BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
djt511
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mi

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Winter Tire Fitment? Blizzak LM60

Hello all,

I put this in the rub/no rub thread but received no answer.

Do you think these used tires will work, they are about 75 percent tread life for a really good deal from my buddy.


2009 e92 M3
Wheels: 220M
Suspension: Stock

Tires: LM60

245/40/19 Front (fitment in question)
275/35/19 Rear

Front tires have about 9/32 tread left.

Thanks for the input!
djt511 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
slicer
38
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (18)

No. Too big. You need 245/35 or 255/35 for the front.
__________________
ALL PARTS FOR SALE (click links) -
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, Mode Carbon GTS Wing, BBS E05 (18x10/11), BMW Pedals Billet Extended DCT Paddles, Advan TC3 (9.5/10.5), Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets
slicer is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
happos2
11
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,178
iTrader: (3)

Why such fat winter tires? They might be a good deal, but spend the money and get skinnier tires for winter! As for the actual OP question...I am too new to know.
happos2 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
BMW Fanatic
33
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

Get in touch with Ben@TireRack, you will be better off buying a set of A7 Sport Edition rims and Blizzak WS60 tires. Who cares if they don't look too aesthetically pleasing. Way safer IMO.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
slicer
38
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Get in touch with Ben@TireRack, you will be better off buying a set of A7 Sport Edition rims and Blizzak WS60 tires. Who cares if they don't look too aesthetically pleasing. Way safer IMO.
I would not recommend getting Sport Edition wheels (cheap, ugly, not durable). The best bank for the buck is buying a set of OEM 18's from the for-sale section. They are BBS (high quality) and look good. Why spend 6 months of the year on cheap, ugly wheels? I would also consider apex or VMR's (based on reputation - I do not have experience with either). My next winter wheels (if/when we move back to the midwest ) will probably be 18 x 9.5 apex's with 255/40/18 snows (on all 4 wheels).
__________________
ALL PARTS FOR SALE (click links) -
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, Mode Carbon GTS Wing, BBS E05 (18x10/11), BMW Pedals Billet Extended DCT Paddles, Advan TC3 (9.5/10.5), Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets
slicer is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
BMW Fanatic
33
Banned
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary

Posts: 3,314
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I would not recommend getting Sport Edition wheels (cheap, ugly, not durable). The best bank for the buck is buying a set of OEM 18's from the for-sale section. They are BBS (high quality) and look good. Why spend 6 months of the year on cheap, ugly wheels? I would also consider apex or VMR's (based on reputation - I do not have experience with either). My next winter wheels (if/when we move back to the midwest ) will probably be 18 x 9.5 apex's with 255/40/18 snows (on all 4 wheels).
All opinions are subjective. The whole set w/premium WS70 Blizzaks will run $1,164, compared to buying the OEM rims, ballpark $1500? Then you are down to only 2 tire choices in the recommended 255/40/18; Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 ($1,200) or Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D ($1,064). I'm the last guy that will say don't cheap out on parts but a deal is still a deal, and there isn't a single post I have ever seen on here that says the wheels have cracked, bent or straight up snapped in half. Also, 235/40/18 on A7 is a much better option in winter than the 255/40/18, the wider your tire is the more surface area it has to cover to get through the snow/ice in the first place which can be a major problem. Like I said every opinion is subjective and after moving to Calgary in 2009 from the UK, I'd say no state or province has it worse than us, not by a long shot.

Last edited by BMW Fanatic; 08-27-2012 at 11:59 AM.
BMW Fanatic is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
djt511
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mi

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

I have already decided on using the OEM 220M wheels, just wanted to know if the tires would fit. I am Thanks all.
djt511 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
CSanto
18
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,883
iTrader: (1)

I am running Blizzak LM60s on OEM 220M wheels. Front tires Size is 255/35 Front, 265/35 Rear

Perfect fitment, no rubbing no issues, they work great in the snowy/cold weather conditions.
CSanto is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
slicer
38
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
All opinions are subjective. The whole set w/premium WS70 Blizzaks will run $1,164, compared to buying the OEM rims, ballpark $1500? Then you are down to only 2 tire choices in the recommended 255/40/18; Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 ($1,200) or Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D ($1,064). I'm the last guy that will say don't cheap out on parts but a deal is still a deal, and there isn't a single post I have ever seen on here that says the wheels have cracked, bent or straight up snapped in half. Also, 235/40/18 on A7 is a much better option in winter than the 255/40/18, the wider your tire is the more surface area it has to cover to get through the snow/ice in the first place which can be a major problem. Like I said every opinion is subjective and after moving to Calgary in 2009 from the UK, I'd say no state or province has it worse than us, not by a long shot.
Agreed - we all have our opinions and I will admit that I am a bit of a wheel snob. I just don't see the point of putting cheap parts on such a great car. Narrower is better in the snow but I am willing to sacrifice a small amount of snow-day performance in order to have something that looks decent and performs better on the days when it's not snowing. I don't know about your climate, but in MN, which is one of the worst winter locations in the US, it doesn't snow every day, more like 20 days a year at most. And only a few of those have major accumulation. I ran 265 snows on the rear of my car and only had problems on days when the accumulation was greater than my ground clearance - making the car a snow-plow. I don't know that any tire can overcome that level of friction. Lastly, a used set of OEM 18's can be bought for +/- $800. I just sold mine with snows for $900.... (rear snows were worn out).
__________________
ALL PARTS FOR SALE (click links) -
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, Mode Carbon GTS Wing, BBS E05 (18x10/11), BMW Pedals Billet Extended DCT Paddles, Advan TC3 (9.5/10.5), Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets
slicer is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
ambroses
0
New Member
 
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan White/Black
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Howell, Mi

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

I am also running the LM60s on OEM 220M wheels, but with 235/35s in the front and 265/35s in the rear. They work fine but I don't like the stretched look of the 235s in the front and will be changing them out for the 255s.
ambroses is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
boi222
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

I was recommend the following for the avant garde 359 set with LM60 by one of sponsor..Is there anything wrong with this recommend size? I see everyone here saying the /40s will not clear the front

- 18"x8.5" ET15mm Front 245/40/18
- 18"x9.5" ET22mm Rear 275/35/18
__________________
'12 M3 coupe
'09 335xi coupe AW/M-Sport/Nav/Premium/Cold/Sirus
'07 328xi coupe AW/Black Aluminum/Premium
boi222 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
M3pnoy
5
Lieutenant
 
M3pnoy's Avatar
 
Drives: Amuse W/B s2000, A/W 08 M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bergen County, NJ

Posts: 502
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djt511 View Post
Hello all,

I put this in the rub/no rub thread but received no answer.

Do you think these used tires will work, they are about 75 percent tread life for a really good deal from my buddy.


2009 e92 M3
Wheels: 220M
Suspension: Stock

Tires: LM60

245/40/19 Front (fitment in question)
275/35/19 Rear

Front tires have about 9/32 tread left.

Thanks for the input!
I ran this setup on ag 359 wheels, and only rubbed on full turns on inner wheel well, but i was slammed on kw's. I think
if u were stock height, you should be fine.
__________________
M3pnoy is offline   Philippines
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
djt511
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mi

Posts: 30
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3pnoy View Post
I ran this setup on ag 359 wheels, and only rubbed on full turns on inner wheel well, but i was slammed on kw's. I think
if u were stock height, you should be fine.
except your front wheel was probably a 19x9 making it a little wider for the tire to stretch more.
djt511 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST