BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
143
Rep
4,765
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Engine Swaps

I'm curious to see if the BMW people really get their hands dirty. Who here has done a motor swap themselves, [i]not[i] hired a shop? You don't really see BMW people do it with cars after the E36 and jdm people do it all the time for the price of BMW bolt-ons and make double the power or even more so it makes sense to do it in my book. I'm in the middle of doing 2 - an S50 into my E30 for DD use and a 1JZ into my 240 drift car (damn near triple the power of the stock motor for only about $6K).
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
36
Rep
1,940
Posts

 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

iTrader: (0)

I have never swapped a motor, and I'm not really interested in it. I have done some wrenching (oil changes, valve cover gaskets, replaced starters, etc) on older stuff and boats. Now I don't have the time for that stuff, if I want more power its time to buy a car with more power.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
DASHOCKER's Avatar
Germany
34
Rep
1,868
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to DASHOCKER
the bizarro world of jdm and motor swaps..
__________________
2007 335 coupe Alpine white, steptronic, sportpack, etc. (gone)
2006 X3 3.0 steptronic Titanium Silver, 2009 E92 335xdrive, next.... Caddy CTS_V! 13 Lincoln MKZ? hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
3,134
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330i, E86 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I'm curious to see if the BMW people really get their hands dirty. Who here has done a motor swap themselves, [i]not[i] hired a shop? You don't really see BMW people do it with cars after the E36 and jdm people do it all the time for the price of BMW bolt-ons and make double the power or even more so it makes sense to do it in my book. I'm in the middle of doing 2 - an S50 into my E30 for DD use and a 1JZ into my 240 drift car (damn near triple the power of the stock motor for only about $6K).
The major issue with the e46 and e90 is they are OBDII\ with CANBUS and the DME electronic systems. It can be done, but there are MAJOR headaches that need to be taken care of vs. e36 and older.

I seriously looked into doing an LS7 into my car. I was told it'll cost a fortune and that it wouldn't really be worth it in the end due to all the hassles.
e36 with an LS1/6 swaps are quite common. There is one e46 with an LS2 swap in the UK I believe.

Food for thought:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=208
__________________
2006 330i, TSM, Black, Sport, JIC Cross Coil-Overs, UUC Sways, 18" Advan RS, Mich PSS 255/265, BMW Electric Steering Wheel, Rogue shifter, M-Tech front, CF emblems, Dinan TB, Intake, exhaust, strut bar, Stoptech BBK, LSD, M3 susp., LUX 5, CF Hood and CSL, Sparco Seats, AA tune, CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
eVitO
trollololol
eVitO's Avatar
Ukraine
21
Rep
880
Posts

 
Drives: Too slow
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles/UCSD

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to eVitO
Damn, I wish I lived in Tampa and was your friend. I would help you swap engines as soon as you asked lol.

My friend is putting an M50 into an E30 for DD use, but it's taking him quite some time. I haven't had a chance to help yet 'cause his motor is still lying around in his garage and he's kinda lazy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisGuy View Post
god damn that car is nice. i would sell my girlfriend for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
143
Rep
4,765
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVitO View Post
Damn, I wish I lived in Tampa and was your friend. I would help you swap engines as soon as you asked lol.

My friend is putting an M50 into an E30 for DD use, but it's taking him quite some time. I haven't had a chance to help yet 'cause his motor is still lying around in his garage and he's kinda lazy.
Lol my friend is doing the same and is too lazy and is taking forever as well. What sucks about the M50/2 and S50/2 swaps is that the oil pans are so damn low and are 1-piece cast aluminum so you either have to use a crazy heavy skid plate or not lower it that much.
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
eVitO
trollololol
eVitO's Avatar
Ukraine
21
Rep
880
Posts

 
Drives: Too slow
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles/UCSD

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to eVitO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Lol my friend is doing the same and is too lazy and is taking forever as well. What sucks about the M50/2 and S50/2 swaps is that the oil pans are so damn low and are 1-piece cast aluminum so you either have to use a crazy heavy skid plate or not lower it that much.
I didn't know that... I doubt he'll dump it though... He has a 6mt C230 that he dumped the shit out of already.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisGuy View Post
god damn that car is nice. i would sell my girlfriend for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
why dont you leave him a love note on the car -- with hearts and shit

lol - seriously tho -- I find notes on my car sometimes -- but it's NEVER from girls -- -- damm M3 is a ghey magnet
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,708
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

I'll stick my chest out.

Not done a BMW motor swap as I have no need to. I do do all my own maintenance including clutch replacements, head replacements, seat rebuilds, halfshaft replacements, blah, blah, blah.

In 1981 I replaced the engine in my 1972 Pinto with a used engine (I had a spare). It was late January and about 20 degrees outside, on a gravel driveway. Do I earn my stripes? It was after all the German Ford 2.0L.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Mueller944s2
Private
United_States
0
Rep
98
Posts

 
Drives: '90 Porsche 941, Z4 Roadster
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (0)

My dad and I have done two together, engines built elsewhere but we put them in/took them out, we do all the dirty work (and clean work) on our cars. NO idiot mechanic ever touches our cars unless it's for an alignment, even the specialists mess it up. If you want it done right, you do it yourself. We're not BMW guys though, all the work is Porsche. The BMW didn't come along until a year ago when my dad bought it for my mom. Luckily everything on the BMW is SOOO easy to work on so it doesn't cause any problems!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST