BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #23
smmmurf
Colonel
32
Rep
2,113
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

iTrader: (7)

zzz... your car is a far superior machine, forget about it
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #24
M5280RCR
Private First Class
2
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Resurrecting an old old thread here...2 years later. Just though you all might like an update.

I kept my E92 M2 (and E34 M5); and very happy I did. but....

I have an ESS 625 showing up next Friday, ESS x-pipe, and not sure what to do about the muffler yet. May do high performance rod bearings as well. Yahoo!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
Alex07M3
Colonel
26
Rep
2,117
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5280RCR
Resurrecting an old old thread here...2 years later. Just though you all might like an update.

I kept my E92 M2 (and E34 M5); and very happy I did. but....

I have an ESS 625 showing up next Friday, ESS x-pipe, and not sure what to do about the muffler yet. May do high performance rod bearings as well. Yahoo!
It's about time you get that supercharger!! lol
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, KW V3s, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #26
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
74
Rep
3,664
Posts


 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
edit- smart move on the blower
__________________
AUTOcouture Motoring | 15-01 Pollitt Drive St. 6, Fair Lawn NJ 07410
201.666.3500 | Alex@autocouturemotoring.com
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #27
M5280RCR
Private First Class
2
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

ESS 625 (and mid-pipe) installed, in one word, Awesome!

Best $10k I ever spent.....but now:

Wider wheels
BBK
Muffler
Suspension

...or keep it as a "sleeper M3"
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #28
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,794
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5280RCR View Post
ESS 625 (and mid-pipe) installed, in one word, Awesome!

Best $10k I ever spent.....but now:

Wider wheels
BBK
Muffler
Suspension

...or keep it as a "sleeper M3"
Congrats.

You do not need a BBK unless you track the car at a very fast track.

You also do not need wider tires. It's the type of tire that is most important. I have found that for daily driving, The Michelin PSS, Nitto NT05, and Toyo R888 are all fantastic (I have them all). The last two are even good track tires. But the PSS are better if you don't visit the track. Basically you want a tire that grips in all conditions. Many other tires are good, but only in certain circumstances. Then there are tires like the RS3's which are only good when hot and when moving laterally. I could not get traction ever with them and ditched them after a month of spinning in every gear.

Muffler - depends on what sound you are after.

Suspension - stock suspension is fantastic. Add camber plates and corner balance alignment if you track. Then when you start getting lap times that amaze the instructors its time to get suspension mods.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #29
M5280RCR
Private First Class
2
Rep
127
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Congrats.

You do not need a BBK unless you track the car at a very fast track.

You also do not need wider tires. It's the type of tire that is most important. I have found that for daily driving, The Michelin PSS, Nitto NT05, and Toyo R888 are all fantastic (I have them all). The last two are even good track tires. But the PSS are better if you don't visit the track. Basically you want a tire that grips in all conditions. Many other tires are good, but only in certain circumstances. Then there are tires like the RS3's which are only good when hot and when moving laterally. I could not get traction ever with them and ditched them after a month of spinning in every gear.

Muffler - depends on what sound you are after.

Suspension - stock suspension is fantastic. Add camber plates and corner balance alignment if you track. Then when you start getting lap times that amaze the instructors its time to get suspension mods.
LB,

I may track the car here and there (like once or twice a year), but if I come across a good deal I might add a BBK.

I am thinking of just bumping up my Michelin PSS by 10mm (255/f and 275/r) and seeing what that does for me before going wider on the wheel...but I am having a hard time getting all of that power to the ground with my worn PSS 265's in the rear.

Muffler: garage is right below my kids rooms, and my wife said she won't bitch about the SC if it doesn't make the neighbors look at me funny, and I need to be somewhat professional when I pull up to clients. Short story, I am not looking for noise, but I wouldn't mind a more exotic sound, and I do like the looks of bigger pipes....but for $2k (used Eis, MPE, or Arka) I don't know.

I am a ways off from having to worry about suspension.

Thanks for your advice.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #30
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,794
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5280RCR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Congrats.

You do not need a BBK unless you track the car at a very fast track.

