it looking back at mine. I assume its the owners son.

So I'm filling my car up and said kid walks over to me and asks what bumper I have? Bumper??? Its the stock bumper. Do you mean my lip? I tell him what brand it is and now hes asking me if I have a super charger. I ask him if that M3 was his and he says YES???

I'm not kidding guys, this kid looked 14yrs old! I immediately asked him, what do you do for a living to afford such a nice car. He looks at me, smiles and says... "good grades and stuff". I immediately ask him how old he is and he tell me hes only 16yrs old and has only been driving 4 months!!!

I told him, "I don't mean to sound like a dick, but your parents should be ashamed of themselves. No kid should be given a M3 as a first car period". The kid tells me he actually hears that a lot from other people. I would hope so. What is this world coming to?

Even if I was the richest man in the world, my son is going to EARN his car just like I did. By getting a job!! I might loan him a down payment (like 3K for a normal 1st car), but sure as hell am not outright buying him a 60K car for good grades! I'm sorry, but I think that's horrible parenting! Horrible!

I know its becoming the norm these days. But I don't have to like it.

/end of rant

Last edited by ILSMKU; 08-29-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling...
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
      08-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Ghetto2315
Major

Drives: Like I Stole It...

Garage List
Your avatar says that you "love haters!". lol aren't you a hater in this rant of yours?
Ghetto2315 is offline   United_States
      08-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Carl L
Lieutenant

Drives: 09 E92 M3 Jerez/Beige DCT

No problem with a 60-80k car for a kid if the family has the money, but a 414bhp sports coupe is incredibly dangerous in the hands of a 21 year old let alone a 16 year old. A 528 would've been far safer, or a base Range Rover Sport.

If I have a son I'll get him a new first car, but it'll be a Jetta or something else fairly slow but safe.

Still I wouldn't have been mean to the kid, I'd have simply said "be careful."
      08-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
jjw2331
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Was he asian? More specifically, Korean?
      08-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
eVitO
trollololol

Drives: Too slow

Send a message via AIM to eVitO
There's a difference between working hard and deserving. If the kid deserved it w/ his good grades and what not, and if the parents are able to afford it, then why the hell not. To the kid, you sounded like a complete dick, and I'm sure a lot of other people have too.

Granted though, a 400hp car should not be a first car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
eVitO is offline   Ukraine
      08-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
///MMB

Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Garage List
2013 VW Beetle  [0.00]
If you dont like 16yo with M3s deff don't watch this

Has anybody considered that he might have been lying?
      08-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant

Drives: e46 325

a young man driving an m3 is like giving a child a loaded gun. someone is going to get hurt.
      08-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
BMW Fanatic
Banned

Drives: slow

I don't see the reason to disrespect the kid, I really don't. You have put yourself below him IMO. He wasn't trying to show off, he was simply trying to strike up a conversation, so be it that he was confused about the lip/bumper. I can see what you mean about him being young n all but you really killed it with what you said to him.

I don't think I'd wanna tell you I'm 21 and who bought the car for me. Oh snap, you already thought it was my parents. --> sarcasm in truth.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
      08-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVitO View Post
There's a difference between working hard and deserving. If the kid deserved it w/ his good grades and what not, and if the parents are able to afford it, then why the hell not. To the kid, you sounded like a complete dick, and I'm sure a lot of other people have too.

I agree, but even if i could afford it. My kids gonna get a old ass beater even if his old man is rocking a lambo. Gotta teach them while they're young.
      08-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #10
jpan08
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Ninja 300

Hating on the riff raff
      08-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
tibra1
Banned

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

"Well-deserved M3": because I worked hard for my good grades
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
      08-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Red_Baron
M3Post Handyman (LucWERKZ)

Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

I had to work hard for my car like the kid too. I literally had to WALK into the dealership and WRITE them a check. It was exhausting but I did it.
Red_Baron is offline   No_Country
      08-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
ILSMKU
BMW FTW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
Your avatar says that you "love haters!". lol aren't you a hater in this rant of yours?
Takes one to know one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter View Post
No problem with a 60-80k car for a kid if the family has the money, but a 414bhp sports coupe is incredibly dangerous in the hands of a 21 year old let alone a 16 year old. A 528 would've been far safer, or a base Range Rover Sport.

If I have a son I'll get him a new first car, but it'll be a Jetta or something else fairly slow but safe.

Still I wouldn't have been mean to the kid, I'd have simply said "be careful."
I told him upfront I didnt mean to be a dick. Which to me, means Im going to tell you something your not going to like. If he didnt approach me, I wouldnt have said a word to him. My diss was more towards his parents anyhow. And I think he knew dam well he didnt desirve such a car because he tried to justify it by saying his it was all his dads doing. And I actually did tell him to be safe as I walked away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post
Was he asian? More specifically, Korean?
Nope, odd looking scrawny white boy. EDIT: he actually had long braided "rat tail" off the right side of his neck hairline. I havent seen a Rat tail since the 80's
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVitO View Post

I like your last sentence the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
a young man driving an m3 is like giving a child a loaded gun. someone is going to get hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
I don't see the reason to disrespect the kid, I really don't. You have put yourself below him IMO. He wasn't trying to show off, he was simply trying to strike up a conversation, so be it that he was confused about the lip/bumper. I can see what you mean about him being young n all but you really killed it with what you said to him.

I don't think I'd wanna tell you I'm 21 and who bought the car for me. Oh snap, you already thought it was my parents. --> sarcasm in truth.
No offense to you, but I would expect this kind of response from you. If you are in fact 21. I dont see how you could possibly understand parenting at this age of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucewonder View Post
I agree, but even if i could afford it. My kids gonna get a old ass beater even if his old man is rocking a lambo. Gotta teach them while they're young.
Im with you man.

Last edited by ILSMKU; 08-28-2012 at 11:48 PM.
      08-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
哇靠M3
Captain

Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [4.50]
Seen many of these stories.
And to be honest, it's nothing special anymore.

I even see college kids driving Murcielago, Maserati, R8, etc.. Those are much more than a M3.

Don't be jealous because they got rich parents. If my kid makes me proud and had good grades, he'll get an m3 (if i can afford one for him). Makes me proud that my kid is driving a car I dream of driving as a kid.

Oh, and it's not the horsepower that kills someone, it's the stupid actions that they do. Any car can go wrong with anyone.

Hope your not being a "DICK" because your parents didn't buy you the car (instead had to wait til 35+ to own a m3).

Last edited by 哇靠M3; 08-28-2012 at 11:51 PM.
哇靠M3 is offline   Taiwan
      08-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:37:36

Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Takes one to know one!

I told him upfront I didnt mean to be a dick. Which to me, means Im going to tell you something your not going to like. If he didnt approach me, I wouldnt have said a word to him. My diss was more towards his parents anyhow. And I think he knew dam well he didnt desirve such a car because he tried to justify it by saying his it was all his dads doing. And I actually did tell him to be safe as I walked away...

sounds like your 16 also. saying im not trying to be a dick actually means im going to be one now so get ready. it doesnt just excuse what you say after it.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge race pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|SR34|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|Apex studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
      08-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
tibra1
Banned

Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

tibra1 is offline   No_Country
      08-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
ILSMKU
BMW FTW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
sounds like your 16 also. saying im not trying to be a dick actually means im going to be one now so get ready. it doesnt just excuse what you say after it.
Sorry you feel that way. I guess Im a 16yr old dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAHHKAOOM3 View Post

I even see college kids driving Murcielago, Maserati, R8, etc.. Those are much more than a M3. No way in hell they made enough money for those car either @ college age.

Don't be jealous because they got rich parents. If my kid makes me proud and had good grades, he'll get an m3 (if i can afford one for him). Makes me proud that my kid is driving a car I dream of driving as a kid.
Im far from jealous... I can afford a much nicer car than a M3. I can afford to buy my son a much nicer car than a M3.

I refuse to hinder my sons ability to be a man and buy one on his own. You got to pay to play. Getting a free ride is just that. It teaches you NOTHING. You grow up not understanding the value of the dollar. And when kids that parents buy these cars for grow up and actually become adults, they get a swift kick in the head when they realize REAL WORLD life isnt like mommy and daddy made it for them growing up. Unless of course they are still attached to the nipple at 37.
      08-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #18
哇靠M3
Captain

Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Im far from jealous... I can afford a much nicer car than a M3. I can afford to buy my son a much nicer car than a M3.

I refuse to hinder my sons ability to be a man and buy one on his own. You got to pay to play. Getting a free ride is just that. It teaches you NOTHING. You grow up not understanding the value of the dollar. And when kids that parents buy these cars for grow up and actually become adults, they get a swift kick in the head when they realize REAL WORLD life isnt like mommy and daddy made it for them growing up. Unless of course they are still attached to the nipple at 37.
Not trying to sound like a dick, but I "hope your not trying to protect your ego here."

end of rant.

08-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
Edjay
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

I had a 550hp chevelle when I was 16. Thats a whole lot more dangerous than an M3. So I would not have a problem letting my kid drive my cars so long as he shows responsibility. I have seen same amount if 30+y/o act childish in high ho cars.
      08-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #20
ILSMKU
BMW FTW

Garage List
Quote:
Not trying to sound like a dick, but I "hope your not trying to protect your ego here."

end of rant.

HaHa.

You are right though... its nothing special anymore. Its all over where I live so I should just get over it I guess. I just refuse to parent my children this way.
      08-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #21
ILSMKU
BMW FTW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjay View Post
I had a 550hp chevelle when I was 16. Thats a whole lot more dangerous than an M3. So I would not have a problem letting my kid drive my cars so long as he shows responsibility. I have seen same amount if 30+y/o act childish in high ho cars.

To be honest, I think I have more of an issue with the cars cost than the power. You can just as easily kill youself in a 98HP civic. I just cant for the life of me understand why some people think its ok to give your child a 60K+ first car.
      08-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #22
em5464
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

I even see college kids driving Murcielago, Maserati, R8, etc.. Those are much more than a M3.

Oh, and it's not the horsepower that kills someone, it's the stupid actions that they do. Any car can go wrong with anyone.

Hope your not being a "DICK" because your parents didn't buy you the car (instead had to wait til 35+ to own a m3).
You mentioned "it's not the horsepower that kills someone..." well, guess what that "someone" happens to be the number one category causing traffic collisions in America, resulting in approx 40,000 fatalities/yr.

The number one category responsible for most traffic collisions are drivers btwn 16-24 yrs of age. Therefore, there is not many drivers around 16 yrs of age who can responsibly/skillfully handle the power of the M3. Some of the things they're missing at that young age is obviously experience and driving skills. They also have a tendency to negotiate riskier/more dangerous driving maneuvers, many times resulting in traffic collisions.

Bottom-line is that you're preaching the wrong message here. Nobody is jealous over the fact that some no brain kid is driving an M3. It's the whole concept of self responsibility and liability/lack of parental responsibility.

Cheers.
H&R Springs, Rogue SSK, RPI scoops w/ BMC filter
em5464 is offline   United_States
Closed Thread