BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #331
swamp2
Major General

Drives: E92 M3

^ Double posting is not looked on too favorably. Neither spot was really a good place for your question. These threads were old and pretty dead. Post a new topic for this type of question.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
swamp2 is offline   United_States
      11-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #332
aus
Major General

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
Can anyone here tell me if they have ever heard of a problem with MORR wheels?
I've had MORR wheels on a 335 for 4 years now without any problems.
Been to the track with them a few times too.
I still wish they'd get some form of certification.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      01-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #333
inandout
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 4 Rings

http://www.luxury4play.com/wheels-ti...r-product.html

More drama.

01-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #334
aus
Major General

Holy crap. Those wheels are DANGEROUS!!!
Thanks for posting.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      01-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #335
M3SQRD
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by inandout View Post
DAMN Glad none of the wheels failed while you, or family/friends, were in the car!!

How many miles are on these wheels?
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
      01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #336
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, 2012 ML350

Garage List
Over about 8 years I've put 2 sets of RAC Monolites (1-piece forged in Japan and JWL certified) through a lot of street abuse on my m3 and have total confidence in them. They remain true and balanced. Finding good forged wheels for SUVs is much harder. And most SUV owners don't seem to have a clue about quality. The extra cost for quality wheels is worth it to me.
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
      01-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #337
Brucewonder
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 yea boi

beats the shiet outa me why anyone would puts those cheap ugly wheels on such a higher end car. My cheap Rota wheels on my hondas back in 1997 are built better.
      01-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #338
inandout
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 4 Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Holy crap. Those wheels are DANGEROUS!!!
Thanks for posting.
And right as when this Vossen vs Vossen Forged confusion was getting weird, the admin closes the thread.
      01-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #339
aus
Major General

Vossen is very popular on the 5 F10 site here and on 6speed.

Where's he Vossen vs. Vossen Forged thread?
      01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #340
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Forged or not, wheels shouldn't do that.
      01-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #341
P1et
Colonel

Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i

So did everyone just give up on trying to get ADV.1 to post their TUV certifications? I just went through 17 pages and never saw them posted.

Not that I'm surprised, just wondering.
      01-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #342
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
So did everyone just give up on trying to get ADV.1 to post their TUV certifications? I just went through 17 pages and never saw them posted.

Not that I'm surprised, just wondering.
They just wait until threads die...a sweeping under the rug effect.
      01-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #343
P1et
Colonel

Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
They just wait until threads die...a sweeping under the rug effect.
Good thing we brought it back!
      02-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #344
mpm3
Captain

Drives: 2007 M coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW M coupe  [5.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
just read threw all this very interesting alot of LOL/ FAil Moments Thank you M3 post gave me a good night
      02-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #345
Kwando
Captain

Drives: Yes

My head hurts after reading that thread. BBS or bust.
      02-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #346
Skunk

Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
[font=Arial][color="#A9A9A9"]
This is just poor design with fundamental engineering flaws which make this dangerous. I'll talk about it below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillegal View Post
I think somewhere (either in this thread or a similar one) it has been mentioned that not every wheel is TUV certified because that would be extremely expensive. You do not need to test every offset, rim size etc. as long as for each style (or similar enough styles), at least one wheel is tested. FEA can (assuming you know what you're doing) reasonably test the other sizes/offsets. Arguably, rim to rim, the amount of material and method in which they are produced does not vary greatly. As long as one rim passes certification, it does lend greatly to the notion that all rims produced by that manufacturer should also pass.

On the other hand, if a manufacturer has zero certifications, there are no ways to assess if ANY of its wheels are safe. Therefore third-party verification is necessary.

I don't think it's misleading, but rather that a lot people are not very bright. 6>0
Okay, so as phillegal kindly pointed out, FEA can reasonably test a design so long as it is performed correctly. What I see from ADV.1 is a design that is very difficult to test. I have a feeling that ADV.1 did not do any sort of analysis on the bolts, because they are clearly in a single shear at the threads of the bolt. Therefore there are huge stress concentrations within the bolts and unless they are dramatically oversized (and some applications do compromise on this, it just has to be accounted for) they will be susceptible to shearing off. Whoever designs their wheels does not understand the basic design principles for fasteners.

Furthermore, the load paths look horrible. I get that people want a certain "look" to their car, but you can honestly make a better design in areas that aren't so visible so you have more direct loading through the spokes and not putting a relatively flat piece of metal in torsion.

And getting back to the second part of phillegal's comment: people value honestly and transparency. If you try to skirt around an issue, you aren't helping yourself. If you are upfront with what your situation is and doing to improve/remedy it, people will not hold that against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
If you look carefully the "certified" wheel on the right bounces much more than the one on the left. Ie the bed which the fake wheel sits on is more rigid whilst the one on the right is not. Therefore the load put on the fake wheel is greater. Less movement of the bed means greater forces put on the wheel itself.
No, it doesn't mean that. The wheel on the right has higher crystalline refinement, if not being a better alloy in the first place, and therefore the stress-strain curve would go much higher. This would mean that more of the load put into the wheel would stay in the elastic region which would spring back in the opposite direction (think of the wheel acting as a spring) to both the wheel and impact device, rather than have the energy being dissipated through plastic deformation and even fracturing.

If you want a visual representation of this:
[u2b]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/rOEBR3DcqN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/u2b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Forged or not, wheels shouldn't do that.
Yes. Forgings just have better crystalline grain refinement and allows for less material to be used if the grain in the direction of the loading, etc. But you can still mess it up, just as you can mess up a cast wheel. You really need to know how to engineer something to make a good product, given what materials and tools you have. And for a lot of these smaller companies, it's probably just one or two people designing all of their wheels; so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that if one wheel has issues, the others will as well, no matter how they were formed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db71 View Post
I could tell you how tire size and offset add or subtract from the test standard also. I will say it does not take a degreed engineer to make wheels that pass tests. That would be like saying its takes an architect to build a house.
Half-truth...yes, a person can very well learn that wasn't taught to them in school. That still doesn't mean I'd trust just anybody with the design of a house...I'm in California near a fault line, I don't give a crap about an architect; I want to make sure the house is soundly built by a civil engineer who is a certified Professional Engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesis View Post
My intention is to help the community better understand engineering and to take it seriously. My concerns are for the community and not me personally so feel free to respond on this thread so everyone can benefit from your response.

BUYER'S BEWARE: It is your responsibility to be informed and make an educated decision on your wheels purchase. There are a lot of wheel companies out there. Make sure you purchase your wheels from a company where wheels are engineered, designed, tested and certified and are transparent about it. Where a quality/testing certificate can be issued upon request. Pricing does not determine quality. The most expensive could be the worst, and more affordable ones could actually be better.
Very, very true. People come on here to learn about what to do and what not to do. I'll comment where I have expertise and experience and hope people can make the most of it.

And I'm just including the second part because I think that message needs to be emphasized.

Last edited by Skunk; 02-02-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Trying to get the youtube video to properly embed
      02-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #347
aus
Major General

Skunk. Good stuff. Thanks.

Now can anyone comment on this Vossen Forged vs. the current Vossen wheel company? There must be something similar about the two to have essentially the same name?

Vossen is all over most boards and I want to know if they're decent or not.

02-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #348
Vic311
Major

Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inandout View Post
So COR = Vossen?
Vic311 is offline   United_States
      02-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #349
Hai_Cheo
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

Your first problem was buying Vossen in the first place.
      02-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #350
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: A22 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
This is just poor design with fundamental engineering flaws which make this dangerous. I'll talk about it below.

Okay, so as phillegal kindly pointed out, FEA can reasonably test a design so long as it is performed correctly. What I see from ADV.1 is a design that is very difficult to test. I have a feeling that ADV.1 did not do any sort of analysis on the bolts, because they are clearly in a single shear at the threads of the bolt. Therefore there are huge stress concentrations within the bolts and unless they are dramatically oversized (and some applications do compromise on this, it just has to be accounted for) they will be susceptible to shearing off. Whoever designs their wheels does not understand the basic design principles for fasteners.

Furthermore, the load paths look horrible. I get that people want a certain "look" to their car, but you can honestly make a better design in areas that aren't so visible so you have more direct loading through the spokes and not putting a relatively flat piece of metal in torsion.

And getting back to the second part of phillegal's comment: people value honestly and transparency. If you try to skirt around an issue, you aren't helping yourself. If you are upfront with what your situation is and doing to improve/remedy it, people will not hold that against you.

No, it doesn't mean that. The wheel on the right has higher crystalline refinement, if not being a better alloy in the first place, and therefore the stress-strain curve would go much higher. This would mean that more of the load put into the wheel would stay in the elastic region which would spring back in the opposite direction (think of the wheel acting as a spring) to both the wheel and impact device, rather than have the energy being dissipated through plastic deformation and even fracturing.

If you want a visual representation of this:
[u2b]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/rOEBR3DcqN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/u2b]

Yes. Forgings just have better crystalline grain refinement and allows for less material to be used if the grain in the direction of the loading, etc. But you can still mess it up, just as you can mess up a cast wheel. You really need to know how to engineer something to make a good product, given what materials and tools you have. And for a lot of these smaller companies, it's probably just one or two people designing all of their wheels; so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that if one wheel has issues, the others will as well, no matter how they were formed.

Half-truth...yes, a person can very well learn that wasn't taught to them in school. That still doesn't mean I'd trust just anybody with the design of a house...I'm in California near a fault line, I don't give a crap about an architect; I want to make sure the house is soundly built by a civil engineer who is a certified Professional Engineer.

Very, very true. People come on here to learn about what to do and what not to do. I'll comment where I have expertise and experience and hope people can make the most of it.

And I'm just including the second part because I think that message needs to be emphasized.
Just saw this post now. Thanks very much for your insight, that was a lot of good information.
      02-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #351
nbennettksu
Captain

good read. some crazy shit, I cant believe some of this crap gets out on the streets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
      02-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #352
JS-CLS550
Registered

Drives: MB CLS550

Very interesting!!!

Bump for a great thread!!!