You also do not need wider tires. It's the type of tire that is most important. I have found that for daily driving, The Michelin PSS, Nitto NT05, and Toyo R888 are all fantastic (I have them all). The last two are even good track tires. But the PSS are better if you don't visit the track. Basically you want a tire that grips in all conditions. Many other tires are good, but only in certain circumstances. Then there are tires like the RS3's which are only good when hot and when moving laterally. I could not get traction ever with them and ditched them after a month of spinning in every gear.

Muffler - depends on what sound you are after.

Suspension - stock suspension is fantastic. Add camber plates and corner balance alignment if you track. Then when you start getting lap times that amaze the instructors its time to get suspension mods.
LB,

I may track the car here and there (like once or twice a year), but if I come across a good deal I might add a BBK.

I am thinking of just bumping up my Michelin PSS by 10mm (255/f and 275/r) and seeing what that does for me before going wider on the wheel...but I am having a hard time getting all of that power to the ground with my worn PSS 265's in the rear.

Muffler: garage is right below my kids rooms, and my wife said she won't bitch about the SC if it doesn't make the neighbors look at me funny, and I need to be somewhat professional when I pull up to clients. Short story, I am not looking for noise, but I wouldn't mind a more exotic sound, and I do like the looks of bigger pipes....but for $2k (used Eis, MPE, or Arka) I don't know.

I am a ways off from having to worry about suspension.

Thanks for your advice.

Dave
I think the PSS 255f/275r is a great choice. That's what I daily with. I have even tracked with that combo and it was ok in the winter but dangerous in the warmer months since the PSS break down very quickly when hot. Also, I noticed that mine started to spin a lot when the rear tread got down to 3/32nd thickness so that may be what you are experiencing now with your old 265's.

Also should have mentioned that I have beat on my car now for 20.000 miles (s/c installed at 800 miles) and I haven't had one issue. Not even a minor issue. Not even one CEL or hiccup. For someone like me who doesn't know how to work on cars, the ESS blower has been phenomenal.

One other thing is that given the situation with where your garage is, you may want to ask ESS about a cold start delete file. The cold start is very loud, particularly with an aftermarket muffler. In terms of which one to get, yes great idea you can pick up a lot of terrific pre-owned mufflers from this site. Since they don't add any power, go with sound preference. I went with Akra because it's very light, eliminates rasp, gets rid of that "hanging diaper" look from the rear, and because it's titanium it sounds incredible. I've heard every exhaust for the M3 at WOT since I attend race events and modded M3's are pretty popular. Obviously sound is subjective but the Akra still does it for me.

Have fun with the blower and be safe
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #31
modkrazy
Captain
modkrazy's Avatar
12
Rep
953
Posts

 
Drives: m3
Join Date: May 2014
Location: tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Congrats.

You do not need a BBK unless you track the car at a very fast track.

You also do not need wider tires. It's the type of tire that is most important. I have found that for daily driving, The Michelin PSS, Nitto NT05, and Toyo R888 are all fantastic (I have them all). The last two are even good track tires. But the PSS are better if you don't visit the track.
OMG, thank you! You are like my favorite person of the day for making that statement. Everyone just LLOOOOOOOOVVVESSSS the PSS tires, and while I agree they are excellent, once they are down to 2/3-1/2 tread, they lose a huge chunk of their grip. Fantastic tires for street, but for that application I've found the Potenza S-04's to have 95% of the performance, while lasting longer and costing ~$300 less per set.

I always liked Yoko AD-08 for track.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #32
Longboarder
Brigadier General
65
Rep
3,794
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
OMG, thank you! You are like my favorite person of the day for making that statement. Everyone just LLOOOOOOOOVVVESSSS the PSS tires, and while I agree they are excellent, once they are down to 2/3-1/2 tread, they lose a huge chunk of their grip. Fantastic tires for street, but for that application I've found the Potenza S-04's to have 95% of the performance, while lasting longer and costing ~$300 less per set.

I always liked Yoko AD-08 for track.
Yeah the PSS start at 9.5mm depth which is a lot for a performance tire but once they hit 5/32 to 4/32 I start getting traction issues and by 3/32 they are like driving on ice. So I only get about 5,000 miles on them. lol My NT05's last longer. Still have good grip after 4,000 miles and four track days.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST