BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #243
hipvspec
Lieutenant
 
hipvspec's Avatar
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calii

Posts: 546
iTrader: (1)

Glad he's okay. Who doesn't make mistakes? Feel sorry for the car though. Sounds so good before it died.
__________________
hipvspec is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #244
dasGuttenM3
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Z4, M3, F30, F10
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

better himself than involving another driver or taking out a pedestrian ....poor M3..I really dont feel sorry him at all..I made stupid mistakes just like that when I was that age, but with cars worth $3K
dasGuttenM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #245
melloww22
Lieutenant
 
melloww22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i E90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 572
iTrader: (1)

Some advice...

Requirement: Know the limitations of your skills and your vehicle. Do not go all out if you are not experience!!

Steps to having a great time at a track...

1. Scope the track/road at low/normal speeds
2. Determine the risk factors of the track/road
3. Determine a safe cornering and speed
4. Execute your first run at a safe speed
5. Increase your speed gradually on the sections where your vehicle has the most control and grip on the road
6. Exercise wear and tear of your vehicles tires and adjust driving accordingly
7. Practice good breaking technique
8. Practice mature seating posture
9. Practice stable steering wheel grip (Do not over grip, one hand, or loose hold)
10. Know your gears and it's shifting points
11. Always wear a seatbelt/safety hardness
12. Never attempt a maneuver on a track you haven't done at low speeds on a flat wide surface
13. Practice, Practice, Practice

Feel bad for the car, the owner made so many mistakes... His car was SOL when he put on the camera and hit the gas to show of to the masses...
melloww22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #246
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

he finished like a boss
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #247
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
 
Triple M's Avatar
 
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vegas Baby!

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

I think everyone has point. Even most experience driver crash. A crash is a crash, but then again there are crashes that are just plain irresponsible. I guess insurance & rental companies know what they are doing when mandate high premiums. The statics have always been accurate in that aspect. They are just plain too serious to play with. I'm just glad he's ok

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzlg3oQMze4
Triple M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #248
shaginwagon13
Charted Accountant
 
shaginwagon13's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 903
iTrader: (4)

'....until I came up on a deceptive corner, misjudged it and it happened.'


haha that corner looked pretty straight forward to me.
shaginwagon13 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #249
stevenjack88
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
'....until I came up on a deceptive corner, misjudged it and it happened.'


haha that corner looked pretty straight forward to me.

Yeah. It looked like he didn't even steer into the corner.
stevenjack88 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #250
Pentium
Lieutenant
 
Pentium's Avatar
 
Drives: E36, E60, E53, E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tartous

Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjack88 View Post
Yeah. It looked like he didn't even steer into the corner.
I think he's just being COOL
__________________
The Best Is Yet To Come!
Pentium is offline   Syria
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #251
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,063
iTrader: (1)

Ouch!

I do feel bad for the kid. I'm sure he wasn't expecting his lack of skill to bite him the way it did.
That's the thing with young adults, they think they are bullet proof AND they know everything.

I'm sure there are young drivers who are more cautious, and have better driving skills. As well, there are older drivers who have been driving for decades and their driving skills still suck.

Let's keep perspective here. This accident involves a young driver in a very capable sporty coupe. IMO, the biggest safety feature is a car that has great braking, steering, and handling. The M3 here, qualifies.
The problem is the driver, as everyone here knows.

The kid needs to do himself a favor and realize what happened and why it happened. Claiming the turn was tricky may help protect his feelings, but it sure won't help him learn what he did wrong.
The problem started when he first got in the M3.
As others have observed, the kid doesn't know how to properly set up his driving position, which would allow him to have better control of the vehicle.
He is holding his upper body up with his hands/arms while steering at the same time. NO, that doesn't not work for the best position for best control.
Listen to his throttle control, or lack thereof. He treats it like an on/off switch, NO control at all.
It's just all wrong. This video should be used to demonstrate to young drivers in training what they should NOT do.

BTW, I don't see any drop or bump large enough to have caused the front end to lighten so much as to make steering ineffective.
One poster earlier said it, 'target fixation'. Youngster saw the big and tall rock sitting in his line of sight and fixated on it rather than the road, and BAM!
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #252
m33
Banned
 
m33's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 2,697
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Ouch!

I do feel bad for the kid. I'm sure he wasn't expecting his lack of skill to bite him the way it did.
That's the thing with young adults, they think they are bullet proof AND they know everything.

I'm sure there are young drivers who are more cautious, and have better driving skills. As well, there are older drivers who have been driving for decades and their driving skills still suck.

Let's keep perspective here. This accident involves a young driver in a very capable sporty coupe. IMO, the biggest safety feature is a car that has great braking, steering, and handling. The M3 here, qualifies.
The problem is the driver, as everyone here knows.

The kid needs to do himself a favor and realize what happened and why it happened. Claiming the turn was tricky may help protect his feelings, but it sure won't help him learn what he did wrong.
The problem started when he first got in the M3.
As others have observed, the kid doesn't know how to properly set up his driving position, which would allow him to have better control of the vehicle.
He is holding his upper body up with his hands/arms while steering at the same time. NO, that doesn't not work for the best position for best control.
Listen to his throttle control, or lack thereof. He treats it like an on/off switch, NO control at all.
It's just all wrong. This video should be used to demonstrate to young drivers in training what they should NOT do.

BTW, I don't see any drop or bump large enough to have caused the front end to lighten so much as to make steering ineffective.
One poster earlier said it, 'target fixation'. Youngster saw the big and tall rock sitting in his line of sight and fixated on it rather than the road, and BAM!
Take a close look at the video a real close look, and you will see that he steered left but the car went air born just enough for him to hit the rock head on a side note there are plenty on dips on the road he was traveling on.
m33 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #253
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
 
michaelthepsycho's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 1,632
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
Take a close look at the video a real close look, and you will see that he steered left but the car went air born just enough for him to hit the rock head on a side note there are plenty on dips on the road he was traveling on.
He did not steer enough. That corner required more steering and he straightened out.
__________________
FS: 335i Non-sport Springs , My car
2011 BMW 335i Step - Montego Blue / Chestnut Brown
michaelthepsycho is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #254
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack

Posts: 1,644
iTrader: (3)

If he had known the road he would have done his steering earlier before the crest. After the crest theres no steering to be done especially at that speed
quads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #255
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,084
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
If he had known the road he would have done his steering earlier before the crest. After the crest theres no steering to be done especially at that speed
Yeah, car was understeering, had no front grip
__________________

M3 Sedan LCI - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #256
Blindside_137
Major General
 
Blindside_137's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC // Blacksburg, VA

Posts: 5,164
iTrader: (1)

I love how most people are calling out the kid as being a terrible driver (which I agree with) but I find it laughable how many people on the forum think he wasn't steering into the corner... hint hint understeer
__________________
M3 Edition Grilles|Painted Reflectors|Matte Black Vinyl Window Trim|CF Performance Spoiler|35% Tint|19" Satin Black Avant Garde M359|Lux H8 V3
OEM Aero Lip|M3 Side Skirts|LCI Tails|M-tech Rear|Duke Dynamics CF Performance|Cyba 4.0 Black Chrome
Blindside_137 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #257
mleedom
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2008 550i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Exactly, he never should have been driving that car. He obviously doesn't respect it and it's capabilities. I'm not saying all young kids are bad drivers but I am willing to say most of them are not experienced enough to handle a car like this.

If your going to race around at those speeds on a public back road you better know it like the back of your hand. But kids just think that far ahead most of the time.
mleedom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #258
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,766
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
You have to admit, he would have been much better off in an X5M.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #259
zsapphire7
Colonel
 
zsapphire7's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 2,289
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
I love how most people are calling out the kid as being a terrible driver (which I agree with) but I find it laughable how many people on the forum think he wasn't steering into the corner... hint hint understeer
+1, really shows how much people know about driving when the car is losing control
zsapphire7 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #260
red-sauerkraut
.
 
red-sauerkraut's Avatar
 
Drives: x-car/m-car
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: northern hemisphere

Posts: 3,625
iTrader: (0)

Good Lord, now that's what we need is this 11 year old with 555hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
You have to admit, he would have been much better off in an X5M.
red-sauerkraut is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #261
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,766
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Good Lord, now that's what we need is this 11 year old with 555hp.
He could have kept going straight and got back on the road when the road curved back to the right.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #262
M_I_K_E
Enlisted Member
 
M_I_K_E's Avatar
 
Drives: 09E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Look to your left

Posts: 42
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
Take a close look at the video a real close look, and you will see that he steered left but the car went air born just enough for him to hit the rock head on a side note there are plenty on dips on the road he was traveling on.
+1^. After seeing the video a couple of times, rewinding and pausing; I can easily tell that the car was airborne coming off of the crest while the driver was turning the wheel to the left. The car did not turn or couldn't turn for this obvious reason. The steering wheel was being turned to the left as he approaches the crest (meaning he saw the turn coming), came off the crest, went airborne= no grip.
M_I_K_E is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #263
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
 
MDyDinanM's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,085
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
__________________
Retired: '06 BMW E46 ///M3
Current: '08 BMW E60 DINAN ///M5, Interlagos Blue, SMG
DINAN Stage 2 Suspension, Exhaust, Stage III Software, Front strut braces,
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
MDyDinanM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #264
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,464
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
Preach!
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
go pro, go pro suction cup

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST