BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

ESS Tuning

08-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
bretster
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Rattling Clutch Noise?

Hey guys,

Whenever I depress the clutch it sounds like its going to break lol. It's kind of like a rattling noise, happens everytime I'm pressing the clutch down when slowing down. Can't hear it between shifting gears going up or down, only when coming to a near stop.

I've had the car for 3k miles, it's been doing it since I bought it. Previous owner had it for 10k miles before me and he said it's been doing it since he had the car as well. Any ideas?

Here's a video of the sound. Right as the video turns from 2 to 3 seconds, it's a bit of a rattle.

Conversation in the video goes:
- "Nobody else is doing it huh"
-"Nope"

As the guy responds nope, the car makes the sound. If you guys need another video i will but it's driving me crazy lol

Thanks fellas
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
raywong
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E92M3

I have the exact same noise so guess its normal. Everyone here will tell you "it's normal, you have a race car". I have had many race cars and most don't make that kind of sound, unless something's broken... The gt3rs don't even make that much noise. Try this, put it in 1 st gear, go very slow, press the clutch pedal down quickly, you will hear the sound of Donald duck stepping on the rake.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Both my 135i and my M3 did/do this. Annoying? Yeah. Something to worry about? No.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Yeah - sounds like it's falling to bits. I worried about it until I was lucky to find a guy at the gym with the exact same car. He let me drive his round the car park and I worried no more. It is a bit crap though.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
m3an
Banned
Rep

Drives: M3

TOB rattle
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
bretster
Major
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Cool, good to know! Never drove a manual car with that noise so I was a bit worried but glad to know its cool
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Yoyoman
Private
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3/E92 JB

Mine does the same thing. 2009 E92 bought new, started noticing it after couple months of ownership. 3 years later w 60000km w/o any issues, have learned to live with it by adjusting the timing when I press the clutch when the car slows down. I know you all said its normal for this MT, but does anyone know where the sound is coming from, clutch, diff....? and how the sound is created?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyoman View Post
Mine does the same thing. 2009 E92 bought new, started noticing it after couple months of ownership. 3 years later w 60000km w/o any issues, have learned to live with it by adjusting the timing when I press the clutch when the car slows down. I know you all said its normal for this MT, but does anyone know where the sound is coming from, clutch, diff....? and how the sound is created?

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontid View Post
TOB rattle

yes, re-read thread... Completely normal noise.. Even the manual states that this M car will make all sorts of whirs and clunks typical with a car of this caliber. Anyone who drives a stick shift should know what a little TOB rattle is. Is it louder in some than others, yes. People are just too pre-disposed to think that a BMW shouldn't make any noises at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
m3an
Banned
Rep

also known to be annoying is the driveline clunk and slow speed diff noises in parking lots.

The driveline thump (most noticeable when putting car in gear quickly from a stop) can be alleviated by pressing the clutch in and waiting a second to put in gear
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
e92m3allday
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3 - 6mt

I used to have that same issue when I first got my car and it took me a month or two to figure out why. It would piss me the fuck off. I realized that it happens when you push the clutch in pretty quickly. I learned through experience that when I push the clutch in smoothly and slowly, it doesn't happen. You really only have to slowly reach point of engagement,and the rest you can just push in quick. Try it.

Pretty interesting how everyone I ever spoke to about this never figured it out that it was simply you depressing the clutch quickly. Hasn't happened to me in like 10 months now.

Maybe its because the light flywheel?

------------
Appreciate 0