BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

08-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #331
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
^nothing wrong with someone riding within their comfort level or within what public roads will allow.

That whole get rid of the strips mentality is what leads to people being incredibly dumb on the streets, carrying very un-needed lean angle, and engraving poor body position into your muscle memory.

Im knees down all over the track and still have a half inch of "chicken strips" left. Guess I dont know what Im doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
+1199 | Best comment in this entire thread!
Yeah, new riders are so focused on trying to keep up with more experienced riders, that they lose the basics and forget about learning, feeling and enjoying the bike. If you are an experienced rider, and never make mistakes, lead by example and teach and encourage the newcomers. Teach them well. Comments like "you still got chicken strips" only gets people hurt and damages beautiful motorcycles.
      08-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #332
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Yeah, new riders are so focused on trying to keep up with more experienced riders, that they lose the basics and forget about learning, feeling and enjoying the bike. If you are an experienced rider, and never make mistakes, lead by example and teach and encourage the newcomers. Teach them well. Comments like "you still got chicken strips" only gets people hurt and damages beautiful motorcycles.
If you own a S1000RR and can't scrub off your chicken strips then you're a squid. You bought the bike to show off, plain and simple. You don't learn how to ride on a S1000RR. Nobody teaches someone to ride on that bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link
nothing wrong with someone riding within their comfort level or within what public roads will allow.

That whole get rid of the strips mentality is what leads to people being incredibly dumb on the streets, carrying very un-needed lean angle, and engraving poor body position into your muscle memory.

Im knees down all over the track and still have a half inch of "chicken strips" left. Guess I dont know what Im doing.
Riding within their comfort level is one thing, but buying a 172hp liter bike is certainly outside the comfort level of someone who can't scrub off their 2inch chicken strips.

My wife certainly doesnt have poor body position and certainly doesnt have inappropriate lean angles when she rides on the street. Yet she doesnt have no where near the chicken strips those bikes do. Maybe it's because she did her advanced rider training at the track....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #333
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Riding within their comfort level is one thing, but buying a 172hp liter bike is certainly outside the comfort level of someone who can't scrub off their 2inch chicken strips.

My wife certainly doesnt have poor body position and certainly doesnt have inappropriate lean angles when she rides on the street. Yet she doesnt have no where near the chicken strips those bikes do. Maybe it's because she did her advanced rider training at the track....

There are sooo many more factors than you are wanting to awknowledge.

First off...there is no safe legal way to scrub off all of your tire on a public street. If you are carrying those lean angles...either you are carrying WAAAY too much lean angle for the speed you are going, or you are going WAAAY too fast for a public street. Period.

If you are just in a parking lot riding in circles to get rid of them, then that comes right back around to being a poser who thinks that it will make everyone think they are awesome riders.

So. Ignoring the fact that you shouldnt be going that fast on public streets, lets use the "canyon carver" bullshit justification.

Not everyone lives near canyons. Hell. Some people live in inner city or the pancake flats of Florida where there arent turns for 30 miles at a time.

There was an argument just a few pages back, maybe the last page where people were saying that you can own something without having to take it balls to the wall every time you get on it. Such as owning a lamborgini. Most people who drive one aren't using it to the full potential, and a greater majority probably shouldnt even be behind the wheel of one. Oh well. That is life.

I fully agree that EVERYONE that owns one of these machines should get to the track, and advance their skills. But just because someone has "chicken strips" is not reason to redicule them. Im WAY more impressed with the guy that gets a BMW S1kRR and has the will power and common sense to ride within his limits, than I am of the asshats on every other liter bike or 600 that go out to Mulholland Drive and wreck on the same damn corner every weekend just trying to drag a knee so they can have bragging scrapes on their pucks.

A true rider knows its not about how "low" you can get, but how upright you can keep the bike while hauling ass around a turn. It may not have the same street cred, but they can tell me that as I pass their ass on the outside carrying half the lean angle they are.
      08-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #334
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

^
Couldn`t have said it better myself. My opinion exactly !!

I`m proud to own a S1000RR an a 1M, and no, I realy can`t reach full potential of both gorgious machines, but it doesn`t matter, even Rossi can`t, remember; there will always sombody be stronger, faster, better.........if you can accept that, it will make you at ease and makes you enjoy your own level of performance without being frustrated and making dumb misstakes.........IMHO
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #335
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There are sooo many more factors than you are wanting to awknowledge.

First off...there is no safe legal way to scrub off all of your tire on a public street. If you are carrying those lean angles...either you are carrying WAAAY too much lean angle for the speed you are going, or you are going WAAAY too fast for a public street. Period.

If you are just in a parking lot riding in circles to get rid of them, then that comes right back around to being a poser who thinks that it will make everyone think they are awesome riders.

So. Ignoring the fact that you shouldnt be going that fast on public streets, lets use the "canyon carver" bullshit justification.

Not everyone lives near canyons. Hell. Some people live in inner city or the pancake flats of Florida where there arent turns for 30 miles at a time.

There was an argument just a few pages back, maybe the last page where people were saying that you can own something without having to take it balls to the wall every time you get on it. Such as owning a lamborgini. Most people who drive one aren't using it to the full potential, and a greater majority probably shouldnt even be behind the wheel of one. Oh well. That is life.

I fully agree that EVERYONE that owns one of these machines should get to the track, and advance their skills. But just because someone has "chicken strips" is not reason to redicule them. Im WAY more impressed with the guy that gets a BMW S1kRR and has the will power and common sense to ride within his limits, than I am of the asshats on every other liter bike or 600 that go out to Mulholland Drive and wreck on the same damn corner every weekend just trying to drag a knee so they can have bragging scrapes on their pucks.

A true rider knows its not about how "low" you can get, but how upright you can keep the bike while hauling ass around a turn. It may not have the same street cred, but they can tell me that as I pass their ass on the outside carrying half the lean angle they are.
who the hell drags knees on the street? that would make for some nasty scabs!

so where to begin.... here's the inherint flaw to your argument. why buy a 172hp literbike if you're just cruising around town??? true self conrtol is knowing you're not doing any riding that needs a sportbike and buying a cruiser or a standard.

i grew up in LA, and can say i'm one of those knuckleheads who flew up muhulland every weekend. shit happens when you're young and dumb, but i've learned. i'll continue to use my wife as an example. she wants a sportbike, always has even before she could ride. i told her, she can take the MSF and then we can see what bike we were going to buy her after. well after that, we bought her a kawi 250r. she chased me around for three months, but honestly didnt get much better even with some coaching tips i could provide. very cautious rider, well aware of her limits even on a 250. well i signed her up for an advanced riders course at the track. after two days, i noticed a HUGE improvement in her riding her 250. I put her on my bike, and seriously she ripped. does my wife ride around town like dani pedrosa? no, but she definitely knows her limits and goes for it when she thinks it's okay. so again, you're appaulding self confidence for not riding a s1000rr out of their limits, but i say why buy a bike you're obviously not in the same league as.

as for the lambo argument. the lambo wasnt built for the track. same reason they dont race their cars in any series. it's made for stupid speed. i can say with certain confidence that every lambo owner has broken several speed laws or made that pedal meet the ground. so in fact, it's met it's purpose of stupid speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #336
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
so where to begin.... here's the inherint flaw to your argument. why buy a 172hp literbike if you're just cruising around town??? true self conrtol is knowing you're not doing any riding that needs a sportbike and buying a cruiser or a standard.
In that case, why buy a BMW when a 88 Ford Pinto will do the same thing?
      08-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #337
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
In that case, why buy a BMW when a 88 Ford Pinto will do the same thing?
not sure about you, but i definitely use the throttle of my m3. when the mood fits me, i do break some laws. not everyday, but it occurs frequently

let's just agree to disagree on this one...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #338
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Like this guy
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #339
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

Or why buy an SUV when you never take it offroad?

We can go back and forth all day. Bottom line is, people get shit because they

A. Want to
B. Like it
3. Because they want to.

By your argument no one should be riding a S1krr or any other sport bike on the street. Ever. People dont NEED anything in this world, other than food, water, and shelter. Everything else just makes them happy.

So if he is content and happy cruising around town in a 172 hp motorcycle, and isn't bothering anyone else, or endangering anyone else's life...then what is the big deal?

As I said, Im more concerned by the idiots that are out to prove themselves or look cool in front of their buddies.

Different strokes for different folks. When i get to san diego I will be getting another bike to ride on the street again. And guess what. Im gonna spend the majority of my time going back and forth from work, in traffic, in a straight line. And you arent gonna catch me on a cruiser. Ever. So yes, it will be a sportbike. And it will have MASSIVE chicken strips. Feel free to stop me and call me a noob or tell me Im wasting a good bike, and I will ignore you and happily go on with my day.
      08-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #340
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Or why buy an SUV when you never take it offroad?

We can go back and forth all day. Bottom line is, people get shit because they

A. Want to
B. Like it
3. Because they want to.

By your argument no one should be riding a S1krr or any other sport bike on the street. Ever. People dont NEED anything in this world, other than food, water, and shelter. Everything else just makes them happy.

So if he is content and happy cruising around town in a 172 hp motorcycle, and isn't bothering anyone else, or endangering anyone else's life...then what is the big deal?

As I said, Im more concerned by the idiots that are out to prove themselves or look cool in front of their buddies.

Different strokes for different folks. When i get to san diego I will be getting another bike to ride on the street again. And guess what. Im gonna spend the majority of my time going back and forth from work, in traffic, in a straight line. And you arent gonna catch me on a cruiser. Ever. So yes, it will be a sportbike. And it will have MASSIVE chicken strips. Feel free to stop me and call me a noob or tell me Im wasting a good bike, and I will ignore you and happily go on with my day.
i have no problem doing that, will oblige there sailor...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #341
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

I guess my point is, instead of saying something stupid like "Get rid of those Chicken strips" you should be offering real advice such as....

Wow that is a powerful bike. You should really get to a track or try to get in on one of the California Superbike Schools so you can push your potential in a safe environment.

I think we both have the same end result desire. To get more people on the track, where they can improve their skills ten fold over any MSF course where they ride around in a parking lot at 20mph for 6 hours. So instead of ridiculing, try to point them in the right direction. If they take your advice, awesome! If not, then there isn't much you can do anyways. But blindly encouraging them to go out and get rid of den chicken strips is not the way to promote riding skills and safety.

/end
      08-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #342
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I guess my point is, instead of saying something stupid like "Get rid of those Chicken strips" you should be offering real advice such as....

Wow that is a powerful bike. You should really get to a track or try to get in on one of the California Superbike Schools so you can push your potential in a safe environment.

I think we both have the same end result desire. To get more people on the track, where they can improve their skills ten fold over any MSF course where they ride around in a parking lot at 20mph for 6 hours. So instead of ridiculing, try to point them in the right direction. If they take your advice, awesome! If not, then there isn't much you can do anyways. But blindly encouraging them to go out and get rid of den chicken strips is not the way to promote riding skills and safety.

/end
if you read back about 10 pages you will see a comment from me that says exactly the same. parapharing here, but i said that msf teaches you squat about riding, track instruction is what you really need

edit: found it here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=31

Last edited by Digital.James; 08-07-2012 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #343
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep

Sweet!

We are in agreement! Quick someone....change the subject!

08-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #344
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I like Chickens.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #345
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Dearly miss my ZX-6R.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #346
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3 View Post
Like this guy
that about sums it up...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #347
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

I agree with Both James and B0link.

One thing I will add though is that chicken strips can be a good thing depending on the rider. Chicken strips on your local shorts and sandals douche on riding a litre bike is not what I'm talking about. His chicken strips are there because he can't take the corners worth shit because he's too busy riding for the image and show.

Who I'm talking about is the canyon carver, if he still has chicken strips, that CAN mean that he's not carrying much lean angle which means he's got more grip and tire under reserve if shit hits the fan. He could very well still be carrying similar corner speed as the guy hanging off if his body positioning is good.

I'm much more of a hang off and crank the bike over type of rider, but I understand not everyone is that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #348
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Razzy, can we just talk about the bikes, not the people who ride them? No need to turn every page into discussion about whatever douche bags riding them.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #349
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

.b0link is crushing souls in this thread.

that's awesome.

and yes, if i wanted a ZX-14R, i'd get one. i would ride it the same way as my Buell 1203.

i drove my 335i the same as my 392 - it rarely sees any wide open throttling.

my new truck has a 5.5" lift on it and 35's, but i've only taken it in the soup twice since last December.

i have all of these things because i can, not necessarily because i want to tip toe on the border of their respective performance levels.....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #350
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
I agree with Both James and B0link.

One thing I will add though is that chicken strips can be a good thing depending on the rider. Chicken strips on your local shorts and sandals douche on riding a litre bike is not what I'm talking about. His chicken strips are there because he can't take the corners worth shit because he's too busy riding for the image and show.

Who I'm talking about is the canyon carver, if he still has chicken strips, that CAN mean that he's not carrying much lean angle which means he's got more grip and tire under reserve if shit hits the fan. He could very well still be carrying similar corner speed as the guy hanging off if his body positioning is good.

I'm much more of a hang off and crank the bike over type of rider, but I understand not everyone is that way.
Sorry guys I missed the 'Real Housewives of the Motorcycle Thread' drama

Anyway, your comment reminds me of one time I was on the curvy Sunset Blvd in Pacific Palisades, almost by the school down there heading toward PCH. Was on my SV650.

I came up on this guy who was taking a left turn hanging off with his knee down, touching down and everything. I passed him mid corner in the outside lane, sitting upright on my bike, carrying more corner speed! It was hilarious and ridiculous at the same time.

I didn't see his chicken strips, but it was clear he wasn't carrying so much corner speed that he needed to touch down his knee. Squid 101.

Save that crap for the track!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #351
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE. She will be missed.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #352
Das Ein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Audi TTS, '17 500 Abarth

And back in the day... 1998 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Appreciate 0