BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
M Pulse
Private First Class
Canada
7
Rep
141
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

What do you feed your M3 in Canada? 91 or 94 octane?

I'm curious what other fellow board members feed their M3's in Canada? Is there any noticeable difference between 91 & 94 octane? I believe BMW Canada recommends 91 so is there any benefit to go higher?

Also, if I were to switch to 94 octane is it recommended that I don't go back to 91?

Do you guys always tend to get the same gas brand, any particular brands to absolutely stay away from?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,662
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

94 octane gas has at least 10% ethanol, which is not necessarily a good thing.

Best gas around IMO is Shell 91 V Power with no ethanol.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Alex07M3
Colonel
26
Rep
2,121
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

I usually put 91 and a lot of time 94, specially the day before I go to the drag strip to let the ECU adapt to maximize the performance, I saw somewhere that the ECU can adapt up to 96octane!
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, KW V3s, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
BMWNTHZST's Avatar
Canada
18
Rep
1,018
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (25)

Garage List
Shell 91 V Power
__________________
2011 E70 X5 ///M Black Sapphire Metallic / Black
2008 E93 335i Black Sapphire Metallic / Saddle Brown
1997 840Ci Jet Black / Black
2004 E46 ///M3 Laguna Seca Blue / Black
2011 E92 ///M3 Alpine White / Black (gone but not forgotten )
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
DJDeez
Got my license back!
DJDeez's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
200
Posts

 
Drives: TransLink
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surrey, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
94 octane gas has at least 10% ethanol, which is not necessarily a good thing.
I use Chevron Supreme Plus 94, it contains no ethanol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I saw somewhere that the ECU can adapt up to 96octane!
It can adapt to even higher ratings, PencilGeek experienced large gains between 91 and 100 octane as seen in these dyno graphs
__________________
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Simma
First Lieutenant
Simma's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
323
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Shell 91 V-Power
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
43
Rep
3,875
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

In BC: chevron 94
Elsewhere: shell 91
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
crunchy_frog
Private
crunchy_frog's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

i bounce between esso 91 and shell 91-depending on which is more convenient for me at that moment
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
redline9001
Captain
redline9001's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
656
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, MDX, Titan
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Did we not do this thread last week?
__________________
2011 E92 M3 | JEREZ BLACK | EXTENDED BAMBOO NOVILLO | EXECUTIVE PKG | M-DRIVE | EDC | M-DCT
MODS | KW S/O | HRE P40SC | Akra Evo |ESS Akra Tune | BMC drop in | StopTech Trophies | TMS Pulley | LUX V3
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
canadian stig
Banned
canadian stig's Avatar
3
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

anything wrong with petro canada 91 octane?????????????????? how come no one uses it?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
py0413
Major
py0413's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,178
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

iTrader: (2)

I used any 91 grade I could find, chevron, esso, petro-canada, husky, mohawk, shell, costco, super store. Never had an issue related to gas being used.
__________________
Must stop eating..............
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
JulieDriving's Avatar
30
Rep
2,308
Posts

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The key for me is no ethanol. I started using Shell V power 91 because of that, since the 335i is sensitive to fuel quality. Pleased with how our cars responded with it, will continue using it and ethanol free gas for my M.
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
2,390
Posts

 
Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9001 View Post
Did we not do this thread last week?
Yeah lol
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493740
__________________

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
apecush
Lieutenant
6
Rep
448
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Ah the no ethanol brigade. What reasons do you have other than hearsay not to use it? I use PC 94 (have also used husky 94 in my 450 whp supra) and have zero issues other than increased power over 91. The use of ethanol MIGHT reduce the energy content of the gasoline by 1-2%, which is offset by the additional timing that can be run. On the highway, I notice no difference in fuel economy.

As far as vpower is concerned, this thread is proof that shell does a bang up job at marketing.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
enfield
Civilian
enfield's Avatar
Canada
23
Rep
945
Posts

 
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
Ah the no ethanol brigade. What reasons do you have other than hearsay not to use it? I use PC 94 (have also used husky 94 in my 450 whp supra) and have zero issues other than increased power over 91. The use of ethanol MIGHT reduce the energy content of the gasoline by 1-2%, which is offset by the additional timing that can be run. On the highway, I notice no difference in fuel economy.

As far as vpower is concerned, this thread is proof that shell does a bang up job at marketing.
Both my Z4M and M3 had issues with ethanol in gasoline. They would run rough for the first 5-10 minutes. Did not have that problem with Shell V-Power.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
///Montreal3's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
236
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ///Montreal

iTrader: (0)

I feed my M3 and STi PC94 with no issues.

My 335i and 348 get Shell V-Power 91.
__________________
BMW: 2011 AW/Black E92 M3 DCT - 2010 BSM/Tan E90 335i AT
Other: 2004 AW GDB STi 6spd - 1991 Nero/Nero 348tb 5spd
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #17
DJDeez
Got my license back!
DJDeez's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
200
Posts

 
Drives: TransLink
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Surrey, BC

iTrader: (1)

What you should know about what goes into your tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
What reasons do you have other than hearsay not to use it?
In combustion, ethanol provides less energy than gasoline, resulting in reduced fuel economy. When ethanol burns inside the engine, it tends to form a weaker mixture that may casue misfire, rough idle and cold start issues in your vehicle. In addition, engine components may deteriorate over time when in contact with ethanol.

The above quote is an excerpt from BMW themselves, feel free to click here to read the bulletin in its entirety.
__________________
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #18
Seven7
First Lieutenant
Canada
15
Rep
348
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver BC

iTrader: (1)

cheveron 94
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #19
MMME30W
Riff Raff Refugee
MMME30W's Avatar
Germany
10
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: Civic
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
Ah the no ethanol brigade. What reasons do you have other than hearsay not to use it? I use PC 94 (have also used husky 94 in my 450 whp supra) and have zero issues other than increased power over 91. The use of ethanol MIGHT reduce the energy content of the gasoline by 1-2%, which is offset by the additional timing that can be run. On the highway, I notice no difference in fuel economy.

As far as vpower is concerned, this thread is proof that shell does a bang up job at marketing.
Or it could be that individuals are doing research and choosing a good product sold by a quality distributor.

I documented an immediate reduction in fuel mileage of 15% with Ethanol in my E46 ZHP.
__________________


Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
KmndntKlink's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
421
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 e92 m3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

lol v-power. I'm still in the camp that gas in canada is basically the same regardless of who supplies it (except for octane rating of course). I use OLCO 91, cuz its on my route from work, the people are nice and I get VIP points to offset the already cheaper gas. I tried shell 91 v-power for a while, no difference except prices are constantly $1.40+ even if market price goes down. That pissed me off so I stopped buying it. I save like 10-20$ when I fill up now. In terms of fuel economy, its unchanged. Seriously no difference in sound, smoothness or anything. Still pulling 11.5L/100k which I think is damn good for the beastly v8

Maybe i'm wrong and v-power is the best thing since sliced bread, but I can't notice any difference, not in normal driving. Maybe ill pay closer attention to cold starts though, does it really make a difference? Sometimes it turns over a little longer, but I can't reproduce it reliably so idk.

edit: I kind of agree with apecush, shell's marketing is good. I'm sure I've read some articles before that proved the gas comes from the same place and goes to the stations. only difference is the picture on the side of the truck.
__________________
E92 ///M3 in Dakar Yellow, M-DCT, iDrive, 220M OEM rims, Active Autowerke Green filter, Turner Motorsport test pipes, BPM stage 2 tune, Stoptech ST-40 F+R in yellow.

Last edited by KmndntKlink; 09-01-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #21
canadian stig
Banned
canadian stig's Avatar
3
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post
lol v-power. I'm still in the camp that gas in canada is basically the same regardless of who supplies it (except for octane rating of course). I use OLCO 91, cuz its on my route from work, the people are nice and I get VIP points to offset the already cheaper gas. I tried shell 91 v-power for a while, no difference except prices are constantly $1.40+ even if market price goes down. That pissed me off so I stopped buying it. I save like 10-20$ when I fill up now. In terms of fuel economy, its unchanged. Seriously no difference in sound, smoothness or anything. Still pulling 11.5L/100k which I think is damn good for the beastly v8

Maybe i'm wrong and v-power is the best thing since sliced bread, but I can't notice any difference, not in normal driving. Maybe ill pay closer attention to cold starts though, does it really make a difference? Sometimes it turns over a little longer, but I can't reproduce it reliably so idk.

edit: I kind of agree with apecush, shell's marketing is good. I'm sure I've read some articles before that proved the gas comes from the same place and goes to the stations. only difference is the picture on the side of the truck.
Holy crap! 11L/100km You drive like a grandma! lol. I can't get any better than 16L/100km. My wallet is screaming everytime I pull over at a gas station

And yes, there are basically just 2 or 3 companies I believe that refine gasoline for the canadian market. So all gas is technically the same. I believe the real difference is in the additives and detergents. Each company has its own concoctions. Though I personally haven't noticed any difference in performance or fuel economy. I use petro canada often just because it's right next to my home.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
KmndntKlink's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
421
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 e92 m3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian stig View Post
Holy crap! 11L/100km You drive like a grandma! lol. I can't get any better than 16L/100km. My wallet is screaming everytime I pull over at a gas station

And yes, there are basically just 2 or 3 companies I believe that refine gasoline for the canadian market. So all gas is technically the same. I believe the real difference is in the additives and detergents. Each company has its own concoctions. Though I personally haven't noticed any difference in performance or fuel economy. I use petro canada often just because it's right next to my home.
daaaamn 16! you're quite the spirited young wipper snapper aren't you ? I was proud of my 11.5, until I went out with some friends and was showing off, now I have 11.8, guess I shouldn't complain lol. It's all about the efficient driving and highway. Slow stops and avoiding slowdowns in lanes is key. also saves your brakes! those are $$$

Does anyone actually use 93? maybe if you supercharged? I don't even know where to find it. I think husky used to have it but then they were bought by esso and now they don't.
__________________
E92 ///M3 in Dakar Yellow, M-DCT, iDrive, 220M OEM rims, Active Autowerke Green filter, Turner Motorsport test pipes, BPM stage 2 tune, Stoptech ST-40 F+R in yellow.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST