BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
 
SpokenHands's Avatar
 
Drives: Maserati GT + 640d GC + 116i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warwickshire, England

Posts: 345
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Will the real Scott26 please stand up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
what a load of markeing bull.... revolutionary FWD car
There were a lot of knowing glances and smiles when "Scott26" was brought up in a global marketing pitch by advertising agencies in Munich a few months ago. Fact is "Scott26" is a part of a marketing plan, with timed and authorised scoops, to stoke the enthusiasm and word of mouth potential of enthusiasts.

I dont have a problem with it per se, i enjoy being drip fed good information and tantalising details, but there is a fine line I suppose
. A balance tipped when there is less content and substance, more marketing brochure blurb, and recent posts from Scott26 really show a loosening hold on this touch point.

The latest one on the 1er forums about the imminent FWD platforms for the i3 and Mini are a case in point.

No, it's not the fact that FWD BMWs will (and as predicted, have) inflamed passions. It's the fact that Scott26 has had less and less to say for the true BMW super fan and more and more marketing spin to distribute. Your readers are not fools, Herr Scott.

Leads me to think Scott26 is probably now run by committee at BMW Welt, a bunch of product and brand managers wetting themselves with their Word of Mouth expertise, when with every post executed by some poor brand executive, they erode the goodwill of super fans around the world post by post.

Last edited by SpokenHands; 08-07-2012 at 02:59 AM.
SpokenHands is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,104
iTrader: (1)

Its always been "known" that Scott26 (& Scott27) are not just one person but a bunch of people who work for BMW's marketing dept. And while he does seem to spoon feed us some good tibits from time to time... he is wrong (on the detials) a lot of the time too.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

I am Spartacus!
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Dr.Sommer
Private First Class
 
Dr.Sommer's Avatar
 
Drives: RWD BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: A

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post


[b]Leads me to think Scott26 is probably now run by committee at BMW Welt, a bunch of product and brand managers wetting themselves with their Word of Mouth expertise, when with every post executed by some poor brand executive, they erode the goodwill of super fans around the world post by post.
This kind of "scott26 postings" do a lot of damage within the loyal crowd. In a way they reveal what sort of minds are in charge these days.
BMW is like a good old friend who turns into an as....e more and more...
Dr.Sommer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
KingOfJericho
Brigadier General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 4,853
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Agreed.

I stopped taking anything he/she/it posted seriously after this load of shite.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
SCOTT26
Colonel
 
SCOTT26's Avatar
 
Drives: Amazonite Silver Beauty
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

Posts: 2,836
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Agreed.

I stopped taking anything he/she/it posted seriously after this load of shite.
If you actually had read further on you would have read that in the original strategy we put forward ideas which were unfortunately not possible due to the timeframe and budget for the 1M Coupe.
But when we get into the reality you can actually see that I am preparing you for the conception of BMW M Performance accessories.

So the choice might be limited but BMW have previewed such extensive CFRP items with the M3 CRT which will become accessories because of the BMWi investment in manufacturing volume CFRP.
The BMW M Performance line will expand over the next couple of years.

Hopefully one day you will see BMW's initial early ideas for the 1M most of which found its way within the 1M safety car.
In one way the next generation BMW M3/M4 were conceived with early evaluations of the 1M , allbeit BMW's experimentation with the N55 engine.

I should point out that in the early days of the F10 M, otherwise the M5.
I mentioned that a twin-turbo V10 was being evaluated , only again to be shot down until BMW showed the E60 M5 CSL with turbo-charged V10.

I think you have to realise is that what I report is some form of time travel.
I do not report the present , I report the future.
The name Scott is derived from the famous explorer. I know the industry very well having been indoctrinated at an early age and I know the market we compete in has rapidly progressed in the last 10 years.
The industry is an ever changing cycle what applies and decided today may be different tomorrow.

People also fail to understand BMW's overall goal is of automotive independence. FWD cars will achieve that goal as will SAV's high end supercars will not at the current time.
BMW responds to the market and market demands especially in projects that are offspring off existing platforms and have dedicated segments.
BMW's overall strategy to co-exist in a FWD share with MINI projects sales by 2020 to be 600,000 units combined to existing BMW sales and you wonder why Audi have had to postpone their 2015 goal.
These cars combined with MINI will be successful, mark my words. They are not exactly what I would call conventional concepts they have a BMW twist and that will add to their market appeal.
__________________
XS
SCOTT26 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
Dr.Sommer
Private First Class
 
Dr.Sommer's Avatar
 
Drives: RWD BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: A

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I should point out that in the early days of the F10 M, otherwise the M5.
I mentioned that a twin-turbo V10 was being evaluated , only again to be shot down until BMW showed the E60 M5 CSL with turbo-charged V10.
The E60 M5 CSL one off study did not have a turbo charged V10. It had the NA S85 V10 with increased stroke and 5,5 Liter instead of 5,0 Liter.
Would have been a fascinating ///M engine for the F10...
Dr.Sommer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,350
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
speculation is what drives the market.
Scott does move the market allright.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
GeeRam
Captain
 
GeeRam's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London,UK

Posts: 837
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
People also fail to understand BMW's overall goal is of automotive independence.
No they don't fail to understand that.

They fail to understand the warpped logic of wanting to dilute the 'brand' that has been historically built up by that independant company over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
FWD cars will achieve that goal as will SAV's


Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW responds to the market and market demands especially in projects that are offspring off existing platforms and have dedicated segments.
BMW's overall strategy to co-exist in a FWD share with MINI projects sales by 2020 to be 600,000 units combined to existing BMW sales and you wonder why Audi have had to postpone their 2015 goal.
These cars combined with MINI will be successful, mark my words. They are not exactly what I would call conventional concepts they have a BMW twist and that will add to their market appeal.
BMW could easily do FWD independantly, but at least use another ruddy badge, not the BMW one.
Expand the Mini badging for FWD (or bring back the Isetta name perhaps? from the past) anything but put the BMW badge on some shit fwd shopping trolley when BMW have spent so many years marketing the benefit of rwd etc.
If I wanted a fwd shopping trolley I'd have bought an Audi.
__________________
2011 135i M-Sport Coupe DCT ~ Bluewater:Coral Red | BMWP CF spoiler & BMWPE | Birds B1 suspension | Forge FMIC | Hartge footrest | Alufelgen CS7 & Pirelli P Zero

2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim ~ lots of mods
GeeRam is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
 
SpokenHands's Avatar
 
Drives: Maserati GT + 640d GC + 116i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warwickshire, England

Posts: 345
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
speculation is what drives the market.
Scott does move the market allright.
Just curious what market Scott26 moves at all?
A few thousand dedicated BMW enthusiasts like us?

How many could he convince to buy the 5GT , actually forget buy, even test drive as it very likely that if they did, they would buy. Scott26 appeals to a narrow demographic that frankly, are very self motivated BMW lovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I think you have to realise is that what I report is some form of time travel.
I do not report the present , I report the future. The name Scott is derived from the famous explorer. I know the industry very well having been indoctrinated at an early age and I know the market we compete in has rapidly progressed in the last 10 years. The industry is an ever changing cycle what applies and decided today may be different tomorrow.
As a BMW enthusiast who has owned several BMW cars, and who actively tweets and blogs on cars and BMWs in particular, my bu!!$hit meter is finely tuned and recently, Scott26 has begun to slip. Even his most recent response here suggests he is taking himself a bit too seriously, and when that happens; super fans tend to move on and find something or someone else.

Problem is Scott26 is run by a committee of product and brand managers in BMW Welt wetting themselves by their cleverness and expertise when in reality, if he kept it simple and about the cars and the exhilaration of motoring and the tantalising details; and cut out all the marketing brochureware and hard sell, he would actually finish what he started.

#JustSaying

Last edited by SpokenHands; 08-10-2012 at 04:56 PM.
SpokenHands is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,350
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
Just curious what market Scott26 moves at all?
A few thousand dedicated BMW enthusiasts like us?

How many could he convince to buy the 5GT , actually forget buy, even test drive as it very likely that if they did, they would buy. Scott26 appeals to a narrow demographic that frankly, are very self motivated BMW lovers.
he did move the market for people to buy the 1///M
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
Wolf
Captain
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Drives: on hold
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth

Posts: 717
iTrader: (0)

SCOTT26 was an genius marketing strategy before. But lately, this strategy isn't working anymore.. Forum members now can see right through him/they, it's just another way to make more money. Personally, whenever a company starts defending its products to prove what they are doing is right, they need to rethink their marketing strategy and go back to the drawing board.

We all know that change is good, but not all change is supposed to be right. SCOTT26 should change his/their strategy; it's getting old and irritating and irritating is very bad in marketing.

Sorry to bring back an old thread.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Wolf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
duk
///M
 
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 2,849
iTrader: (0)

hey guys im batman and it's okay i work out
__________________
2011 AW/FR 6MT E92 | Powered by Premier | Alekshop | ESS |
Rok n Peace Clothing: www.roknpeace.com

duk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST